Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Street Fighter V

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Feb 16, 2016

The fifth numbered entry in Capcom's signature fighting game series revamps the game's mechanics yet again while using a new system for post-release content.

50% off on Steam: Worth it for a casual player?

triple07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 9

So Street Fighter V is on sale on Steam this weekend during the anime sale. Curious to see what duders think about the game in its current state and specifically for my interests if it would appeal to someone who never plans on getting competitive and play against randoms. I'm mostly interested to see how the story stuff came out as I enjoyed it in the newer MK games, and playing against friends of similar (very low) skill.

So what do you guys think? Also in general how is SF:V doing? For reference right now 4 and 5 are the same price due to the sale.

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

It's a phenomenal game, but only if you're willing to put the time in. Forget about ever playing online, even at the lower levels, unless you're willing to take the time to figure everything out. However, it's by far the best offline multiplayer game I've ever played if you have a group of friends who are at at similar skill level.

The story stuff is hot garbage. Bison created some moons or something to destroy the Earth or something, but for some reason there are six trinkets that can save the day or something. Nash is angry and wants to fight Bison. Rashid is there. Necalli is a monster. That's about it. The character stories are even worse.

Avatar image for do_the_manta_ray
    Do_The_Manta_Ray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Do_The_Manta_Ray

Okay, let me preface this by saying that I've put a looot of hours into SFV, and I see myself investing a whole lot more in the coming months. I played, obsessively, throughout last year only to then fall off the game some time after the release of the second season (23rd of December if I remember correctly), as there was very little going on in terms of tournaments, and I frankly felt that the game was quite unbalanced. There's a major patch coming at the end of next month which is looking to fix the majority of my complaints, as well as adding a host of new features and also reducing loading times, etc. Tournaments are also back in full swing now, and providing a host of entertainment.

Here's an example.

So yeah, this wouldn't be a bad time to pick up the game. I'd almost say wait until end of next month, but I doubt they'll put it up on sale again by then. And if they do, it very likely won't be this cheap. So grab that damn thing, play through the story, have some games with your pals. And if you're still interested in playing more by the end of next month, then you'll be well incentivized to do so. (There will also very likely be another character release at that point.)

And hey, if you need any help, or just looking to shoot the shit and have some games, check out our FGC at this very website. Some of the very nicest folks on GB are to be found there. And also @hassun

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By OurSin_360

Its better than at launch so if you like street fighter go for it. Still no basic arcade mode I don't think but story mode was cool in a bad(good bad)anime way. Combos are easier than other street fighter games but still too timing heavy for me.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

It's a terrible game for a casual player, only interesting if you really want to put effort into it; but it really ultimately depends on your expectations for success in that case. It's virtually impossible to become really good at the game without a local scene of some kind, unlike NRS games where most of the training occurs online. Online is a useful tool and the best players online are frequently the best players offline but as far as becoming truly exceptional, forget about it unless you live in a big city. This is a worldwide thing except Japan since the entirety of Honshu is going to be relatively close to a big city.

V is only doing well in the competitive scene, I think if they made a well timed free to play push and put out Arcade modes for each of the characters simultaneously they have a shot at reviving interest in the game commercially.

ivdamke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

SFV has been on shaky ground for over a year and only now they're running a beta to improve their online infrastructure. If this update goes well it will be in a good spot with only one remaining glaring flaw (asymmetrical netcode).

Personally I think the story is hot garbage and worse than the MK ones in almost every single way. As you would expect its filled with bad writing but the biggest offenders are constant mesh clipping in cutscenes and loading screens between every single cutscene and in-game fight transition.

As for whether you'll enjoy it without planning on getting competitive that's totally dependant on you and how content you'll be with constantly losing to randoms.

I would say though, although it's an online only beta they've made it entirely free to anyone so you may as well give the game a shot in battle lounge against some randoms to see if you like the feel of the gameplay.

It's up for a few more days here's the link:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/593880/

LiquidSaiyan3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#7  Edited By LiquidSaiyan3

If you're interested primarily for the story, it's pretty bad. You might find some enjoyment out of it if you like really bad B-movies, but I liken it to watching a kid play with their G.I. Joes.

The part where you fight other people is really good. The only thing is the game almost goes out of its way not to teach you how to play it, but it doesn't sound like you're too interested in diving deep into the mechanics of the game. It helps that the game is one of the more approachable series on the market, so I'm certain you'll have fun with like-minded friends.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.