Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Street Fighter IV

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Jul 18, 2008

After nearly a decade in hiatus, Capcom's signature mainline fighting game series resurfaces with its fourth main installment, combining the traditional 2D gameplay with modern fully-3D graphics.

My Issue With Street Fighter IV

bacongames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

Edited By bacongames

I think I finally need to just put this in writing as opposed to running around my house yelling to myself.  I recently played Street Fighter IV having never played a Street Fighter game thinking this is finally going to be the game to get into that genre.  Wrong.  So wrong in fact that I'm still irritated by it days later.  This is more an issue of principle than anything so it may seem a little meh to some people but I don't care at this point.

I made a thread asking for a fighting alternative to SFIV if I already played games like MK and SC a lot.  I pretty much concluded that I should try Tekken like I assumed from the beginning.  But I digress.  This may get into the state of fighting games and it probably will because SFIV is a perfect example of what's wrong with the genre.  It's actually not as bad off as people make it out to be, but it's not healthy either.

The one thing that SFIV does that really pisses me off to no end is that focuses on the higher end of the fighting game spectrum and leaves you hanging.  What?  Let me explain.  For years people have praised Street Fighter for elevating the genre beyond it's simple beginnings into something much more substantial.  However because we no longer live in the area of the arcade, the assumption that people coming in to play the game already know what's going on must go.  It's also the issue with the RTS genre which is making much better progress it seems.  I am fully capable of most, if not all the moves in probably any fighting game.  I've played enough Street Fighter IV to know that it's a great game and one I am capable of eventually learning.  I have committed many hours to learning Scorpion in every MK game and Mitsurugi in every SC along with being proficient in a few others.  The issue of capability isn't one at all.

It really comes down to how SFIV doesn't do anything to compliment the fact that the meat of the game is above the basic moves the game provides you.  I got the impression that the game didn't want me to get it, it just wanted those people who already knew how to play.  Now I know the game is different from other Street Fighters so everyone had to learn new moves but it's a much different story if you've never played a SF game before.

If a game takes the complicated approach but doesn't do anything to help that, what am I supposed to think?  Good job let me dive right in?  It's like giving a kid a Calculus 1 textbook who has never taken it before, and telling him to just 'go".  Anyone can probably put the work in, take the time, and learn the subject matter, but that's not how it should be done.  There should be something more than the Challenge Mode to teach people how to play.  It shouldn't spoon feed you everything, but it surely doesn't do anything more than giving you grocery money for the week.

The more and more I think about it, the more I understand where people are coming from when they say they don't play fighting games.  I don't blame them for having that perception of them being too technical, too complicated, or just too much.  It's partly true but when the game itself and the surrounding culture (ie all the players of a game like SFIV) reinforce it to a certain degree, no wonder progress is slow.  Don't get me wrong, I love fighting games, and I bet I could love Street Fighter if I was familiar with it, but it shouldn't be mandatory.  Either what I consider the low end (basic moves and gameplay) needs to be fleshed out, or I need to get to the high end in a fun or meaningful way.  If the game makes no effort to get me where I should be, why would try and meet it halfway when it won't?  At that point, I'll just play another game.

But the usual response to this is, "do your homework and you'll get better".  At what point am I paying money for work?  An article on The Escapist talked about the state of the way video games teach players about mechanics, method, and theory.  It continues to come back in my head as I debate this...in my head.  The burden is on the developer to make the game either engaging to learn, or a diverse range so people of all interest levels can see a good game.  I can't help but think the phrase "fan service" when a game expects you to know how to play if it take the more complex route.  Extreme examples are BlazBlue and Arma II.

