Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Television

Object » linked to 508 games

A television set is a device used to view moving images usually accompanied by sound. They often appear in video games and scenery but sometimes have more practical applications.

What TV brands do you own/like?

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

Edited By Blu3V3nom07

Poll What TV brands do you own/like? (92 votes)

LG 13%
    Magnavox 1%
    (Other) 8%
    Panasonic 28%
    Phillips 5%
    Pioneer 2%
    RCA 1%
    Samsung 42%
    Sharp 9%
    Sony 34%
    Toshiba 7%
    Vizio 13%

I'm currently in the process of selecting a new TV so I can future-proof the next 6 years in gaming. It seems that the LED buying revolution just happened a couple of months ago, and the prices are sort of fantastic.

I've been thinking about if I should buy a TV soon, or wait until Black Friday. The price seems pretty cheap to me right now, and I doubt the price would drop to much more than $200 near Black Friday. In the mean time, I'm remodeling my game-room and making it look nice with some really nice paint and I need a new wall-mount, and so-on. Blah blah, fuck I think the paint is gonna look really nice.. :)

Anyway, like the question says, what television brands do you currently own, or what brands do you generally like? I currently have a 32" Westinghouse LCD, and I hate it pretty bad. I'm gonna put it in my other room, so I'm sure I'll get some use out of it.

So, if you've had experience with multiple brands, post away! Amusing television horror stories to keep me up at night are nice too. :)

• 
    falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By falserelic

Sony...

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By bigjeffrey

VIZIO

I really don't watch TV though, i feel like getting rid of it and getting a nice monitor instead.

winsord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#3  Edited By winsord

I really like Sharp, personally, but it sounds like they might be too pricey and maybe too big for what you're looking for. I think the smallest TV Sharp is really selling right now is a 42" 120hz set, and it's around $500. I've got a 46" Sharp Aquos at home and love it, and I know the guys had at least a couple of Sharps in the old office too. They're pricey TVs but generally they seem like pretty high quality.

Edit: I guess I should add that I'm anti-plasma of sorts. I'll take a slightly lower quality image to never have to worry about and/or deal with burn in.

Joker369

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Panasonic plasmas are the best tv's out im my opinion. I got the GT50 for a crazy price when best buy was clearing out last year's stock. Sony makes the best LED but I've always felt that LED's look a little washed out

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Blu3V3nom07

@winsord said:

I really like Sharp, personally, but it sounds like they might be too pricey and maybe too big for what you're looking for. I think the smallest TV Sharp is really selling right now is a 42" 120hz set, and it's around $500. I've got a 46" Sharp Aquos at home and love it, and I know the guys had at least a couple of Sharps in the old office too. They're pricey TVs but generally they seem like pretty high quality.

Uhm, that's not necessarily too expensive for me. I've been looking at this sweet 58" Panasonic LED. It has the whole kitchen sink, with no 3D shit I don't care for! :D

I've certainly seen my share of Sharp, and they're pretty nice to ogle. From the people I know, I know: Sony, Sharp, LG people. But yea, Sharp is pretty great, honestly. :D

Some gent voted everything already.. Nice..

@joker369 That's good to hear! I've been thinking about staying away from plasmas. My cousin has one, and I dunno.. But its pretty old by now. But I'm not really leaning on making it movie-centric TV.

But fuck yea, Panasonic! :D

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By pr1mus

Main TV is a 40" Samsung LCD and i have an old 27" Sony CRT which is a billion times better for PS1 or older games.

subject2change

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By subject2change

@joker369 said:

Panasonic plasmas are the best tv's out im my opinion. I got the GT50 for a crazy price when best buy was clearing out last year's stock. Sony makes the best LED but I've always felt that LED's look a little washed out

Got a 55" used one on Amazon from their Warehouse for less than a grand. Sold my old 40" to my friend for 300...best decision.

I own a 55" Panasonic.

My GF inherited a 32 or 37" Sony from her grandparents

I used to own a 37" Sharp

I used to own a 40" Toshiba

I picked out a 42" LG for my sister.

I love my Panasonic, it's fucking gorgeous. My GFs TV is nice, but someone seems to have sprayed some liquid on it and it's sort of damaged. It looks like it's stained and I can notice it almost all of the time, but we use it as a second TV and just in the bedroom for Netflix and Wii.

Avatar image for nicktorious_big
    nicktorious_big

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

We still have a huge tube TV that is chugging away in our living room. The thing weighs like 150 pounds and it still is working after all of these years. Vizio or Sony is the way to go with the new TV's though!

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Blu3V3nom07

@joker369 said:

Got a 55" used one on Amazon from their Warehouse for less than a grand. Sold my old 40" to my friend for 300...best decision.

I own a 55" Panasonic.

I love my Panasonic, it's fucking gorgeous. My GFs TV is nice, but someone seems to have sprayed some liquid on it and it's sort of damaged. It looks like it's stained and I can notice it almost all of the time, but we use it as a second TV and just in the bedroom for Netflix and Wii.

Would you say that a used TV is worth trying? Was it refurbished?

I've been reading some interesting reviews that Panasonic TVs' gamma can look washed out. I've been banking on this purdy Panasonic I want, that I'm hoping can drop price like a solid $100 in like a month or two.

But in general, are you liking that Panasonic better than say Sharp, or LG?

Sony...

I have like two or three friends that have Sonys'.. Dat Sony..

If anyone has like a Samsung TV story, let me know! :D

subject2change

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By subject2change

@blu3v3nom07 said:

@subject2change said:

@joker369 said:

I own a 55" Panasonic.

