Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Street Fighter IV

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Jul 18, 2008

After nearly a decade in hiatus, Capcom's signature mainline fighting game series resurfaces with its fourth main installment, combining the traditional 2D gameplay with modern fully-3D graphics.

I love you why don't you love me back.

Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

Edited By Jeffsekai

I main Blanka and use a SE stick with modded parts

I bought Street Fighter 4 first day and have been playing it since I have over 150hrs of game time in it, I love it when im doing well ( and even sometimes when im not) I'd like to think Street Fighter 4 is one of my favorite games ever and that im better than the average player. But even after all this time I still cant wrap my head around even some of the most basic prince-ables of Street Fighter 4 most notably combos(Links in particular) and cross-ups. I have no idea what it is with trying to link things together that gives me such a hard time I either just end up spamming the button (even tho I know that wont work..) or waiting too long and miss the combo seriously its depressing when I read everything I have and still cant preform one of the most basic things in the game. Secondly the cross-up I can neither do a cross-up or defend againt one...ever. When ever I try to do a cross up(with Blankas j.mk) it just fails they either just anti air me or I don't even make it over them and then get raped. Now before you ask I under stand the concept very well of defending the cross-up you just block in the opposite direction but no matter how hard I try or how fast I block in the other direction it never works, I either get crossed up anyways or they don't make it over me and im left walking into them. And if I try to use Blankas up-ball? nopeee they either punish it completely or we trade...hell even if I go for electricity it never comes out in time EVEN if i am using turbo (which I never do unless im testing this very situation) it never works and it saddens me that I can't do anything about it..I;ve have a perfect going un-till the other player decides to cross me up ..it works and they do ti again they then reliase they have a good thing going and win the match.

Now this is'nt me calling Street Fighter 4 a bad game..hell no I think its amazing and I love watching it and playing it( as I said before) I am just so frustrated with it right now to the point where its depressing. I think part of the reason why I have such a hard time with combos is my character choice, Blanka, I love the guy and even before the game came out I decided he was going to be my main because of how different he played...little did I kn ow how little combos he actually had not to mention hes a charge character. By picking him up as soon as the game came out I seem to have built a huge wall between me and every single other character in the game (except maybe geif) I tried learning the shotos but can't do any of there combos or apply any of there basic stratiges to my gameplay to help me get better with them but nothing works I'm stuck just throwing fireballs and spamming dragon punch while I mash on light punch.

I really don't know what to do at this point, I really wanna keep enjoying street fighter but even the newish people in player matches seem to give me a hard time...as I said before its depressing. I am sure I'll just keep working on it mabey try to learn how to FADC or somthing hell I don't know....

I love you...why don't you love me back.
    Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By Jeffsekai

I main Blanka and use a SE stick with modded parts

I bought Street Fighter 4 first day and have been playing it since I have over 150hrs of game time in it, I love it when im doing well ( and even sometimes when im not) I'd like to think Street Fighter 4 is one of my favorite games ever and that im better than the average player. But even after all this time I still cant wrap my head around even some of the most basic prince-ables of Street Fighter 4 most notably combos(Links in particular) and cross-ups. I have no idea what it is with trying to link things together that gives me such a hard time I either just end up spamming the button (even tho I know that wont work..) or waiting too long and miss the combo seriously its depressing when I read everything I have and still cant preform one of the most basic things in the game. Secondly the cross-up I can neither do a cross-up or defend againt one...ever. When ever I try to do a cross up(with Blankas j.mk) it just fails they either just anti air me or I don't even make it over them and then get raped. Now before you ask I under stand the concept very well of defending the cross-up you just block in the opposite direction but no matter how hard I try or how fast I block in the other direction it never works, I either get crossed up anyways or they don't make it over me and im left walking into them. And if I try to use Blankas up-ball? nopeee they either punish it completely or we trade...hell even if I go for electricity it never comes out in time EVEN if i am using turbo (which I never do unless im testing this very situation) it never works and it saddens me that I can't do anything about it..I;ve have a perfect going un-till the other player decides to cross me up ..it works and they do ti again they then reliase they have a good thing going and win the match.

Now this is'nt me calling Street Fighter 4 a bad game..hell no I think its amazing and I love watching it and playing it( as I said before) I am just so frustrated with it right now to the point where its depressing. I think part of the reason why I have such a hard time with combos is my character choice, Blanka, I love the guy and even before the game came out I decided he was going to be my main because of how different he played...little did I kn ow how little combos he actually had not to mention hes a charge character. By picking him up as soon as the game came out I seem to have built a huge wall between me and every single other character in the game (except maybe geif) I tried learning the shotos but can't do any of there combos or apply any of there basic stratiges to my gameplay to help me get better with them but nothing works I'm stuck just throwing fireballs and spamming dragon punch while I mash on light punch.

