Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Super Street Fighter IV

Game » consists of 28 releases. Released Feb 26, 2010

Super Street Fighter IV is a standalone update to its predecessor, adding new characters, modes, and online features.

Official PS3 SSF4 Community Thread

VicRattlehead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 17

#151  Edited By VicRattlehead

any you dudes thinking bout picking up kof13 when it comes out?

Avatar image for deactivated-57beb9d651361
    deactivated-57beb9d651361

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@VicRattlehead: Very possibly... and fuck your Balrog :P

Do we have any Akuma players on GB? I felt like I'd finally sussed the majority of my match-ups after something clicked while fighting Ryu today... then I went against a fantastic Akuma, though, who just locked me in block stun with air-fireballs and proceeded to mix my ass up for the rest of the set. Need hella practice and I don't want to go opponent searching in SRK...
    Pessh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#153  Edited By Pessh
    @GetEveryone: Killroy's the only one that can play him but he's not very good.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Pessh: Well, that's no use...

Edit: 
    @VicRattlehead: Fancy helping me practice against 'rog a bit more sometime soon? I thought I'd gotten into a better swing at first, then those D/C's threw me O.o 

I think my problem is that up-close against Bison, 'rog is gdlk and I give him almost too much respect; rather than getting slapped with continual upper loops and a monstrous amount of jabs I need to space myself a lot better/keep him where I need him and generally play it on my terms; rushing his shit down occasionally and then high-taiingl it back out seems like the best option. If I could actually wake-up teleport I'd feel a lot better...

Anyway, this is just stuff I was thinking about after we played, I'd like to actually rock some of it out in the wilderness.
    Pessh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#155  Edited By Pessh

Starting to learn Dudley and to play on a stick, hopefully someone knows something about Dudley because I'm clueless at the moment. I'll probably post the tournament shit tomorrow as well.

VicRattlehead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#156  Edited By VicRattlehead
    @Pessh: the only thing i know is s.hk cancels into ex machine gun so you can hit confirm it with c.lp, c.lp, s.hk xx ex machinegun, anything you want  eg c.hk>ultra if in corner or that ducking uppercut punch he does
    watch some vids of marn rocking it with dudley... some of the shit he does is cool
    dbz1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#157  Edited By dbz1995
    @Pessh said:
    " Starting to learn Dudley and to play on a stick, hopefully someone knows something about Dudley because I'm clueless at the moment. I'll probably post the tournament shit tomorrow as well. "
    Try out donvarone. Plays a very good Dudley.
    Pessh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#158  Edited By Pessh
    @VicRattlehead: Yeah Marn's Dudley is crazy, watching Marn Valle.
    @GetEveryone: Did you ever post pics of your stick?

Anyone know what CH means?  

CH f.mk [s.mk s.hk] s.lp s.hk JetUp(lp) MGB(lp) xx Super

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Pessh: Counter-hit, dude. Nope, but I'll do it tomorrow while I record some new matches.Means unscrewing the thing again, but showing the damage I've rought might be amusing. 

O.o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As requested:

The stick is irreperably bent and the actual mechanism is no longer connected to the board. Where it was welded on, its snapped away. The expression is shagged.

Edit: The first image is to show you how it should look.
    VicRattlehead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#161  Edited By VicRattlehead
    @Pessh:  yeh as geteveryone said i think its counter hit 
    @GetEveryone:  lol dude you really did a number on that stick.. poor thing
    Avatar image for killroycantkill
    killroycantkill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 13

#162  Edited By killroycantkill
    @GetEveryone: Man... That  stick has been raped... You should learn how to play on it bent LOL.
    Avatar image for lilbigsupermario
    lilbigsupermario

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@MarceloAbans said:
    " All I know is I got booted form a game.. =P j/k "
    LOL! was this the one that the host thought you were a random?
    lilbigsupermario

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@GetEveryone:  

wow GE, if someone else was with you during that rage moment, that stick could have been a broken nose lol!
    J_Las_Vegas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#165  Edited By J_Las_Vegas
    @GetEveryone:   Let us know how you get on with the repair.  If you do use the resin it will take at least 24 hours to dry fully.

Also, remind me to never piss you off.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

J turned me onto epoxy resin earlier, so I have a cheap means to fix my stick. Fucking finally!

*Soon Kenneth. Soon...*

I'm thinking about doing a series of video diaries of my experience learning Guy, too. It'll have matches from various points in my travels and I'll put up some of the things I'm practicing in training (punishes, combos and so on) so I hope its at least a little interesting. 

On this point, does anyone know of any decent editing software? Free or... not free.

