Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Super Smash Bros. Melee

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Nov 21, 2001

The second in the Super Smash Bros. series brings the four-player brawling action to the GameCube, significantly expanding the roster and single-player content while refining gameplay.

Let me explain myself.

wumbo3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 38

Edited By wumbo3000

Super Smash Bros. Melee is my favorite game of all time.  You may know this from looking at my list, which I will shamelessly plug here.  Now, before you get your pitchforks out and start to kill me, there's a reason for this.  A perfectly logical one.

I grew up as a kid playing Playstation 2 and GameCube games.  I know this may be heresy to all you old folk, but I'm still pretty young so cut me some slack when I say that I haven't played all the classics of the NES and SNES era.  I do have an older brother who played these systems so I still have a lot of exposure to them, but PS2 and GCN games are what I was playing when I was growing up.  The first console I ever received was the PS2 as a birthday present.  I remember playing a lot of PS1 games on it actually, games like Spyro: Year of the Dragon.  I'm not really sure why I played PS1 games on my PS2, but hell, I had a blast.  I also loved games like the first Jak and Daxter and Ratchet and Clank.  Eventually, I also got a GameCube, and this is when I really started to get into the world of video games.

I don't know.  I liked it.
    I remember the GameCube I bought came with Mario Kart: Double Dash and it was awesome.  I still don't know why people still poo poo on that game so much; sure it's not the best but it's still a fun game when you play with friends.  And then the next game I got is what changed my life....SSBM!

When I first got that game, I really enjoyed it, but didn't really love it.  I played through the Classic and Adventure mode, played some multiplayer, and got some trophies.  After that, I unlocked all the characters, and that was about it.  I thought I had "beat" the game and I was done.  Nothing really amazing popped out at me and it didn't revolutionize anything.  So I moved onto my next game and life went on...

Until a couple of years later when I decided to pop this sucker back in.  I usually do this; play games you've beaten before just to see how it holds up.  As I was fiddling around with the multiplayer, I found the thing that changed SSBM for me: spiking.  Now, veterans of SSBM know what I'm talking about.  It's when a character is trying to come back on to the platform, and while they're in midair, you jump to them and execute a "spike" move which makes them plummet instantly to their death.  The specific spike that I first found was Captain Falcon's jumping down A (aka his dair for you SSBM vets).  If you know what that move looks like, then you know it looks hilarious.  Captain Falcon would kick both feet at the ground like some psycho, and me and my brother thought this was awesome/funny/ridiculous.  We affectionately called it "feet first."
    Oh Captain Falcon.  You so crazy.

After discovering spiking, I found out that the SSBM was an insanely deep and complex game.  As I became more and more familiar with the Internet and the endless amount of information that could be found there, I learned about techniques such as wavedashing and L-canceling.  I also found out about the SSBM tournament scene in the MLG circuit.  Players like Ken and Isai amazed me with their skill.  After learning about the depth that SSBM had, me and my brother played the FUCKING SHIT out of that game.  Seriously.  It was scary how much we played.  I played more than 200 hours of that game.  Probably a lot more actually.  I'll never know the actual time spent because Baten Kaitos formatted my GCN memory card for some odd reason (I'll always hate Baten Kaitos because of that).  Even after I lost all my data, I unlocked all the characters again and probably spent another 200 hours.  This is why it is my favorite game of all time.

Which brings me to my next point.  No matter what, games that people have played as a kid will always be considered their all time favorites.  Memories of childhood are like wine: they get better with age.  People will always look back to the games of their childhood fondly.  So try to remember this the next time you're blasting someone for saying that Majora's Mask is their favorite game of all time.

DON'T BE A HATER
    DON'T BE A HATER
    wumbo3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By wumbo3000

Super Smash Bros. Melee is my favorite game of all time.  You may know this from looking at my list, which I will shamelessly plug here.  Now, before you get your pitchforks out and start to kill me, there's a reason for this.  A perfectly logical one.

I grew up as a kid playing Playstation 2 and GameCube games.  I know this may be heresy to all you old folk, but I'm still pretty young so cut me some slack when I say that I haven't played all the classics of the NES and SNES era.  I do have an older brother who played these systems so I still have a lot of exposure to them, but PS2 and GCN games are what I was playing when I was growing up.  The first console I ever received was the PS2 as a birthday present.  I remember playing a lot of PS1 games on it actually, games like Spyro: Year of the Dragon.  I'm not really sure why I played PS1 games on my PS2, but hell, I had a blast.  I also loved games like the first Jak and Daxter and Ratchet and Clank.  Eventually, I also got a GameCube, and this is when I really started to get into the world of video games.

