Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Super Street Fighter IV

Game » consists of 28 releases. Released Feb 26, 2010

Super Street Fighter IV is a standalone update to its predecessor, adding new characters, modes, and online features.

Who's the best Balrog player?

demontium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By demontium

I'm learning balrog (who is amazingly easy to start with, but really hard once you up higher), and the best way for me to learn is for me to watch the better players.

Zicdab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By Zicdab

Do you mean Balrog the Boxer?  I'd say look at videos of Keno.  If you mean Balrog the Claw then I'd say Tatsu.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    @demontium said:
    " (who is amazingly easy to start with, but really hard once you up higher) "
    I wouldn't agree with that. 

This page is full of Balrog tips. I don't think watching excellent players will necessarily help you if you don't understand why they're doing what they're doing so you'd need to build up on the basics first.
    Pessh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By Pessh

PR Rog and Keno.

demontium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By demontium
    @zicdab: BOXER everybody, and I've seen a lot of keno. What I've learned from him is that I need to learn how to dash ultra. And a lot of other stuff, but I'm lookin for the BEST player.
    demontium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By demontium
    @Pessh said:
    " PR Rog and Keno. "
    I think keno is better. 

@FluxWaveZ said:
    " @demontium said:
    " (who is amazingly easy to start with, but really hard once you up higher) "
    I wouldn't agree with that. 

This page is full of Balrog tips. I don't think watching excellent players will necessarily help you if you don't understand why they're doing what they're doing so you'd need to build up on the basics first. "
    I've seen a lot of the iPW rog vids, nothing too special there, but do you play rog? Because if you don't, you wouldn't know that Rog is very easy to keep out at higher play if you have good armor breaking/invincible moves and good reactions.
    Avatar image for siroptimusprime
    SirOptimusPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By SirOptimusPrime

PR Balrog, Maeda Taison, and Gootecks are/were the best. 

PR runs Balrog almost like ST Boxer. Traps like a motherfucker, hella defense, and reactions. Those are the three things that are necessary for the Rogster. 

Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Jeffsekai

JSMaster is the best Balrog right now, no contest. 

PR Balrog sucks now, Keno is alright.

Pessh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Pessh
    @demontium: PR Rogs better, done consistently better in tournaments, better fundementals. Kenos all anticipation/reaction. Worth watching JS Master for rushdown but he's Canadian and is too aggressive.
    Mechanical_Ape

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#10  Edited By Mechanical_Ape

Poongko is probably better known for his Seth, but he's also a very good Balrog player.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#11  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    @demontium said:
    " I've seen a lot of the iPW rog vids, nothing too special there, but do you play rog? Because if you don't, you wouldn't know that Rog is very easy to keep out at higher play if you have good armor breaking/invincible moves and good reactions. "
    I main 'Rog and I've played hundred of hours as him as well as 11k+ BP. I wouldn't say I'm awesome, but I'm not terrible either. I guess I didn't understand what you meant by "really hard once you up higher" as that just made it sounds like it's harder to play him the more you learn him.
    SirOptimusPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By SirOptimusPrime

JS is best? Lol. All he does is rushdown. 

Sure that gets you somewhere, but he's almost Lamerboi in terms of reverse clutch. Dude doesn't know when to stop and think. 

Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Jeffsekai
    @SirOptimusPrime said:
    " JS is best? Lol. All he does is rushdown.  Sure that gets you somewhere, but he's almost Lamerboi in terms of reverse clutch. Dude doesn't know when to stop and think.  "
    And all the other Balrog players just lose. hmmmmm 

JS beats people, everyones else loses HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM
    JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#14  Edited By JJOR64
    @Pessh said:
    " PR Rog and Keno. "
    SirOptimusPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By SirOptimusPrime
    @Jeffsekai: All he has to his name is a 4-0 against Jwong months ago. After that, he got scrubbed out at like three tourneys. Oh, and I'm just throwing this out here, Keno and PR have placed more often and more recently.
    Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Jeffsekai
    @SirOptimusPrime said:
    " @Jeffsekai: All he has to his name is a 4-0 against Jwong months ago. After that, he got scrubbed out at like three tourneys. Oh, and I'm just throwing this out here, Keno and PR have placed more often and more recently. "
    and I'm talkin about what Balrog is the best, not the one who goes to tourneys Jwong doesn't go to. 

If you're saying JSMasters going 4-0 vs JWong is a bad thing then lol. None of the other balrogs have ever done that. JS also beat Mike Ross, Gootecks, Diago, and Mago. He's the best. 

