Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Syndicate

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Feb 21, 2012

Syndicate is a reinvention of the 1993 game by Bullfrog. Developed at Starbreeze Studios, the game puts players in the shoes of Miles Kilo, one of the cybernetically-enhanced Agents who wages war against enemy mega-corporations on behalf of EuroCorp, his sponsor syndicate.

PC duders - impressions?

• 72 results
    kishinfoulux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By kishinfoulux

Played a bit of single player. Maxed settings and no issues. Runs and looks great.

Also pardon my ignorance but what is FOV? Field of View? What is that about?

Avatar image for nocookiesforyou
    NoCookiesForYou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#52  Edited By NoCookiesForYou

I'm really liking the game so far. Is it just me or are any of you guys having bloom issues? Syndicate seems to have alot of bloom and no way of tuning it down.

Mnemoidian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

#53  Edited By Mnemoidian

@carlos707: What sort of mouse are you using? Someone mentioned somewhere being able to run custom profiles (edit: through manufacturer's software) per games and remapping Mouse 4 and 5 to other keys in Syndicate - could be worth looking into.

(Not an issue I'm having with my Razer Naga, though).

@NoCookiesForYou: Yeah, there are some areas in the single-player where the Bloom gets REALLY out of hand. I think it's at least partially intentional.

@kishinfoulux: Yeah, I've never really had this issue, I tend to adapt to the FoV in games - but here's a video of a someone for being able to change FoV:

edit: and now that I've seen more than the first quarter, I realize the video is a lot more about an internet argument. So feel free to skip past the explanation :P

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#54  Edited By Tennmuerti
    @kishinfoulux said:

Played a bit of single player. Maxed settings and no issues. Runs and looks great.

Also pardon my ignorance but what is FOV? Field of View? What is that about?

It's the viewing angle of your sight.
    In gaming context it is the angle that a game uses to let you see the world. (from a point where your eyes would theoretically be on the character for example)
    When the FoV is narrow you see less of the world on the screen. Objects appear closer, but you see less. When the FoV is too narrow you start to feel like a horse with blinders on.
    As the FoV gets larger you are able to see more of the world on the same screen, but objects start appearing further away. At a certain point (over 100-110 degrees) you get a fish eye effect as the edges start to bend, mostly noticable when moving the camera around..

Console fps games generally have a low FoV because you are sitting further away from the television hense the low FoV makes sense for your eyes. (also because it requires less processing power which consoles lack)
    When the low FoV is not adjusted for a close up PC screen many people can begin to feel sick because the view is so narrow and they are so close, because it fucks with the angle at which your mind normally sees the world.

Here are 2 comparison BF3 shots:
     60 degrees FoV
     60 degrees FoV

90 degrees FoV
     90 degrees FoV
    Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Maybe it's because I sit about four or five feet away from my monitor, but I haven't got this crazy discomfort that other people have.  Feels like an issue for the Master Race.

Klei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#56  Edited By Klei

@AhmadMetallic said:

10 minutes into the QL, I would never run this shitty crap on my PC. It was traumatized by Crysis 2, I'm keeping it clean with good games installed. We're talking about Crysis 3 here right?

Crysis 2 is a great game. What's your beef with it, bro?

carlos707

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By carlos707

@Mnemoidian: I have a Razer DeathAdder, are you saying that you can map all those crazy thumb buttons on the Naga in Syndicate? Or are those buttons mapped to buttons on your keyboard?

Mnemoidian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By Mnemoidian

@carlos707: the crazy thumb buttons are mapped to act like keyboard keys.

However, the Razer software also lets me rebind, M1, M2, Mouse-wheel-click, "forward", "back" as well as mouse-wheel scrolling to whatever I want it to be. There are also profiles - I assume you could make a profile for Syndicate and just swap between that and whatever when you want to play Syndicate. Maybe not an ideal situation... but - should work at least!

Not sure if that software is specific for the Naga, but... give it a shot? I assume it's part of the driver package.

And yeah, being able to breach on the go really ups your game.

Avatar image for insane_shadowblade85
    insane_shadowblade85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I started playing it today (and ended up beating it today) and I honestly enjoyed it. It wasn't spectacular but it was fun (for me at least). The first boss fight is my favorite boss fight. I'll probably play the co-op eventually with some giant bomb dudes, but for now I'll move on to something else.

DeF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By DeF

hey! did anybody buy the retail PC version? I'd like to find out whether or not it supports Steamworks or if that's just an Origin key if you buy the retail disc.

Wuddel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By Wuddel

I keep on getting like 15seconds "lockups" were the game locks up but then continues?

fullmetal5550

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By fullmetal5550
    @mosdl said:

How does the game look/feel on the PC? How configurable is it? Mouse smoothing? Framerate locked to 30?

