Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Street Fighter IV

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Jul 18, 2008

After nearly a decade in hiatus, Capcom's signature mainline fighting game series resurfaces with its fourth main installment, combining the traditional 2D gameplay with modern fully-3D graphics.

Whats the learning curve?

Ally264

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Ally264

Ok so i really want this game but the only thing stopping me is the fact that im very bad at it. I have trouble doing Hadoken's so thats just how bad i am. If i play it often would I get better do you think? and if i go online would i get destroyed by some Japanese kid who's been awake for 72 hours?

Thanks

Avatar image for deactivated-5ee2492b629bb
    deactivated-5ee2492b629bb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

The curve is kind of rough if you've never played a Street Fighter before. A little less so if you know the basics. It's very rewarding once you get it down, though.

LiveOrDie1212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By LiveOrDie1212

the learning curve is 10 years...that is if you don't want to get beat by a Japanese kid who's been awake for 72 hrs.

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By pause422

That's why you don't immediately go online. Choose a character or two that you really want to focus on as your main choices, and do training with them...learn their moves, get down how to do them first. Also, the challenge mode is another great thing to help you out, they start you out with basic moves, and then they advance into more tricky combos. These things should help anyone get better at a fighting game..but yeah, don't immediately go online before getting to know a character well enough first, or you definitely will get destroyed.

Its the same for everyone dude, the first time you go to play a game like this you're gonna suck..and even when you get alright there will still be people online that will mess you the fuck up plenty. Just learn a character of your choice well in training/challenge though, and go at your own pace is the best advice I can give you..trust me its still worth owning the game plenty, you'll improve over time, maybe slowly but surely.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just don't play Ken. We don't need to see another fucking Ken online.

MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By MeierTheRed

Ahh yes the flowchart Ken, when i doubt...SHORYUKEN

No Caption Provided

slinky6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By slinky6

Curve is larger than most games but definitely not as bad as some people make it out to be.

PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By PureRok

Street Fighter 4 is the easiest Street Fighter in terms of the ability to pull off special moves. Sometimes it's so easy I'll pull off a move when I don't even do it's motion (I sometimes do a Spiral Arrow or and Cannon Spike when doing a half-circle back, or I'll do a Cannon Spike when all I do is barely touch the stick.).

ParanoidFreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By ParanoidFreak

Practice in the arcade mode and you will be able to win a couple fights online.

Babble

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Babble

I would say the learning curve to understand what you are doing and not just button mash is probably a week or two. Getting good at the game is obviously a much much longer process. 

sfighter21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By sfighter21

Hahaha, that flowchart is f***'in genius!  Laughed so hard.  But yeah, this game is great, good or not, you'll have fun.  And you'll learn a thing or two while you go.  But yeah, no more Kens.  I want to see more Roses!!  I have never fought against one yet!  I'm like the only one...

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That flowchart is my new wallpaper.

Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#14  Edited By Jeffsekai

If u havnt played anything SF related, 5-7 hrs

StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#15  Edited By StaticFalconar

To learn the moves? maybe a day? to have it in your muscle memory? if you play everyday maybe a week or a month depending on how you learn.

To really know what you're doing and not just pressing buttons perhaps a full month or two more. (This is where most people stop playing the game)

To do the crazy as shit you see in tournament videos? a shit load more hours that you may not even want to pursue it. (at that point you're in practice mode trying to get combos and techniques down that you could have used that time to learn a new instrument. But in many ways SF4 is like an instrument and if you want to get good enough to start money matching people or enter tournaments to win money, it will pay off eventually.)

waxdart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By waxdart

I think the question is less about the length of the learning curve and more about whether or not you'll enjoy the learning, which is of course a matter of personal preference.

I never played any variant of Street Fighter before IV. For whatever reason I was attracted to this one. Been playing it on and off roughly since it came out on the consoles. I would say that I have very basic execution down, just finally getting to a place where the motions feel like they're becoming subconscious, but still wouldn't call myself anything near "good at the game".

On the other hand, the thing I've found most rewarding is playing people who are way way better than me, forcing me to really explore the intricacies of the mechanics. So, yeah. I'd definitely say I'm still on the learning curve, but enjoying it all the way.

nrain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#17  Edited By nrain

focus. cancel. dash.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#18  Edited By CL60

Learning curve isn't that much just as long as you are willing to put the effort into it and actually try.

ImperiousRix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

User Lists: 4

#19  Edited By ImperiousRix

The learning curve varies depending on your experience in this kinda game.  I'd say with a couple weeks of steady play, you should have the confidence and "skill" to take your game online.  There, you will be baptized in the fires of battle, and if you survive, you should have garnered enough knowledge to consider yourself "pretty good".

Kinarion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#20  Edited By Kinarion

It's a good fighting game, so the learning curve is probably infinite.  It's basically up to you where you decide to get off.

Dachef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Dachef

Just play through arcade mode a couple of times and you'll be okay.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.