Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Street Fighter V

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Feb 16, 2016

The fifth numbered entry in Capcom's signature fighting game series revamps the game's mechanics yet again while using a new system for post-release content.

The new street fighter exclusivity deal really annoys me.

• 62 results
    PrivodOtmenit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By PrivodOtmenit

@kishinfoulux said:

Don't worry you'll get either Super Street Fighter or Ultra down the line. Also this game may as well be Street Fighter 4.5. Looks pretty lame.

You have no idea what you are even talking about. If you were following any of the info about the game you'd know this, the game is going to be drastically different to SFIV, it also looks much, much, much better in terms of graphics.

Lastly, it's about 20% complete as said by the producer himself, but hey it's Capcom and people love talking shit about them on here, especially when they release DLC/updates for Street Fighter.

Street Fighter V is looking to be as big a change to Street Fighter as Third Strike was to Super Turbo. Listening to what Ono was saying about the game is reason enough to be excited, it sounds like they are going all out with this in terms of character variety and adding character specific game mechanics.

Green_Lantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The new street fighter exclusivity deal really annoys me.

Any exclusivity deal for any game is bound to annoy someone. It's a dumb practice that only hurts gamers but unfortunately it's probably here to stay while Sony and Microsoft continue to go head to head...also, as others have already said, I'm pretty sure this game wouldn't be coming out anytime soon unless Sony stepped in and helped pay the bills, atleast that's the rumor going around.

71Ranchero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Its really weird seeing people up in arms over this. Like this draws the line in the sand. Decades of Capcom having preferred/lead platforms, staggering releases, and never releasing many games for more then a single platform and this is the thing that sets everyone off.

Zirilius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

It's no different then the Bayonetta 2 deal (which still bums me out). I'd rather see the game get made and released then die in purgatory. At some point I'll know someone with a Wii-u or it'll get cheap enough for me to buy one so I can play it.

I hope that by limiting it to the two sku's they'll be able to do better net code for both systems cause it was about one step above garbage on PS3 and under the heap for PC.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#55  Edited By StarvingGamer

@professoress said:

@humanity said:

@jazz: People say this with such conviction. I'm not going to argue the point because as I said, no one knows for sure, and it's pointless to go crazy defending something I can't even prove. That said it would be completely ridiculous if this is actually the case, that one of the biggest developer/publishers in Japan has no money to develop a sequel to one of their flagship series.

I would like to see some sort of proof for this too. I'm not gonna argue it either, but I'm certainly not going to believe it simply because Sony/Capcom PR said so.

@flaminghobo said:

I'm well aware of the rumours and speculation that Sony has funded the development costs of Street Fighter V but has anyone found any solid proof of this?

It simply makes sense. Capcom financials have been in a bad spot for a long time. Ono has spoken publicly about not having the funding necessary to start development on SFV. SF may seem big but the most popular game in a niche genre is still a niche game. RE and MH are the more reliable money-makers. In the year since Ono's statement Capcom financials have not improved, yet suddenly SFV has appeared with a solid-looking playable build. So what is more likely, Capcom magically found the money to make SFV happen and is forgoing any potential profits from sales on Xbox for a lark? Or that Sony stepped in with a wad of dough and pushed that game through development Bayonetta 2 style?

@kishinfoulux said:

Don't worry you'll get either Super Street Fighter or Ultra down the line. Also this game may as well be Street Fighter 4.5. Looks pretty lame.

Ryu will always look like Ryu. A Hadoken will always look like a Hadoken. You have to look beyond that to see what really makes a fighting game tick. To anyone with knowledge about fighting game mechanics it should be immediately apparent how differently SFV seems to play from SFIV.

@green_lantern said:

It's a dumb practice that only hurts gamers ... I'm pretty sure this game wouldn't be coming out anytime soon unless Sony stepped in and helped pay the bills...

So giving PS4 and PC players the opportunity to play a game that they wouldn't have been able to play otherwise is a dumb practice that only hurts gamers?

BeardyDuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By BeardyDuck

Pretty sure PHIL SPENCER released a post on why SF5 isn't coming to XBOne, and he said he doesn't want it competing with Killer Instinct.

edit: Also here's a list of things I noticed from both the exhibition match and the gameplay trailer.

1. Guard Crush and Stun use the same counter. If you watch the footage of the match you see that whenever anyone blocks or takes damage their life bar turns a darker shade of red, but slowly returns to bright green over time. It doesn't seem to have an exact point, but more of an indicator.

2. Normals do slight chip damage, specials do more. It doesn't seem that you can kill by chip? It seems like normals do "white health" chip, which is recoverable over time.

3. Two bars: EX and Revenge. Ryu has less EX than Chun. He can activate his stance change faster but it definitely doesn't last as long as hers. Probably the penalty for having a smaller EX bar.

4. Stance Change (I've heard it called V-Trigger) seems to make all your moves special, and it seems to make Ryu's moves have greater hit stun. This seems to have replaced super combos.

5. Stage transitions exist, and it only seems to extend the stage. Unclear if this happens evenly, as we never saw the right side. This could make corner combat less prominent if stages can be triple wide.