I really don't know what to do at this point, I really wanna keep enjoying street fighter but even the newish people in player matches seem to give me a hard time...as I said before its depressing. I am sure I'll just keep working on it mabey try to learn how to FADC or somthing hell I don't know....

I love you...why don't you love me back.
    Stang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Stang

There is no love for Blanka...that ugly furry bastard! I say ditch him!

SpecialBuddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By SpecialBuddy

Well if your looking for a different character to try i suggest going for a different charge character. It might be a little easier to transition that way. I personally like Honda or Guile off of a Blanka transition. Now if you not wanting to switch im giving private lessons. 20 bucks a session but right now im having a special of 20 dollars off if you mention this add every lesson. Hit me up and ill do my best to teach you somethings me being the linking and crossup master.
    Stang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Stang
    @SpecialBuddy: You should pay us, seeing we will suck more after the lessons.

zing!
    SpecialBuddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By SpecialBuddy
    @Stang: How bout this. I come to your house and you pay me to kick you in the nuts. That way you can just die and so do your kids.
    Stang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Stang

How can I resist such a sweet offer? Im sold.

Avatar image for emandudeguyperson
    Emandudeguyperson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By Emandudeguyperson

I hate SF, and most of Capcom's games, it's almost like their motto is "don't publish the game if it's not insanely hard".

Gambit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By Gambit

I'm giving free lessons on how to beat specialbuddy its a 3 part process.
     step 1- pick a character with a dragon punch or dragon punch type move
     Step 2- do said dragon punch or dragon punch type move
     step 3- Beat specialbuddy then laugh.

And jeff sometimes even if you really like a character and spend alot of time on it. You can only go so far and need to cut your losses. I started out using cammy but giving her up was the best thing I did. I suggest you give bison a try he's a charge move character he has some good fairly easy combos and some nice pokes. Plus he has the purple power punch.
    I really think you should give it a shot im not that great of a bison player but next time your on send me an invite and I'll show you what I know with him if you want.

lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#9  Edited By lordofultima
    LP LP <-- LK HP

I just reversal demon'd this thread. Oh snap.
    SpecialBuddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By SpecialBuddy
    @lordofultima: *jump* Beat that.
    Renahzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11  Edited By Renahzor

IMO, 'rog is currently hands down the best charge character in the game.  Blanka was good a couple months ago when people were still figuring him out, now people realize almost everything he has is unsafe, and knowing how to counter his ultra makes a big difference (not eating even that chip damage is very important in some matches)

The problem with Balrog is links, which are a big part of making him a very solid character.  Hit confirmable block strings that end in a high damage unsafe move are becoming more and more necessary to play Sf4, and nearly all of these are link combos.  I think of all the characters, ryu and rufus likely rely the least on links (unless you consider rufus st.hp hp tornado a link, im not sure if it is or not).  They have safe pressure and can use their safe moves to apply pressure at the end of blockstrings without having to hit confirm a long link chain.  They also have good link combos if you want to use them, but one of my friends is a very solid ryu and he rarely uses the links available to him.  

To figure out link timing, go to training mode, and pick someone with a link combo that you know.  the 'rog combo listed above will work, as will cammy with cr.lk cr.lp cr.lk xx rh spiral arrow, and many others.  start out spamming it, notice the special move doesn't come out, many times the last poke wont come out depending how much you're spamming them.  gradually slow down your button presses.  its kinda like a rhythm game, once you find the link timing, its pretty similar across characters(some are a frame faster or slower, some links are just really hard due to the precise timing needed and no real indicator. Cammys standing close mp, cr.mk link still eludes me no matter how many times i try). 

lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#12  Edited By lordofultima
    @SpecialBuddy: you can't jump a reversal demon LOSER. It's like blocking greenhand/ex greenhand. reversal demon is guaranteed son.
    SamStrife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#13  Edited By SamStrife

I'm in the exact same position as the OP really; a Blanka main who struggles with combos.  the thing is though, Blanka has very few worthwhile combos anyway, so it isn't much of a deal with him.  Instead of trying and failing at them, I tend to play a few mind games with them...

...namely doing a HP Roll to take a hit, then doing a LP Roll to make them think I'm doing the same move again.  it's amazing how many times it lures people into opening themselves up for a load of hits.  Try luring them like that, then when they're open, punish them by jumping in with a high kick, then as soon as you make contact forward High Medium Punch them for a 2 hit overhead, and keep smasking MP to electrify them out of it.  You can then wake-up game them with a slide or a backstep roll or summat.

SpecialBuddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By SpecialBuddy
    @lordofultima: Jeeeezz someone takes their reversal demons seriously.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.