Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Super Street Fighter IV

Game » consists of 28 releases. Released Feb 26, 2010

Super Street Fighter IV is a standalone update to its predecessor, adding new characters, modes, and online features.

No More Character Unlocking!

• 88 results
    lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#1  Edited By lordofultima

In an interview with IGN Ono says that you won't have to unlock any characters, they'll all be there from the off-set! WOOOOO. Don't know why I'm pumped but yeah.

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 31

#2  Edited By AgentJ

I don't know if I like this. I always felt like unlocking characters was part of the fun. I can't see Jump Ultimate Stars taking up nearly as much of my time had I not had to spend dozens of hours getting the gems to unlock those characters. 

StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By StaticFalconar

While I don't mind unlocking characters, I did mind having to do a raindance on a full moon with all perfects just to get the last couple of characters.

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By AgentJ
    @StaticFalconar: Mmmm, good point. 
    lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By lordofultima
    @AgentJ: Character unlocking is horrible and time-consuming, not to mention a hassle for tournament organizers everywhere.
    Brake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 15

#6  Edited By Brake

Thank frigging god! That was a pretty tedious thing to have to go through and I don't think it really has a place in online fighters.

I think we will still have to unlock the different colors, though:
    "There are other ways to keep people playing, other things to unlock – it doesn't have to be characters [...]" 

animateria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By animateria

I don't mind unlocking colors or...

COSTUMES!

Seriously, I do hope they make costumes the thing to unlock, rather than trying to make money off of them. 

(I didn't buy the costume pack, and nobody should.)

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By AgentJ
    @lordofultima said:
    " @AgentJ: Character unlocking is horrible and time-consuming, not to mention a hassle for tournament organizers everywhere. "
    I hear ya on the tournament thing, but couldn't there be an option for it? I use unlockables as motivation
    lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By lordofultima
    @AgentJ: If there was an option for it, who would not select that option? (stupid question, I guess you wouldn't) As long as there weren't achievements associated with unlocking characters I wouldn't mind toggling that option, but if there were of course I'd have to go beat the game with everyone and get exactly 17 perfects and 240 first attacks. PFFT.

There were plenty of unlockables in SFIV, the characters were arguably the easiest to get. You should try getting all the titles and icons, pretty ridiculous.
    ahoodedfigure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 64

#10  Edited By ahoodedfigure

I think it depends on what the criterion is for unlocking in just about any game.  If it feels like a natural progression from being a novice to knowing what you're doing, and that's what unlocks stuff, OK.  If you have to do really, really hard stuff, the reward should be good, but I don't think basic gameplay and actual CHARACTERS should be shut off because of this.

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By AgentJ
    @lordofultima said:
    " @AgentJ: If there was an option for it, who would not select that option? (stupid question, I guess you wouldn't) As long as there weren't achievements associated with unlocking characters I wouldn't mind toggling that option, but if there were of course I'd have to go beat the game with everyone and get exactly 17 perfects and 240 first attacks. PFFT.  There were plenty of unlockables in SFIV, the characters were arguably the easiest to get. You should try getting all the titles and icons, pretty ridiculous. "
    I have a hard enough time with the achievements in SSFIIHDTR and MVC2, so no thanks :P. I love my fighting games, but they aren't exactly my forte. 
    animateria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By animateria

Just look at how Soul Calibur 4 does things.

Yes, they do make you unlock the characters, it is a much easier process than SFIV. But most of the time I've spent on the game was to unlock the various customization options. I guess Tekken, VF5 would be other games that have this as a way to give incentive to players to play longer

I think SFIV had similar items to collect, though in a lesser degree. And didn't necessarily need to have the rather annoying character unlock process. I don't think SSFIV needs to have customizable items on the characters. But I think they can created a lot of challenges and goals that pertain to color unlocks, taunts, which they have done, and costume unlocks, which they have not done.

Costumes are wholly unnecessary, as I haven't found the need or want to purchase them, but it would be great incentive to make me play the game some more. (Not that the lack there of, ever stopped me) 

I think it doesn't even need to be 1 challenge or 1 fight to unlock them.

How about a multiple requirements?

For example...

To unlock Ryu's alternate costume. 

1. Finish story mode on medium or higher.

2. Win X amount of times.

3. Perform X amount of Ultras.  

Then again this is probably far and beyond what companies are willing to do I suppose.

lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By lordofultima
    @animateria: I'd personally rather just pay a couple bucks for another shoto costume pack than beat arcade mode with all the shotos numerous times meeting requirements. Maybe I'm just jaded at this point but I would absolutely love this game to have no unlockables at all, so I could just have everything and begin playing.
    MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#14  Edited By MeierTheRed

Having to unlock characters is so damn outdated, they should just all be there from the get go.

VWGTI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#15  Edited By VWGTI
    @AgentJ said:
    " I don't know if I like this. I always felt like unlocking characters was part of the fun. "
    I feel this way too. Part of the fun playing fighters alone was unlocking new characters. It gave you something to work torwards. Hell, that's one of the reasons I love Smash so much. You get soooooooo much to unlock and some of it takes a lot of time, which gives you a small sense of accomplishment.

