Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Super Nintendo Entertainment System

Platform »

The Super Nintendo Entertainment System was the second home console released by Nintendo.

Were you able to get a SNES Classic?

fnrslvr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Were you able to get a SNES Classic? (294 votes)

No, they were sold out everywhere. 17%
    No, but I didn't try very hard to find one. 23%
    Yes, but I preordered. 27%
    Yes, but I waited outside a shop before opening time to get one. 5%
    Yes, there were only a few left when I arrived and I got lucky. 4%
    Yes, it seems like there are plenty to go around in my area. 5%
    Other, feel free to specify below. 5%
    Answers pls. 14%

I ask because I wasn't planning on getting one, but I wandered into a shop on the evening of launch day, just happening to be shopping for Switch stuff (aside: the Switch pro controller is surprisingly impressive, I think the build quality compares well with the Xbox Elite controller), and saw two SNES classics sitting behind the counter. So then I brought it up with the lady behind the counter...

Me: "So what's the stock situation like with the SNES classic? I mean, I imagine those are spoken for by preorders..."

Lady: "Oh, no, we weren't taking preorders for the SNES classic. We had a hundred of them this morning, most of them got snapped up at opening time by people lined up outside and the rest sold throughout the day. Those are the last two we have."

Me: "...uh, haha, I'll take one?"

...so now I have a SNES classic. Haven't used it yet, I don't have a lot of time to sink into it and it looks so neatly packed in the box that I'm having a hard time bringing myself to disturb the packaging.

The SNES isn't a huge part of my childhood. I had one for a year as a kid between having my Mega Drive (Genesis for North America people) die on me and getting a N64, and have played roughly a third of the games that come preloaded on the classic. Nevertheless I remember enough of those games fondly (particularly Super Mario World and Super Mario Cart), I'm curious about some of the other games included, and I think it's a good deal for the price, so I don't feel like I got swept up into a bad purchasing decision by the hype.

But it got me thinking: was it hard for people who really wanted this thing to get it? Did Nintendo's recent claims that there would be sufficient stock after all bear out, or will some poor nostalgia warrior miss out because of my opportunistic purchase? Hence the poll.

I'd also be curious to know how this breaks down by country (I'm in Australia fwiw), but a poll won't provide that kind of info, so if you find yourself commenting in this thread it might be worth noting which country you're in while you're at it.

• 
    Captain_Insano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 15

I had a pre-order through JB Hi Fi. No issues. Easy to order and arrived earlier this week (Aus too obviously)

FrodoBaggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yep, pre ordered as soon as the news broke and walking in release day to pick it up.

berniesbc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I showed up at a Target in South Philadelphia about 45 minutes before they opened. Probably the 15th person in line. Maybe 25 more people lined up after me and got one. No big deal.

MrTambo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By MrTambo

I wasn't going to get one but Wario64 posted on Twitter about the Amazon treasure trucks and sure enough there was one in Portland. So I went and picked it up after work.

The treasure truck itself was bizarre. They had one of those ball toss games with stickers and whatnot as prizes. I just got my snes and went home.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
    TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

#5  Edited By TheManWithNoPlan

Yes I did. I waited for the Target online pre order a few hours before it went live. I put it in my cart and ordered within 2 minutes of it being available - SOLD OUT. Despite having all my credit card info attached to my account, I was made to re-enter it all again before I could submit my purchase. Never had that happen before. Because of this I missed out.

Later in the day I became aware that gamestop was taking in store pre orders and after a short period of sulking over my target mishap, I rushed over to my local store and got the very last one available for allotment. I'm one lucky sob.

Tom_omb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#6  Edited By Tom_omb

I peaked into a couple stores, but didn't see any. Thinking, at the time, it might make a good Christmas present for a friend. It's a bit out of the price range and I have a better idea now for a gift. As for myself I still have my SNES and I can play the games I care about on my Wii U. It's a neat thing, but I don't have the space for more plastic junk.

ninnanuam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By ninnanuam

I pre ordered two and actually got both.

I'll give one to a friend for birthday.

