Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Super Street Fighter IV

Game » consists of 28 releases. Released Feb 26, 2010

Super Street Fighter IV is a standalone update to its predecessor, adding new characters, modes, and online features.

How is SSF4 on noobs?

Masonvd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By Masonvd

Is the online match making good at pairing noobs together? Good tutorials or anything? I'm usually shit at fighters and want to try to get past the button mashy stage. This one looks pretty good. Thoughts?

meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By meteora

At the moment its fucked up; because all of the people from SFIV are just beginning to pick up the game. But I'm going to assume that in a week or so things will settle down.

I've just been getting my ass royally handed to me every time.

Judoka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3  Edited By Judoka

When playing online no good fighting game is noob friendly.  You just have to work at getting better.  Play the game and if your mashing then go to training mode and do the specials over and over again until you do them without thinking.  When you do the moves use smooth motion and deliberate button pressing.  Play arcade mode and try out your timing.  The game does search for players of same skill but, Street Fighter has such a deep and older fan base that you may still fight a good player.

JerkFace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By JerkFace

It'll be best to hook up with a bunch of other new players, to kind of 'learn together' to help build your skills.

There's a few recent threads, with a bunch of people in that range.  Feel free to add me, too, if you get it: Gamertag -  xJERKFACEx

That's if you have a 360, of course.

Shasam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By Shasam

Hopefully the matchmaking will work out so that it does match you with similarly skilled players, but that's not going to happen until all the veterans have jumped in and floated to the top. So I might wait a bit before trying too hard online. Also, the game can teach you the moves, but the internet is a much better source for figuring out how to use them, so look around.

Berezov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Berezov

Just pick Ken and you're good to go.

LiquidSwords

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By LiquidSwords

I'm losing more than winning. It does get a bit frustrating but I hope things simmer down a bit.

rjayb89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#8  Edited By rjayb89

Don't pick random because the other person will assume you're awesome and pick Ryu.  Oddly enough, I ended up being Ryu as well.  Still got my ass beat.

fugie7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By fugie7

its been ok losing more then i am winning, but  if i play a lot more i should get better. i hope.

Skogen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Skogen

The biggest misconception with new players and S/SFIV is they think the tutorial mode is going to teach them how to play. That is not the case. It will teach you the basic moves, but everything else is situational.

Basically it takes a while to fully understand the game. To get good, it takes years.

Avatar image for keystone_yinzer
    Keystone_Yinzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Keystone_Yinzer

Here are my tips for those starting out:

1. Practice, Practice, practice - The only way to get better is to practice your moves and fight people. Try out  a few characters (like one of each type a charge character etc.), find one that you think is cool and enjoy and then stick with them for awhile. That is the only way you are going to get good is by sticking with one and learning them.

2. Don't get discouraged - A lot of people have been playing Street Fighter games for years and are going to be better than you. You will lose games and most likely lose more than win at first, don't sweat it. Just keep on trucking and learning.

3. Go through trial mode. - After the first 10 or so phases, the trials start showing off moves that combo well together. Even if you can't pull them off against the guarding computer Dan, it is still worth going through and just seeing what moves work well together. 

4. Watch replays - The replay channels in game are okay, but hard to find stuff. However if you do, you can watch them with the input indicators on meaning you can see what command someone is exactly using to pull off the sweet combo you just saw. You tube is a good source in finding videos of skilled players doing their thing.  Find someone using your guy and check out what the "pros" are doing with them.

5. Have fun - Don't miss this step. Don't get wrapped up in tier rankings and timing breakdowns unless you really, really want to. Getting frustrated? Take a break or go to arcade mode or training and practice your stuff against the CPU. Take a deep breath and then dive back in. Once you get over that first big hump when learning the character, you will have a lot more fun. Sure you will still lose matches, but you will also be winning more and more.

Coltaine22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Coltaine22

Game is not good for noobs. Ive played Street Fighter for years but play it very casually. Im not good but im not terrible and I have trouble winning. The ranking system might get better, but right now its a crapshoot. Super Street Fighter is more hardcore than 4 because only mostly dedicated players picked this one up. Also most people play in in endless battle which is cool because you get to see good fights, but a really good player is usually dominating the room. I would recommend picking this game up because its one of the best fighting games ever made, just don't expect to win online anytime soon.

