Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Super Street Fighter IV

Game » consists of 28 releases. Released Feb 26, 2010

Super Street Fighter IV is a standalone update to its predecessor, adding new characters, modes, and online features.

Any other new players jumping on the bandwagon?

• 68 results
    aceedkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By aceedkins

I was curious if there are many others out there that are just now getting into SFIV with the release of super. If so, it'd be cool to play with some new players like myself. My gamertag is:  I ACE 1991 I 

EDIT: Oops, move this thread to the Super Street Fighter IV forum.

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By TwoOneFive

i skipped four.  

i will buy marvel vs capcom though. because thats actually cool to me. 

masternater27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By masternater27

I might, if I can get my shit together

tunaburn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By tunaburn

i played SF4 a little but traded it in. but i will be getting SSIV and will practically be brand new to it. 

xbox 360 gamertag :  thetunaburn

aceedkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By aceedkins

Alright tunaburn, I'll add you.

Aishan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By Aishan

I never played IV, but I am picking up Super this week, mainly because it's cheap. 

I'm quite sure I'll be getting my arse kicked repeatedly over XBL for a while.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#7  Edited By Yummylee

Maaybe, though I'm not willing to pay towards a decent fight stick. Playing with a controller still doesn't put me at much of a handicap or anything though, right?

aceedkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By aceedkins
    @Aishan said:
    " I never played IV, but I am picking up Super this week, mainly because it's cheap.  I'm quite sure I'll be getting my arse kicked repeatedly over XBL for a while. "
    What's your gamertag? 
    Skytylz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By Skytylz

I suck you can add me; my gamertag is Skytylz.

Aishan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Aishan
    @aceedkins: Aishan, same as my username. 
    cap123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By cap123

me but i won't be able to afford it on release :( will get it eventually though

Avatar image for deactivated-57beb9d651361
    deactivated-57beb9d651361

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@Abyssfull: Not at all, dude. You won't be able to pull of some very character specific stuff, but most of that wouldn't appeal to you until you have a much better grasp of the game. I used a pad for the better part of a year and felt fine with it. 

Couldn't go back now, though.
    napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By napalm

Super IV is a lot less noob friendly than IV was. A lot of the gameplay adjustments came from balance the spammed attacks that a lot of lower and mid level players took advantage of. Don't jump into Super IV thinking you can just Shoryuken-mash your way to the top, or Tiger Shot spam all day without repercussions, because a lot of the characters have the tools to get around and punish that sort of wankery in Super IV. Everybody is hella more offensive and viable to shutting bullshit down. I'm glad this is one thing they saw that was problematic in IV.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Napalm: Do you know if reversal windows are any tighter? There was mention of it before, but the issue has kind of been skirted over from all that I can muster.
    napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By napalm
    @GetEveryone said:

" @Napalm: Do you know if reversal windows are any tighter? There was mention of it before, but the issue has kind of been skirted over from all that I can muster. "

I believe they have tightened them, but they also focused on things such as adding a few more start up frames to srks, lowered their damage, and took away some of their priority. Srks were stupidly overpowered in IV, both in start up and mashable ability. I have no doubt some of these tactics will be abused, but I think it will either be less frequent, or at least way more likely to get punished online.
    JokerSmilez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By JokerSmilez

I picked up SFIV a couple weeks ago because it was only $20 at Best Buy and I'm going to be getting SSFIV. I'm not very good and haven't been able to play or practice with vanilla SFIV nearly as much I wanted, but I'll be looking for some games soon.

Gamertag: J0KER SMILEZ (with a zero, not an 'o')

lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#17  Edited By lordofultima
    @Napalm: Has it been confirmed that uppercuts have more start-up frames? I don't believe so, no one has seen the frame data yet.  I'm pretty sure uppercuts will be just as mashable, and the reversal window will be similar. As for projectiles, people can still throw them, it's not like they slowed down the tiger shot...in fact, they sped up the charge time of sonic booms, so spam away.
    napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By napalm
    @lordofultima: I've heard it mentioned a few times at SRK. It's been awhile since I heard it specifically, either that, or in a developer interview mentioning something about changing the start up on srks.
    Swaboo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Swaboo

I heard they tightened up the graphics a little bit.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Napalm: I know about the SRK damage nerfs and priority changes (they are more likely to get stuffed/trade, right?), but I hadn't heard any of the framerate discussion. Either way, its pretty cool. I'm not massively keen on throwing out a cr.short and eating a random srk because of it; or meaties being essentially useless on characters with strong reversals. So if they do turn out to be tighter...yay!
    ScubaStoobie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By ScubaStoobie
    @Aishan said:
    " I never played IV, but I am picking up Super this week, mainly because it's cheap.  I'm quite sure I'll be getting my arse kicked repeatedly over XBL for a while. "
    I'm in the same exact boat as you buddy. I look forward to possibly seeing you online.
    End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By End_Boss

No new jack here, but I am jumping back on the bandwagon, as long ago I lost my copy of SFIV.