Ahem.

darkvare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#167  Edited By darkvare

that sticks reminds me of the times my brother used to punch the tv lol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darkvare: Oh, man. The days when you could punch a tv and it would only hurt your hand. If you attempted that today the thing would burst in an instant.
    darkvare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#169  Edited By darkvare
    @GetEveryone: yeah thats why i keep the halo games on the sd tv and every game he dislikes on the hd one
    lilbigsupermario

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@GetEveryone said:
    " @darkvare: Oh, man. The days when you could punch a tv and it would only hurt your hand. If you attempted that today the thing would burst in an instant. "
    lol! i remember punching (but not hard) the sd tv as well during the PS1/PS2 days lol! 

Now, I just either throw the controller on the couch or I punch the floor and just curse over and over again...maybe I should always have a stress ball right beside me every time I play SSFIV...
    ricetopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#171  Edited By ricetopher

What's strange is that while I can easily rage at games, it takes a lot for me to rage at SSF4 (unless its arcade mode Seth). However it didn't take that much to have me cursing up a storm and throwing the controller a bunch of times while I was finishing up Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Saga 2 yesterday. 

Oh, then again there was that time I hit the wall of my old apartment with a dualshock in my hand and made a big black scrape mark on the wall. I think it was when I was playing Tekken 6, cause the arcade mode final boss is BS. Thankfully I never got charged for that one.

Pessh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#172  Edited By Pessh
    @GetEveryone: Thanks, and lol at the stick.
    Avatar image for siroptimusprime
    SirOptimusPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#173  Edited By SirOptimusPrime

Wanna talk about rage in games? Let's talk about how 90% of the players online abuse lag-techs and are almost all colossal idiots. Seriously, why should I have to learn stupid lag tactics if I want to play the game seriously? I can tech a-mmkay, 100% offline, I don't have to worry about random reversals from idiots mashing cannon spike or srk's, and I can focus dash into a fireball game. All very basic shit, but what the fuck, if I don't gain PP I'll never be able to fight any decent people online, but I can't do that because I give my opponent too much credit. 

Goddamnit, the scene here is nearly non-existent, I'd have to go to NYC or NJ to even have some opposition. Yeah, yeah I know some of you don't have tons of competition either, but jesus...there is ONE dude in the general area I live in that cares about Street Fighter, and he plays a good Gief, but playing that obnoxious asshole as Boxer is not how I want to go about life. 

I rage daily about the level of stupidity on PSN. I can only imagine what XBL is like. Yay, rage for the day. 

yakov456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#174  Edited By yakov456

While watching cops I found a Colonel Guile moonlighting. He is fighting the secret effeminate gay character only available in the next DLC pack.

No Caption Provided

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@SirOptimusPrime: Dude, I swear the majority of my losses in ranked come from talentless assholes who mash dps through blockstrings all day long. I could be mixing it up like mad and it wouldn't matter; their bullshit style works online and it enrages me.

@yakov456: Nobody said they had a camera on at the time...
    Avatar image for thelegendofluke
    TheLegendofLuke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#176  Edited By TheLegendofLuke
    @SirOptimusPrime said:
    I can only imagine what XBL is like.   

It's not so bad. I only punch the wall like once or twice a day.
    SirOptimusPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#177  Edited By SirOptimusPrime
    @TheLegendofLuke: Hah, I actually almost did that a few days ago. I really shouldn't play fighting games, but that fight money keeps callin' me. 

@GetEveryone: The thing is, when there isn't an Endless lobby with people I know, I have to go play Ranked...and I actually had two good matches today. then had about 12-15 stupid matches with me winning 1-2, then losing 1, etc etc. I've only really ever lost Ranked to morons, Chuns, and Dhalsim.

Eugh. 
    yakov456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#178  Edited By yakov456

I just played a match for the hell of it online with Adon, and about 5 minutes practice with him and dominated. It seems like this character is a bit overpowered. Yes or no? I blow at this game so for me to dominate tells me something is wrong.

Pessh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#179  Edited By Pessh
    @yakov456: Very wrong, you were probably just playing scrubs who don't know what you can and can't punish. He's decent, nothing more.
    SirOptimusPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#180  Edited By SirOptimusPrime

Yeah, he's a decent character at best. You can be mega scrubby with mediocre characters and have 10,000 BP in this game, so don't place any sort of pride on the online or your "domination". 

Jus' sayin'. 

lilbigsupermario

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've been playing this game for quite a long time and I can't even get past 4k bp lol!  Well I do keep fighting people at SAME SKILL so I don't know if that's a factor. 

But what I've noticed recently in ranked matches, I've been getting a lot of Ryu and Ken match ups again like back in SFIV.

SirOptimusPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#182  Edited By SirOptimusPrime

Eh, I find that it's less Ken and Ryu, more idiots. You can see my earlier rant for my distaste for this stupidity. Ken is almost always a win, unless the Ken is actually playing the damn game. Then he has a chance. Ryu, however, can flounder about like a salmon and win 5000BP. 

I finally hit B as Boxer, have 2k PP, so I'm quitting Ranked. I'm tired of being angry over virtual points. I feel like I'm hitting a brick wall of a learning curve and reflexes because of jackasses. 

gosukiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#183  Edited By gosukiller
    @SirOptimusPrime said:
    " Eh, I find that it's less Ken and Ryu, more idiots. You can see my earlier rant for my distaste for this stupidity. Ken is almost always a win, unless the Ken is actually playing the damn game. Then he has a chance. Ryu, however, can flounder about like a salmon and win 5000BP.  I finally hit B as Boxer, have 2k PP, so I'm quitting Ranked. I'm tired of being angry over virtual points. I feel like I'm hitting a brick wall of a learning curve and reflexes because of jackasses.  "
    Please keep your prejudice against Salmon off my forumtopic. Thanks.
    I've found ranked mode to be a waste of my time, but if you play it make sure it's set to 'people better than me'.
    You might actually get some real matches that way, I know I have.
    SirOptimusPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#184  Edited By SirOptimusPrime

@gosukiller:  I stand by my opinion on Salmon. It's like the Red Scare, but with less communism. Or possibly more. 

Anyways, I have actually had some good matches against A's and such. I fought a Ryu that actually knew how to play the game, and it came down to the wire but he managed to clutch it out. That was a match that actually felt good to lose, because he was obviously better than me and I learned something. I guess I had just managed to gimmick him out of a round and a half. I'm always happy when footsies are a concept in the other player's mind. 

lilbigsupermario

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How does one who "doesn't know how to play" perform in a match anyway?  I don't know how to distinguish one from a player who knows how to play.  I mean, if the player takes advantage of his character's abilities, isn't that legitimate since every character does have an ability/move that should allow the player to win the match against another character?

SirOptimusPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#186  Edited By SirOptimusPrime

It's not that they don't know how to play, it's just that they will continually do stupid things in situations that they should be accustomed to. Diction fail on my part.

It's simple instinct. If you get hit by something, you're not going to want to get hit by it again. They however know so little about their character or game, that they try random shit to try and avoid this move. Or they simply lack the experience to counter appropriately, and if you don't have experience, you shouldn't be accruing points like no one's business. 

I've literally fullscreen EX Rush Upper'd people with no retaliation. Ryu can easily do a throw or tatsu, you could jump and punish, and win...but they simply stand and try and poke or throw a regular fireball when I'm too close to punish. The lack of knowledge is astounding.  I'm not talking about illegitimacy, go ahead and do whatever it takes to win, I'm talking about ignorance. 

lilbigsupermario

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

oh okay, well that makes more sense. :) 

Yeah I do agree that a lot of players who have high BP still have a tendency to be easily baited or set up even if by that score, they should have known how to deal with getting out of bad habits in matches especially Ken and Ryu users.  But I guess maybe sometimes they just don't know how to deal with certain scenarios like when I keep doing the slow sonic boom and sweep as soon as they block, they keep blocking high even if I've done the same two-step tactic like 5 times in the match already lol!  I guess just some people tend to panic when they get confused, like me, even if I already know he's gonna jump and a simple uppercut will suffice, my thumbs don't react lol!

SirOptimusPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#188  Edited By SirOptimusPrime

Yeah, reaction's definitely a different thing. I kind of lump reactions in with my argument, but that's for another time.

On a less serious note, I'm wondering who I should pick up between Sagat or Honda, maybe even Bison.   

*sigh* 

Back to the training room. 

lilbigsupermario

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@SirOptimusPrime:  

Try Sagat, I haven't seen a really good Sagat since he got nerfed :)
    gosukiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#190  Edited By gosukiller

I recommend trying Honda, since our resident Honda left our group (Ricetopher).

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Guy.  

Oh, Guy.  

Oh, Guyayay.  

*sung to the tune of whichever song it fits*

gosukiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#192  Edited By gosukiller
    @GetEveryone said:
    " Guy.   Oh, Guy.   Oh, Guyayay.   *sung to the tune of whichever song it fits* "
    I always suspected you were into Guy. Good for you!

ZING!
    SirOptimusPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#193  Edited By SirOptimusPrime
    @gosukiller: Yeah, I'm already comfortable with Honda, so stretching out to him isn't a big deal. Plus, charge characters are easier for me so it's a natural movement really. We'll see what happens, but Boxer's got mah back forever.  