Stang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Stang
    @Berezov said:
    " Just pick Ken and you're good to go. "
    You are what is wrong with the SF community. Please leave.
    m1k3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14  Edited By m1k3

lol i suck and im not really a noob. But then again i didn't play SF4 for more than a month since it was released since i kept getting owned online. But i decided that with SSF4 i should try to get better and at least learn something. 
    Loosing can only help you get better. Playing someone slightly better than you (not elite, cuz you wont learn a thing from these matches) will help you understand what to do and what not to do. You kinda have to commit yourself to study it though. Which is a good thing they made it so that fight replays are automatically saved. 

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By JJOR64
    @Stang said:
    " @Berezov said:
    " Just pick Ken and you're good to go. "
    You are what is wrong with the SF community. Please leave. "
    I agree.
    Avatar image for randominternetuser
    RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Maybe all the good people will move on to SSFIV so that I can have some fun playing SFIV without having to play locally, heh.

Berezov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Berezov
    @JJOR64:  

No no I don't play as Ken I'm saying that's what everyone else does, I like to play Zangief and I'd like to try and learn Juri when the damn game arrives.
    Lost_Remnant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Lost_Remnant

It's luck of the draw. Sometimes I get beaten by pure cheapness (but I should learn how to counter act it with Cody. A distance game seems to work for that but I get extremely impatient) or just straight up crumpled up like an old one dollar bill by people who rapeface. Especially when I use Dudley, it's the equivalent of a bigger, stronger dude putting his hand out on my forehead and me running at him flailing my arms like a spaz. Despite my short comings with Dudley I still am determined to keep it classy. Because sometimes I just wanna take a break from Cody who I am clearly better at. But knowing at least 2 or 3 characters really well as opposed to just one appeals to me more. I'll lose so much more but it's more fun for me.

The point of my rambling: You'll never know what you'll get for now. Looks can be deceiving. I just try not to underestimate anyone and just hope for the best.

Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#19  Edited By Fallen189

The challenge mode is pretty fucking terrible. It shows the move name, but not the actual combination. So when you get further in, it's impossible to remember if you're a new player.

I'm having an easy time doing well, but an impossible time FINISHING a match. I just panic.

Lost_Remnant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Lost_Remnant
    @Fallen189 said:
    " The challenge mode is pretty fucking terrible. It shows the move name, but not the actual combination. So when you get further in, it's impossible to remember if you're a new player.  I'm having an easy time doing well, but an impossible time FINISHING a match. I just panic. "
    "Oh god we both very little health left and we're both tied this is it! WHAT DO I DO!?" *spams the Machinegun Blow more then I should in a panic."

Story of my fucking life. Panic is my bane.
    Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Fallen189
    @Lost_Remnant said:
    " @Fallen189 said:
    " The challenge mode is pretty fucking terrible. It shows the move name, but not the actual combination. So when you get further in, it's impossible to remember if you're a new player.  I'm having an easy time doing well, but an impossible time FINISHING a match. I just panic. "
    "Oh god we both very little health left and we're both tied this is it! WHAT DO I DO!?" *spams the Machinegun Blow more then I should in a panic."  Story of my fucking life. Panic is my bane. "
    JESUS HES GOT ONE PIXEL LEFT JUMP JUMP FIREBALL AHHHH
    frootsnax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By frootsnax
    @Fallen189 said:
    " @Lost_Remnant said:
    " @Fallen189 said:
    "Oh god we both very little health left and we're both tied this is it! WHAT DO I DO!?" *spams the Machinegun Blow more then I should in a panic."  Story of my fucking life. Panic is my bane. "
    JESUS HES GOT ONE PIXEL LEFT JUMP JUMP FIREBALL AHHHH "
    FOR F*CKS SAKE, I CAN'T EVEN SEE HIS HEALTH BAR JUST DO MY ULTRA!! WHY ARE YOU JUMPING NOOOOO!!!
    Lost_Remnant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Lost_Remnant
    @Frootsnax said:
    " @Fallen189 said:
    " @Lost_Remnant said:
    " @Fallen189 said:
    FOR F*CKS SAKE, I CAN'T EVEN SEE HIS HEALTH BAR JUST DO MY ULTRA!! WHY ARE YOU JUMPING NOOOOO!!! "
    THAT'S THE FIFTH TIME TONIGHT. FUCK. THIS. GAME. *Storms off pre-school style only to return in half an hour.* I think we should get a support group for the panic stricken among us.
    jaredog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By jaredog