I remember the GameCube I bought came with Mario Kart: Double Dash and it was awesome.  I still don't know why people still poo poo on that game so much; sure it's not the best but it's still a fun game when you play with friends.  And then the next game I got is what changed my life....SSBM!

When I first got that game, I really enjoyed it, but didn't really love it.  I played through the Classic and Adventure mode, played some multiplayer, and got some trophies.  After that, I unlocked all the characters, and that was about it.  I thought I had "beat" the game and I was done.  Nothing really amazing popped out at me and it didn't revolutionize anything.  So I moved onto my next game and life went on...

Until a couple of years later when I decided to pop this sucker back in.  I usually do this; play games you've beaten before just to see how it holds up.  As I was fiddling around with the multiplayer, I found the thing that changed SSBM for me: spiking.  Now, veterans of SSBM know what I'm talking about.  It's when a character is trying to come back on to the platform, and while they're in midair, you jump to them and execute a "spike" move which makes them plummet instantly to their death.  The specific spike that I first found was Captain Falcon's jumping down A (aka his dair for you SSBM vets).  If you know what that move looks like, then you know it looks hilarious.  Captain Falcon would kick both feet at the ground like some psycho, and me and my brother thought this was awesome/funny/ridiculous.  We affectionately called it "feet first."

After discovering spiking, I found out that the SSBM was an insanely deep and complex game.  As I became more and more familiar with the Internet and the endless amount of information that could be found there, I learned about techniques such as wavedashing and L-canceling.  I also found out about the SSBM tournament scene in the MLG circuit.  Players like Ken and Isai amazed me with their skill.  After learning about the depth that SSBM had, me and my brother played the FUCKING SHIT out of that game.  Seriously.  It was scary how much we played.  I played more than 200 hours of that game.  Probably a lot more actually.  I'll never know the actual time spent because Baten Kaitos formatted my GCN memory card for some odd reason (I'll always hate Baten Kaitos because of that).  Even after I lost all my data, I unlocked all the characters again and probably spent another 200 hours.  This is why it is my favorite game of all time.

Which brings me to my next point.  No matter what, games that people have played as a kid will always be considered their all time favorites.  Memories of childhood are like wine: they get better with age.  People will always look back to the games of their childhood fondly.  So try to remember this the next time you're blasting someone for saying that Majora's Mask is their favorite game of all time.

DON'T BE A HATER
    DON'T BE A HATER
    ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 9

#2  Edited By ImmortalSaiyan

I'm with you. I was 11 when I played Melee and love it in a way I feel I am no longer capable of.

Lunar_Aura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By Lunar_Aura

How the hell did Baten Kaitos format your memory card? Did you use one of those shitty 8x offbrand cards by any chance? Any hate you harbor for that game should be countered with the awesome music it produced.

matpaget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By matpaget

I agree. But sometimes, you should just leave those childhood memories alone. Some of the games that were my favourite when I was a kid just don't hold up today.  It's a recipe for tears.

wumbo3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By wumbo3000
    @LunarAura said:

How the hell did Baten Kaitos format your memory card? Did you use one of those shitty 8x offbrand cards by any chance? Any hate you harbor for that game should be countered with the awesome music it produced.

To be completely honest, it probably wasn't all Baten Kaitos' fault, but rather mine for being a dumb kid and messing around with something in the options menu.  But simply because Baten Kaitos was kinda "responsible" for it, I'll always have sour memories.  And the voice actors sounded like they were speaking through a tin can.
    m0rdr3d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By m0rdr3d

Nice.  I can see that.  I always kinda felt I missed out as far as multiplayer Melee and Double Dash go.  I tinkered with the solo modes, but my friends and I were too obsessed with Halo 1 co-op on legendary to give them a fair shake multiplayer-wise.
    Damian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By Damian

Good stuff. I haven't owned a Nintendo console since SNES. So I've always been out of the Smash Bros. loop. It was easy to look at, as a fighting game fan, and kind of dismiss as a kids game. But then you hear folk talking so passionately about it, and you gotta at least figure there's something to it. Once I figured that out, I never really questioned it. 
    I'm a die-hard MK guy. Street Fighter people have always crapped all over MK and its fans. I'd have to be one bitter knob to think the same way about Smash Bros. players, just because it focuses on different ideas.

Plus, I just love fighting games. The more original the better. I loved watching Power Stone games, 'cause I hadn't seen anything like that, and it was along the lines of some of my "why don't they make this sort of game?" ideas. Smash kind of fits that mould, as well. But again, I have no real knowledge of it. Just watched a few games. 
    Seems fun. 

I don't think an explanation is necessary.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.