Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Super Street Fighter IV

Game » consists of 28 releases. Released Feb 26, 2010

Super Street Fighter IV is a standalone update to its predecessor, adding new characters, modes, and online features.

Prima's Guide: Yea or Nay?

Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 18

#1  Edited By Undeadpool

I bought the guide to SSFIV and it seems like the kind of thing that a relative novice could definitely get behind. It breaks down concepts like wake-up game, FADCs, when to use certain moves (and more importantly when NOT to), but I have a weird issue with it: the guy's overall analysis of characters seems incredibly skewed. He's unbiased when he gives strategies and he never declares one character better or worse than another, but it just seems like he has a strange idea of what constitutes complexity (he calls C. Viper "the most complex and difficult character to use in maybe any fighting game," for instance). 
    Anyone else buy the guide? Like or not? Have thoughts on the validity of his claims?

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By JJOR64

I remember talking to lordofultima about the guide and he thought it was strange that they only had frame data for the new characters.  Me, personally, I would just skip the guide and read everything online.

Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Undeadpool
    @JJOR64:  
    That was my original plan, the problem became that almost every online guide I read basically assumed that you were at least an intermediate, if not expert, level player. It never defined any of the terms or when to not use special moves.
    lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#4  Edited By lordofultima
    @Undeadpool said:
    " @JJOR64:  That was my original plan, the problem became that almost every online guide I read basically assumed that you were at least an intermediate, if not expert, level player. It never defined any of the terms or when to not use special moves. "
    The Prima guide is crap, it has no use to a player of any level of skill. Some of the stuff it says are just flat out lies.
    Karolis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 34

#5  Edited By Karolis
    Avatar image for deactivated-5b9bf8423af62
    deactivated-5b9bf8423af62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Bought the guide a with SFIV when it came out, never ever use it, I can't say it wasn't worth it as it came as part of a deal.

Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Undeadpool
    @lordofultima:  
    Yikes! That's no good! Can you think of any examples of the top of your head just so I know what to watch out for?
    Avatar image for deactivated-57beb9d651361
    deactivated-57beb9d651361

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@Undeadpool:  You'd be far better off just getting your info from SRK, dude. That site is a well of knowledge.

Video threads cannot be appreciated enough.
    MarceloAbans

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By MarceloAbans

Nay, best school for learning SF is the SOHK

rlhyeung

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By rlhyeung

well... viper is one of the most difficult characters to use in the game. in terms of execution, it is very complex

Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Jeffsekai
    @Undeadpool said:
    " @JJOR64:  That was my original plan, the problem became that almost every online guide I read basically assumed that you were at least an intermediate, if not expert, level player. It never defined any of the terms or when to not use special moves. "
    What sites have you been using?
    Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Undeadpool
    @Jeffsekai:  
    Gamefaqs mostly. Oddly enough knew about SRK, had heard of it anyway, but didn't know it was so into helping people. I thought it was mostly a place for news coverage and match-ups, so I've started using that to great success. Tried Street Fighter Dojo, but didn't really click with it. Plus last I checked they still didn't have any data for Super Street Fighter IV.
    Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Jeffsekai
    @Undeadpool said:
    " @Jeffsekai:  Gamefaqs mostly. Oddly enough knew about SRK, had heard of it anyway, but didn't know it was so into helping people. I thought it was mostly a place for news coverage and match-ups, so I've started using that to great success. Tried Street Fighter Dojo, but didn't really click with it. Plus last I checked they still didn't have any data for Super Street Fighter IV. "
    Oh god, don't use Gamefaqs.... SRK is a good place for sure.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.