I'm currently 0-13 in online matches.  I've won one round.  I'm still having a blast (playing as Akuma), though I wish I could fight somebody other than Ken.  :)

JokerSmilez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By JokerSmilez
    @Coltaine22 said:
    " Game is not good for noobs. Ive played Street Fighter for years but play it very casually. Im not good but im not terrible and I have trouble winning. The ranking system might get better, but right now its a crapshoot. Super Street Fighter is more hardcore than 4 because only mostly dedicated players picked this one up. Also most people play in in endless battle which is cool because you get to see good fights, but a really good player is usually dominating the room. I would recommend picking this game up because its one of the best fighting games ever made, just don't expect to win online anytime soon. "
    I completely disagree with this.

I think a TON of new people picked up SSIV. Just look at all the threads about people saying they're a beginner. I think even more beginners picked this up than vanilla 4 because that came out before the big fighting game explosion, so the hardcore people picked that up but by the time new people realized they wanted to give it a try, it was too late and they were too intimidated by all the pros. With the discount pricing and the new characters and rebalances, more new people are playing SF than in a long time.

It will take a little bit of time for the matchmaking system to sort out who's actually new and who just doesn't have a record yet because they just got Super but are still really good. I've found playing custom ranked matches and setting it to match me with people of the same skill has worked out rather well. I'm winning a little over 50% of my matches, which is right where it should be. Every now and then I run into someone clearly better than me (and a few who I'm clearly better than), but in a couple weeks, it should be perfect. After all, the hardcore people who are scary good will be a playing a lot more than the new people, so they'll rise out of the lower ranks very quickly.

if you're interested in playing fighting games, now is the best time in years to be getting into it. There will be a ton of new people to play with, even just from the Giant Bomb community alone so don't be intimidated.
    MMkain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By MMkain

Depends if you want to learn real street fighter or you are fine limiting yourself to jp.rh > cr.rh and mashing out srks. Learning to play Street Fighter - or any fighting games for that matter - takes the same commitment as learning to play an instrument. It will take a lot of practice before you begin to notice the results, especially if you are new to 2d fighters. You will only be as good as the time you put in practicing, so putting hours each day into training mode sounds like a drag then SF may not be for you. Although, I do know many players who at one point dreaded having to train but now find it almost as addicting as playing the actual game.

Avatar image for keystone_yinzer
    Keystone_Yinzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Keystone_Yinzer
    @JokerSmilez: It is one of the best fighting games every made. And it is actually in awesome time to pick it up because it seems like :

a. A lot of people are picking this up who might have missed out the first time around (like me who is a now converted Tekken fanboy)

b.  A lot of people are playing with and learning one of the 10 new characters in this installment. This means that there is an overflow of people who don't really know what their characters that well. So, get out there. Get beaten up and beat down those in return.

Basically don't get intimidated by "pros" or those better than you. Worst case scenario. Ask someone in the community to play you 1 on 1. That way you can have someone teach you what's what and you can both have fun trying things out.
    Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Fallen189

25 matches and 1 win. Lots of Codys and Bisons so far, and a fair few Ryu's. I need to learn timing and how to chain things. I'm terrible, but I can't pick a character, they're all neat.

lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#29  Edited By lordofultima

There are plenty of beginners you can play, you just have to search them out yourself. On these boards for instance, tons of new people itching to play and have some even competition. Don't be afraid to reach out and make a friend or two here.

MVP1101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By MVP1101

Out of  50 matches i have won about 5 or 6. The game makes you work for everything. The challenge mode is ok but the real way to get better is just fighting people. The replays help a lot just because you can break down what works and what doesn't , and ( I assume) if you find some good replays of your main it could help you see new ways to use moves and better handle certain fighters and situations ( I say "I assume" because I can't find any good Makoto replays). The hardest thing to do in this game  for me is winning the the 2nd (or 3rd ) round or winning in a close round. I need to be able to trust myself to pull off the moves i want to do and i know i am not there yet.   Ken, Sakura and Dudley are the people i have real trouble with. 