In the end I'll get a decent controller for my PC, try again, learn the game just fine, and enjoy it just fine.  But at the back of my mind, it angers me beyond reason the means I need to get to that desired end.  I want to yell at the game, "I SHOULDN'T HAVE TO DO IT THIS WAY!" followed my many expletives.  This post may seem like a bunch of hot air to someone who is familiar with the franchise, but as a newcomer to SF, I find it seems to resonate with people in the same boat. 

bacongames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By bacongames

I think I finally need to just put this in writing as opposed to running around my house yelling to myself.  I recently played Street Fighter IV having never played a Street Fighter game thinking this is finally going to be the game to get into that genre.  Wrong.  So wrong in fact that I'm still irritated by it days later.  This is more an issue of principle than anything so it may seem a little meh to some people but I don't care at this point.

I made a thread asking for a fighting alternative to SFIV if I already played games like MK and SC a lot.  I pretty much concluded that I should try Tekken like I assumed from the beginning.  But I digress.  This may get into the state of fighting games and it probably will because SFIV is a perfect example of what's wrong with the genre.  It's actually not as bad off as people make it out to be, but it's not healthy either.

The one thing that SFIV does that really pisses me off to no end is that focuses on the higher end of the fighting game spectrum and leaves you hanging.  What?  Let me explain.  For years people have praised Street Fighter for elevating the genre beyond it's simple beginnings into something much more substantial.  However because we no longer live in the area of the arcade, the assumption that people coming in to play the game already know what's going on must go.  It's also the issue with the RTS genre which is making much better progress it seems.  I am fully capable of most, if not all the moves in probably any fighting game.  I've played enough Street Fighter IV to know that it's a great game and one I am capable of eventually learning.  I have committed many hours to learning Scorpion in every MK game and Mitsurugi in every SC along with being proficient in a few others.  The issue of capability isn't one at all.

It really comes down to how SFIV doesn't do anything to compliment the fact that the meat of the game is above the basic moves the game provides you.  I got the impression that the game didn't want me to get it, it just wanted those people who already knew how to play.  Now I know the game is different from other Street Fighters so everyone had to learn new moves but it's a much different story if you've never played a SF game before.

If a game takes the complicated approach but doesn't do anything to help that, what am I supposed to think?  Good job let me dive right in?  It's like giving a kid a Calculus 1 textbook who has never taken it before, and telling him to just 'go".  Anyone can probably put the work in, take the time, and learn the subject matter, but that's not how it should be done.  There should be something more than the Challenge Mode to teach people how to play.  It shouldn't spoon feed you everything, but it surely doesn't do anything more than giving you grocery money for the week.

The more and more I think about it, the more I understand where people are coming from when they say they don't play fighting games.  I don't blame them for having that perception of them being too technical, too complicated, or just too much.  It's partly true but when the game itself and the surrounding culture (ie all the players of a game like SFIV) reinforce it to a certain degree, no wonder progress is slow.  Don't get me wrong, I love fighting games, and I bet I could love Street Fighter if I was familiar with it, but it shouldn't be mandatory.  Either what I consider the low end (basic moves and gameplay) needs to be fleshed out, or I need to get to the high end in a fun or meaningful way.  If the game makes no effort to get me where I should be, why would try and meet it halfway when it won't?  At that point, I'll just play another game.

But the usual response to this is, "do your homework and you'll get better".  At what point am I paying money for work?  An article on The Escapist talked about the state of the way video games teach players about mechanics, method, and theory.  It continues to come back in my head as I debate this...in my head.  The burden is on the developer to make the game either engaging to learn, or a diverse range so people of all interest levels can see a good game.  I can't help but think the phrase "fan service" when a game expects you to know how to play if it take the more complex route.  Extreme examples are BlazBlue and Arma II.

In the end I'll get a decent controller for my PC, try again, learn the game just fine, and enjoy it just fine.  But at the back of my mind, it angers me beyond reason the means I need to get to that desired end.  I want to yell at the game, "I SHOULDN'T HAVE TO DO IT THIS WAY!" followed my many expletives.  This post may seem like a bunch of hot air to someone who is familiar with the franchise, but as a newcomer to SF, I find it seems to resonate with people in the same boat. 

