Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Street Fighter IV

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Jul 18, 2008

After nearly a decade in hiatus, Capcom's signature mainline fighting game series resurfaces with its fourth main installment, combining the traditional 2D gameplay with modern fully-3D graphics.

Slowly, but Surely, Getting Better in Street Fighter IV

ArcBorealis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 0

Edited By ArcBorealis

Yeah, so like I said, I'd be playing a bunch of fighting games, some from this gen and last, given the recent resurgence in the genre. After a week and a half from returning Virtua Figher 5 to Gamefly, I got my next game on Friday, Street Fighter IV.  

It's actually taken me a bit longer to get into than I did Virtua Fighter. Guess I was too aquainted with 3D fighters to begin with (maybe it was the amount of buttons in comparison). Either way, I've been learning a bit of the mechanics, and after knowing how to use them, I finally managed to beat Seth in Arcade Mode...on EASIEST. Yeah, I kept dying until now everytime I reached him. 

Plus, this guy is only SLIGHTLY above Dural, just because he actually has SOME character, and not as cheap in comparison (but still a pain). 

I doubt I'm ready for online play yet, as I wanna try and get more characters unlocked, complete trials in challenge mode and other stuff. 

BTW, thanks GiantBomb Community for making the SFIV guide. Actually helped me learn how to do the timing on Guile's Sonic Boom and other moves that require "charging" the control stick. Slowly, but surely, getting better. 

That's all I got now, really.

ArcBorealis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By ArcBorealis

Yeah, so like I said, I'd be playing a bunch of fighting games, some from this gen and last, given the recent resurgence in the genre. After a week and a half from returning Virtua Figher 5 to Gamefly, I got my next game on Friday, Street Fighter IV.  

It's actually taken me a bit longer to get into than I did Virtua Fighter. Guess I was too aquainted with 3D fighters to begin with (maybe it was the amount of buttons in comparison). Either way, I've been learning a bit of the mechanics, and after knowing how to use them, I finally managed to beat Seth in Arcade Mode...on EASIEST. Yeah, I kept dying until now everytime I reached him. 

Plus, this guy is only SLIGHTLY above Dural, just because he actually has SOME character, and not as cheap in comparison (but still a pain). 

I doubt I'm ready for online play yet, as I wanna try and get more characters unlocked, complete trials in challenge mode and other stuff. 

BTW, thanks GiantBomb Community for making the SFIV guide. Actually helped me learn how to do the timing on Guile's Sonic Boom and other moves that require "charging" the control stick. Slowly, but surely, getting better. 

That's all I got now, really.

SpecTackle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2  Edited By SpecTackle

It's a slow burn, but you'll get there. It's a good idea to look into videos of high level play as well, and try to learn as much as you can from them. It's tough to learn the game well otherwise, especially if you don't have any local people to challenge you.

Dolphin_Butter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 21

#3  Edited By Dolphin_Butter

I'm surprised you're finding Street Fighter IV harder to get into than Virtua FIgher 5. The actions are easier to pull off in VF5, but it's difficult for me to put them in the context of a fight.

ArcBorealis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By ArcBorealis
    @Sleepy_Insomniac said:
    "I'm surprised you're finding Street Fighter IV harder to get into than Virtua FIgher 5. The actions are easier to pull off in VF5, but it's difficult for me to put them in the context of a fight. "
    Well, I'm no expert at either when it comes to strategy. So yeah, the fact that there were only 3 buttons in Virtua Fighter, that made things simpler for me. I'm atleast glad that both games have hotkeys for multiple button presses.
    napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5  Edited By napalm

Eh, I'm indifferent to Street Fighter IV now. People certainly haven't gotten better at it, but it's plagued by grab-throwing fags, jump-in fierce to fierce sweep homos and projectile-happy hacks.

harrisonave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By harrisonave

I'm getting better, myself.  I managed to win one or two ranked matches, but I still have a long way to go.  I'm understanding the system a little better, and I'm finding myself in need of a fight stick.  I never understood why people made such a big deal out of the arcade sticks when Street Fighter or these other fighting games come out.  Now that I've been playing A LOT more Street Fighter lately, I totally get it. I'm decent enough with a 360 controller, but an arcade stick will make a world of a difference in my playing.

Stang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By Stang
    @Artemis_D: 

Just my opinion, but stay away from ranked. A lot of asshole d/c'ers there that are hell bent on keeping their points. Player/championship are the ways to go.
    Ginger_Avenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Ginger_Avenger

I also just picked up SFIV and feel like I am improving a bit piece by piece.

