Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Street Fighter IV

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Jul 18, 2008

After nearly a decade in hiatus, Capcom's signature mainline fighting game series resurfaces with its fourth main installment, combining the traditional 2D gameplay with modern fully-3D graphics.

PC Version - Controllers

McPaper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By McPaper

Me and my friend are picking up this game for PC and he is going ahead and buying a Xbox 360 controller which seems reasonable for such a game.

However I already have a generic USB controller which works with a variety of PC games, I was wondering if Street Fighter IV will be enforcing the 360 controller only? I recall a few other games for windows games doing this and I really dont want to buy some sort of adapter or a wired 360 controller.

cspiffo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By cspiffo

My guess is it will support any directinput device.  I don't know for sure though.

McPaper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By McPaper
    @cspiffo: I hope so. I just recall that Gears of War for the PC (I think) wouldnt allow any other input other than mousekeyboard or an official microsoft controller. Ive downloaded a controller emulator just in case.
    cspiffo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By cspiffo
    @McPaper: GeOW was published by Microsoft at a time when they were trying to tie all of the "wonderful" Vista as a gaming platform marketing together.  That didn't work so well.  I'm not surprised that that particular game doesn't have full directinput support.  They wanted so bad to create a game input device standard around the 360 controller on the PC.  Nice try Microsoft.
    slinky6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By slinky6

if you're going with controllers, go with the licensed fightpads.   Any USB controller will work or else they'd piss off tons of people with sticks.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By JJOR64

Well, there is a version of the game coming with the fightpad.  May you should pick that one up.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Al3xand3r

Fightpads suck, as does the 360 pad, for this type of game. Go to ebay and buy an original SEGA Saturn USB pad (making sure the seller has a good rating, there are many imitations around) or a decent arcade stick. Whether it's actually natively supported or not doesn't matter, you can assign keystrokes to pad buttons with various applications anyway.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By Diamond

The fightpads are great, but not perfect.  Helps if you've actually played with them though, before you judge them, I mean.

slinky6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By slinky6
    @Al3xand3r said:
    " Fightpads suck, as does the 360 pad, for this type of game. Go to ebay and buy an original SEGA Saturn USB pad (making sure the seller has a good rating, there are many imitations around) or a decent arcade stick. Whether it's actually natively supported or not doesn't matter, you can assign keystrokes to pad buttons with various applications anyway. "
    They don't suck.  They just aren't ideal.   People place too much importance on method of control.   Unless you play hours a day and spend the rest of your time on SRK, there is no NEED to get a stick.   If you've got the money, by all means get a stick, but if not the game is still very enjoyable with a controller.
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Al3xand3r

Which is why I said he could get the far superior Saturn USB pad, OR an arcade stick...

McPaper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By McPaper

Guys I appreciate the comments however I already have a controller which I feel content with. It's essentially a better version of a 360 controller (for SF) since the Dpad isnt too bad. My main gripe was if I had to spend additional money or else be left with keyboard controls.

akskiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By akskiller

I just got the PC version and can say that keyboard beats the 360 controller.

SunKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By SunKing

Dreamcast Joystick ftw. Hopefully it will work. :)

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15  Edited By Linkyshinks
    @Al3xand3r said:
    " Fightpads suck, as does the 360 pad, for this type of game. Go to ebay and buy an original SEGA Saturn USB pad (making sure the seller has a good rating, there are many imitations around) or a decent arcade stick. Whether it's actually natively supported or not doesn't matter, you can assign keystrokes to pad buttons with various applications anyway. "

How can they suck when they've been modeled on the great Saturn controller?.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Al3xand3r

Because their d-pads and buttons aren't nearly as good? CAPCOM had fake-Saturn pads for their PS2 games also, those weren't as good either. Immitation doesn't always achieve the quality of the original, I thought that's common knowledge for anything, from clothes to accessories.

Southgrove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Southgrove

Playing with a MadCatz 360 Gamepad myself. I'm no pro, but I don't have much trouble pulling off specials and combos with it. The MadCatz d-pad is far superior to the default 360 pads atleast. And uh, this will probably get me hung, but I actually prefer to play with the analog stick on the pad, hehe.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.