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By napalm

Not to be a troll, but a number of people I've talked to who played Soulcalibur just don't "get" Street Fighter (IV). You either like it or you don't. The game is relatively simple to learn, but it sounds like you are trying to over-complicate it by thinking about it too much. 2D Fighters use hit boxes which aren't always completely perfect, and the game is a slightly complex game of rock, paper, scissors.

Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Scooper

I don't understand what you're complaining about. It tells you how to do the moves, it tells you how to do some combos and you can learn a bunch more by going online and fighting people. What exactaly do you want the game to do? Make it easier to do moves or something? I don't understand what exactaly your problem is with the game.

SoulEdgeSlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By SoulEdgeSlayer
    @Napalm said:
    " Not to be a troll, but a number of people I've talked to who played Soulcalibur just don't "get" Street Fighter (IV). You either like it or you don't. The game is relatively simple to learn, but it sounds like you are trying to over-complicate it by thinking about it too much. 2D Fighters use hit boxes which aren't always completely perfect, and the game is a slightly complex game of rock, paper, scissors. "
    Yup, you are right. Many Soul Calibur players have a hard time with Street Fighter. I played the hell out of SC4 (even got 1000/1000), and a lot of my friends who played that game hated SFIV.

I, personally, have not played a Street Fighter since...Super Street Fighter II on the SNES. I plan on getting SFIV tomorrow!
    thatpinguino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By thatpinguino  Staff

@ scooper
    The problem with the challenge mode is that while it does tell you the button inputs it doesn't tell you anything about the timing.  So though it does give you help learning combos, for a beginner using the challenge mode to learn combos you not only have to figure out the timing but you must then practice the timing until you master it.  The challenge mode could give some hints about the timing and that would make learning the game much easier.   I don't want the moves to be easier to do, I just want more help with the timing.

Avatar image for phaggybignastymckill
    PhaggyBigNastyMcKill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well the thing with SF4 community and the fighting game community is that they do try to help you out, kinda.

Just like our own SF4 guides,

lordofultima wrote a nice guide on the only character he knows how to play

and you got the clusterfuck of everybody giving thier two cents here

the most interesting one IMO is this one, but it doesn't seem finished and the author seems to have taken off for the summer

Either way you can't expect to be Daigo good without putting a buttload of time in but after reading some of these guides I don't see how you cannot have fun trying to go for the mindgame and simple moves if you cannot complete a combo.

remember this, you can pay money for a real expensive sportscar but that doesn't mean you know how to drive it.

Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Scooper
    @thatpinguino said:
    " @ scooperThe problem with the challenge mode is that while it does tell you the button inputs it doesn't tell you anything about the timing.  So though it does give you help learning combos, for a beginner using the challenge mode to learn combos you not only have to figure out the timing but you must then practice the timing until you master it.  The challenge mode could give some hints about the timing and that would make learning the game much easier.   I don't want the moves to be easier to do, I just want more help with the timing. "
    Fair enough, it would be nice to see a computer controlled character perform the move with a bunch of stuff on screen telling you the buttons he's using and when he's using them. I guess that's the stuff you have to just figure out. For instance some Hard Trials are simply like 2 or 3 medium punches in a row but some people find that one the hardest to do because they just tap the button as fast as they can. You just got to experiment or check out some videos.
    bacongames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By bacongames
    I want the game to actually teach me how to play instead of giving me a waste of time disguised as a tutorial, which is essentially what the Challenge Mode is to anyone who actually needs to learn.  This is just the gripe of a newcomer and as far as teaching a new player how to really play the game, SFIV fails horribly.

I just found SFIV more complicated than its own good given the fact that it does nothing more that give you a list of moves and tells you to get to steppin'.  That's not good enough for someone like me and it irked me in principle.

