Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Super Street Fighter IV

Game » consists of 28 releases. Released Feb 26, 2010

Super Street Fighter IV is a standalone update to its predecessor, adding new characters, modes, and online features.

Can someone please give me some tips to beat T Hawk?

Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By Shadow

I don't know what it is about this guy, but I just can't seem to beat anyone even slightly good with him.  I had the same issue for a long time against Zangief.  Anyone got any tips?  I'm usually using Dudley, by the way if that helps.

Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2  Edited By Shadow

Son of a....can someone please put this in the SSF4 forum?  My previous SSF4 thread had this same problem and still hasn't been fixed.

The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By The_A_Drain

Jump at him. If he likes to dive a lot pick someone with an air throw (Guy is a good one) and jump at that mofo, pluck him right out of the air until he stops that dive shit. 

Otherwise same as 'Gief, just stay the hell out of grab range, don't ever hover over him while he's on the floor and he's got ultra, etc etc. 

StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By StaticFalconar
    @The_A_Drain said:
    " Jump at him. If he likes to dive a lot pick someone with an air throw (Guy is a good one) and jump at that mofo, pluck him right out of the air until he stops that dive shit.  Otherwise same as 'Gief, just stay the hell out of grab range, don't ever hover over him while he's on the floor and he's got ultra, etc etc.  "
    THAWK has a DP move you know, so that would only work until he stops spamming the dive, and spams the DP to stuff you in the air instead.  

@Shadow: Both of those guys are new characters (yes they came from older SF games, but they never play exactly alike as their older game counterparts), so the best thing you can do is to just play someone who uses THAWK and play him and lose a lot until you find a way around his BS. If you're on PSN, hit me up (same as GB SN), I'm dabbling in both characters at the moment and this seems like an interesting puzzle to solve. 
    The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By The_A_Drain

@StaticFalconar said: " THAWK has a DP move you know, so that would only work until he stops spamming the dive, and spams the DP to stuff you in the air instead.  "

@The_A_Drain said: 
    " Jump at him. If he likes to dive a lot pick someone with an air throw (Guy is a good one) and jump at that mofo, pluck him right out of the air until he stops that dive shit.  Otherwise same as 'Gief, just stay the hell out of grab range, don't ever hover over him while he's on the floor and he's got ultra, etc etc.  "
    THAWK has a DP move you know, so that would only work until he stops spamming the dive, and spams the DP to stuff you in the air instead.        

Yes, I know that, thank you. But if you want to beat a shitty T. Hawk dive spammer, bitch slap his ass with an air throw, boo hoo so he changes his tactics? Deal with it when it happens once he has to think twice about diving you're on a more even guessing game, that's if the guy learns. If he doesn't keep throwing him.  

Jumping back is always a good way to bait/punish that shitty dive too, however you risk cornering yourself but if you can read him well that shouldn't be too much of a problem, just make sure you have a couple EX bars stored up to get out of trouble.
    Tesla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By Tesla

You can't stop T. Hawk, you can only hope to contain him.  But seriously, I've been trying to get good with him so if you want to practice against T. Hawk and you play on PS3 hit me up.

PSN - shrapnade

Necrotrophic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Necrotrophic

anytime you block those dives he does, you get a free punish

JokerSmilez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8  Edited By JokerSmilez

That sounds like a tough match-up since Dudley really needs to be up in someone's grill to do his damage and T. Hawk can also to a bunch of damage from there, and can keep you away with his solid normals.

My advice would be to try and bait those condor dives. They're not very safe, so you should be able to punish hard on block. Make sure you got all your combos down to maximize the damage you can do when you get the chance.

