Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Super Street Fighter IV

Game » consists of 28 releases. Released Feb 26, 2010

Super Street Fighter IV is a standalone update to its predecessor, adding new characters, modes, and online features.

I am TRASH at this game. Please Help???

• 63 results
    huntad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 13

#1  Edited By huntad

I am getting destroyed online. I need some tips. Some general tips would be nice, but Ryu specific tips would be nice as well. 

Or, I play really defensive (or try to) by nature, so character recommendations are welcome as well.  

Oh yeah, I SUCK AT THIS GAME BTW! :(

Jack268

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Jack268

Stop jumping. Stop throwing out random special moves. Browse http://shoryuken.com/ like it's the bible. Play against players, not the AI. 

Also, expect to keep getting squashed for a long time.

yoshimitz707

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#3  Edited By yoshimitz707

Play Zangief. It's how I win all my matches despite not knowing any combos!

huntad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By huntad
    @Jack268: I was reading shoryuken, but it's still hard to pull off combos for me. I know when to punish, when to rush, and when to fall back. I just can't seem to do any effective combos, so a super from my opponent usually spells the end for me. Some of the motions are hard on this fightpad.
    huntad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By huntad
    @yoshimitz707: Isn't zangief a grappler? I don't think I could play defensive with him, lol.
    yoshimitz707

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By yoshimitz707

Pfft, who needs defense when you can lariat!

StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By StaticFalconar

If you like defense, try guile

TechHits

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#8  Edited By TechHits
    @huntad said:
    @yoshimitz707: Isn't zangief a grappler? I don't think I could play defensive with him, lol.
    you do know the difference between zoning and playing defense right? Zangief is a great defensive character, He only needs to land a few punishes to win, and he can take alot of damage.
    huntad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By huntad
    @TechHits: Defense to me is staying back. I don't want to rush in or be stuck catching fireballs. I think I just mean that I need a projectile. I do zone, but I don't like trying to get in for a grapple. I prefer to sit back and make the opponent make a mistake. I thought zoning was a type of defensive play? Sorry if I was wrong. I'm new to SF4 (SSF4)! D:
    yoshimitz707

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By yoshimitz707

Fireballs? HA! Zangief can just spin through those and take no damage!

TechHits

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By TechHits
    @huntad: so what do you do when they make a mistake?
    NinjaHunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By NinjaHunter

Just sit back and throw fireballs. Make sure you change up the speed of your fireballs, shoryu when they jump at you, poke with low forward into fireball/tatsu when they're within range. That's pretty much the basics on how to play Ryu. Doing cross ups isn't a bad idea either.

blueduck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By blueduck

Unless you're willing to put tons and tons of hours working on combos and learning match ups you might as well stop.

huntad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By huntad
    @TechHits: If they jump, I shoryuken. If they ultra or something then I will focus and then do heavy into shoryuken. I throw fireballs to see how they react and then react to whatever they do. To me, that is defensive, but I have no idea what I'm doing, so feel free to criticize my definition to the extreme.
    huntad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By huntad
    @NinjaHunter: Ohh, cross ups. Hmm. I think I can do all that. From there I just work on linking longer combos? Thanks!
    Gaff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Gaff

Look up the Ryu video guide on Crosscounter.tv. It might be a bit more in-depth than you bargained for, but there are some good pointers for beginners and intermediates in there.

TechHits

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By TechHits
    @huntad said:

@TechHits: If they jump, I shoryuken. If they ultra or something then I will focus and then do heavy into shoryuken. I throw fireballs to see how they react and then react to whatever they do. To me, that is defensive, but I have no idea what I'm doing, so feel free to criticize my definition to the extreme.

ok simple enough, now ask yourself ( and tell me while your at it) why are you losing then? 
    StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By StaticFalconar
    @huntad: Seriously think about Guile if defense is your thing.  

Not much combos here, and other then some tricks with FADC to make more moves safe, its a pure solid defense game. 
    huntad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By huntad
    @Gaff: Oh wow, I will. Thanks a lot!
    huntad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By huntad
    @TechHits: Ok, hmm. Well, my fireballs are getting punished cause I don't know where it's safe from. I can't ultra from a combo. Other than that, I'm not really sure. I guess lack of knowledge of matchups, cause some moves work on me over and over and I don't know how to punish. lol! 

@StaticFalconar: Hmmm! I think I might try him out. Ultra or super might be a little inconsistent, because I am on this fightpad, but I'll try it anyways!
    Nubstradamus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#21  Edited By Nubstradamus
    @huntad: Knowing where a move is safe and unsafe is one of the most important things you have to know. Fullscreen fireballs are okay if you're maintaining your zoning tactics with a shoryuken punish for any jump ins. Matchups aren't really a big deal, since it's all a matter of skill but knowing your strengths and weaknesses are a big help. You should definitely hit up training mode to see which moves are safe for you. It's all about learning your character. I play Guile and it took a lot of studying for me to get comfortable with him. Another few sites you should definitely check out are Eventhubs.com, Option-select.com, Crosscounter.tv and Frame-advantage.com. Frame advantage actually lets you sort videos by character and by ultra so if you're using Ryu and ultra 1 you can watch videos of players using that setup. All of these are good to study up on what you could do as well as learning matchups.
    huntad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By huntad
    @Nubstradamus: Hmm, okay, I will definitely keep practicing. Thank you for the tips. 