I did actually read some of the guides on the site and learned about stuff like Focus canceling and such.  But I shouldn't have to go and research how to block a move.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By CL60
    @Tuffgong said:
    " I want the game to actually teach me how to play instead of giving me a waste of time disguised as a tutorial, which is essentially what the Challenge Mode is to anyone who actually needs to learn.  This is just the gripe of a newcomer and as far as teaching a new player how to really play the game, SFIV fails horribly.I just found SFIV more complicated than its own good given the fact that it does nothing more that give you a list of moves and tells you to get to steppin'.  That's not good enough for someone like me and it irked me in principle. "
    fail
    napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By napalm
    @Tuffgong said:
    " I want the game to actually teach me how to play instead of giving me a waste of time disguised as a tutorial, which is essentially what the Challenge Mode is to anyone who actually needs to learn.  This is just the gripe of a newcomer and as far as teaching a new player how to really play the game, SFIV fails horribly.I just found SFIV more complicated than its own good given the fact that it does nothing more that give you a list of moves and tells you to get to steppin'.  That's not good enough for someone like me and it irked me in principle. "
    Then stop doing the tutorial. Learn by playing against  AI or real players. That's how I learned Street Fighter II, and we had no training mode.
    RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By RsistncE

Don't worry I think SF is a relic of a bygone era also. I prefer my game with a smoking barrel on the end.

Stang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By Stang
    @Scooper said:
    " @thatpinguino said:
    " @ scooperThe problem with the challenge mode is that while it does tell you the button inputs it doesn't tell you anything about the timing.  So though it does give you help learning combos, for a beginner using the challenge mode to learn combos you not only have to figure out the timing but you must then practice the timing until you master it.  The challenge mode could give some hints about the timing and that would make learning the game much easier.   I don't want the moves to be easier to do, I just want more help with the timing. "
    Fair enough, it would be nice to see a computer controlled character perform the move with a bunch of stuff on screen telling you the buttons he's using and when he's using them. I guess that's the stuff you have to just figure out. For instance some Hard Trials are simply like 2 or 3 medium punches in a row but some people find that one the hardest to do because they just tap the button as fast as they can. You just got to experiment or check out some videos. "
    I still am baffled that the hard trials do not provide a cpu example. What the fuck is that about? Yeah it tells you what to do, but some of the harder combos require seeing the moves in motion. I love the game, but that is unacceptable in my opinion.
    Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Scooper
    @Stang said:
    " @Scooper said:
    " @thatpinguino said:
    Fair enough, it would be nice to see a computer controlled character perform the move with a bunch of stuff on screen telling you the buttons he's using and when he's using them. I guess that's the stuff you have to just figure out. For instance some Hard Trials are simply like 2 or 3 medium punches in a row but some people find that one the hardest to do because they just tap the button as fast as they can. You just got to experiment or check out some videos. "
    I still am baffled that the hard trials do not provide a cpu example. What the fuck is that about? Yeah it tells you what to do, but some of the harder combos require seeing the moves in motion. I love the game, but that is unacceptable in my opinion. "
    I do agree, it would be nice also if you could slow it down a bunch, sometimes I see someone do a combo and I can't take it all in. You can kinda do that with the Championship replays but there's barely a difference between the regular speed.
    bacongames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By bacongames

I don't accept the idea that SFIV is friendly to anyone other than Street Fighter fans/players.  It's a shame that it leaves newcomers outside and doing the work just to get up to speed when I've enjoyed fighting games in the past is just...meh.  I have better things to do with my time ya know?  Playing Street Fighter makes me want to try other fighting games and really define what games I do and don't like but I just haven't tried them.  I guess I learned my lesson about SF the hard way.

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By napalm
    @Tuffgong said:
    " I don't accept the idea that SFIV is friendly to anyone other than Street Fighter fans/players. "
    Then stop bitching. All you're doing is raising your blood pressure.
    bacongames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By bacongames
    @Napalm: I wouldn't have an issue if I didn't keep getting conflicting reports from everywhere saying either the game is or isn't for newcomers. 

