Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Super Mario Galaxy

Game » consists of 11 releases. Released Nov 01, 2007

In Mario's first Wii adventure, the famed plumber travels throughout the universe on his latest quest to save Princess Peach from the evil Bowser.

242 Stars

Lies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 14

Edited By Lies
    After seeing fellow Bomber JJOR64 claim victory over all the stars in Super Mario Galaxy, I decided I wanted to go back through and 100% it too. I had already gotten all 120 with Mario and about 30 with Luigi, but I went back, wanting to get them all. Today, I have succeeded in that goal. I have gotten all 242 stars in Super Mario Galaxy. Not that it's particularly hard, but I always get a great sense of satisfaction from seeing something through all the way to the end, 100%. I know in this day and age people play for reasons other than just wanting to play- achievements and trophies incentivize players to play all the way to the end, if only for the reward of some points. Mario Galaxy doesn't give you much of a reward, just a message from the developers and some pictures. That doesn't really bother me though, because Galaxy is such an amazing game, just getting to play it is really reward enough. Super Mario Galaxy is one of the best games I've played in the last decade, no contest, and every time I play it is a joy. It's the type of game that's becoming dangerously rare in this age and it's great to see that they still do exist. I don't need any motivation to play Galaxy- the game itself is motivation enough. There's no competitive multiplayer, no epic story, no bonus features, no unlockables- the game is all there is. And that's enough. There's a refreshing frankness to that, and it's delightful when the game is actually good enough for that to be all you need.

Hopefully Galaxy 2 delivers in the same way. If not, well, I got the play of two Mario games out of Galaxy.
    Lies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 14

#1  Edited By Lies
    After seeing fellow Bomber JJOR64 claim victory over all the stars in Super Mario Galaxy, I decided I wanted to go back through and 100% it too. I had already gotten all 120 with Mario and about 30 with Luigi, but I went back, wanting to get them all. Today, I have succeeded in that goal. I have gotten all 242 stars in Super Mario Galaxy. Not that it's particularly hard, but I always get a great sense of satisfaction from seeing something through all the way to the end, 100%. I know in this day and age people play for reasons other than just wanting to play- achievements and trophies incentivize players to play all the way to the end, if only for the reward of some points. Mario Galaxy doesn't give you much of a reward, just a message from the developers and some pictures. That doesn't really bother me though, because Galaxy is such an amazing game, just getting to play it is really reward enough. Super Mario Galaxy is one of the best games I've played in the last decade, no contest, and every time I play it is a joy. It's the type of game that's becoming dangerously rare in this age and it's great to see that they still do exist. I don't need any motivation to play Galaxy- the game itself is motivation enough. There's no competitive multiplayer, no epic story, no bonus features, no unlockables- the game is all there is. And that's enough. There's a refreshing frankness to that, and it's delightful when the game is actually good enough for that to be all you need.

Hopefully Galaxy 2 delivers in the same way. If not, well, I got the play of two Mario games out of Galaxy.
    Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 12

#2  Edited By Meowayne

I have actually collected a couple of additional Luigi stars as well because of JJOR64's thread. Maybe I'll see the 100% some day as well.

Awesome game.

Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Dalai

It's one of the only Wii games I come back to on occasion even though I got 242 stars over a year ago.  Welcome to the club.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#4  Edited By ArbitraryWater

All these threads are doing is making me want to unlock Luigi even though I only have all the super-hard stars left. Congrats anyways.

ThomasP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By ThomasP

Dude, congrats. I've been meaning to get the rest of the stars for a while now. A few of the purple coin challenges are super hard.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By Linkyshinks

Well done dude.  I agree with your thoughts on the game. It is a Mario masterpiece. It's amazing to think is that the game never reached it's full potential in terms of design, and yet it's still considered one of Miyamoto's greatest ever games, a game he himself believes to be "quite conservative".  I am now very confident the sequel is going to truly amaze gamers, I think it will be like SMB3 and SM64 all over again. It's going to be awesome to play a game where Miyamoto takes a no holds barred approach to gameplay concepts and level design, we have never seen that from him but we will now because he's well aware of the audiences criticisms of the first game.

This pic was taken on launch night here in London by the Thames river...

KamasamaK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 12

#7  Edited By KamasamaK

Welcome to the club, Daniel.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By JJOR64

Congrats man.  :)

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.