I mean wasn't it Mago or Diago who said they were scared of JS? Yea that's all I have to say about that.
    SirOptimusPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By SirOptimusPrime
    @Jeffsekai: Well, to be honest, Mago is afraid of Rog altogether and Daigo has said a few times that PR is the best. 

What I'm saying about JS v. Wong is that JS got 4 games (including Daigo and Mago) to his name. I don't give two shits who it was against, he hasn't placed at all in the last few tourneys. I'll reserve my opinions on him until he gets consistent at all. Last time I saw him or heard about him, he was getting wrecked by nobodies and he was struggling to even tech throws.  

Before my words get twisted some more, Imma skip out on this. 

P.S.  JS was also the dude who called Valle washed up. Fucking hilarious. 
    Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Jeffsekai
    @SirOptimusPrime said:
    "  P.S.  JS was also the dude who called Valle washed up. Fucking hilarious.  "
    uh, Valle is kinda washed up in SF4.
    lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#19  Edited By lordofultima
    @Jeffsekai said:
    " @SirOptimusPrime said:
    uh, Valle is kinda washed up in SF4. "
    You're a joke, Valle is more consistent than JS in tournaments. PR Balrog is the best Balrog for sure, consistent tournament results since Vanilla prove it. Keno doesn't win tournaments, ever pretty much.
    Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#20  Edited By Scooper
    @Jeffsekai said:
    " @SirOptimusPrime said:
    You're insane. Valle is one of the most consistent players ever. He's been whooping the top's asses for years. Not to mention he has kept his own style of Ryu this whole time and he's also probably the most interesting player to watch IMO.
    Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Jeffsekai
    @lordofultima said:

" @Jeffsekai said:

" @SirOptimusPrime said:
    You're a joke, Valle is more consistent than JS in tournaments. PR Balrog is the best Balrog for sure, consistent tournament results since Vanilla prove it. Keno doesn't win tournaments, ever pretty much. "
    @Scooper said:

" @Jeffsekai said:

" @SirOptimusPrime said:
    You're insane. Valle is one of the most consistent players ever. He's been whooping the top's asses for years. Not to mention he has kept his own style of Ryu this whole time and he's also probably the most interesting player to watch IMO. "
    @Ultiam: I'm not comparing JS to Valle so why are you? You mad I insulted your fav player or something sheesh. grow up. 
    Open you're eyes please, in Alpha Valle actually won tournies when was the last time Valle won a big tournament? I've had this discussion with people who have followed the scene a hell of a lot longer than we have and SF4 is defiantly not Valle's game. 

Valle is still good, but he's no where near as good as he used to be. Don't get all pissy. Let me be very clear here, I love Valle he is great to watch and hes a great player. I would love to see him win tournies and I always cheer for him when hes up, but the sad part is, is that he doesn't win I wish that wasn't true. He still has the potential as we saw in that game vs Diago but he is not nearly as consistent as he used to be in Alpha.
    Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Scooper
    @Jeffsekai: He's definitely not as good with SF4 as other games but that doesn't mean he's not one of the best players in the US. I think last week he beat Filipino Champ and the like. He doesn't WIN tournys much but he always places very high consistently. It's not all about coming first. Many players come first for a couple months and then drop off the scene because they can't adapt or their gimmick style gets figured out. The fact that he's been in countless top 8s is proof that he's one of the best. It's the same deal with Mike Ross. He hardly ever WINS tournaments but he's still a kick ass Honda. 

I don't think JS is the best boxer because I think he's kind of a gimmicky player. He's very good but he wins I think because he plays a Balrog that is much different than the conventional one. He's plays a very aggressive and risk taking Balrog and I think that's what has won him the games the last few months. I think he's the sort of player that won't be consistent because people can adjust to that Balrog and are already starting to.
    JerichoBlyth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#23  Edited By JerichoBlyth
    @lordofultima:  I love it when mods directly insult people lol

But yeah - I would probably go with Valle too from the footage I've seen.
    Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Jeffsekai
    @Scooper said:
    " @Jeffsekai: He's definitely not as good with SF4 as other games but that doesn't mean he's not one of the best players in the US. I think last week he beat Filipino Champ and the like. He doesn't WIN tournys much but he always places very high consistently. It's not all about coming first. Many players come first for a couple months and then drop off the scene because they can't adapt or their gimmick style gets figured out. The fact that he's been in countless top 8s is proof that he's one of the best. It's the same deal with Mike Ross. He hardly ever WINS tournaments but he's still a kick ass Honda.  I don't think JS is the best boxer because I think he's kind of a gimmicky player. He's very good but he wins I think because he plays a Balrog that is much different than the conventional one. He's plays a very aggressive and risk taking Balrog and I think that's what has won him the games the last few months. I think he's the sort of player that won't be consistent because people can adjust to that Balrog and are already starting to. "
    I'll agree with you here. Also I think it has something to do with Valle playing Ryu, Ryu is everyones most figured out matchup so the fact that he does as good as he does is very telling. I still think if you compare him to his Alpha self he is defiantly not as good, but he is still a top player.
    AndrewJD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#25  Edited By AndrewJD

I thought this was the "who's the best balrog player" thread, not the "Is Alex Valle over the hill" thread!!!! 