I assumed one thing going in and got burned coming out.  It just so happens that sparked an issue in my brain and I felt like putting it in text.  I can talk about it if I want to.
    PhaggyBigNastyMcKill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Tuffgong said:
    " I want the game to actually teach me how to play instead of giving me a waste of time disguised as a tutorial, which is essentially what the Challenge Mode is to anyone who actually needs to learn.  This is just the gripe of a newcomer and as far as teaching a new player how to really play the game, SFIV fails horribly.I just found SFIV more complicated than its own good given the fact that it does nothing more that give you a list of moves and tells you to get to steppin'.  That's not good enough for someone like me and it irked me in principle.I did actually read some of the guides on the site and learned about stuff like Focus canceling and such.  But I shouldn't have to go and research how to block a move. "
    yeah but same thing could be said about things like a rocket jump in an FPS, no game will tell you how to do it but its userbase will gladly help you in that department.

I realize your criticism on the game's lack of actual helpful tutorial, but that doesn't mean SF4 the game as a whole is bad. Afterall the game is not supposed to be a kick ass tutorial with poor gameplay mechanics. Even the SF4 userbase acknowlegdes SF4 isn't perfect hence they wrote all those guides. Does it matter whether you read how to play the game as a tutorial in the game or as a user written guide? the fireball isn't going to get any eaiser nor are the link combos, even if SF4 had a proper tutorial telling you how to do them.
    bacongames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By bacongames
    @PhaggyBigNastyMcKill: Oh by all means, I think SFIV itself is a great game, but there's nothing there for me in particular other than "do this work peripheral to the game in order to learn the game, and then maybe pick up on the deeper stuff". 

I guess I take the more stubborn stance of "I shouldn't have to do it the old-fashioned way".  I'm fine with just letting SFIV pass me by and hope that another fighting game can come along and do right what I think it did wrong.

By all accounts I am not trying to insult any fans of the series who just enjoy the game and/or try and help newcomers get into the series.  As an entry in the series, it's phenomenal and I know how hard it is to please SF fans.  I however don't see SFIV and think this is how fighting games as a genre should be.  Maybe mismanaged standards/expectations?  Probably.
    Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Scooper
    @Tuffgong: Quater Circle forward punch throws a fireball. Go from there. I started playing Street Fighter II maybe 6 months before I bought SFIV and I learnt enough to get by. I think you're stressing too much on nothing at all. If you can't handle doing the combos then turn down the arcade differculty and just turn it up as you get more confident.
    Stang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Stang
    @Tuffgong said:
    " I don't accept the idea that SFIV is friendly to anyone other than Street Fighter fans/players.  It's a shame that it leaves newcomers outside and doing the work just to get up to speed when I've enjoyed fighting games in the past is just...meh.  I have better things to do with my time ya know?  Playing Street Fighter makes me want to try other fighting games and really define what games I do and don't like but I just haven't tried them.  I guess I learned my lesson about SF the hard way. "
    Street Fighter is extremely accessible, are we playing the same game? I have not played a proper Street Fighter for a few years prior to playing SFIV...yet somehow I am managing. It is ok to suck at something, but blaming the game for lack of ability is kind of retarded. Did you expect to to breeze through championship mode with just a basic skill set? Like everything else in life, you have to put some effort into it if you want to succeed.

