Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Super Street Fighter IV

Game » consists of 28 releases. Released Feb 26, 2010

Super Street Fighter IV is a standalone update to its predecessor, adding new characters, modes, and online features.

So, who uses the Turbo mode?

Zombieheadbutt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By Zombieheadbutt

While playing around in the Challenge mode last night practicing with Guy I got stuck on one of the trails that has you canceling into a Super at the end of the combo.  I spent about 40 min. on this before I began bludgeoning my face on my Fightstick (I had to stop this for fear of ramming the stick into my eye socket).  Looking at a Younoob video of the trails that also has a separate camera on the stick of the guy performing the combo I came to the realization that I will NEVER be able to consistently pull this off.  His fingers move at a speed and fluency I could never hope to achieve.  (This brings me to my theory of if you can't play a rhythm game you can't be awesome at fighting games.)  

So I then, just for kicks, turn on the turbo keys and BAM, I nail it.  Messing around with it I notice that I finally look like some of those amazing players I run into online who kick my ass with impossible timing combos.  Now, I've always considered Turbo buttons and modes to be a cheat and I never intend to use this online due that fact but how many of you actually use Turbo? I know that some combos are impossible with Turbo enable so it isn't good for some characters but enabling it for a LK or LP seems like a safe bet for someone who does use Turbo.  So, who uses Turbo?

Stang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Stang

I won't lie, I turbo some of my inputs for the character trials, like Gen for instance. Without turbo I could not do some of those insane hand combos. I just am not good enough.

OllyOxenFree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#3  Edited By OllyOxenFree

Hell no.  Turbo mode is for chumps.

Gambit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Gambit

oh yeah when doing the character trials i won't think twice about using turbo. But thats it I won't use during matches the teh lame. Fought a Bison using turbo earlier today. It was funny watching the replay after the match and seeing light kicks flying up the screen like crazy.

Cmdc00kie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By Cmdc00kie

Ya i only use turbo on the trials but even if I wanted to use turbo in a real match it would hurt more than help me.
    Necrotrophic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Necrotrophic

I use turbo during the trials a lot.

If its a combo thats just retarded, like canceling  EX moves after throwing an EX fireball into ultra. Im not even going to attempt that. Its not practical either.

keyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By keyhunter

I've been wondering since 1995. What the fuck does Turbo actually do? I remember back in the mid 90's all the 3rd party PSX and N 64 controllers had turbo, and when you hit it it would pause and unpause the game really fast over and over and over.

Zombieheadbutt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Zombieheadbutt
    @keyhunter said:
    " I've been wondering since 1995. What the fuck does Turbo actually do? I remember back in the mid 90's all the 3rd party PSX and N 64 controllers had turbo, and when you hit it it would pause and unpause the game really fast over and over and over. "
    Turbo is a feature that some controllers have that allow you to enable multiple button presses at different speeds without having to actually press the button.  For example, most character is SSFIV have LK and LP that can be spamed that will knock people out of certain moves.  I've seen a LP know a Ryu out of a hurricane kick if done at the right moment.  If you in able Turbo and press the LP then you will spam LP at a speed that most people can't achieve on their own.  It also negates timing and frame issues sometimes.  Can't get that MP to land after two LP due to frame data?  Enable turbo for MP and hold it down after the two LP and chances are it will connect simply because of how fast the button is being spamed.
    Avatar image for lilbigsupermario
    lilbigsupermario

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By lilbigsupermario

Wow, there's turbo in fightsticks?  So is it fair to blame "turbo" if I lose a match against an opponent who is a beast with links and combos? Hehehe!  I can just say, "He's probably using turbo" just to feel good about my loss haha! 

Or I can just accept that I just suck at Street Fighter lol! :)

