Tactics Ogre Remake Revealed, Coming To North America

Posted by MattBodega (1903 posts) -

After eight long years since the release of Knights Of Lodis on the GBA, the Tactics Ogre series is coming back. Today, Square Enix announced the development of Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together, a remake of the very first game in the series, developed exclusively for the PSP

Originally released back in 1995 for the Super Famicom by developer Quest, Tactics Ogre featured a blend of grid-based tactical strategy and classic RPG combat and leveling that made for a gameplay system with much greater strategic depth than other JRPGs at the time. If you still can't picture it, think of the Final Fantasy Tactics games--which is apt, since, after leaving Quest in 1995, Tactics Ogre game director Yasumi Matsuno would join Square and create the first Final Fantasy Tactics (as well as Final Fantasy XII and Vagrant Story). 

Oh, yeah! I can practically smell those grids!... or maybe it's the burning flesh.

== TEASER ==Now, 15 years after the release of Let Us Cling Together, Matsuno and Square Enix are reuniting members of the original Quest team to adapt the strategy-RPG classic to modern standards, complete with new graphics, a recomposed soundtrack, and various new gameplay and leveling systems. From the description, the remake sounds like a more substantial update than the straight port of Final Fantasy Tactics: The War Of The Lions to the PSP. No release window has been announced for the game, but with this game and Civilization V on the horizon, could we be seeing the cusp of a resurgence of grids and hexes?

(No.)

#1 Posted by MattBodega (1903 posts) -

After eight long years since the release of Knights Of Lodis on the GBA, the Tactics Ogre series is coming back. Today, Square Enix announced the development of Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together, a remake of the very first game in the series, developed exclusively for the PSP

Originally released back in 1995 for the Super Famicom by developer Quest, Tactics Ogre featured a blend of grid-based tactical strategy and classic RPG combat and leveling that made for a gameplay system with much greater strategic depth than other JRPGs at the time. If you still can't picture it, think of the Final Fantasy Tactics games--which is apt, since, after leaving Quest in 1995, Tactics Ogre game director Yasumi Matsuno would join Square and create the first Final Fantasy Tactics (as well as Final Fantasy XII and Vagrant Story). 

Oh, yeah! I can practically smell those grids!... or maybe it's the burning flesh.

== TEASER ==Now, 15 years after the release of Let Us Cling Together, Matsuno and Square Enix are reuniting members of the original Quest team to adapt the strategy-RPG classic to modern standards, complete with new graphics, a recomposed soundtrack, and various new gameplay and leveling systems. From the description, the remake sounds like a more substantial update than the straight port of Final Fantasy Tactics: The War Of The Lions to the PSP. No release window has been announced for the game, but with this game and Civilization V on the horizon, could we be seeing the cusp of a resurgence of grids and hexes?

(No.)

#2 Edited by RiotBananas (3600 posts) -

Yay? 

EDIT: GOD DAMN WHERE'S MY QUEST?

#3 Posted by Spiral23 (3 posts) -

cool
#4 Posted by CitizenJP (1001 posts) -

Whoooaaa havent heard Tactics Ogre in a loooong time! Looks pretty sweet tho. Too bad I'm PSPless. :/

#5 Posted by EvilTwin (3324 posts) -

You had me until "PSP".

#6 Posted by Kyreo (4600 posts) -
@RiotBananas said:
" Yay?  EDIT: GOD DAMN WHERE'S MY QUEST? "
It's only for videos.
#7 Posted by Brodehouse (9518 posts) -

Man, tile-based JRPGs just curry absolutely no favor from me anymore.  I played Tactics Ogre, and I played Final Fantasy Tactics, and I played Disgaea.  There is literally nothing left in the genre. 

#8 Posted by Dpower94 (233 posts) -

"Get hyped for grids"? I'd like to correct this, the correct terminology is "Get hype". No "D".  
Not that I'd imagine you would know that, Kessler, just for future reference haha.

#9 Edited by NathHaw (2760 posts) -

I'd rather have a console version of a new Final Fantasy Tactics.  I've been waiting on it forever.

#10 Posted by Marcsman (3090 posts) -

Why the PSP? 
WHY??????????????
#11 Posted by MarkWahlberg (4580 posts) -

Top left girl in that circle of people is totally not wearing any pants. I approve.

#12 Posted by Druxk (38 posts) -
@EvilTwin said:
" You had me until "PSP". "
agreed
#13 Posted by Vager (1653 posts) -

I played a ton of this game when I was a kid. The only Japanese language game I ever suffered through. Took me FOREVER to figure out what everything little thing mean't. 

