Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Street Fighter IV

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Jul 18, 2008

After nearly a decade in hiatus, Capcom's signature mainline fighting game series resurfaces with its fourth main installment, combining the traditional 2D gameplay with modern fully-3D graphics.

Simple Characters

MAST

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By MAST

I realize almost every character in SF4 has a hidden level of depth, but humor me for a minute. Which characters do you guys think are more simple then the rest? I know Ryu has a pretty basic playstyle, and is good for noobies. Do any other characters fall in that catergory?
    Lately i've been playing Sagat, because he basically only has 2-3 moves i have to remember. So it's easier to wrap my head around playing him. I was also thinking about giving Guile a go. He has 2 charge moves, plus a few really good regular moves that he can rely on. All in all he doesn't seem too complicated.

I ask because, some characters seem to have a list of moves that go on for miles, which is just too much for me. And others have a huge list of moves, but only a few of them are used a lot. Which is misleading. So i thought you experts could give some advice.

Thanks!

Steve_Evil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Steve_Evil

I'd say Zangief is pretty simple to pickup and play. OK his ultra may look impossible to pull-off, but the controls are very forgiving and by jumping in you can buffer the movement input and pull it off as soon as you land, same goes for his 2 360-degree supers. Combine this with his lariats that go through fireballs and are good at taking out anyone jumping in I'd say he is a very good character to learn.

You cite Guile as a good character to learn, but I still find his ultra tricky to pull off and it's certainly not one I could whip out whilst under any sort of sustained pressure.

Avatar image for optimusprime223
    optimusprime223

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By optimusprime223

Was playing with El Feutre this morning. mmmm i was playing as El Feutre this morning and he is pretty simple with his crazy dash special and hit a button after to do something different depending on button. I was surprised.

Alex_Murphy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4  Edited By Alex_Murphy

I dunno about Guile, with his moves being charge moves it's harder to whip them out at a seconds notice. You should play a little Ken and Ryu just so you have a better handle on what they're capable of, and fireballs are a great way to pressure somebody without having to be close enough to risk getting hit.  Like Steve_Evil said, Zangief might be good for you to try. You might also want to give Blanka a try. Yea, he does use charge moves like Guile, but they're much more offensieve. Even without his special moves, and ultramove (that can be a real pain to pull out when you only have a small window to make it work) his regulaur moves have pretty good reach and his slide has some suprising range.

PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By PureRok

Guile is probably the simplest all-around character. Two specials and that's it.

Steve_Evil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Steve_Evil
    PureRok said:
    "Guile is probably the simplest all-around character. Two specials and that's it."

Having just two specials can be a disadvantage though, as A) You can become very predictable and B) You're forced to rely more on good solid combos and strategy, which whilst is a good thing, isn't always easy when you're trying to get to grips with the game.
    PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By PureRok
    Steve_Evil said:
    "PureRok said:
    "Guile is probably the simplest all-around character. Two specials and that's it."
    Having just two specials can be a disadvantage though, as A) You can become very predictable and B) You're forced to rely more on good solid combos and strategy, which whilst is a good thing, isn't always easy when you're trying to get to grips with the game. "
    The question was which was the simplest. I answered the question. What you stated has nothing to do with that question.
    Steve_Evil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Steve_Evil

True enough, I suppose if the OP has no intention of experimenting then he might be a good shout. However my method would be to pick someone you like, then learn their moves perhaps one or two at a time until you know when and where to use them, then add in others once the first ones are second nature.

m_rum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By m_rum

I'd recommend Cammy. She's pretty noob-friendly and effective.

MAST

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#10  Edited By MAST
    Steve_Evil said:
    "I'd say Zangief is pretty simple to pickup and play. OK his ultra may look impossible to pull-off, but the controls are very forgiving and by jumping in you can buffer the movement input and pull it off as soon as you land, same goes for his 2 360-degree supers.

I actually have a really hard time pulling of Zangief's 360 moves. Albiet, i don't have a tournament stick. So maybe that's my problem. But i have a gamepad, and it's still super hard for me to do them without jumping before i get it off. I've tried doing the jump in and input the move in the air thing, but i usually just get kicked in the face as soon as i jump in at somebody. Or uppercut. So that pretty much screws any attempt to jump in and input the command so that it executes as i land.

And as for Guild. Oddly enough, i have an easy time doing his super and ultra. Doesn't seem much harder then most other charger character's super/ultras... The thing i do have a hard time with, is landing a flip-kick. Everytime i do it, the person i'm fighting just blocks, and uppercuts me as i'm coming down. I hardly ever get off a successful flip-kick.

ImperiousRix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By ImperiousRix

Guile's specials are certainly simple to remember since there are only two, but I don't know if utilizing him effectively is all that simple.
    I'd say Ryu, Ken, and Sagat are the simplest guys to use.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.