Anyway, you guys are all wrong. The best Balrog player is clearly ice0age r. SOOOOO beastly!!

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By AlexW00d

Gandalf.

Avatar image for deactivated-57beb9d651361
    deactivated-57beb9d651361

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@mubress: I watched 3 matches and he looked like any other Balrog I've played/watched. He lost 2 outright and won 1 in the 3rd round with bullshit.  

I still hate Balrog, years on. 

Best I've seen was some lad on the Peacuful Jay stream. Tore ass up with the craziest rushdown I've ever seen from a rog. No idea what his name was.
    AndrewJD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By AndrewJD
    @GetEveryone: Depends who your playing against doesn't it. I look great when I play against scrubs who I can dance all over. Trythese3, pretty beastly in them. 

I understand your hate for Rog though. Really solid character.
    Avatar image for deactivated-57beb9d651361
    deactivated-57beb9d651361

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mubress:  Ah! His match against Dudley was more along the lines of what I was expecting. Those upper loops are crazy and I've never seen the non-ex version FADCd before. Pretty cool. I'll give you that he's pretty decent :P 

As for Balrog is general, though: yup, solid is the only word I could use to describe him. If I ever get cornered by a Rog I end up pressing buttons till I'm dead or somehow, miraculously, escaped. Practiced the match-up so hard, though, so it's one I feel pretty confident in now. Just need to score that first KD...
    AURON570

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By AURON570

Yeah PR Rog and JS Master

Unofficial JS Master theme song. 

Love it... ;)
    Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Jeffsekai
    @AURON570 said:
    " Yeah PR Rog and JS Master

Unofficial JS Master theme song. 
      Love it... ;) "
    WHOS THE MASTER
    Bravestar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Bravestar
    @mubress said:
    "Trythese3, pretty beastly in them."
    I wouldn't call that beastly. He can do combos alright, but that weren't great matches from either player.
    Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Jeffsekai
    @Bravestar said:
    " @mubress said:
    I wouldn't call that beastly. He can do combos alright, but that weren't great matches from either player. "
    Yea that looked like pretty standard online Balrog.
    SpecialBuddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By SpecialBuddy

Sense we are turning this into a "Fuck You Jeffsekai" thread Ill add my two piece.

FUCK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GoldenGlove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By GoldenGlove

Questions about who is best bad, tournaments good.

AndrewJD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By AndrewJD
    @Jeffsekai said:
    " @Bravestar said:
    " @mubress said:
    I wouldn't call that beastly. He can do combos alright, but that weren't great matches from either player. "
    Yea that looked like pretty standard online Balrog. "
    You must be trying to provoke something with that comment, right? I'm happy to say this guy isn't the best Balrog I've seen, I was just throwing him in the mix, but to say he's just like all the other online Rog players is ridiculous.
    Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Jeffsekai
    @mubress said:

" @Jeffsekai said:

" @Bravestar said:
    " @mubress said:
    Yea that looked like pretty standard online Balrog. "
    You must be trying to provoke something with that comment, right? I'm happy to say this guy isn't the best Balrog I've seen, I was just throwing him in the mix, but to say he's just like all the other online Rog players is ridiculous. "
    I'm really not, all I saw was dropped combos and random headbutts. 

@SpecialBuddy said:
    " Sense we are turning this into a "Fuck You Jeffsekai" thread Ill add my two piece.  FUCK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! "
    pffffft what ever canned. Where have you even been.
    Scyld

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Scyld

J.R.R. Tolkien
    AndrewJD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By AndrewJD
    @Scyld said:
    " J.R.R. Tolkien "
    You shall not pass! etc etc..... Great first post btw.
    Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Scooper

A Balrog or Morgoth? 

Bagga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Bagga

TWODEE

hechaleagua

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By hechaleagua
    thegoldencat7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By thegoldencat7

Number one, you probably shouldn't have bumped an old ass thread to just post a video link. Number two, mirror matches don't prove whos the better player. They just prove whos the best at the mirror match.

Oh and props to the guy on page 2 who made an account purely to post 'JRR Tolkein' and then never post again.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.