Stang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Stang
    @Zombieheadbutt said:
    " @keyhunter said:
    " I've been wondering since 1995. What the fuck does Turbo actually do? I remember back in the mid 90's all the 3rd party PSX and N 64 controllers had turbo, and when you hit it it would pause and unpause the game really fast over and over and over. "
    Turbo is a feature that some controllers have that allow you to enable multiple button presses at different speeds without having to actually press the button.  For example, most character is SSFIV have LK and LP that can be spamed that will knock people out of certain moves.  I've seen a LP know a Ryu out of a hurricane kick if done at the right moment.  If you in able Turbo and press the LP then you will spam LP at a speed that most people can't achieve on their own.  It also negates timing and frame issues sometimes.  Can't get that MP to land after two LP due to frame data?  Enable turbo for MP and hold it down after the two LP and chances are it will connect simply because of how fast the button is being spamed. "
    That last part is false for the most part. Those links you mention are typically 1-2 frame links, turbo will not help you in that situation. The timing is far too precise for turbo to work. Chaining lp and lk works effectively, because you have like 4+ frames for those (shotos at least).
    Zombieheadbutt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Zombieheadbutt
    @Stang said:
    " @Zombieheadbutt said:
    " @keyhunter said:
    Turbo is a feature that some controllers have that allow you to enable multiple button presses at different speeds without having to actually press the button.  For example, most character is SSFIV have LK and LP that can be spamed that will knock people out of certain moves.  I've seen a LP know a Ryu out of a hurricane kick if done at the right moment.  If you in able Turbo and press the LP then you will spam LP at a speed that most people can't achieve on their own.  It also negates timing and frame issues sometimes.  Can't get that MP to land after two LP due to frame data?  Enable turbo for MP and hold it down after the two LP and chances are it will connect simply because of how fast the button is being spamed. "
    That last part is false for the most part. Those links you mention are typically 1-2 frame links, turbo will not help you in that situation. The timing is far too precise for turbo to work. Chaining lp and lk works effectively, because you have like 4+ frames for those (shotos at least). "
    In my initial post I mentioned that some combos won't work with turbo enabled due that very reason.  Links have very precise timing and target combos are already pretty easy. Links can still work with Turbo its just not possible to rely on it.  Links are exactly the kind of combo I have the most trouble with and the game does nothing help you with that. I fully realized the difference difference between games like Street Fighter and BlazBlue when I was able to pull of a 20 hit combo with only 5 min. of practice.  Street Fighters timing for combos is INSANE compared to most games and that is why the hardcore stick with it.  Harder for button mashing to be effective.  I think Turbo is mostly good for canceling into the Super combos, combos that still work with a button being spamming but its still better to learn it using "negative force" (I think that is the term shoryuken and iplaywinner uses to refer to pressing a button and release the register a punch for a different move.)
    Zombieheadbutt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Zombieheadbutt
    @lilbigsupermario said:
    " Wow, there's turbo in fightsticks?  So is it fair to blame "turbo" if I lose a match against an opponent who is a beast with links and combos? Hehehe!  I can just say, "He's probably using turbo" just to feel good about my loss haha!  Or I can just accept that I just suck at Street Fighter lol! :) "
    Whatever lets you sleep at night, lol.  I have to turn off my mic sometimes when I lose because the filth spewing from my mouth would make a sailor blush.  I admit, I'm a VERY sore loser!  And sucking at the game doesn't help.
    Skytylz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#13  Edited By Skytylz

What does turbo do?  I just got my TE stick and I saw the button but I didn't know what it meant.

Stang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Stang
    @Zombieheadbutt: Fair enough. The term is negative edge by the way.
    Zombieheadbutt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Zombieheadbutt
    Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16  Edited By Sooty
    @lilbigsupermario said:

" Wow, there's turbo in fightsticks?  So is it fair to blame "turbo" if I lose a match against an opponent who is a beast with links and combos? Hehehe!  I can just say, "He's probably using turbo" just to feel good about my loss haha!  Or I can just accept that I just suck at Street Fighter lol! :) "

Turbo doesn't make many combos easier because a lot of them have small windows where you can combo off them. Turbo is hit and miss and will miss the window just as much as you will trying to do them without the use of it.

Turbo actually causes more trouble, I never use it because it doesn't remove the need for timing. Turbo doesn't equal free links at all.  I can do one of Dudleys 1 frame links consistently now so just practice normally and you will get there.

@Necrotrophic

said:

If its a combo thats just retarded, like canceling  EX moves after throwing an EX fireball into ultra. Im not even going to attempt that. Its not practical either.

"
    I'm not trying to be a dick but EX cancelling is VERY practical and is used constantly in high level play.

Unless you mean shit like Ryus corner EX hurricane kick into EX uppercut then focus cancelled into ultra, that isn't very practical due to the amount of meter it takes. (the hurricane kick followed by ultra is practical, wasting 3 bars on EX uppercut and cancel is not)
    Zombieheadbutt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Zombieheadbutt
    @Stang said:
    " @Zombieheadbutt: Fair enough. The term is negative edge by the way. "
    Yea, knew I was getting that wrong.  I'll never forget my amazement when I figured out this was possible in SFA II, lol.
    Avatar image for lilbigsupermario
    lilbigsupermario

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By lilbigsupermario
    @Zombieheadbutt said:
    " @lilbigsupermario said:
    Whatever lets you sleep at night, lol.  I have to turn off my mic sometimes when I lose because the filth spewing from my mouth would make a sailor blush.  I admit, I'm a VERY sore loser!  And sucking at the game doesn't help. "
    LOL!  I'm no clean mouth myself.  I swear a lot when I lose matches, but if it's a close fight, of course I don't get bitter over the loss hehehe!
    StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By StaticFalconar
    @Ygg said:
    " @lilbigsupermario said:

Turbo doesn't make many combos easier because a lot of them have small windows where you can combo off them. Turbo is hit and miss and will miss the window just as much as you will trying to do them without the use of it.

