Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Super Street Fighter IV

Game » consists of 28 releases. Released Feb 26, 2010

Super Street Fighter IV is a standalone update to its predecessor, adding new characters, modes, and online features.

Losing Taunt vs Winning Taunt

TheLastNeo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 9

#1  Edited By TheLastNeo

Ive always found this really curious for some reason. 

If im getting my ass raped by another player, and he happens to taunt me, I feel like shit, but honestly It just never feels right to "counter taunt" the guy, so I dont.

There's been so many times that I'll be beatin someone up, yadad yada.. and they'll randomly throw out a taunt, or occasionally whenever Im feeling cocky and I throw out a taunt, I get one of those "counter" taunts 

I know its just a game, and people are going to do what they want to do, but I just find it interesting.   Peoples need to somehow defend their pride , knowing full well that they're losing, or are gonna lose.  

I generally only taunt under 2 conditions...  If my timing is just so that every attempt at a move that my opponent makes I read, or bait , then punish.. only towards the very end of the round i'll throw one out there... 

or if the dude is a taunt spammer, and I end up destroying them.. I'll wait til the last round to throw it out there..  

Thoughts?!

Avatar image for killroycantkill
    killroycantkill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 13

#2  Edited By killroycantkill

I really feel taunts are for ass-clowns. There's really no reason for them other than bad sportsmanship. I know in 3rd strike they actually buffed your character so that was fine. But when it's just to be like "lol I'm beating you" I think it's really stupid.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By LiquidPrince

I just never taunt. I use the time it takes to taunt to close the gap and whoop the opponents ass.

Avatar image for siroptimusprime
    SirOptimusPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By SirOptimusPrime

The only time I ever taunt is with Dan.  

Solely because Legendary Taunt is the true epitome of Ultra cancel-ability.  Anyways, fighting game braggarts annoy me to no end. Pro tip to anyone with any sort of anger problems/rage - don't play Ranked Matches for more than an hour. 

AURON570

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By AURON570

I taunt to show that I give up and my opponent should hurry up and finish me already, I like to think of it as an early gg. Taunting only bothers me in the sense that I get mad at myself for sucking so much that he has the time to taunt. And yeah.. like I said I'd rather he just finish the round instead of taunting.

Avatar image for thelegendofluke
    TheLegendofLuke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By TheLegendofLuke

I try to taunt at the start of every match, it doesn't usually end well.  

If the other person is just sat at the back of the screen throwing projectiles I'll probably spam taunts as well. 

DanielJW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#7  Edited By DanielJW

I taunt when I'm getting my ass kicked. That's about it. It's more of a, "Yeah you're beating me, but I still have balls!" statement.

Heartbreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By Heartbreak

I usually throw on my guile shades or a rose when I'm about to lose.

darkvare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By darkvare

i only taunt to use the rose and stop someone i used it on an akuma yesterday then i kicked his ass and felt great

Avatar image for lilbigsupermario
    lilbigsupermario

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By lilbigsupermario

i taunt just for fun. if my opponent taunts, i taunt back but no hitting, just nonsense taunting for fun. 

i don't taunt just to be cocky about winning and beating the crap out of the opponent coz it just feels wrong to taunt against a beat up opponent.

StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By StaticFalconar

I'll taunt every now and then if I actually somewhat know the guy, IE: GB members since its not like we are strangers or something so they'll probably know I don't really mean it. I usually try to taunt as an early give up GG tactic before when I know I'm outclassed, but that usually results in them excessively taunting back but never finishing me off. The turtle power of some of these people are like over 9000. 

benpack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#12  Edited By benpack

I taunt if someone's about to perfect me.

lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13  Edited By lordofultima

who cares about taunting, I'm pretty neutral on it. If you taunt it means nothing, if you don't, it also means nothing.

Avatar image for ownlyuzinwonhan
    OwnlyUzinWonHan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

#14  Edited By OwnlyUzinWonHan

I taunt usually after I do something incredibly stupid, or at the beginning of the round as a way of saying "Good last round" or something.