Jeff's crazy review makes me want to buy it, but no PC review copies nor demos scare me.

It looks ok I guess. The campaign is about six hours and is very linear. You don't get to make any choices or explore the futuristic city at all. Since the game is so short you don't have any real time to get to know the characters. The whole thing feels rushed.
    udabenshen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By udabenshen

@DeF: I would assume its just an Origin key that you install off of the disc, like Battlefield 3. I think all EA retail PC games will do this from here on forward. The only chance you will see new EA games on Steam will be if it is an EA partners game and they make the choice to publish the steam version on their own (like Amalur did).

DeF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By DeF

@udabenshen: yes and Syndicate is an EA Partners game which is why I'd like to know for sure. :)

I need facts. Anyone?

Mnemoidian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By Mnemoidian

: To be fair, it's a shooter we are talking about - non-linearity and exploration are not really something you should be expecting. Syndicate doesn't break new ground, but it is a pretty crazy ride with amazing feel to the gunplay and stuff. You are welcome to not be impressed - but we should at least not be crazy with our expectations :)

Durakh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#66  Edited By Durakh

all i can say: runs great on my machine and thanks jeff, for reviewing the game with enough openness to justify the many possibilities the game has to offer!

owl_of_minerva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#67  Edited By owl_of_minerva

If you're really unlucky like me you can't get the game to run at all after installation without resorting to a 'scene' .exe. However, this locks you out of the coop component.

(a) Desperately needs FOV option and more graphics options in general (b) extreme and garish lighting effects (c) short and terrible campaign (d) the meat of the game is in the coop but I haven't been able to play it, prolly not worth full-price or even half-price for just that component though (e) too influenced by CoD (f) wastes opportunities to establish setting and narrative (g) Origin is incredibly inept. Avoid.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#68  Edited By StarvingGamer

All the talk about this game on GotY reminded me that I own it but haven't played it and this game is fucking bust on my PC. I run Witcher 3 at pretty high settings but this old-ass game was constantly dropping sub-20 FPS for me in the tutorial section. Oh, and for some reason half the time enemies disappear when you turn on detective vision or whatever they call it. Even during the fucking tutorial when it was telling me to use it to see the enemy's position, I had two dudes in front of me unloading and they were effectively invisible until I turned the vision mode off.

WTFFFFFFFFFFF

EDIT: All you people talking about how great this game runs on PC 3 years ago sound cray to me

EDIT2: Fuck, 4 years ago, this is 2016 now isn't it.

Avatar image for deactivated-63b0572095437
    deactivated-63b0572095437

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The only issue I have with the game on PC is that it straight up pauses while loading in textures. This is generally an issue when riding on a carriage, but sometimes it happens in combat or while platforming, which is incredibly annoying. It won't get you killed or anything, as everything stops (including time) so it's like like you're getting beat up while it's stuck. I have an alright PC and the game installed on an SSD, so it's kind of ridiculous that this is a problem. Other than that, the game looks and runs alright. I have all the settings one level below max and I'm between 55-65fps in combat or jumping between buildings. You have to add a something to a .ini file in order to get the clothes on characters to move at more than 30fps. It's really jarring to have the rest of the game running smooth while your clothes move choppy. Specs below. FOV seems fine, I only have FOV issues in first person games. I play with an XB1 controller, so haven't tried to remap kb+m controls.

• i5-4690K @ 4.3GHz
    • GTX 970 SSC
    • 16GB RAM (PC1600)
    • Samsung 850 EVO
    • Windows 10

God dammit. You're not talking about AC: Syndicate. Okay, they may have had a point. Also this shit is almost 4 years old. I'm just wrong on all accounts. To be fair, I didn't expect a 3 year old thread to be bumped up into "Recent Discussions".

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thatonedudenick ahahaha, sorry that's pretty hilarious.

I didn't play much of this game but it ran fine for me back in the day, I always meant to play more but i never open up origin so none of my origin games ever get played. EA was stupid for requiring a new service to run there games, i don't think i've bought anything from them on pc since titanfall.

I want to hop on this game again but i doubt the online is active anymore and the single player didn't seem all that interesting.

fargofallout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I played this game on 360 back in the day, but I recently talked two buddies into buying it on PC since it's so cheap, and we've been playing co-op. I can't speak for them, but it runs great for me.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

I finished this game back in December for the second or third time. Ran great and played great on my computer.

I like wide FOV's but I didn't find this game's FOV an issue. The bloom and the over-exaggerated movement, though, those were problematic.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.