Turbo actually causes more trouble, I never use it because it doesn't remove the need for timing. Turbo doesn't equal free links at all.  I can do one of Dudleys 1 frame links consistently now so just practice normally and you will get there.

@Necrotrophic

said:

"
    I'm not trying to be a dick but EX cancelling is VERY practical and is used constantly in high level play.  Unless you mean shit like Ryus corner EX hurricane kick into EX uppercut then focus cancelled into ultra, that isn't very practical due to the amount of meter it takes. (the hurricane kick followed by ultra is practical, wasting 3 bars on EX uppercut and cancel is not) "
    Couple of things you got to keep in mind, a good player can always just build more EX meter, yes you will hit diminishing returns the more EX and FADC you use, its all worth it if you still on the offensive since you will constantly just build meter.  

As far as turbos go, the timing you have to get down to use them reliably in a combo you might was well learn the combos the normal way since if anybody catches you using turbo thier respect for you will go down. There's plenty of characters that have good (or at least decent) chain combos that you may never have to learn links until you hit that wall. But learning links in combos isn't exactly the first thing one should try to learn anyway since SSF4 is so much more than just combos. 
    keyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By keyhunter

After further investigation: I used my Turbo button to get through the stupid c.lp c.lp c.lp c.lk part of honda's super combo in the trial with great accuracy and speed. Also crouching medium kick EX slappin a fool.

ErrantElement

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By ErrantElement

Never even considered using the turbo buttons during Trial.  I think I'm going to have to give that a whirl. 

Necrotrophic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Necrotrophic
    @Ygg said:

@Necrotrophic

said:

"
    I'm not trying to be a dick but EX cancelling is VERY practical and is used constantly in high level play.  Unless you mean shit like Ryus corner EX hurricane kick into EX uppercut then focus cancelled into ultra, that isn't very practical due to the amount of meter it takes. (the hurricane kick followed by ultra is practical, wasting 3 bars on EX uppercut and cancel is not) "

I dont see any reason for it, in regards to how the trials are setup.  ex moves, then ex cancels to ultra. its just not practical, and it  does less damage because of scaling.

If you're going to cancel an ex fireball or shoryuken, fine. But what they have in the trials is way overkill

I often find its better to build your super meter. I used to waste it a lot now I try to hang onto it and use the super if possible. They usually do a nice bit of damage

Symphony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#23  Edited By Symphony
    @Stang said:
    " I won't lie, I turbo some of my inputs for the character trials, like Gen for instance. Without turbo I could not do some of those insane hand combos. I just am not good enough. "
    This. 

If there's one thing my TE stick is actually useful for, it's the turbo that helped me overcome some of the insanely finicky trials.
    JokerSmilez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#24  Edited By JokerSmilez
    @Necrotrophic said:

I often find its better to build your super meter. I used to waste it a lot now I try to hang onto it and use the super if possible. They usually do a nice bit of damage"

I've watched a lot of videos and streams of high level competitive play and I hardly ever see players use the Super, but they do EX moves all the time. EX moves usually have differently properties than regular specials (usually super armor, as well as fast start up and good frame advantage). Maybe it depends on which character you use, but EX moves are so important for playing Balrog (my main), that I would only use the Super if I happened to have a full meter and didn't have Ultra meter and the Super would be enough to win the match. Even still, I'd rather have an EX blocked and grind out the rest of the match than lose the whole meter to a block and have to grind it out without any EX's to rely on. That's just me though, and it probably completely depends on who you're playing and the importance of their EX's to their strategy.

