Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Street Fighter IV

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Jul 18, 2008

After nearly a decade in hiatus, Capcom's signature mainline fighting game series resurfaces with its fourth main installment, combining the traditional 2D gameplay with modern fully-3D graphics.

Some Rambly Bits About Street Fighter.

End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Edited By End_Boss

Well folks, I just finished playing another round of Street Fighter IV, and in case you hadn't heard, that game is amazing. When the popular vote, in all its fickle glory, finally swings against it, I will be one of the rabid fans fervently defending its honor.

There is something about stepping into Street Fighter's (or, I suppose any fighting game's) arena that immediately introduces adrenaline to your veins and overwhelming, furious pride to your psyche. The agonizing pause that precedes the announcer's enthusiastic "fight!" seems to last an eternity, especially when you're about to play a match that matters (at least in your mind). Though some of this excitement and hullabaloo remains in online play, to me the only way to truly experience all that Street Fighter has to offer you have to be beside your opponent, hearing their frustrations and their satisfaction after a move is vindicated.

A friend of mine who I regularly step into the virtual ring with and I were talking about how and why Street Fighter goes a little deeper than who can combo what when. It sounds a little absurd, but we determined that playing a few rounds of the game is an excellent way to get to know someone on the most basic level. It begins with which character they choose; for example, an opponent who mains Fei Long or Dhalsim immediately wins my respect. On the flipside, a Sagat or Ken player is someone I am immediately wary of because of the negative connotations associated with said characters that it is hard to not be aware of.

Let it be known, however, that no character choice another player makes will ever make me discount them completely; at least not at first.

The first match against a new player is often awkward and janky, like two strangers meeting for the first time in a crowded bar. As the fights progress, however, the two strangers begin to understand each other more and more; patterns are recognized and blocked, weaknesses spotted and exploited. Eventually the pair, now knowing each other far better than even a few hours of conversation could allow for, engage in a kind of deadly dance, feinting and jabbing, experimenting with new combinations and toss-ups, trying to catch their enemy off-guard.

The best fights, therefore, must occur between two people of comparable intellect, because when one player analyzes the other more fully and can easily predict the kind of modifications he/she will introduce to their library, it becomes a non-contest. When both players are of equal understanding of the game's mechanics and have comparable cognitive abilities, Street Fighter really shines. Those are the matches that can spawn ten, twenty, fifty more to follow.

I type this as my college friends brawl it out in front of me. Not long ago, another Akuma player challenged my own in a kind of grudge match, as we had played some time ago and I had... Well, pulverized him. Since then he had bought his own copy of SFIV and (according to him), trained relentlessly. I picked up the controller confidently and we settled in for a "best of three" extravaganza. The first round yielded a flawless victory for my Akuma, the second was another victory for me, albeit close. The second match yielded a win for my opponent, with me taking only one round. The final match was mine and I left the sticks vindicated, but shaky. In the contest of who-knows-who better, I had just barely snatched up another victory.

Honestly, I'm not sure what the point of this blog was, or if there were multiple, or if there was one at all. Regardless, thanks for reading.

- End Boss.

End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By End_Boss

Well folks, I just finished playing another round of Street Fighter IV, and in case you hadn't heard, that game is amazing. When the popular vote, in all its fickle glory, finally swings against it, I will be one of the rabid fans fervently defending its honor.

There is something about stepping into Street Fighter's (or, I suppose any fighting game's) arena that immediately introduces adrenaline to your veins and overwhelming, furious pride to your psyche. The agonizing pause that precedes the announcer's enthusiastic "fight!" seems to last an eternity, especially when you're about to play a match that matters (at least in your mind). Though some of this excitement and hullabaloo remains in online play, to me the only way to truly experience all that Street Fighter has to offer you have to be beside your opponent, hearing their frustrations and their satisfaction after a move is vindicated.

A friend of mine who I regularly step into the virtual ring with and I were talking about how and why Street Fighter goes a little deeper than who can combo what when. It sounds a little absurd, but we determined that playing a few rounds of the game is an excellent way to get to know someone on the most basic level. It begins with which character they choose; for example, an opponent who mains Fei Long or Dhalsim immediately wins my respect. On the flipside, a Sagat or Ken player is someone I am immediately wary of because of the negative connotations associated with said characters that it is hard to not be aware of.

Let it be known, however, that no character choice another player makes will ever make me discount them completely; at least not at first.

The first match against a new player is often awkward and janky, like two strangers meeting for the first time in a crowded bar. As the fights progress, however, the two strangers begin to understand each other more and more; patterns are recognized and blocked, weaknesses spotted and exploited. Eventually the pair, now knowing each other far better than even a few hours of conversation could allow for, engage in a kind of deadly dance, feinting and jabbing, experimenting with new combinations and toss-ups, trying to catch their enemy off-guard.