#14 Edited by CrazyManDan (18 posts) -

You know what? On occasion, I do consider myself to be down with grids.

Knight of Lodis is the only game I have from the Tactics Ogre line, but I loved it back in the day. Since I have a PSP, I'll definitely be giving this a look.

#15 Posted by l3illyl3ob (276 posts) -

What do you have against grids, Matt?

#16 Posted by jos1ah (325 posts) -
@EvilTwin said:
"You had me until "PSP". "
#17 Posted by TheChaos (1158 posts) -
@Marcsman said:
" Why the PSP? WHY?????????????? "
Because they think that if they make games people really want and then make it PSP exclusive it will stop tanking.
#18 Posted by popokarimu (18 posts) -

This news sold me on getting a PSP when I read it earlier.  I've been wanting to play this game for so long (FFT Is my favorite game of all time) but it's been hard to find and/or very expensive for a long time.

#19 Posted by SatelliteOfLove (1369 posts) -

Our Lord and Savior Matsuno returns, and you vex about grids? REPENT! REPENT AND BE SAVED!

#20 Posted by l3illyl3ob (276 posts) -

Apparently my purchase of a PSP couldn't be better timed.  The news of this broke two nights ago, and earlier that day I laid the cash for one, came home and read about the remake.  Crazy.

This is a really good but under-appreciated series.  Final Fantasy Tactics was pretty much the spiritual successor to Tactics Ogre, so if you liked FFT (which MANY people do), then there's a very strong chance that you will like this game.  Same designers, same artists, same almost everything, with a similar politically motivated plot.

#21 Posted by infestedandy (266 posts) -

Yep, I was interested until that acronym came up... PSP.

#22 Posted by Levio (1782 posts) -

I wish they would make a tactic game where the exp is split between the characters so I don't have to hold back the main characters or mess around trying to level up my weakest one.  It makes most of the battles less about winning and more about stupid things.

#23 Posted by chronicsmoke (996 posts) -

I still do not get all the hate for the PSP I love the thing!! With all these great games the psp just keeps getting better and better for me

#24 Posted by MisterMouse (3539 posts) -

Nice, I have enjoyed Final Fantasy Tactics so looking forward to this even though I haven't played a Tactics Ogre game. I remember seeing it a while ago when my main system was the GBA but didn't get it or anything like that.

#25 Posted by Skogen (430 posts) -

As much as I love the Tactics Ogre series, im bummed by the news as its a PSP exclusive. Looks like I'll just have to play through tKoL again for the 50th time.

Either way, this kind of exposure is great for the series and only helps the chances of getting more new games in the TO/OB series.

#26 Posted by sanchopanza (247 posts) -

Oh man, I was so excited untill i read the PSP bit. I have one but never get any games for it cos why when you can play better versions of those games on consoles. Saying that will probably still be getting this despite the PSP's crapness.

ps " could we be seeing the cusp of a resurgence of grids and hexes? (No.)" Screw you man, grid based games are awesome.

#27 Posted by cowdrunk (244 posts) -

yay!... wish it were march of the black queen though
#28 Edited by cowdrunk (244 posts) -

yay!... kinda  wish it were March of the Black Queen though
#29 Posted by Scrawnto (2432 posts) -

I may have to get a PSP one of these days. You know, when I actually have a job and money.

#30 Posted by jakob187 (21640 posts) -

Man, how this story would've been lessened had someone not made some decent pages for Yasumi Matsuno and Vagrant Story. 

>.>    <.<    O_O 

Also, FUCK YES!  Too bad it's only on the PSP.  Let Us Cling Together was such a great game.

#31 Posted by AuthenticM (3695 posts) -

Fuck yes. I am buying this.

#32 Posted by MeatSim (10734 posts) -

Never heard of it.

#33 Posted by GregK (34 posts) -

Day one for me.

#34 Posted by SpiralStairs (1020 posts) -

Awesome. I'm looking forward to this and Cladun.

#35 Posted by Sparky_Buzzsaw (6036 posts) -

I like the series and the opportunity to finally play the first, but I really hope this means they're going to make some new entries in the series.

Moderator Online
#36 Posted by ThePhilatron (255 posts) -

Damn it! I've actually been waiting for a remake of this game but of course it has to come out on the one platform that i don't own or have any interest in.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.