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By napalm
    @GetEveryone said:
    " @Napalm: I know about the SRK damage nerfs and priority changes (they are more likely to get stuffed/trade, right?), but I hadn't heard any of the framerate discussion. Either way, its pretty cool. I'm not massively keen on throwing out a cr.short and eating a random srk because of it; or meaties being essentially useless on characters with strong reversals. So if they do turn out to be tighter...yay! "
    I'm pretty sure they mentioned a few more startup frames. I hope it's true, because there is nothing more frustrated than blocking a light srk a couple steps away just for them to mash another one out when I go to throw them.
    mwng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By mwng

Bought SFIV a little over a month ago and never really tried it online for fear of being destroyed by people who have been playing it since release. But I suppose I'll have to offer myself up for a kicking at some point, so might as well start with SSFIV.

NintenDood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By NintenDood

I'm going in fresh for this game. I've only played SFIV a little bit, but I sucked so bad. I'm getting SSFIV + a fightstick for 360, and if you wanna add me, my GT is NintenDood =)

lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#26  Edited By lordofultima
    @GetEveryone said:
    " @Napalm: I know about the SRK damage nerfs and priority changes (they are more likely to get stuffed/trade, right?), but I hadn't heard any of the framerate discussion. Either way, its pretty cool. I'm not massively keen on throwing out a cr.short and eating a random srk because of it; or meaties being essentially useless on characters with strong reversals. So if they do turn out to be tighter...yay! "
    It's really weird, because what is now considered random thanks to Street Fighter IV, used to be what the entire game was based on (psychic shoryuken). Have you ever watched videos of Super Turbo being played? It's a bunch of psychic DP's hitting limbs that haven't even animated fully. But in SFIV, people think it's scrubby and that you shouldn't do a "random" uppercut without the meter to cancel it. Just pointing that out, pretty weird that people do Ultras on reaction to something, and it's considered random. 

I know that's not what you're talking about, you were more along the lines of mashing reversals. Which is pretty dumb, but whatevs.
    sfighter21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#27  Edited By sfighter21

Didn't they give Ken's FP SRK some extra start up frame invincibility??

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#28  Edited By JJOR64

If anyone here wants to play my fight sumo friend, my Gamertag is JJOR64.

demontium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#29  Edited By demontium

To all you new duders, go check out  @lordofultima: 's  topic when you get the game. 

It has Q and A and a guide.

Iceman2913

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Iceman2913

don't worry about  using Ryu or Ken

Pessh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#31  Edited By Pessh
    @Abyssfull: The best PS3 player on GB is a pad warrior
    Liam_mk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Liam_mk

I'm jumping in completely new. Gonna Dragon Punch my way to the top...as soon as I figure out what a dragon punch is.

Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Jeffsekai
    @lordofultima said:
    " @GetEveryone said:
    It's really weird, because what is now considered random thanks to Street Fighter IV, used to be what the entire game was based on (psychic shoryuken). Have you ever watched videos of Super Turbo being played? It's a bunch of psychic DP's hitting limbs that haven't even animated fully. But in SFIV, people think it's scrubby and that you shouldn't do a "random" uppercut without the meter to cancel it. Just pointing that out, pretty weird that people do Ultras on reaction to something, and it's considered random.  I know that's not what you're talking about, you were more along the lines of mashing reversals. Which is pretty dumb, but whatevs. "
    That's some grade A truth right there.
    Stang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Stang
    @lordofultima said:
    " @GetEveryone said:
    It's really weird, because what is now considered random thanks to Street Fighter IV, used to be what the entire game was based on (psychic shoryuken). Have you ever watched videos of Super Turbo being played? It's a bunch of psychic DP's hitting limbs that haven't even animated fully. But in SFIV, people think it's scrubby and that you shouldn't do a "random" uppercut without the meter to cancel it. Just pointing that out, pretty weird that people do Ultras on reaction to something, and it's considered random.  I know that's not what you're talking about, you were more along the lines of mashing reversals. Which is pretty dumb, but whatevs. "
    Random dp's are legit. I train people to tech kara throws at the end of block strings, then when they think they figured me out, I will do a delayed srk which always leads to counterhit full ultra. Gotta keep them guessing.
    Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#35  Edited By Yummylee
    @Pessh said:
    " @Abyssfull: The best PS3 player on GB is a pad warrior"

Really? Well that's certaintly reassuring. I suppose it'll be more difficult to master it with a pad? But ah well, long as the possibility is still there. 
    I'll probably suck for quite a while anywhoo, no matter what control method I use =P
    MVP1101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By MVP1101
    @aceedkins:  I skipped 4 but i am getting Super. I am 100% noob, Gamertag is MVP1101 (the 0 is a zero).  
    Zombieheadbutt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Zombieheadbutt
    I fell into the hype of SFIV.  I got the CE and a fightstick on day one and I hadn't seriously played a fighting game since SFII and even then I was a scrub.  So if you want to play someone who is only decent with M. Bison (Dictator) and can't cancel out of a move to save his life then add me.  Think I'm going to like Juri and Guy.      