Also, a quite look at the Dudley matchup thread on SRK:
     "-Don't jump in, you'll get hit with a T.Buster by a competent player.
    -Be careful of using the sweep, slow and can be 360'd out of it easily.
    - Blocked ssb can be command grabbed.
    - Machine gun blow can be command grabbed on block.
    - ducking mp, st. mp and hp seem to be the best pokes against Hawk.
    - Condor dive can be punished with U2 on block"

Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Scooper
    @The_A_Drain said:
    " Jump at him. "
    T.Hawk's U2 is anti-air and does a huge amount of damage. His EX spike move is also good anti-air and if he hits you with it he can get you with a followup EX dive. Don't jump at T.Hawk.
    The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By The_A_Drain
    @Scooper said:

" @The_A_Drain said:

" Jump at him. "

T.Hawk's U2 is anti-air and does a huge amount of damage. His EX spike move is also good anti-air and if he hits you with it he can get you with a followup EX dive. Don't jump at T.Hawk. "
    No. Do jump at T.Hawk if he likes to dive spam and you have an air throw.  

Edit: Having just been forced to play as T.Hawk a few times in random, Akuma's air fireballs work a treat however you need to space them out properly otherwise a well timed dive and Hawk is right back in throw range again. Mix it with some ground fireballs and other stuff. I'll say it anyway although it shouldn't need to be said, there is no one way to beat a character, you have to mix things up. Being predictable is the best way to lose horribly. As I just showed that poncy little Akuma player :) Several times. 

Goddamit i'm away for 6 months and the text editor is still fucking broken?! I can't un-italics this :\
    Illmatic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Illmatic

I once watched my brother sit in an endless match lobby with a T. Hawk dive spammer with a win streak in the double digits. When a competent player came in and shut him down he promptly left the lobby. It was either out of anger or because he was "finished." I'd like to think it was out of anger. Makes me feel better in a revenge sort of way. The shoryuken threads are definitely a good place to go. I look at the pages for characters I have trouble beating to see if any weaknesses can be discovered in their moves other than the obvious (i.e. uppercut a jumping bean).

Heylook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Heylook

I've had a few fights with Ibuki Vs. T.Hawk and they where rather close. What I found to do best was basically just to punish him with everything I could. Block those dives or you can try focusing through them (just watch your timing or you can get huuuurt). You can also punish his little dash forward ability but be careful as this can enable T.Hawk to get right up in your grill and grab your ass just like that.

Also, 
    @Scooper said:

" @The_A_Drain said:

" Jump at him. "
    T.Hawk's U2 is anti-air and does a huge amount of damage. His EX spike move is also good anti-air and if he hits you with it he can get you with a followup EX dive. Don't jump at T.Hawk. "
    Don't jump if he/she is using Ultra 2. I learned of this the hard way.
    CharlieTuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By CharlieTuna

Juri/Gouken (up fireballs) can shut him down, at least concerning condor. On block someone like Rufus can sometimes punish it with his crouch fierce punch.

The man is a beast though, seriously. Move over Geif.

Gambit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Gambit

The Dudley T Hawk match is one of patience get damage in with pokes while buffering MGB motions and when you pressuring up close standing Lk, MK,MP,HP is a good chain to use when he is blocking. Since he can't command grab you during or after it. I like to use Ultra 1 you can punish a blocked condor dive with it also and it does more damage. And trying to pressure on wake is normally a bad idea as most will just do a command grab on wake up.

Avatar image for lilbigsupermario
    lilbigsupermario

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By lilbigsupermario

T.Hawk is an annoying opponent.  He has a fairly far reach for his normal attacks, his grabs deal a lot of damage, his condor dive is a pain, he has an anti-air attack, the EX version of his anti-air can have a follow-up condor dive and he's just a really badass character.  But I think the typical weakness for him is that opening when the condor dive is blocked, you can get a big opening to do damage on him when you block the condor dive.  And since he is quite slow anyway, just press him.  If you get to sweep him, throw a projectile first that will force him to block and immediately jump over him to pressure him and let him get confused with what moves to do.  If you get too near him when he's down, most of the time players will attempt a wake up typhoon grab, so jump vertically and hit him with anything hehe! :)

DirrtyNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By DirrtyNinja
    T wank is a hateful character.
    Stang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#17  Edited By Stang

Pick Akuma. Block condor dive or whatever the hell it is called. Demon his ass. Taunt. Disconnect.