Teddie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Teddie

Yup, preorders went up months before they did in the US and didn't sell out until mid-September. Didn't have any trouble finding one, though it seems like AUs/NZ may have their own version because the console is the same as the EU one, but the packaging is different, so maybe they just made way too many for this region?

The major sites selling them here all had 1-per-person limits though so that probably helped a bit.

Snakebeard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Amazon treasure truck is new in Portland, OR. They sent a text about having them available but I didn't have the money at the time.

TopCat88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

I'm in Taiwan. Nintendo don't do Taiwanese versions of anything so we need to get Japanese imports. This goes for all Nintendo products as far as I understand. Pre-orders were a shambles, with nobody knowing the final price or release date (because they are provided by agents in Japan and not officially available). I preordered from two places and got one from my local store (they had 5 in stock). It cost 130usd, which is not bad for an import. Play-asia are changing more than that I believe.

Avatar image for deactivated-633c70ff026e8
    deactivated-633c70ff026e8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I tried ordering one on ThinkGeek, their website was a mess when the order went up, I got a PayPal confirmation, but not confirmation from ThinkGeek. I talked to a customer service rep and she said they had to manually process the order. The payment still shows as pending on Paypal after a week so at this point I've given up on ever getting one.

Axersia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Axersia

Yeah, at first I wasn't sure I wanted one due to the price increase and the design flaw that is the controller port flap, but after seeing what games were on it, and knowing that I still had to beat a lot of them (despite owning a bunch of them on actual cartridge), I decided to get one anyway.

Amazon France had the most available in all of Europe, so I was able to pre-order one there very easily. I later managed to get a pre-order on Amazon Germany as well, but after taking a look at the resale value, it didn't seem worth flipping, so I gave up the pre-order in hopes that someone else would get it to keep it.

So far I haven't played that much yet. Spent about 3 hours on Super Mario RPG and found it incredibly dull (and not to mention ugly) compared to the Mario & Luigi series. EarthBound I already beat for the first time last year, but I might pick up FF6 on this since I only got an hour into the GBA version. Then there's still Donkey Kong Country and Yoshi's Island, which I played most of, but never truly beat (I think my mom beat the final bosses back in the day). And Super Metroid, which I barely played anything of. Those will be the the games I'll focus on in the immediate future.

Panfoot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nope, tried to pre-order but the amazon ones went up sometime during the night and instantly sold out, missed any other chance to pre-order due to similar problems. Had a job interview the morning off so the earliest I would have been able to try and get one was 2 or 3 hours after all the stores opened so didn't' even bother.

NoDeath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Yeah it looks like I had a very similar experience to you (I'm also in Australia). I was in a JB Hi-Fi about 3 days after release. Was there to buy something completely unrelated and just ended up mentioning it to an employee in a "I bet there's no chance of getting one, huh" kind of way and the guy just said "oh, nah we've got like 30 of them" so I got one.

PDXSonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By PDXSonic

I ended up getting one from the initial batch of Amazon UK preorders, even though it didn't say it was able to be shipped to the US.

It's handy because I struck out on all the other preorders (but managed to get a Project Scorpio One X).

ProtoSound

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No. By the time I was aware of pre-orders nobody was taking them anymore and I had work in the morning so no standing in line. Haven't found one in the wild since launch so as far as I'm concerned Nintendo's claim bs.

WillyOD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Pre-ordered when it was 99 Euros, just because SNES is the only platform I haven't properly experienced outside of emulators.

Then they hiked up the price and I instantly cancelled. I could buy a Raspberry Pi with controllers TIMES two with the price of what they're asking.

Cool stuff, but Nintendo has been lost for years, and this is just another ripoff.

rand0mZer00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I preordered mine when Amazon had that early morning listing pop up. It just got fulfilled last week, but I'm happy I got one. It's really cool.

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Got pulled up into the hype in the same way as Abby mentioned on the Beastcast two(?) weeks ago, when initially I didn't have any plans to buy the system. I played around with it for 1-2 weeks and enjoyed some of the games, but eventually just sold it off for some profit. Think I'll just wait for the Virtual Console to appear on Switch for now.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Shindig  Online

Nope. I wasn't pushing super hard for one but used stock is already hitting the market for £140. If I want to do it legit I could grab a switch and wait for VC to hit (or grab a used Wii and load that up with VC content. A Pi might come in handy over Christmas, though.