I wonder if they're doing this because Tekken 6 will have all of the characters unlocked from the start.
    napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By napalm

I hate unlocking shit, and doing tedious shit to unlock it. Why do you think I haven't unlocked any characters in Street Fighter IV?

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#17  Edited By GunstarRed

at least IV wasn't like Blazblue where you have to unlock actual moves!, I didn't mind unlocking the characters though,they were pretty easy to get. 
    I like the idea of unlocking cosumes though...preferably through the amount of online play.
    Flushes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Flushes

Thank god. I haven't liked unlocking characters in a fighting game since Soulcalibur on Dreamcast, and the only reason I liked it there is because I was thirteen or something. Also, the music was boss.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#19  Edited By ArbitraryWater

This is very good. My regular SFIV save data got corrupted (and thus, I lost all the characters), and I really didn't want to play through arcade mode with everyone just to unlock Seth again. 

Unlocking works in a game like Smash Bros, where part of the fun is finding out who was put into the roster, but in a game where the entire roster is revealed beforehand it doesn't work.

banzairyusan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#20  Edited By banzairyusan
    @ArbitraryWater said:
    " This is very good. My regular SFIV save data got corrupted (and thus, I lost all the characters), and I really didn't want to play through arcade mode with everyone just to unlock Seth again.   Unlocking works in a game like Smash Bros, where part of the fun is finding out who was put into the roster, but in a game where the entire roster is revealed beforehand it doesn't work. "
    But don't we know who is available from all the previews we see on youtube? :D

@lordofultima said:
    " @animateria: I'd personally rather just pay a couple bucks for another shoto costume pack than beat arcade mode with all the shotos numerous times meeting requirements. Maybe I'm just jaded at this point but I would absolutely love this game to have no unlockables at all, so I could just have everything and begin playing. "

The staff of Tekken 6 said also that "unlocking is so old school," and that they were going to have all the characters available from the start! I agree!  Also, during tournaments, it is a pain to have to bring saves just to have all the characters unlocked, and now we don't get all the costume colors as well available. I just want the ability to customize clothes and appearance like in Tekken 6! :D
    HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By HitmanAgent47

There goes alot of the replay value.

Avatar image for emandudeguyperson
    Emandudeguyperson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 6

You never do stop with these fucking endless SFIV threads do you?
    jonnyboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#23  Edited By jonnyboy

Nothing worse than bringing a predominantly multiplayer game home, grabing a few controllers each and having question marks where characters should be, or an incomplete setlist. We just want to play, not have to come back tomorrow when it's all open.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#24  Edited By jakob187
    @lordofultima said:
    " @AgentJ: Character unlocking is horrible and time-consuming, not to mention a hassle for tournament organizers everywhere. "
    This.
    FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    @Emandudeguyperson said:

" You never do stop with these fucking endless SFIV threads do you? "

Shut up.  This is the SSF IV forums, what the hell did you expect?
    TheGremp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By TheGremp

Sweet. I won't have to waste another 15-30 minutes just to unlock Gouken again.

Avatar image for superfluousmoniker
    SuperfluousMoniker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Having to unlock characters sucks. I still haven't bothered to unlock Seth or Gouken. 

@HitmanAgent47 said:

" There goes alot of the replay value. "

If you consider beating the game on easiest difficulty ten times 'replay value' then yes.
    tatsuyame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By tatsuyame

Either way, people will moan. People dislike having to unlock characters, but when you can't (as in the MVC2 port) people bitch about having nothing to do. -_- I'll enjoy not having to unlock the characters. Pain in the ass, not fun, and a waste of time.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    @tatsuyame said:
    " Either way, people will moan. People dislike having to unlock characters, but when you can't (as in the MVC2 port) people bitch about having nothing to do. -_- I'll enjoy not having to unlock the characters. Pain in the ass, not fun, and a waste of time. "
    I think it works for games like SF or Tekken or something, but I think there's definitely place for character unlocks in games.  For example, character unlocking in the Super Smash series is a big aspect and it can be fun (when it's not tedious). 
    myke_tuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By myke_tuna
    @tatsuyame said:
    " Either way, people will moan. People dislike having to unlock characters, but when you can't (as in the MVC2 port) people bitch about having nothing to do. -_- I'll enjoy not having to unlock the characters. Pain in the ass, not fun, and a waste of time. "
    When you can't, everyone rejoices. Only people that would complain about having nothing to do would be people that need to play the game with friends (online or off). Fighting games have never really been about unlocking characters. Only game that still does that is Smash, but even then I don't really like doing it. Thankfully, they let you unlock everyone in the single-player game rather than 3 lives on Hard or 200 VS matches or whatever.
    ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By ryanwho

Unlocking characters is stupid and archaic, glad they see that. If they wanna throw in goofy bonus uniforms or something, that's a much better thing to unlock. If "hardcore" players need to prove how awesome they are by doing X task, give them a fancy gold uniform or whatever the hell. But I payed to play with all the characters so give em to me.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#32  Edited By JJOR64

Fonzie Approves.
     Fonzie Approves.
    Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Scooper

While I did have some fun and it extended the time I spent playing arcade mode to unlock characters, I have no problem with them being unlocked from the get go. I hope in Super you'll have to do something like complete the arcade mode on hardest differculty with a character to unlock an alternative costume for them, I think that would be cool. It would mean you're serious about a character enough to go through with the bother. I sure hope they don't make costumes DLC again. I didn't buy the costumes in SFIV as I took a stance to do my little bit against these sort of things in games.