6. Cinematic KOs!

7. Revenge can be combo'd into, so even though they may be ultras they function fundamentally different. At one point, Ryu cancels his low forward into Shinku Hadouken (not DENJIN)

8. My theory is that if you use your Revenge move while in your V-Trigger, you get the enhanced version (such as Denjin instead of Shinku)

9. Regular EX moves still exist, and take one bar. However, they seem more like super moves. Ryu's EX Shoryu is now the Shin Shoryu, which is exciting. Looks like a bigger difference between regular and EX.

10. Animations are very realistic. Characters reel and move based on where they were hit.

11. Hit stun seemed bigger all around, but combos didn't seem longer (may just have been the way players play)

12. If stage transitions aren't even (as in, left side opens up but right doesn't) then maybe the game randomly decides where you begin, so you don't fight over who gets P1 or P2 based on the stage. This explains why there is a Player marker over each character, if your start location is different every round. EDIT: I watched it again. In the first round, Ryu and Chun change sides (so that Chun is on the left) after the stage transition. Then, after round two, Chun is now on the right again, based on where she was KOed. This is a more likely usage for the P1 and P2 markers.

13. Revenge seems to have 2 levels. It's possible Shinku only takes one Revenge bar and Denjin takes two, or just that it gets stronger if you have it at full. When Ryu uses the Shinku he isn't at full meter, but he loses all of it. Revenge doesn't last between rounds, as before.

14. Games seem very fast, as a result of normals doing chip damage and every move seeming to have very high damage and combo potential.

15. In the trailer we see something that looks like a parry, but could just be a push block.

16. We can see in the trailer Ryu cancels his Shoryuken into his V-Trigger, which makes it more clear how you are expected to safely enter that mode. It also makes it more clear how it works without losing it before getting a chance to use it (see how fast Mike Ross lost his V-Trigger? May be dependent on how much you get hit.)

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Pretty sure PHIL SPENCER released a post on why SF5 isn't coming to XBOne, and he said he doesn't want it competing with Killer Instinct.

I seriously doubt he would say that. Do you happen to have a link or remember where you heard that?

Zirilius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By Zirilius

@beardyduck said:

I seriously doubt he would say that. Do you happen to have a link or remember where you heard that?

IGN Link

Basic Quote from him in that was this

"Business deals happen. We won't do all of them. When we have a first party franchise in a genre I'd rather invest in ours," Spencer said on Twitter, when asked what he thought of the announcement.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#59  Edited By cornbredx

Ya, a lot of people are bothered by it.

It doesn't affect me because I only play the Street Fighter games I have on Genesis, but I personally cannot fathom why it matters so much to people. Whether or not they can afford to put it on other systems doesn't matter. They chose not to. They chose to make V through the funding of Sony. That's all that matters.

Bad business strategy? I don't know. Maybe. I'm not convinced a new street fighter would actually sell that well. I don't think they're doing as well as some people seem to think, though. I'm not sure a lot of people complaining about this actually understand how business works.

If it does well they will make another one that they release widely, anyway. That's how Capcom does. All you have to do is wait longer if you don't have a PS4.

Green_Lantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@green_lantern said:

It's a dumb practice that only hurts gamers ... I'm pretty sure this game wouldn't be coming out anytime soon unless Sony stepped in and helped pay the bills...

So giving PS4 and PC players the opportunity to play a game that they wouldn't have been able to play otherwise is a dumb practice that only hurts gamers?

The first part of my comment was referring to the practice of buying exclusivity in general, no matter the game, whether it be Rise of the Tomb Raider or Call of Duty maps or Destiny strikes, NOT just Street Fighter V. I'm aware that SFV doesn't exactly fit into that generalization as Sony is "partnering" with Capcom rather than paying for an exclusive DLC or a third party developed game.

That said, I stick by my original point, unless developed by a first party studio, fully funded by Sony or Microsoft from the beginning, exclusivity is stupid and hurts gamers more than it helps them.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#61  Edited By SpaceInsomniac

@zirilius said:

@spaceinsomniac said:

@beardyduck said:

IGN Link

"Business deals happen. We won't do all of them. When we have a first party franchise in a genre I'd rather invest in ours," Spencer said on Twitter, when asked what he thought of the announcement.

Thanks. That makes a bit more sense. He's saying they're already investing in a tournament fighter, so it doesn't make sense to pay for the development of this one. Based on the way it was paraphrased, it sounded more like he was saying that he wouldn't want a 3rd party fighter competing with KI, and would rather Street Fighter be exclusive to their competitor, which would be nuts.

GaspoweR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By GaspoweR

@spaceinsomniac said:

@zirilius said:

@spaceinsomniac said:

@beardyduck said:

IGN Link

Thanks. That makes a bit more sense. He's saying they're already investing in a tournament fighter, so it doesn't make sense to pay for the development of this one. Based on the way it was paraphrased, it sounded more like he was saying that he wouldn't want a 3rd party fighter competing with KI, and would rather Street Fighter be exclusive to their competitor, which would be nuts.

From when I first read that last week after the announcement, it sounds more like Capcom was shopping around Street Fighter to both Sony and MS (and maybe other publishers but I'm not sure) and Capcom ended up just going with Sony. I'm sure Capcom and MS would've wanted SF 5 to have also been on the Xbox One but Capcom didn't have enough money to fund it on their own to be able to develop the game anyway. It was a tough financial decision and as we know, Capcom is currently open to a takeover since last year so they really are having tough time trying to fund their own games. AFAIK this was also the case with Dead Rising 3.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.