If you are on 360 we should play my GT is Ginger Avengers

Stang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Stang

I'll add you Ginger if it is an open invitation.

Ginger_Avenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Ginger_Avenger
    @Stang: Absolutely, I'm willing to play anyone
    Stang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Stang

Cool, GT is Da Stang. Done for the night, but I will be on around 1 pm pacific time tomorrow.

ArcBorealis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By ArcBorealis

Sorry, I don't have a 360. PS3 owner.

Renahzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By Renahzor
    @Napalm said:

" Eh, I'm indifferent to Street Fighter IV now. People certainly haven't gotten better at it, but it's plagued by grab-throwing fags, jump-in fierce to fierce sweep homos and projectile-happy hacks. "

Honestly, i dont know how to respond to this other than the typical Sirlin link, so here ya go:  
    http://www.sirlin.net/articles/playing-to-win-part-1.html 

People are most certainly getting better.  Im seeing more 1 frame link combos, hard punishment for blocked moves, better matchup knoweledge, etc etc in champ mode.  yes theres still the occasional pattern fighter that you have to deal with, and if you're not used to playing to that kind of strategy it can be hard, but seriously.  I know you play guile, and if you're seriously complaining about people jumping at you, im not sure what to say.

to the OP:  Stick with it!  There's a lot of nuances in SF, and the more you play the more you'll be familiar with it.  Honestly, no amount of CPU play will prepare you for playing other people, so you can always just jump in and see how you do!  :)
    Ginger_Avenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Ginger_Avenger

I have been playing a bunch of online over the past few days and have been pleasently suprised at how many people aren't just Ken or Sagat (Although there are plenty of those) I have run into a good Gen, A bunch of good Abel's (I do suck against him though) Balrog's and Vega's. 

Everytime someone chooses Sagat though I get bummed out because it's always a boring match for me as Gouken

Flushes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Flushes
    @Napalm said:

" Eh, I'm indifferent to Street Fighter IV now. People certainly haven't gotten better at it, but it's plagued by grab-throwing fags, jump-in fierce to fierce sweep homos and projectile-happy hacks. "

I really hope you aren't serious, and if you are, then I can now disregard everything that comes out of your scrub mouth. You are not entitled to anything, and if you refuse to do what it takes to win, then I hope you do nothing but lose.
    copycatzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#16  Edited By copycatzen
    @Napalm said:
    "Eh, I'm indifferent to Street Fighter IV now. People certainly haven't gotten better at it, but it's plagued by grab-throwing fags, jump-in fierce to fierce sweep homos and projectile-happy hacks. "

Whats with the hate? havent you learned anything from the giantbombcast? If the game allows it.... (you complete the sentence)
    Baillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Baillie

You're wrong. I'm right. Blah, blah, blah. You don't get to dictate how people enjoy a game.

Duh_ave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Duh_ave
    @Napalm:  But they're still beating you...right?
    Because believe it or not, it's not about the style in which you win, it's whether you win or not.
    Baillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Baillie

I hate the term scrub. Stop using it as an insult, just because some of your are elitists.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#20  Edited By LiquidPrince
    @Alaska_Gamer said:
    "

Either way, I've been learning a bit of the mechanics, and after knowing how to use them, I finally managed to beat Seth in Arcade Mode...on EASIEST. Yeah, I kept dying until now everytime I reached him. 

"
    I'm proud of you but umm...
    Baillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Baillie

Hey man, Seth is hard for new comers, let him be.

Flushes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Flushes
    @Baillie: If you're ignorant to the actual meaning of the term, allow me to enlighten you:

"A scrub is a player who is handicapped by self-imposed rules that the game knows nothing about. A scrub does not play to win." 

Definition taken from David Sirlin's Playing to Win. Nobody cares if you hate the term, especially when it absolutely applies. If the clown that we're mocking has some kind of stupid code that prevents him from throwing me, then great. Now that I know this, not only will I throw him, but I will do so repeatedly until he learns his lesson or quits playing the game; honestly, either is good.
    Baillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Baillie

Yeah, jump to conclusions. Bravo. Like I said earlier, you can't dictate how someone enjoys a game. The guy isn't a pro playing in a tournament, he can play however he wants. Saying things like 'until he learns his lesson or quits the game' just sounds like a really shitty thing to say.

Plasma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Plasma
    @Flushes:   Dude I think something, and then you say it, its scaring me.
    ArcBorealis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By ArcBorealis

Wow, didn't think this would be bumped.