Also, thanks to everyone that helped me out. Hopefully I can use your advice to get at least a TINY bit better. :)
    TechHits

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By TechHits
    @huntad:  Well then looks like you already know what to do, take a step back with your fireballs, learn how to block the moves that are catching you, and just keep playing. 
    Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Scooper

Play the game a bunch. Watch streams. Read your character's forum on SRK. Try new stuff and see how it works. 

That's about it.

Necrotrophic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Necrotrophic
    Razblood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Razblood
    @NinjaHunter: Dont be afraid to mix up the strengths of your attacks, I suck at combos (Except with Sakura) but find that a few light to medium attacks can chip away at your opponents stamina and sometimes even make them mad :P at which point you punish the crap out of em :D
    Carryboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Carryboy

2 Simple tips remember the shoryuken shorcut down forward twice plus a punch, and also when zoing throw light fireballs mainly not hard fireballs.
    ShockD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By ShockD

Choose Dhalsim.

Arrow down + strong punch.

Win.

Avatar image for thehuntsmen5434
    thehuntsmen5434

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#29  Edited By thehuntsmen5434

Nothing.  If your like me, and lost 30-50 matches in a row today.  there's nothing that'll up your game, because matchmaking keeps putting people like us against 2000+ pp and bp people.  It doesn't matter if me or you have been playing fighting games since we were ten.  SFIV is just different than most fighters.  It requires strict timing to do even the simpliest of combos.  Try any other fighter, that you can do bread and butter combos without having to practice for weeks just to do Lp lk mk.

Also no amount of youtube tutorials or forum reading will help either, because like I said its about timing.  They don't show you that in videos, or reading about it.

TechHits

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By TechHits
    @thehuntsmen5434 said:
    Nothing.  If your like me, and lost 30-50 matches in a row today.  there's nothing that'll up your game, because matchmaking keeps putting people like us against 2000+ pp and bp people.  It doesn't matter if me or you have been playing fighting games since we were ten.  SFIV is just different than most fighters.  It requires strict timing to do even the simpliest of combos.  Try any other fighter, that you can do bread and butter combos without having to practice for weeks just to do Lp lk mk.  Also no amount of youtube tutorials or forum reading will help either, because like I said its about timing.  They don't show you that in videos, or reading about it.
    great advice, just give up. Cuz if it's hard, forget it. Just go do something easier instead.  
    Buttenator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 40

#31  Edited By Buttenator

@thehuntsmen5434 said:

It requires strict timing to do even the simpliest of combos.

Have you even PLAYED this game? SF4 has the lowest execution barrier of any fighting game out there except for the new Mortal Kombat.

ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 5

#32  Edited By ThePhantomnaut

@Buttenator said:

@thehuntsmen5434 said:

It requires strict timing to do even the simpliest of combos.

Have you even PLAYED this game? SF4 has the lowest execution barrier of any fighting game out there except for the new Mortal Kombat.

Yeah damn. Combos have so much frame advantage in SF4.

demontium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#33  Edited By demontium

@huntad said:

I am getting destroyed online. I need some tips. Some general tips would be nice, but Ryu specific tips would be nice as well. Or, I play really defensive (or try to) by nature, so character recommendations are welcome as well. Oh yeah, I SUCK AT THIS GAME BTW! :(

Which character do ya use (too lazy to see if you already answered this).

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By CL60
    @antikorper said:
    Choose Dhalsim.  Arrow down + strong punch.  Win.
    Yeah, that wont work against people who know how to play.(Not even know how to play, just have a general understanding of the game)
    huntad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By huntad
    @demontium: I use Ryu.  

Btw, my Ryu was dominated the other day. I think I need to learn combos, because I can outplay them, and then the match goes on so long that they figure me out by then and combo me to death. So, I think I need combos to punish properly.
    demontium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By demontium

@huntad said:

@demontium: I use Ryu. Btw, my Ryu was dominated the other day. I think I need to learn combos, because I can outplay them, and then the match goes on so long that they figure me out by then and combo me to death. So, I think I need combos to punish properly.

LITERALLY everything you need to get started: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcMVI-7cn04

Make sure to also read up on his AE changes (they are small but important).

Soulblitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#37  Edited By Soulblitz

@huntad said:

@demontium: I use Ryu. Btw, my Ryu was dominated the other day. I think I need to learn combos, because I can outplay them, and then the match goes on so long that they figure me out by then and combo me to death. So, I think I need combos to punish properly.