@GetEveryone: Oh Guy...your useless ultra 1 and weird super. Well, useless is a bit harsh. All I know is Guy can't use his ultra 1 to come back, and his ultra 2 is a worthless grab.  

Or maybe it isn't? I don't really know much about either, to be honest, only ever fought 1 really good Guy player. 

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@SirOptimusPrime: Ultra 1 is deadly in the corner but otherwise fulfills the same job as his super (a combo ender; the cherry on top, basically) and 2 is a godlike 1 (2?) frame throw that punishes a load of stuff and can be FUCKING ARMOUR CANCELLED! 

I just think he's quite cool :) Didn't really take to any of the newcomers that much, but I like Guy a lot. Makoto and Ibuki also seem pretty badass.
    gosukiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#195  Edited By gosukiller
    @GetEveryone: I recommend getting U2 into your game. Once you got the rush-down thing done, people will be afraid to move and you can destroy them with the insane damage it does.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gosukiller: Yeah, man. Its incredible if you can find the opening. Assuming you are throwing out some heavy mix-up or block-string, people have a tendency to eithger jab at the end of likewise (whether they are looking for counter-hits/crouch teching or what have you) so breaking off and throwing it out nets you a cool (unscaled) 500 damage. 

Absolute carnage. 

I'm going to practice Ryu a little bit more now. In those games we had last night I was far too random at points, but when I sat back and just played a little more... thoughtfully(?)... it was quite fun. He isn't as loose feeling as Ken, but he's fairly cool.
    SirOptimusPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#197  Edited By SirOptimusPrime
    @GetEveryone: Well, when compared to Thawk and Gief's 1 frame grabs that are inescapable unless you jumped before activation U2 is pretty bad. That one extra frame really helps. It's the same with Honda's U2, but Honda has poor range, probably even worse than Guy. I'm also pretty sure all grab ultras can be armor cancelled. Or at least, Gief can dash and FAD ultra. 

Ultra 1 has to be combo'd for like 3 EX though, right? Or does it work after one Ex Hozanto? But yeah, like gosu said, having any form of grab ultra will deter idiots from mindlessly rushing in (believe the mindless rushing idiot), and U1 is corner specific, which is going to eventually happen as Guy, but it's too corner-situational to put to good use IMHO. 

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@SirOptimusPrime: Totally man, but you shouldn't really be throwing it out without expecting something. Its situational, definitely, but extremely useful. Being only 2 frames means that it will catch any move they do, punishes whiffs and lots of things on block (some of Ken's stuff on hit) and means FADC dash becomes a liability for the enemy. Mind-games, bro.

Ultra 1 you can use with ninja sickle for free in the corner, after FF chain in the corner (or with FADC from mid-screen), shoulder FADC... and loads of buggy examples (you can tag Zangief with one hit of your super then ultra 1 fully, but thats extremely specific). So you needn't use more than two bars, but it generally doesn't require any meter. Guy's whole game is working someone to the corner (as you said) and landing just about anything puts them there, so its pretty useful, if not particularly damaging.  

I'd probably be more inclined to always pick U2 from now on, though. He builds meter extremely fast and super is a pretty reliable way to end a combo if you have it, so U1 is kind of redundant, I'll give you that.
    SirOptimusPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#199  Edited By SirOptimusPrime
    @GetEveryone: True about mind games, I just don't like to rely on things that are easy to set up with the right tactics, but horribly difficult when people know that you're going to set it up. I play a Gief on a regular basis, and he has the whole dash ultra and armor cancel ultra thing down tight, but since I know he's going for it, I've never gotten hit it by it unless it involves him going wakeup. Though, with Guy, there's a lot more mix-up involved, and his 50-50 on wakeup (more like 90-10, weighing on EX Tatsu side) is a bit more dangerous than Gief's. That's just taken from personal experience, but since Guy has more of a mix-up game than the Cyclone, I'd think it a mite more useful than U1. 

Oh, and cool about U1's combo-ability. Like I said, I've never really fought a good Guy player that kept me in the corner long enough to land ultra, so that's new info to me.  

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@SirOptimusPrime: I take back basically everything I said about U2 yesterday: its almost definitely just a tool for punishing. 

I tried landing it a bit sneakily; cutting off a blockstring and throwing it out (tried a couple of other variations, too) and it worked, like, once...twice max.  

I did manage to catch a rake of stuff on block with it, though, so if you're frame-data knowledge is decent enough its pretty handy (mine isn't.)

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.