Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

System Shock 2

Game » consists of 6 releases. Released Aug 11, 1999

Developed by Looking Glass Studios and released in 1999, this cyberpunk first-person shooter with RPG elements established new standards for storytelling and gameplay.

Getting SS2 to run on a macbook.

Avatar image for uhohlovehascometotown
    uhohlovehascometotown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

how would i do that? i'm planning on buying it as soon as GOG releases it but i'm stuck with a macbook, which is also my first laptop/mac product.

RazielCuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By RazielCuts

@uhohlovehascometotown: Is there a confirmation its being released for GOG? If so just partition your HDD and set up Boot Camp using the assistant, you need a 'copy' of windows though. Works great for me.

I think though that Patrick also got it running a few months ago on OSX somehow? (I'd like to know how he did it if anyone can answer that)

Avatar image for uhohlovehascometotown
    uhohlovehascometotown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@razielcuts What do you mean by a "copy"? do you mean i have to buy a version of windows?

also i would like to know how @patrickklepek got it running on OSX too, that would make life so much easier.

RazielCuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By RazielCuts

@uhohlovehascometotown: Yeah by 'copy' I meant by other means but yeah, buying it is the same thing. I got a free student version anyway from when I was at Uni.

It's good to @ patrick but I don't think he'll reply at the mo as he's at home with the broken collar bone syndrome.

Emperor_Norton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By Emperor_Norton

Use Wine, I've got it running on my Macbook just fine using the original install CD

DaMisterChief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Windows is the answer

Avatar image for genericbrotagonist
    GenericBrotagonist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I recently got the GOG version working perfectly on my 2010 macbook pro, so I thought I'd give some instructions here if you still need help, as well as anyone else who was thinking of doing this.

First of all, you need a few things.

A copy of the game from GOG of course,

this wineskin

SS2 Wrapper

and wineskin winery from here

Wineskin Winery

you might need wine as well, but of that I'm not sure of that since I already had it. The easiest way to get it is the bundle with wine bottler.

Wine Bottler

The wrapper you are downloading was made for the CD version, so installing the GOG version right into it won't work. To get it to work, first you need to create a wrapper to download the game in.

Open winery, download the newest wrapper version and engine WS9Wine1.5.23. Use them to create a new wrapper. It might ask you to install something, say yes.

Once this is done, find the empty .app it created. It should be in user name->applications-> wineskin. If not just search for it with the name you chose for it. Right click and choose show package contents. Once inside, open the wineskin.app within as a normal app, and use it to install your system shock 2 installer exe by clicking install software and then choose setup executable.

Once that's all done, find a folder called "System Shock 2" within the wrapper you made and installed the game in. Then, go to the SS2 wrapper you downloaded and click show package contents on that as well. Find a folder called "Put game files in here" within the SS2 wrapper and put the "System Shock 2" folder in there. Now, clicking on the System Shock 2 wrapper should open and run the game.

I hope this helps.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.