@Abyssfull
    said:

" @Pessh said:

" @Abyssfull: The best PS3 player on GB is a pad warrior"
    Really? Well that's certaintly reassuring. I suppose it'll be more difficult to master it with a pad? But ah well, long as the possibility is still there. I'll probably suck for quite a while anywhoo, no matter what control method I use =P "
    If you want to see the current thread for the Fightpad vs. controller issue then go here.
    iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By iam3green

i'm thinking about getting super street fighter 4. i never played 4 before. generally button mashers aren't my type of game.

Pox22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Pox22

I have literally never played a Street Fighter game before, and I've been looking forward to SSFIV to jump into the series.  Anyone can add me if they want (gamertag:  Pox22), but I won't be hopping online until I have a basic grasp of the game.

StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By StaticFalconar
    @iam3green said:
    "  generally button mashers aren't my type of game. "
    You just don't know
    WickedCestus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#41  Edited By WickedCestus

This will be my first Street Fighter game. The only other fighting games I own are Soulcalibur 2 and 4, and Marvel vs Capcom 2. 
    I AM PUMPED. I've already learned most of Ryu / Ken's  moves and some other miscellaneous information. Giant Bomb has taught me a lot.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

" @lordofultima said:

" @GetEveryone said:
    Random dp's are legit. I train people to tech kara throws at the end of block strings, then when they think they figured me out, I will do a delayed srk which always leads to counterhit full ultra. Gotta keep them guessing. "

Loltima: Yeah, dude, I totally see where you'e coming from. Like, versus a Dhalsim I'll try to predict yoga sniper and his full screen arms move and DP them; likewise, Zangief grabbing an outstretched limb is totally legit because it takes skill and forethought. I just meant regardless of when it is in the match, or despite conditioning them, or however much I try to mix it up, the first and last thing that they depend on is their precious invincible shoryuken.
    Stang: That's not *really* random. Like I said, mixing it up and footsies are a decent aspect of the game.
    BraveFart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By BraveFart

in my opinion it's way to soon to release a new version of Street Fighter IV.

Stang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Stang
    @GetEveryone: When you are playing higher level people, throwing out a dp in the middle of a block string is seen as pretty random, at least to me. I don't expect a Ryu to dp after a blocked cr short - cr jab string. Crouching forward xx hado of course, tick throw, perhaps....would not expect a dp though.

Of course it is done intentionally with meter to cancel, opposed to the typical "lets recklessly throw out a dp even though they are blocking" seen by the vast majority of people. That second scenario is not random, hella scrubby though!
    Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Scooper
    @Jeffsekai said:
    " @lordofultima said:
    " @GetEveryone said:
    That's some grade A truth right there. "
    This! That's what makes the older games so great in my opinion. It's so so focused on great spacing and reading your opponenent and making big risky decisions. That's still a part of the new games but I guess they had to make it apeal more to other people.

I think a good example of those unsafe psycic DPs in SFIV is the Ryu - Dhalsim match where it's almost required to throw out "random" DPs. They're not random though, the guy isn't going "oh if I DP on the other side of the screen as Dhalsim I might win!", he's trying to predict a pattern the Sim's making and catch one of his limbs to knock him down so Ryu gets time to rush down. When I played Cammy, I wasn't great with her, strickly amateur, but I realised you've got to be a little risky and gutsy to win with her, you've got to make sure your opponent doesn't want to even do a c.mk in fear of it getting him whacked. It's a big part of the game for Cammy, at least it was for me. Until people started baiting me and I bit everytime lol.
    yates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By yates

I rented SF4 fairly recently to try it out and couldn't get into it really as I joined in too late in the game. Hopefully SSF4 will attract some new players.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By iam3green
    @StaticFalconar said:
    " @iam3green said:
    "  generally button mashers aren't my type of game. "
    You just don't know "
    :O really? tell me about it.
    Avatar image for machofantastico
    MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#48  Edited By MachoFantastico

Have some experience, had great frustrated playing IV using the Xbox 360 controller. Have been thinking about getting a fight stick for Super Street Fighter 4 but hearing bad things about the Mat Catz Street Fighter 4 Standard Edition Arcade Stick. Not sure yet if I'm willing to splash out on the tourney edition. I do recommend something better then the Xbox 360 controller if your getting the 360 version, cause it fecking sucks. 

sasnipes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By sasnipes

I'm gonna jump in on the action having only minimal experience with SSFII, Third Strike, and some MvC2. Feel free to whoop my Guile and whatever other character I decide to main (probably Makato and maybe Juri). I'm not that great, but its all about the fun right? At least you'll get free wins.

BTW, I'm on PS3, ID: sasnipes. I'll be pretty busy with grad school, but I'll take time to get owned by you guys :P

Stang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Stang

Hi, my name is Stang, and I am new. I just got a TE stick made by mackcats, and I don't know how to throw fireballs! Please add me and we can learn together!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.