Flushes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Flushes
    @Baillie: Please get off your moral high horse and read the forum before you open your mouth. You claim that Napalm is not "a pro playing in a tournament" and can "play however he wants," but you conveniently fail to recognize that Napalm has started several threads on this board to the effect of "I want to get better at this game." Have you seen his thread that requests top match videos? Or how about the thread where he requests examples of baiting strategy? He even bought a comic-con exclusive fight pad. Now, we are either seeing his true, childish nature, the work of a very clever troll, or the ramblings of an idiot, and I think we all know which of those options are most likely to be true.  I'm not dictating how he should enjoy the game, because he has already attempted to dictate this for himself. It's nobody's fault but his own when we attempt to mock his pathetic ass off the board.
    Duh_ave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Duh_ave

I do love a good internet mock-fest.

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By napalm

First off, what I posted is like 2 weeks old or something, and I've already stated that I don't believe that anymore and was posted out of rage of frustration, so that would be great if everybody would stop quoting and be like, "ZOMGZ SCRUB GTFO!"

And I laugh at the idea of being a "clever troll". Trolls typically stick around for a few really stupid posts and disappear into the abyss of the internet. I've been here a year (only posting on the SFIV board within the last couple months) and guess what? I'm still here.

Flushes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Flushes

Oh, look! It's talking again. Maybe if you start speaking intelligently in the future, I'll change my mind. Here's to hoping, I guess?

Stang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Stang

Threads like this is why I love the interent! 
    @Flushes said:

" Oh, look! It's talking again. Maybe if you start speaking intelligently in the future, I'll change my mind. Here's to hoping, I guess? "
    Make G1 yet? I did earlier, and quickly got my ass kicked :(
    Flushes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Flushes

Yeah, I hit G1 yesterday. I've been able to hold a 55 to 60 percent win rate in there, but yeah, it's full of complete savages. It's definitely making me a much better player, though; I've had to start doing all kinds of dumb, ridiculous, gimmicky shit to pull out wins. I had one game where I had to do a reset in the middle of a focus cancel combo into a tick fierce command grab. You really need to mix it up to confuse these guys. Also, the number of players who will throw fireballs at me when I have ultra has been reduced somewhat, but some people either can't help themselves, or don't think I have the reflexes. Overall, it's just a tighter game; you need spot-on execution to maximize the damage when you get openings.

Renahzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#32  Edited By Renahzor

I made G2 in the first few days after champ mode was released.  It wasn't very fun.  :(  I finally played a bit more champ mode and Im at like 7500 or something,  bleh, so much grinding!

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By napalm
    @Flushes said:

" Oh, look! It's talking again. Maybe if you start speaking intelligently in the future, I'll change my mind. Here's to hoping, I guess? "

If it makes you feel better about yourself calling SFIV players "scrubs" on the internet, then go right ahead because it's no skin off my back. All that matters is that I'm busting my ass to try and get better and have made efforts to learn more about what I'm missing from the game. If you can't look past what I said two weeks ago then you need to grow the fuck up.

And since you obviously have a reading disability, let me link you: 
    http://www.giantbomb.com/street-fighter-iv/61-20456/the-start-over/35-256707/#10
    Stang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Stang
    @Flushes said:
    " Yeah, I hit G1 yesterday. I've been able to hold a 55 to 60 percent win rate in there, but yeah, it's full of complete savages. It's definitely making me a much better player, though; I've had to start doing all kinds of dumb, ridiculous, gimmicky shit to pull out wins. I had one game where I had to do a reset in the middle of a focus cancel combo into a tick fierce command grab. You really need to mix it up to confuse these guys. Also, the number of players who will throw fireballs at me when I have ultra has been reduced somewhat, but some people either can't help themselves, or don't think I have the reflexes. Overall, it's just a tighter game; you need spot-on execution to maximize the damage when you get openings. "
    I only played 3 matches which were a Ryu, Chun and Seth. Seth was cake, but I am still sore from the ass raping from the other two. You really do realize you got away with a lot of scrubby shit in G2 once you hit G1! I think Ken may need to take a back seat....fadc ultra just is not cutting it damage wise, and like you said, you need to take full advantage when given an opportunity. 

Good luck man, hopefully we meet up again.
    Flushes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Flushes
    @Napalm: Not good enough, I'm afraid. Keep it up though, you certainly can't make it any worse.
    napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By napalm
    @Flushes said:
    " @Napalm: Not good enough, I'm afraid. Keep it up though, you certainly can't make it any worse. "
    Oh really? Your approval is the last thing I care about.
    Duh_ave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Duh_ave

Yeah, I tore it up and got to G1 in like, three days and I've been trapped there for a week or so, haven't played that much since. 
    It gets a little nasty up there.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.