I hope this help.          

profbobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By profbobo

I love SF IV but was totally destroyed playing online, so I stopped. I want SSF IV but feel like it won't be worth my cash, since I don't play online much, sadly.

yates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By yates
    @Fallen189 said:
    In SFIV you could change it to show the inputs and not just the move names on the in-game screen, for some reason they've changed it so you have to press select if you want to see the inputs. So dumb.
    MushroomSamba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#33  Edited By MushroomSamba
    @Fallen189 said:
    " 25 matches and 1 win. Lots of Codys and Bisons so far, and a fair few Ryu's. I need to learn timing and how to chain things. I'm terrible, but I can't pick a character, they're all neat. "
    I'm about 40 matches in...haven't seen a SINGLE Bison yet (except for mine). I still see a fair share of Ryus...but oddly enough, maybe only one or two Sagats at this point. 

As for the whole "noob-friendly" thing, I consider myself a pretty horrible Cody and semi-below average Bison, and I guess I'm winning about 40% atm. So yeah, if you can't take losing, maybe you should hold off a bit till the point-rankings spread out and the leets make their way to the top.
    Avatar image for lilbigsupermario
    lilbigsupermario

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By lilbigsupermario

I've been playing SF4 online even before SSF4 and I've been playing other Street Fighter games before and online with SSF4, I still have a 48% win-loss ratio (more losses) hehehe!  I'm not a hardcore player and I do lose a lot online, but you just have to be patient and try not to get frustrated when you lose.  Practice & learn from your losses.  Eventually, you'll get satisfying wins.  And just enjoy the game and have fun with it, win or lose it's the game we choose. ;)

Avatar image for lilbigsupermario
    lilbigsupermario

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By lilbigsupermario
    @Lost_Remnant said:
    " @Frootsnax said:
    " @Fallen189 said:
    " @Lost_Remnant said:
    " @Fallen189 said:
    FOR F*CKS SAKE, I CAN'T EVEN SEE HIS HEALTH BAR JUST DO MY ULTRA!! WHY ARE YOU JUMPING NOOOOO!!! "
    THAT'S THE FIFTH TIME TONIGHT. FUCK. THIS. GAME. *Storms off pre-school style only to return in half an hour.* I think we should get a support group for the panic stricken among us. "
    I'M ABOUT TO WIN! EX HADOKEN! EX HADOOOOKEEEEN! 

*Ryu throws a fierce punch instead and gets owned with an Ultra* 

MOTHERF*CKING CONTROLLER!!! @$%#!!!!! 

I think I have anger issues hehehe!
    Avatar image for deactivated-5e4c09d3ba1b3
    deactivated-5e4c09d3ba1b3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

This whole quote tree above me is hitting far too close to home.

Dal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Dal
    @Keystone_Yinzer said:
    " Here are my tips for those starting out:  1. Practice, Practice, practice - The only way to get better is to practice your moves and fight people. Try out  a few characters (like one of each type a charge character etc.), find one that you think is cool and enjoy and then stick with them for awhile. That is the only way you are going to get good is by sticking with one and learning them.  2. Don't get discouraged - A lot of people have been playing Street Fighter games for years and are going to be better than you. You will lose games and most likely lose more than win at first, don't sweat it. Just keep on trucking and learning.  3. Go through trial mode. - After the first 10 or so phases, the trials start showing off moves that combo well together. Even if you can't pull them off against the guarding computer Dan, it is still worth going through and just seeing what moves work well together.  4. Watch replays - The replay channels in game are okay, but hard to find stuff. However if you do, you can watch them with the input indicators on meaning you can see what command someone is exactly using to pull off the sweet combo you just saw. You tube is a good source in finding videos of skilled players doing their thing.  Find someone using your guy and check out what the "pros" are doing with them.5. Have fun - Don't miss this step. Don't get wrapped up in tier rankings and timing breakdowns unless you really, really want to. Getting frustrated? Take a break or go to arcade mode or training and practice your stuff against the CPU. Take a deep breath and then dive back in. Once you get over that first big hump when learning the character, you will have a lot more fun. Sure you will still lose matches, but you will also be winning more and more. "
    I double that! Pretty much all the advice i would give as well. well said m8!

-Dal
    Illmatic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Illmatic

Yeah, for the moment the numbers don't really tell you anything about the player's true skill since they could have put in hours into sf4 and are technically starting over ranking wise in Super. I've ended up versing people with scores thousands higher than me. I've had cases where I simply stand there just so the embarrassing loss comes faster.

Belonpopo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#40  Edited By Belonpopo
    @Darktoad450: Be like me and wait two or three weeks before consistent online play.
    Avatar image for deactivated-57beb9d651361
    deactivated-57beb9d651361

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Fallen189: Press select.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.