Avatar image for lilbigsupermario
    lilbigsupermario

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By lilbigsupermario

I guess one way you can find a way is to learn and use T.Hawk online.  Then watch how your opponents will try to beat you and use your research knowledge from the matches for your own tactics against T.Hawk. :)

Luke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 7

#19  Edited By Luke

Here's my take. 

T.Hawk has a lot of crap that sucks about him too, which the player who's using him has to deal with.  Angled fireballs are a bitch for him.  His Condor Dive is easily punished by about 1/3 of the cast.  His dash sucks (but this is what Condor Spire is for).  His SRK (Mexican Dragon Punch) has no where near the invincibility or priority as all the others. 

Don't stand next to him unless you can play mind games, by getting next to him on wake-up but jumping right when he command grabs. 

Know his range.  His Super and Ultra Command Grabs have disgusting range!  Don't do a messily 3 hit block string and expect to be out of his range when you're done.  Some T.Hawks will mash that 720 during the string or heck, even during when they're being poked without even blocking at all.  If you don't finish those pokes with a real combo, you're screwed. 

Don't play too conservatively either.  If your always trying to getting yourself at the back of the screen, away from him, a smart T.Hawk can just keep doing light-Condor-Spires to build meter, increasing his range and combo potential (what little he has anyway).  Most all his "combos" require EX.  In fact, he can string 3 EX moves together, back-to-back, to make an easy combo that murders... but I prefer to just save all 4 bars for that Super Typhoon personally :) 

One thing to watch-out for if you're a tad less than mid-range is that he has invincibility frames if his crouching-Roundhouse connects (counters) when you're tossing-out a projectile, making it pass through him.  Playing as T.Hawk, I've done this to Shotos a countless amount of times. 

Lastly, Gouken and Blanka utterly destroy T.Hawk. 

Thrawn1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Thrawn1

Don't jump at T Hawk. In fact don't jump at any character unless they've been knocked down and it's a safe jump. That's pretty much the #1 rule of street fighter. As far as the dudley vs hawk matchup you're pretty much fucked, because hawk needs to be zoned and dudley has 0 zoning tools. His goal will be to slowly make his way across the screen, beating all your pokes with his amazing pokes, dp-ing your jump ins, and just blocking a lot. So whatever you can do to not get put in the corner is a good thing.

demontium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#21  Edited By demontium
    @Thrawn said:
    " Don't jump at T Hawk. In fact don't jump at any character unless they've been knocked down and it's a safe jump. That's pretty much the #1 rule of street fighter. As far as the dudley vs hawk matchup you're pretty much fucked, because hawk needs to be zoned and dudley has 0 zoning tools. His goal will be to slowly make his way across the screen, beating all your pokes with his amazing pokes, dp-ing your jump ins, and just blocking a lot. So whatever you can do to not get put in the corner is a good thing. "
    lol. 

well, guess you gotta alt gouken or juri for this matchup.
    ImperiousRix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

#22  Edited By ImperiousRix

The few times (and I mean few) I've beat decent T. Hawks were times I was able to play keep away, and just as he was being lulled into a predictable pattern, I pulled off damage that lead to a knockdown, and immediately went back to playing keep away.  I felt extremely stupid, and I'm sure I was pissing him off, but I'd get the win. 
    Basically, it's about not getting nailed by his dives, and not staying too close to him for longer than you need to be.

