Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Street Fighter IV

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Jul 18, 2008

After nearly a decade in hiatus, Capcom's signature mainline fighting game series resurfaces with its fourth main installment, combining the traditional 2D gameplay with modern fully-3D graphics.

Punishing Sagat's Tiger Knee

skrutop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

User Lists: 14

#1  Edited By skrutop

I'm in G3-A right now and starting to run up against quite a few Sagat players.  I use Cammy, so getting inside on his fireballs is pretty easy at this point, and I'm generally good about guarding against the Tiger Uppercut.  However, I cannot figure out how to punish a blocked Tiger Knee.  Sagat pushes in really far, so I don't have time to do much other than block the knee and the inevitable sweep that's coming after it.  Are there any good moves to punish a blocked Tiger Knee and EX Tiger Knee?

EvilGreenDevil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By EvilGreenDevil

If he's close enough the easiest punish would be a quick throw. I'm not a Cammy player but I would think  a quick spiral arrow would also hit.

Avatar image for ownlyuzinwonhan
    OwnlyUzinWonHan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By OwnlyUzinWonHan

Not sure if you can punish an EX Tiger Knee, but like EvilGreenDevil said, throw is usually an option after a regular one.

Heartagram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 13

#4  Edited By Heartagram

I have so much trouble with sagat.

Necrotrophic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By Necrotrophic

Sagat isnt hard if you know how to block him. 

Just block, throw. Focus attack dash back when hes down to bait his tiger uppercut then punish.

Sagat players are usually pretty bad at this game. However, when you find a good one, it sure is fun! :)

Thrawn1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By Thrawn1

you can't punish ex knee, you only have a 1 frame advantage. as far as the other tiger knees go, you can punish with cannon spike or spiral arrow but if it's a light kick tiger knee punishing with spiral arrow will be hard. you can also punish with just about any normal move. also the farther away he hits you with the knee from the less likely it is that you can punish him. just go in training mode, record sagat doing tiger knee then immediately blocking and find out what works against him. make sure you record sagat to block in between tiger knees. haunts would probably have a lot more to say about this

Renahzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By Renahzor

Punish TK attempts with a blockstring starting with cr.lk.  (cr.lk, cr.lp, cr.lk xx spiral arrow).  This way even in laggy conditions you'll get a blockstring and can cut it short and start Cammy's main mixup (poke/throw/TKCS mixup) and this should beat out any followup sweeps, although dont do this if he was at very long range and hit the tail end of the TK, just block in that case.  If you have meter its even better, you can do the same B&B combo and FADC a HK spiral arrow into a forward dash and that REALLY puts the pressure on(although it is very difficult execution wise, Im still not even 50% at SA FADCf TKCS) using a very stong mixup that can end in big combos or backthrows setting up more mixups.   Alternatively with meter you can simply CS and cancel it, but that burns meter for little gain IMO. 

Most of the Sagat's I play that try this rushdown style are easier than ones who play a very strong zoning game, and eventually you welcome the ones who break down their own zoning and play aggressive.  If he willingly comes to you, its infinitely less frustrating than the wall of tiger shots followed by f.RH, or uppercuts, or even st.lk into tiger shot which puts you at TERRIBLE range unless you can psychic ex drill through a low tiger shot.  Cammy has a pretty strong closing game, and even with that I find zoning Sagats much more difficult.

skrutop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By skrutop
    @Thrawn said:
    "just go in training mode, record sagat doing tiger knee then immediately blocking and find out what works against him. make sure you record sagat to block in between tiger knees. haunts would probably have a lot more to say about this "
    Thanks for that idea Thrawn.  I'll try it out.
    Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By Jeffsekai

Here's what Canned told me, if the Tiger Knee only hits once its safe (so don't try anything dumb) if it hits twice you can punish it.

baelrrogg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By baelrrogg
    @Jeffsekai said:
    " Here's what Canned told me, if the Tiger Knee only hits once its safe (so don't try anything dumb) if it hits twice you can punish it. "
    Being a Sagat player, I hate to admit it but that's right. If it goes "deep" it's punishable but it's safe from proper distance.
    skrutop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By skrutop
    @baelrrogg said:
    " @Jeffsekai said:
    " Here's what Canned told me, if the Tiger Knee only hits once its safe (so don't try anything dumb) if it hits twice you can punish it. "
    Being a Sagat player, I hate to admit it but that's right. If it goes "deep" it's punishable but it's safe from proper distance. "
    I fought a couple more Sagat's today and found out that's exactly what it was.  The guy was recovering faster than I could do anything, but only when he was further away.  When he got too close, I was able to mess him up.
    Avatar image for killroycantkill
    killroycantkill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 13

#12  Edited By killroycantkill

EX Tiger Knee and Light Tiger Knee are safe. But with heavy tiger knees a good cannon spike is a quick counter without too much risk. If you're combo savy then C.LK, C.LP, C.LK to Spiral Arrow is a good BNB combo to counter.

lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#13  Edited By lordofultima

Shotos can low forward under tiger knee, don't know crap about Cammy though.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.