I was fine with doing the trials to unlock the colours and taunts, that was alot of fun to do.

banzairyusan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By banzairyusan

The online aspect let me play more than 4,500 games online bwahahahah! (replay value). Without online.. well I got used to it so I wouldn't be playing as much without online ^^;

copycatzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By copycatzen

Stupid Capcom doesnt let you copy the PS3 save data, So if you take your game to a your friends house. You cannot play with all the caracter unless you unlock them all over again in his PS3. That really sucked. 
    I am glad you will be able to choose all of them from the very beggining now. 

Again Stupid Fuckers of Capcom! I love your games!
    lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By lordofultima
    @HitmanAgent47 said:
    " There goes alot of the replay value. "
    Replay value? Do us a favor and don't buy the game if you consider beating arcade mode 25-30 times replay value.

@Emandudeguyperson said:
    Welcome to Street Fighter baby, enjoy your stay.
    SpecTackle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By SpecTackle

Unlocking characters has always been a chore in any fighting game.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    @ColumnBreaker said:
    "Unlocking characters has always been a chore in any fighting game. "
    But in some games it actually is warranted, like in Super Smash.
    SpecTackle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By SpecTackle
    @FluxWaveZ said:
    " @ColumnBreaker said:
    "Unlocking characters has always been a chore in any fighting game. "
    But in some games it actually is warranted, like in Super Smash. "
    Sure, if you're into some kind of campaign/story with your fighting games then yeah it's warranted. It's still a chore, though.
    jeffgoldblum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By jeffgoldblum

Reminds me of all the songs being unlocked at the beginning of The Beatles Rock Band.
    I like the concept in both games.

jeffgoldblum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By jeffgoldblum
    @Emandudeguyperson said:
    Street Fighter is one of the most popular franchises in the history of gaming.
    If you dont like people talking about it go to a different website.
    CSXLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#42  Edited By CSXLoser

as a tekken player, i approve this 100%

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By HitmanAgent47
    @lordofultima: I don't go online for multiplayer games these days. I guess I like unlocking things and getting value out of the game.

Maybe they should give you an option of you want the characters unlocked or not.
    lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By lordofultima

@HitmanAgent47 said:

"@lordofultima: I don't go online for multiplayer games these days. I guess I like unlocking things and getting value out of the game.  Maybe they should give you an option of you want the characters unlocked or not. "

So, you don't play actual people in Street Fighter? That seems a bit counter-productive, seeing as the A.I. cheats and is awful at the same time.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    @lordofultima said:
    "

@HitmanAgent47 said:

"@lordofultima: I don't go online for multiplayer games these days. I guess I like unlocking things and getting value out of the game.  Maybe they should give you an option of you want the characters unlocked or not. "

So, you don't play actual people in Street Fighter? That seems a bit counter-productive, seeing as the A.I. cheats and is awful at the same time.

"
    Maybe he has people close to him who he plays local versus with.  But if that's not the case, I don't see the fun in having SF IV just to play against computer characters.
    lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By lordofultima
    @FluxWaveZ: Yeah maybe you're right, but I just assumed not, since if you play a lot of offline multiplayer, you'd still probably enjoy having the characters unlocked at the offset.
    Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Milkman

Thank god. Anyone who says unlocking characters is "fun" or give any other reason why it should exist are wrong.

ImperiousRix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

#48  Edited By ImperiousRix

I always found unlocking characters as a badge of honor (or probably more like ability to endure tedium).  I'm not crushed that it'll be gone, but I was never bothered by it that much.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Linkyshinks

Good, character unlocking is old hat, there's little pleasure to be gained from it. Gamers just wanna play from the get go, so they should let them.

SpecialBuddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By SpecialBuddy
    @ArbitraryWater said:
    " This is very good. My regular SFIV save data got corrupted (and thus, I lost all the characters), and I really didn't want to play through arcade mode with everyone just to unlock Seth again.   Unlocking works in a game like Smash Bros, where part of the fun is finding out who was put into the roster, but in a game where the entire roster is revealed beforehand it doesn't work. "
    True. Unlocking characters in Smash Bros is the only time unlocking characters is o.k., in fact, it is half of the fun of that game. In a game like Street Fighter I want my characters waiting and ready at the beginning.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.