MarceloAbans

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By MarceloAbans
    @JokerSmilez said:
    " That sounds like a tough match-up since Dudley really needs to be up in someone's grill to do his damage and T. Hawk can also to a bunch of damage from there, and can keep you away with his solid normals.  My advice would be to try and bait those condor dives. They're not very safe, so you should be able to punish hard on block. Make sure you got all your combos down to maximize the damage you can do when you get the chance.  Also, a quite look at the Dudley matchup thread on SRK:  "-Don't jump in, you'll get hit with a T.Buster by a competent player. -Be careful of using the sweep, slow and can be 360'd out of it easily. - Blocked ssb can be command grabbed. - Machine gun blow can be command grabbed on block. - ducking mp, st. mp and hp seem to be the best pokes against Hawk. - Condor dive can be punished with U2 on block" "
    QFT. T hawk is a slight better version of Gief.. What sucks is when somoene uses him as a poking character.. ugh..
    MarceloAbans

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By MarceloAbans
    @JokerSmilez said:

" That sounds like a tough match-up since Dudley really needs to be up in someone's grill to do his damage and T. Hawk can also to a bunch of damage from there, and can keep you away with his solid normals.  My advice would be to try and bait those condor dives. They're not very safe, so you should be able to punish hard on block. Make sure you got all your combos down to maximize the damage you can do when you get the chance.  Also, a quite look at the Dudley matchup thread on SRK:  "-Don't jump in, you'll get hit with a T.Buster by a competent player. -Be careful of using the sweep, slow and can be 360'd out of it easily. - Blocked ssb can be command grabbed. - Machine gun blow can be command grabbed on block. - ducking mp, st. mp and hp seem to be the best pokes against Hawk. - Condor dive can be punished with U2 on block" "

QFT. T hawk is a slight better version of Gief.. What sucks is when somoene uses him as a poking character.. ugh..
    napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By napalm
    @MarceloAbans: You made such a contribution by bumping a two week old topic. Thanks!
    Jemenez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Jemenez
    @StaticFalconar said:
    " @The_A_Drain said:

@Shadow: Both of those guys are new characters (yes they came from older SF games, but they never play exactly alike as their older game counterparts), so the best thing you can do is to just play someone who uses THAWK and play him and lose a lot until you find a way around his BS. If you're on PSN, hit me up (same as GB SN), I'm dabbling in both characters at the moment and this seems like an interesting puzzle to solve.  "
    First of all.

Both to no.. HIS DP is bad

But his donkey kick is a great antiair
    napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By napalm

I figured, I'd contribute. Uh, downback this match and anti ait his stupid Condor Dive on block. Also, try to be in footsie range because he has a command grab. Apparently these Thunderhawk scrubs like to buff it when you're mid combo and mash it so it automatically connects if you have a slightly weak link.

gosukiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By gosukiller
    @Napalm said:
    " I figured, I'd contribute. Uh, downback this match and anti ait his stupid Condor Dive on block. Also, try to be in footsie range because he has a command grab. Apparently these Thunderhawk scrubs like to buff it when you're mid combo and mash it so it automatically connects if you have a slightly weak link. "
    QFT. As a T. Hawk player I always take advantage of people who don't throw out a combo that puts me out of range. When you play against a T.Hawk you need to either stay out of range at all times or use combos that knock him back/down.
    napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By napalm
    @gosukiller said:
    " @Napalm said:
    " I figured, I'd contribute. Uh, downback this match and anti ait his stupid Condor Dive on block. Also, try to be in footsie range because he has a command grab. Apparently these Thunderhawk scrubs like to buff it when you're mid combo and mash it so it automatically connects if you have a slightly weak link. "
    QFT. As a T. Hawk player I always take advantage of people who don't throw out a combo that puts me out of range. When you play against a T.Hawk you need to either stay out of range at all times or use combos that knock him back/down. "
    Sorry. I meant "stay out of footsie range". And, I hope you don't mash his command grab when you're in a blockstring.
    ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#30  Edited By ArbitraryWater

As someone who plays T. Hawk, the big guy is pretty vulnerable to pokes and (no duh) projectiles.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.