Jesus Christ, I am sounding preachy. Damn you.
    napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By napalm
    @Stang said:
    " @Tuffgong said:
    " I don't accept the idea that SFIV is friendly to anyone other than Street Fighter fans/players.  It's a shame that it leaves newcomers outside and doing the work just to get up to speed when I've enjoyed fighting games in the past is just...meh.  I have better things to do with my time ya know?  Playing Street Fighter makes me want to try other fighting games and really define what games I do and don't like but I just haven't tried them.  I guess I learned my lesson about SF the hard way. "
    Street Fighter is extremely accessible, are we playing the same game? I have not played a proper Street Fighter for a few years prior to playing SFIV...yet somehow I am managing. It is ok to suck at something, but blaming the game for lack of ability is kind of retarded. Did you expect to to breeze through championship mode with just a basic skill set? Like everything else in life, you have to put some effort into it if you want to succeed. Jesus Christ, I am sounding preachy. Damn you. "
    If you can't figure out how Street Fighter IV works, then maybe you shouldn't be playing fighting games at all. Street Fighter is probably the most basic fighting game to ever exist.
    LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#22  Edited By LiquidPrince

Summary?

bacongames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By bacongames

I love the people who think I don't know how to play fighting games or how to do a Hadouken.  I can do Sagat's Ultra manually (by physically pressing the low, medium, and high buttons at the same time) if that's a benchmark for what I'm capable of.  I thought maybe in this day and age I wouldn't have to research online in order to know what to do in a video game.  The game gives you the what, but it doesn't give you the why.  Again, this is an argument in principle and isn't really about the pragmatic here.  I needed to get his off my chest and I'm glad I did. 

Did anyone here never play a SF game before, pick it up, and had fun learning to get to things like focus canceling?  What I got from the game is a lack of motivation to want to learn.  With a game like SFIV, if I ignore the theory and just stick to the basics, that's missing the point and I would rather just play another fighting game.

I don't know, I just get the sense that this game isn't made for someone who's never touched an arcade stick or played a SF game.  Oh well.  And to think I had such high hopes but I'm glad I learned something.  I'll leave you alone now.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#24  Edited By mike

This really does sound like you don't like SFIV because you're bad at it.

bacongames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By bacongames
    @MB: I know it does and in a way that's the point.  Sure I'm bad at it, but the process of getting good doesn't seem right to me.  Maybe I expected to be motivated to learn the same way I was with Mortal Kombat and Soul Calibur.  At the end of the day, it just bugs me, that's all.  After the separate forum topic and blog post, it's kinda hard to put into words but I think I got it all out there.
    napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By napalm

I think the sooner you can understand that SFIV works essentially like rock, paper, scissors, the more liklehood you'll understand how the game works. Street Fighter ain't Soulcalibur, and it ain't Tekken. It plays differently. Understand that you're anti-air will never counter Ryu's jumping fierce. You need to understand the priority of the moves of whatever character you're playing or else you will get rocked. The game is about zone management and playing the entire screen.

Tharrington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#27  Edited By Tharrington
    @Napalm said:
    " @Stang said:
    " @Tuffgong said:
    Street Fighter is extremely accessible, are we playing the same game? I have not played a proper Street Fighter for a few years prior to playing SFIV...yet somehow I am managing. It is ok to suck at something, but blaming the game for lack of ability is kind of retarded. Did you expect to to breeze through championship mode with just a basic skill set? Like everything else in life, you have to put some effort into it if you want to succeed. Jesus Christ, I am sounding preachy. Damn you. "
    If you can't figure out how Street Fighter IV works, then maybe you shouldn't be playing fighting games at all. Street Fighter is probably the most basic fighting game to ever exist. "
    It's not that he doesn't understand it, fighting games are some of the simplest games to understand on a basic level.  I feel that what he is saying is that a good chunk of those playing the game have been since SF2, and they have a wealth of knowledge that no newcomer can just pick up and feel as though they are doing well at the game.  If you're being destroyed in every match you play, do you really want to keep playing.  Most likely not, maybe you're still having fun and maybe you're inspired to get better, but you probably feel that you don't understand the game and would rather move on to something you'll do reasonably well at from the start.

I really don't think Tuffgong is saying "Oh god SFIV is so terrible, I don't get it, what's a QFC."  It's more that those playing understand the game at such an expert level that a new player has to bust through a massive brick wall to even feel slightly competent to the others playing.
    napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By napalm

It's still not difficult to understand. Those who are experts are experts on understanding priority and proper zoning of the screen. If you master those two you understand the entire game.