234r2we232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#15  Edited By 234r2we232

Taunting is obviously the best part of the game. I mean, c'mon. Have some showmanship.

AniMoney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#16  Edited By AniMoney

I don't really care about taunting. Doesn't get me riled up. I do taunt myself sometimes though. Usually if I get a dizzy or they whiff an ultra and the next hit will kill them I'll taunt and then finish them off.

SuperBuster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By SuperBuster

I like to get my shades one during a fight just because I like guile with shades and when I get my ass whooped, at least I go down with style.

Vade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Vade

Usually I have no time to taunt so I've turned it off. Having the round look like a combo/mixup video is satisfying enough.

mrjared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#19  Edited By mrjared

The only time I ever see people taunt is online, but unfortunately, that's to be expected by online players. At sessions or tournaments the only time you see them are either on accident or if someone is reaaaaaaally getting destroyed.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#20  Edited By FluxWaveZ

I'll taunt to get someone to mess himself up.  If you get emotionally affected by a taunt, you may do some stuff that you wouldn't do normally and that's when you lose.

TheLastNeo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By TheLastNeo
    @FluxWaveZ said:
    " I'll taunt to get someone to mess himself up.  If you get emotionally affected by a taunt, you may do some stuff that you wouldn't do normally and that's when you lose. "
    I find this to be quite true, peoples blind rage usually gets the best of them...
    MarceloAbans

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By MarceloAbans

Taunts are cool if the dude is on mic talking trash and you have yours off. The only character I taunt consistently with is Dhalsim mainly because of his Yoga Tower which looks like one but serves the purpose of avoiding projectiles. His taunts usually get used when situation are appropriate. If the dude talks a lot of trash and I have it he'll respond with "You are not ready for Yoga", if he tries to rush me down and fails he may get a "Calm yourself". Sometimes I'll even use taunts as bait.. Especially with Cody who has one where he just lays down..

ShowMeister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By ShowMeister

I have been in a couple of matches where I'm already down a match and has very low health when my opponent taunts me and lost to me two rounds straight. When someone taunts, there is this obligation to win and sometimes they can make mistakes because of that.  

I never ever taunt though, unless I'm using Dan. I never quite understood why people would taunt. Most people would taunt during dizzy and hurriedly cancel it off. Its pretty lame to do that, I mean come on', if you want to taunt, let the whole taunting animation roll, and not do some lame half-assed taunt. Taunt, eat a full combo and still win the match, thats the right way to taunt and really rub it in their face.

Jack268

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Jack268

I don't taunt depending on who's winning/losing. I taunt depending on who I'm playing. Against friend I can do it jokingly, and if the opponent is a salty moron who's talking smack constantly I'll do it to. I also do it occasionaly to mess up the other guys game, but since it's not really something to count on, it's not that common.

That said, I don't do it in idiotic situations where it'll risk the match.  

Gahzoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Gahzoo

I usually taunt when the enemy is a full screen away from me holding down-back, even though I have a life lead.

Or after a Dizzy.

Necrotrophic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Necrotrophic

i taunt sometimes.

i used to like to throw a fireball that would chip the person to ko and taunt immediately when it hits. slowed down victory taunt ftw.

stupid capcom... taking out that last hit...

FalconCritical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By FalconCritical

Chun Li's yawn taunt was the best in 3rd Strike, since you could squeeze taunts in after the last hit.  Generally though I just get in trouble when I try crazy stuff like going for a taunt KO with the damaging taunts in some earlier SFs.  Even the computer punishes me for trying that.

skrutop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

User Lists: 14

#28  Edited By skrutop

One of Adon's taunts sort of looks like the starting animation for a Jaguar Tooth, so I'll use it if I can tell someone is waiting for me to try a JT.  It rarely ever works, but there are occassions where they'll throw an anti-air that I can punish.

beargirl1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

#29  Edited By beargirl1

i taunt all the time. i don't care if it's considered "unsportmanlike" or unsuitable. taunts are awesome 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.