I wish they'd be cool like Sega and just throw out a compilation disc every once in a while.

CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My pre-order was cancelled on shipping day. Felt bad :-/

Haven't seen it on shelves or in (German) online shops since then.

bwheeeler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love mine. All I've done for the past few weeks is play kickass old Nintendo games. It's the best.

thebisonxrc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Yep, I managed to get one by pre-ordering at my local EB. It’s such a cool little thing with a great lineup of games. Actually, it’s the first SNES I’ve ever owned (I had a Genesis at the time), so that in itself has me pretty darn excited.

citan359

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Got mine pretty late from the Amazon pre-order nonsense, but that worked out since I got a free month of prime and 5 dollars credit for being like "yo wtf guys" and I wasn't in a rush so yay.

That said... Secret of Mana did not age well for me. But at least now I can finally beat this game I use to only be able to play in short bursts at a friends house.

choppasmith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was somehow lucky and was online at just the right time and got one preordered on Best Buy. Haven't played on it much yet. I have it hooked up to my pc monitor as just a casual distraction if my main tv is being used by someone else.

Cold_Wolven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Pre-ordered it the day it was available for pre-order at EB Games and now it's just sitting in my wardrobe since I'm not in the mood to playing any of those games at the moment.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Didn't put in any pre-order or launch day effort but after searching around the past week it seems to be sold out everywhere as a general rule on a continuing basis (Edmonton, Alberta).

totsboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

I didn't try looking for one yet, but if it's anything like the nes classic, it's gonna be easy to find here in Cyprus.

bill_mcneal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I work at Target. First day we got about 84 or close to that. We've gotten...two other shipments: 20 and 12. They lasted all day each time (but I suspect people didn't think we had them).

Obviously this is one store in one location.

For those looking to get...try to get one, Target will have them Sunday. They're featured in the Sunday ad and assuming your local store (should you have one) doesn't run into a shipping problem, or puts them on shelves early...

pauljeremiah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#30  Edited By pauljeremiah

I pre-ordered mine via Gamestop and on launch day mine hadn't come in, I'm still waiting for it and it's now expected to arrive in early November. A friend of mine at work had pre-ordered two, one via a toy store and the other via online and both came through for him, so I bought his second one off him at face value. I now plan to give the Gamestop one I'm waiting for to my brother for Xmas.

Torrim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#31  Edited By Torrim

So, my fiance knew a guy that, well, in my opinion, was still hopelessly crushing on her. He happened to work at Gamestop and we milked that shit. He said he'd hold one for her (me), which I was almost sure went against half a dozen company policies or something. It finally came in and we just so happened to be on vacation six hours away. Since he could only hold it for a day, we enlisted her mom who and picked it up and dropped it off at the house for us. I added a bit of a finder's fee for her trouble.

I was playing it, scrolling through the myriad of games and legal ways to finally play Starfox and Yoshi's Island and just throught "Oh no, did I just spend a hundred dollars for 20 games I've already played back in the day and rebought on the virtual console a time or two?" but then slid up that power button to click and it all felt so right. Then I ordered 10ft extension cables off Amazon. Welp.

It was probably too much trouble in the end, but I'm fine with it overall. Well, not for me. I just sat on my ass on vacation while everyone else did the work to get me one. I'm the worst.

ciscoidiot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By ciscoidiot

Yes. I was able to preorder 3 SNES Classics. I was lucky enough to be browsing Twitter during the Best Buy and Wal-Mart availability announcements. I kept one, gifted another, and sold another to a co-worker for MSRP.

If it was any more difficult than just being lucky and preordering, I wouldn't bother. I went through that shit with the NES classic and decided I would only go after the SNES if I could buy it in store or catch a preorder. I think being in mountain time zone helped when these companies had the items ready for preorder it wasn't ridiculously late for me. Also luck.

totsboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

Walked in a store this Saturday and found a bunch just sitting there:

No Caption Provided

bathala

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By bathala

Sold 2 one in reserve going to sell it on Black Friday.

One JPN Super Famicom to play

All preorders

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.