And no offense, we're talking about Street Fighter IV here, not Virtua Fighter 5, which essentially has a brick wall for a learning curve.

Tharrington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#29  Edited By Tharrington
    @Napalm said:
    " It's still not difficult to understand. Those who are experts are experts on understanding priority and proper zoning of the screen. If you master those two you understand the entire game. "
    And priority doesn't make any sense to me.  For someone that has never really played a 2D fighter the barrier for entry is huge, believe me I want to get in to it this game and as soon as I pick it up I'm going to dedicate myself to understanding it, but you can't expect everyone to want to do that, and who knows if I actually will.

Also, sorry for always joining in to these conversations when they're practically over.
    bacongames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By bacongames
    @Tharrington said:
    " @Napalm said:
    " @Stang said:
    " @Tuffgong said:
    If you can't figure out how Street Fighter IV works, then maybe you shouldn't be playing fighting games at all. Street Fighter is probably the most basic fighting game to ever exist. "
    It's not that he doesn't understand it, fighting games are some of the simplest games to understand on a basic level.  I feel that what he is saying is that a good chunk of those playing the game have been since SF2, and they have a wealth of knowledge that no newcomer can just pick up and feel as though they are doing well at the game.  If you're being destroyed in every match you play, do you really want to keep playing.  Most likely not, maybe you're still having fun and maybe you're inspired to get better, but you probably feel that you don't understand the game and would rather move on to something you'll do reasonably well at from the start.I really don't think Tuffgong is saying "Oh god SFIV is so terrible, I don't get it, what's a QFC."  It's more that those playing understand the game at such an expert level that a new player has to bust through a massive brick wall to even feel slightly competent to the others playing. "
    Goddamnit I love it when someone hits the proverbial nail on the head.  I just wanna smile.  Ok I'm done.  To reference what Tharrington said, I just don't feel motivated to bust through that massive brick wall.  I could if I really wanted to, but I just don't want to.  It's annoying however knowing what's on the other side.  Hence my confusing internal conflict.  I'm ok with saying SFIV isn't the game to get me into Street Fighter, but I definitely want to give the series another try down the road. 

However it seems like Tekken 6 and Samurai Shodown are coming out this fall and with a fat collection of fighting games available to download, I think I can scratch my fighting game itch just yet.

Oh and by all means, you're a big help Tharrington and I value what you have to say.

Stang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Stang
    @Tuffgong said:
    " @MB: I know it does and in a way that's the point.  Sure I'm bad at it, but the process of getting good doesn't seem right to me.  Maybe I expected to be motivated to learn the same way I was with Mortal Kombat and Soul Calibur.  At the end of the day, it just bugs me, that's all.  After the separate forum topic and blog post, it's kinda hard to put into words but I think I got it all out there. "
    You really are in an alternate dimension or some shit. The process of getting good is PRACTICE. How is that different then any other game? What about the process of getting good does not seem right? Do you mean being demolished by more experienced players? Nobody here had any clue about FADC'ing/complex combo strings prior to the iteration of SF, but we got our asses online, got spanked a billion times, and learned.

Your arguments against the game are so bizarre I cannot even create coherent counter responses.

bacongames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By bacongames
    To me at least, the process of getting good at SFIV is work and not work I'm willing to do because there's nothing to make it engaging or fun.

I had to stop myself twice from changing the above statement because it I couldn't put it any better.  That's my issue with SFIV as a newcomer to the series and I can happily say I've accomplished what I set out to do.  That is to put my finger on what was bugging me and put it into words.
    PhaggyBigNastyMcKill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Tuffgong said:
    " To me at least, the process of getting good at SFIV is work and not work I'm willing to do because there's nothing to make it engaging or fun.I had to stop myself twice from changing the above statement because it I couldn't put it any better.  That's my issue with SFIV as a newcomer to the series and I can happily say I've accomplished what I set out to do.  That is to put my finger on what was bugging me and put it into words. "
    Honestly i don't know what you want.