To start, learn a couple of basic, damaging combos to use when you know when you have an easy opportunity to punish. If someone throws out a Shoryuken and blocks it, rather than sweep or grab, know that you have an easy combo that can do twice as much damage. Also, try not to become predictable. This comes more from being able to step back and see what you're doing wrong, which requires an understanding of the game to a certain degree. Play a match, and regardless or whether you win or lose, go to the Replay Channel and watch what you did. See what works against people, see what doesn't. Point out what your weaknesses are. Do you have trouble blocking? Do you get caught out by the same stuff? If you can get the match to play out for a while and the opponent figures you out, use that to your advantage. Throw out the same stuff a few times, then change it up. The next time you do what you've been doing all along, they'll try to accommodate for that, and you can change it up and punish their attempt at attacking you.

Combos aren't even half the battle. So while it's good to have a few in your pocket, you'd be much better off focusing on better execution and having a game plan. What good is it learning a fancy combo if you can't get the opportunity to land it? Better players won't give you easy punish attempts, so it's up to you to break open their defence and work in your combos from there. Work on your spacing, work on your anti-airs, and make the most of your moves.

If you can "outplay" the opponent, what do you do? How do they "figure you out"? The closer you get to understanding the real reasons as to why you're losing, the more chance you have of fixing the weak parts of your game.

Avatar image for ownlyuzinwonhan
    OwnlyUzinWonHan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#38  Edited By OwnlyUzinWonHan
    @huntad: If you play with Demontium and I, we might be able to give you some pointers. Do you play on Xbox Live or PSN?
    kermoosh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By kermoosh

as ryu, you have to sweep the leg... im series
    use a few special moves but fiere kick the entire battle
    many people don't block crouched as much so its the perfect weak point

plus learn other characters playing styles/moves. don't play as them but know their strengths and weaknesses

Stefanten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Stefanten
    @kermoosh: This is pretty bad advice since even average players will block random sweeps and Ryu can get punished by a lot of characters for it. Not saying you should never sweep, but it's not something you can spam.
    kermoosh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By kermoosh
    @Stefanten said:
    @kermoosh: This is pretty bad advice since even average players will block random sweeps and Ryu can get punished by a lot of characters for it. Not saying you should never sweep, but it's not something you can spam.
    i completely agree with you, but when i verse all my friends, a fierce jump kick or fierce sweep just demolishes them
    Sarkhan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Sarkhan

@blueduck said:

Unless you're willing to put tons and tons of hours working on combos and learning match ups you might as well stop.

Never. NEVER take "tips" from this gentleman. What have you playe'd before? do you have some bnb down, or just a def player in general no matter what char you play?

blueduck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By blueduck
    @Vortexus1981 said:

@blueduck said:

Never. NEVER take "tips" from this gentleman. What have you playe'd before? do you have some bnb down, or just a def player in general no matter what char you play?

How is what I said wrong? Do you play Street fighter? 
    metalmoog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#44  Edited By metalmoog

I won 5 matches in a row on my first night online. Second night online I lost 6 in a row. Expect ups and downs, like anything the more you play and practice the better you will get. 10,000 hour rule. Sure losing constantly is frustrating as hell, but keep at it and don't get discouraged and eventually you will be the person killing it online, if you care to put the time in that is. Most of us don't have the time to spend on one game, we play a bit then move on. Like any online game there are always hardcores that play that game 24/7 and nothing else, they will always be on top, because frankly they deserve it based on the devotion and time spent mastering their game.

huntad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By huntad
     Wow, I did not expect so many replies to me sucking at this. Thanks a lot for the tips guys. I definitely won't give up, because I genuinely want to get better at this game.
    @Soulblitz
    : To be more specific, I know I outplay them, because I can read their movements very well, and punish them A LOT. It just falls at the end,  because they usually go all out and get a combo in that lets them get in and finish me off. I'm a good zoner, but I need some combos to make them respect me when they do get in (I think). 

@OwnlyUzinWonHan: I play on PSN.
    huntad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By huntad
    @rebgav: I've considered switching, and I've been trying out other characters. I've gotten good results with Dhalsim, and his zoning is really strong (and all he has TBH). I just use normals and then throw out some fireballs to make them react. It sounds simple, but when they get a good read...all I can do is pray, lol. 
    JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#47  Edited By JasonR86

Use More Skill!!!

Oh God if someone has already said this I'll be really bummed.

demontium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By demontium

@huntad said:

Wow, I did not expect so many replies to me sucking at this. Thanks a lot for the tips guys. I definitely won't give up, because I genuinely want to get better at this game.
    @Soulblitz
    : To be more specific, I know I outplay them, because I can read their movements very well, and punish them A LOT. It just falls at the end, because they usually go all out and get a combo in that lets them get in and finish me off. I'm a good zoner, but I need some combos to make them respect me when they do get in (I think).

Thats too bad, did ownly mention WE ARE THE BEST?

Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Jeffsekai

@demontium said:

@huntad said:

@Soulblitz
    : To be more specific, I know I outplay them, because I can read their movements very well, and punish them A LOT. It just falls at the end, because they usually go all out and get a combo in that lets them get in and finish me off. I'm a good zoner, but I need some combos to make them respect me when they do get in (I think).

Thats too bad, did ownly mention WE ARE THE BEST?

360 REPRESENT YO!

Daryl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Daryl

Stop playing terrible games.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.