Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Super Street Fighter IV

Game » consists of 28 releases. Released Feb 26, 2010

Super Street Fighter IV is a standalone update to its predecessor, adding new characters, modes, and online features.

Was There A Point To Keeping Vanilla SF4?

newmarcom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By newmarcom

I remember some time ago that there was supposed to be something special if we kept vanilla SF4 when Super was released. Now that Super is out in the wild, keeping a vanilla SF4 save only unlocks colors 11 and 12 (ink brush and pencil scratch shaders respectively). Was there mention of any other bonus content that was going to be unlockable with the vanilla/super combination? Or was it a Capcom ploy to prevent everyone from trading in?

AlwaysAngry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By AlwaysAngry

What I want to know is, why do people call it vanilla?

spacekatgal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By spacekatgal

Sit down, my child. Let me tell you the story of Capcom and incremental upgrades.  

Bri

Renahzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By Renahzor
    @AlwaysAngry said:
    " What I want to know is, why do people call it vanilla? "
    Same reason WoW 1.0 s vanilla wow.  Its like vanilla icecream, no extras, just the basic foundation that the new stuff is built on, like a delicious ice cream sundae.  God damnit, I'm hungry now.
    newmarcom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By newmarcom
    @AlwaysAngry said:

It's an adopted name to replace the word "original". In relative terms, the original(vanilla) SF4 is plain in comparison to Super. It's also one syllable less to pronounce.

Edit: But that's beside the point. I'd still like to know if there was anything else unlockable with the vanilla/super combo.
    Mourne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Mourne

You only unlock something for your save file, so keep that and you're golden. Even then, it's only two colors for each character (which are filter overlays anyway). If you've played the PC version, you'll know what I mean.

Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Scooper

If you've unlocked the stuff I guess you could trade it in and get like 3 bucks for it. By you might as well just keep it. In 15 years you might want to play some SFIV instead of SSFIV. Like sometimes I want to play Hyper Fighting instead of Turbo.

newmarcom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By newmarcom
    @Scooper said:
    " If you've unlocked the stuff I guess you could trade it in and get like 3 bucks for it. By you might as well just keep it. In 15 years you might want to play some SFIV instead of SSFIV. Like sometimes I want to play Hyper Fighting instead of Turbo. "
    Very true. I didn't have any intention of trading in my vanilla for that exact reason.
    Driadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#9  Edited By Driadon

It only needs the save data from SF4 and it unlocks some graphical filters as skins. If you have it and don't want to keep it as a reminder of all those good times you had with it, you can get rid of it.

Stang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By Stang
    @Renahzor said:
    " @AlwaysAngry said:
    Same reason WoW 1.0 s vanilla wow.  Its like vanilla icecream, no extras, just the basic foundation that the new stuff is built on, like a delicious ice cream sundae.  God damnit, I'm hungry now. "

Fat ass!
    ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By ryanwho

I'd sell it. Fans understand this is basically like a yearly sport game iteration, where the previous version is worthless after the next one comes out, but unlike a superseded sports game you can probably get a decent trade in price for this.

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By napalm
    @ryanwho said:
    " I'd sell it. Fans understand this is basically like a yearly sport game iteration, where the previous version is worthless after the next one comes out, but unlike a superseded sports game you can probably get a decent trade in price for this. "
    Not exactly. There probably won't be another iteration of a IV game. If they do, we might not get it for two or three years, and there would be some serious gameplay changes.
    AlKusanagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#13  Edited By AlKusanagi

There's also completely different intro and ending animations for each character, the gallery that is not present in Super, and Super's lack of the epicness that is Indestructible. Keep SF4.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.