The best fights, therefore, must occur between two people of comparable intellect, because when one player analyzes the other more fully and can easily predict the kind of modifications he/she will introduce to their library, it becomes a non-contest. When both players are of equal understanding of the game's mechanics and have comparable cognitive abilities, Street Fighter really shines. Those are the matches that can spawn ten, twenty, fifty more to follow.

I type this as my college friends brawl it out in front of me. Not long ago, another Akuma player challenged my own in a kind of grudge match, as we had played some time ago and I had... Well, pulverized him. Since then he had bought his own copy of SFIV and (according to him), trained relentlessly. I picked up the controller confidently and we settled in for a "best of three" extravaganza. The first round yielded a flawless victory for my Akuma, the second was another victory for me, albeit close. The second match yielded a win for my opponent, with me taking only one round. The final match was mine and I left the sticks vindicated, but shaky. In the contest of who-knows-who better, I had just barely snatched up another victory.

Honestly, I'm not sure what the point of this blog was, or if there were multiple, or if there was one at all. Regardless, thanks for reading.

- End Boss.

REDRUN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By REDRUN

Great post, you should submit this as a review.

End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By End_Boss
    REDRUN said:
    "Great post, you should submit this as a review."
    Thanks for the feedback, REDRUN. As I recently learned, Street Fighter also serves as a perfect mediator for otherwise insoluble conflicts. For example, my friend and I were recently discussing how either of us could hook up with a mutual acquaintance on campus... Being the gentlemen that we are, we decided that it simply would not do to have an underhanded competition going on incognito (yes, the bros before hoes rule can be said to have been applied here) and so decided to settle the matter over a best of three match up. I foolishly decided to mix up the formula on the first match by picking Cammy instead of Akuma and was handily defeated by my friend's Gen (who he mains). The next match was a heated contest between Akuma and Gen, with Gen barely snatching the win away. Needless to say, I have backed off of our mutual acquaintance.

And people say video games promote conflict.
    SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By SpaceInsomniac

This was a pretty good read.  I main Cammy lately, so what would you say to that?

I'd also agree that SF IV is a good way to learn a bit about who you're playing against, but it works best if you each stick with the same character.  It's a little less true when you're changing to different fighters all the time, but that's still a fun way to play the game.  Personally, I enjoy the game most when it's not just two people always playing the same fighter, but I'll admit that isn't how I handle myself in ranked mode. : )

End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By End_Boss
    SpaceInsomniac said:
    "This was a pretty good read.  I main Cammy lately, so what would you say to that?

I'd also agree that SF IV is a good way to learn a bit about who you're playing against, but it works best if you each stick with the same character.  It's a little less true when you're changing to different fighters all the time, but that's still a fun way to play the game.  Personally, I enjoy the game most when it's not just two people always playing the same fighter, but I'll admit that isn't how I handle myself in ranked mode. : )"
    I would say you're a better Cammy player than I am. ;)
    REDRUN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By REDRUN
    End_Boss said:
    "REDRUN said:
    "Great post, you should submit this as a review."
    Thanks for the feedback, REDRUN. As I recently learned, Street Fighter also serves as a perfect mediator for otherwise insoluble conflicts. For example, my friend and I were recently discussing how either of us could hook up with a mutual acquaintance on campus... Being the gentlemen that we are, we decided that it simply would not do to have an underhanded competition going on incognito (yes, the bros before hoes rule can be said to have been applied here) and so decided to settle the matter over a best of three match up. I foolishly decided to mix up the formula on the first match by picking Cammy instead of Akuma and was handily defeated by my friend's Gen (who he mains). The next match was a heated contest between Akuma and Gen, with Gen barely snatching the win away. Needless to say, I have backed off of our mutual acquaintance.And people say video games promote conflict."
    True Story: Same situation, me and my best friend liked on a girl that liked both of us. Both of us wanted to take her out or possibly hook up with her. When we found out we both liked the same girl, I step down to let him ask her out, and he had done the same for me. The bros before hoes rule didn't solve this one. So we settled this in a boxing match, on a Friday after school. We both showed up at the gym, rules are, if you win, you decide and loser has to agree and keep friendship intact. The fight begun with stinging blows. Right there in the ring we were no longer friends, but rivals who had practiced together and know each other strengths and weaknesses. So we went on for about 7 rounds all out, bruised, bloody, battered and exhausted. I had won by TKO. My face felt like it was about to swell, lip cut and right eye blackening. I reached into my gym bag while my best friend was catching is breath while lying in a puddle of sweat and blood in the middle of the ring in the YMCA. Then I dropped $50.00 on him and told him, "You better get cleaned up and take her out somewhere nice." He asked "Why." I answered, "I looked like the fucken Sloth from The Goonies right now, you aren't exactly pretty right now either. I decided you should go, you prick."

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#7  Edited By sweep  Moderator

Nice blog dude. But remember, you are my bitch at SF4. Also, Zangief players are bastards and El Fuerte is awesome. That is all.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.