As for Turbo, I would never use it, even in trials. I use trials as a way of practicing linking and canceling, not just because I'm a completionist or to get the achievement. I'd rather practice good habits than fall back on a crutch. In the end, using a Turbo button would only make me a worse player because I'd tell myself "well, I'll never be good enough to get this timing or link down, so why not just use this Turbo button?" People that are good enough to execute those really tough stuff got that good by practicing a lot. No one was born able to hit 1-frame links, not even Gilley

I don't mean to come off as an arrogant, self-righteous asshole (even though I sound that way). If you want to use Turbo, hey, go ahead. But for me, I'd rather punish myself by trying to do it the hard way because for better or worse, I want to try and get good at this game without short cuts. Maybe I'll never get there, but I'll never know if I don't try.
    lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#25  Edited By lordofultima
    @Zombieheadbutt said:

" While playing around in the Challenge mode last night practicing with Guy I got stuck on one of the trails that has you canceling into a Super at the end of the combo.  I spent about 40 min. on this before I began bludgeoning my face on my Fightstick (I had to stop this for fear of ramming the stick into my eye socket).  Looking at a Younoob video of the trails that also has a separate camera on the stick of the guy performing the combo I came to the realization that I will NEVER be able to consistently pull this off.  His fingers move at a speed and fluency I could never hope to achieve.  (This brings me to my theory of if you can't play a rhythm game you can't be awesome at fighting games.)    So I then, just for kicks, turn on the turbo keys and BAM, I nail it.  Messing around with it I notice that I finally look like some of those amazing players I run into online who kick my ass with impossible timing combos.  Now, I've always considered Turbo buttons and modes to be a cheat and I never intend to use this online due that fact but how many of you actually use Turbo? I know that some combos are impossible with Turbo enable so it isn't good for some characters but enabling it for a LK or LP seems like a safe bet for someone who does use Turbo.  So, who uses Turbo? "

Turbo in matches is cheating. Not only that, but it hinders your ability to combo...it doesn't help. If you mash buttons, the string of normals becomes a "chain." Special moves are not cancelable from chains (with the exception of target combos), meaning that your big combo potential is likely wasted when you mash/turbo your buttons. Timing your inputs correctly to form a string of attacks is called a "link." Links allow you to cancel into special moves, and they're a big part of hit-confirming, which makes the risk factor much lower. 

The only beneficial use of turbo would be in A) Combo Trials, and B) Multiple Input Specials (Handslap, Lightning Legs, Electricity, etc.). But even then, there's legitimate ways to input those special moves (pianoing, sliding) which make the likely-hood of them coming out correctly increase. 

@Necrotrophic: I see where you're coming from, but I don't agree. You get a max damage combo by Focus Canceling, but that's not all. You get to apply extended pressure on the opponent, allowing for more mix-up and damage opportunities. I will FADC a fireball into another string of attacks even if they're being blocked. There's more to gain than life advantage.
    JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#26  Edited By JJOR64

I'm like everyone else here, I use Turbo during the Trails, but never in a match unless we are screwing around.

Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Scooper

I don't use it.

demontium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#28  Edited By demontium
    @Stang said:
    " I won't lie, I turbo some of my inputs for the character trials, like Gen for instance. Without turbo I could not do some of those insane hand combos. I just am not good enough. "
    Yeah same. 

But there is no need to turbo with dudley in an actual match cuz he links like a mofo.
    Zombieheadbutt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Zombieheadbutt
    @JokerSmilez said:    No one was born able to hit 1-frame links, not even Gilley.   

That dudes insane.  If he can do even 1/3 of that to a moving opponent I have no idea why he wouldn't be pro. 

As for using Turbo in the trails, I know its a respectable goal to try them without Turbo but I spent months on SFIV and wasn't able to nail most of the upper tier trails for all characters.  At some point I have to assume that there is a limit to my ability for timing.  Hell, I can't play Gutar Hero/Rock Bank on any setting other than Medium because I become so confused.  Then why play fighting games, you may ask?  Because the community of fighting game fans is one of the best.  No other community has a Daigo, Justin Wong, etc.  When I played SFII at my local Food Lion when I was 12 I thought I was king of the world because I played the green dude who could electrocute that mother of 2 or the kid or started crying when he dropped his slushy. Turbo is about my only option for a few select trails were its possible to achieve them with Turbo enabled.  I would never attempt Turbo in a real game because its 1.) Unfair/cheating 2.) You play a worse game if you rely on it. 
    DirrtyNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By DirrtyNinja
    Alot of Blanka players seems to turbo rape electricity.
    Avatar image for deactivated-57beb9d651361
    deactivated-57beb9d651361

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Necrotrophic: So much stuff in the trials make no sense. Hardly any of the ridiculous conbos seem EX or frame efficient.
    rlhyeung

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By rlhyeung

turbo is primarily a feature for schmups or any game that requires rapid repeated pressing of a button. with turbo you can just hold down the button, and it reduces the wear and tear of the button. 

I turbo trials when necessary, but no turbo for anything else. it hurts you more than it helps.

Myomoto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Myomoto

I use turbo on retarded trials that require 1 frame links in the middle of some long ass combo.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.