First you say the game doesn't explain anything so i point out the community will help you out and explain things for you.

then you complain about having to do research when you are esentially reading what others have spent hours actually researching what character has what priority move. that ain't researching, real researching is playing a bunch of matches and learning the hard way what move beats what.

Finally you just outright say you don't want to put the work in.

That could be said for just about any game from any genre for a newcomer

In a racing game my instinct is to turn when i see a turn, but you have to learn to brake early if you want to be good at it

In FPS games the first 5 hours at least is learning what the guns do in relation to each other

the list goes on.

What initially makes all games fun and engauging shouldn't be seeing you rank up to unlock new stuff, but rather the feeling that you have learned something and have a way of showing it when you give your friends a beat down.

If SF4 doesn't do it for you but socal does for some reason, there is nothing design wise that Capcom could change to SF4 for its next edition without straight up changing what SF is all about. Have fun playing socal and tekkan which apprently doesn't take work to get good at.

joke joke, socal and tekkan freaks.
    slinky6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By slinky6

SF4 is a game where you really have to earn every win.   In my opinion there's nothing more fun or rewarding than this.

The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By The_A_Drain

This again? Well I said my bit in your other thread in general, and again in a very similar thread a while before that. Not repeating it here.

Eriktion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Eriktion

I enjoy both SC4 and SF4 and I understand exactly where this frustration is coming from.

SC4 is more of a modern fighting game. I am by no means an expert at that but I've noticed that you will get a lot more enjoyment and cool moves out of that game by simply button mashing and that can actually work to your advantage in a certain fights. Fundamentally what I mean by it being modern is that it's learning curve is shorter.

SF4 is a lot more like old school games where you just had to replay the shit out of the difficult levels in order to memorize the right patterns. It's the same with SF4, you need to play the crap out of that game, and I'm not only referring to matches but the challenges as well. Bear in mind I am no expert at this one either. I can manage to pull of some simpler 2 or 3 move combos/juggles with one or two players but that is it at the moment. And instead of getting annoyed at some awesome player getting Perfect against me online I do my best to be amazed and inspired. I think maybe if SF4 had a few low level achievements/trophies for suffering Perfect defeats or 15 hit combos it would be a slight incouragement (maybe it does?). I think what is keeping me from hating SF4 is the nostalgia factor along with the variety in the character selections. If worst comes to worst I select Ruy and do fireballs all night long.

The bottom line is that some of us "gamers" are just VERY sore loosers and we'll just hate the crap out of a game that keeps kicking us in the nuts. We've gotten used to the modern "friendly" games of today where you can select different levels of difficulty or unlock addons and upgrades.

bacongames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By bacongames

There's nothing wrong with putting yourself through the process of winning, losing, and learning a game because that's a part of every game.  However in other games I'm motivated to keep going, to learn the game, to get better, or see the end.  With SFIV, it just doesn't give me that.  It just plops itself down in front of me and says "go" and I don't want that, especially as a newcomer.  What people don't get about that, I don't know.  The few people who have posted something helpful were a great help. 

I was reluctant to call SFIV a dinosaur or of a bygone era given the fans of this game, but a few others have mentioned it now and I can at least partly if not wholly agree.  I did get the sense that this isn't what a modern game should be.  But that's purely just my opinion and I don't expect anyone to heed that.

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By napalm

Well, the issue is with you, the player, not the game.

bacongames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By bacongames

Well if I was already familiar with SF, then I wouldn't have this problem now would I?  However because I am a newcomer, I found this roadblock that others who already played SF didn't have.  It's really just SFIV not being friendly to a person in my position that's all.  It's a great game, especially for those who know the in's and out's of the series.

Unless people want to keep dragging this topic, I've said and read enough now that it's no longer bugging me. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.