I've been reading some interesting reviews that Panasonic TVs' gamma can look washed out. I've been banking on this purdy Panasonic I want, that I'm hoping can drop price like a solid $100 in like a month or two.

@falserelic said:

Sony...

The panasonic is the best TV i have owned or seen in person. I would recommend if you are buying used or refurbed make sure it's from AMAZON WAREHOUSE, they are good at returns if something is wrong. They also are great at scheduling delivery. Mine had some minor damage on the lower right bezel but to save 800 bucks it was worth it. You can only notice if you get up and close to the TV and are staring at it.

The LG would be my second choice. However the one I picked out for my sister was more of an entry level TV, the Panasonic I own is more of a high end TV. It retails for about 1800 new.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00752VKFA/ref=oh_details_o07_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They have been going up in price but for 1100 it's a good deal.

However if you wanna save a bit more; the 50" is much cheaper.

www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00752VKU0/ref=dp_olp_used?ie=UTF8&condition=used

I plan to buy a second one of these TVs when I move and have the money, probably the 50" due to the price difference. I work as a freelance Colorist and Editor and this TV is much cheaper than a calibrated production monitor and with the THX Video setting is about 98% color accurate.

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Blu3V3nom07

@blu3v3nom07 said:

@subject2change said:

@joker369 said:

I own a 55" Panasonic.

@falserelic said:

Sony...

The panasonic is the best TV i have owned or seen in person. I would recommend if you are buying used or refurbed make sure it's from AMAZON WAREHOUSE, they are good at returns if something is wrong. They also are great at scheduling delivery. Mine had some minor damage on the lower right bezel but to save 800 bucks it was worth it. You can only notice if you get up and close to the TV and are staring at it.

The LG would be my second choice. However the one I picked out for my sister was more of an entry level TV, the Panasonic I own is more of a high end TV. It retails for about 1800 new.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00752VKFA/ref=oh_details_o07_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They have been going up in price but for 1100 it's a good deal.

However if you wanna save a bit more; the 50" is much cheaper.

www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00752VKU0/ref=dp_olp_used?ie=UTF8&condition=used

I plan to buy a second one of these TVs when I move and have the money, probably the 50" due to the price difference. I work as a freelance Colorist and Editor and this TV is much cheaper than a calibrated production monitor and with the THX Video setting is about 98% color accurate.

Aw man. I just checked and that Panasonic plasma probably doesn't fit my wall as much.. It seems that plasmas are actually wider and heavier than I expected.. Still, I'm loving the Panasonic love here. That THX rating seems absurdly awesome. :O..

I'll keep Amazon Warehouse Deals in mind, though.Thanks!

For fun, this is the set that I've been eying a bit. It fits my wall, it turns out! :D

http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-TC-L58E60-58-Inch-1080p-120Hz/dp/B00B59NX54/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pd_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=MUXQ4NACUNVH&coliid=I3595AX8CFT18Y

I think its mighty nice, but I'm really looking for a nice balance between price, weight, and width. If I have to drop a size, I think I might. Or even jump to another brand, I suppose. Its a fine increase from my bland 32" Westinghouse LCD. That's half a shoe away from bottom of the barrel, really.

subject2change

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's pretty heavy, think it said about 95lbs on the Amazon invoice. It's a gorgeous TV and I am sure you'll be happy with the one you are eyeing.

The 50" will most likely fit your wall, and it's a bit cheaper. I went from 40" to 55" and was in awe of the size difference. Playing games has been great on it, I need to pick up some 3D Glasses to give that a shot and I can't wait for Hockey season to come to experience sports on this thing.

Panasonic is the way to go currently. At least in my opinion.

maddman60620

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

If you want top of the line high-end get a Samsung.... Bang for your buck value get a Vizio.... apps & net surfing on TVs are hit or miss just like any modern day electronic.....

All the TVs i own are Vizio, its a great looking brand with nice picture and the price doesn't break the bank.....

My bro got a Samsung LED smart tv a few weeks ago and it's pretty sweet with the clear motion which looks weird at first (makes things look like its moving too fast or like its a behide the scenes pre-post video) you can use your smartphone to control it smartglass style via wifi...

Everything else out there is over-priced and/or not that great of a product compared to those two companies....

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@blu3v3nom07: You can't really go wrong with anything these days. Plasmas are still your best option for gaming unless you're getting a really high end LED and Panasonic still makes the best plasmas. I recently bought a Panasonic TC-P50S60. It's their midrange plasma but still the image quality is comparable to their high end stuff. It just doesn't have all the bells and whistles that you probably don't want anyway.

Plasmas are a much better value than LEDs and I'm not sure what the deal with your wall is but if you're able to mount a LED you should be able to mount a plasma. You're going to need to find a stud to mount it anyway and Plasmas aren't that heavy that you'll have problems. Unless you already have the wall mount installed and it's not rated high enough.

If you're set on an LED don't just look at Panasonics. They're really no better than anything else. Samsungs are probably the best value wise.

oldenglishc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Add me to team Panasonic plasma. If it was legally allowed in my state I would marry my TC-55.

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@blu3v3nom07: You can't really go wrong with anything these days. Plasmas are still your best option for gaming unless you're getting a really high end LED and Panasonic still makes the best plasmas. I recently bought a Panasonic TC-P50S60. It's their midrange plasma but still the image quality is comparable to their high end stuff. It just doesn't have all the bells and whistles that you probably don't want anyway.

Plasmas are a much better value than LEDs and I'm not sure what the deal with your wall is but if you're able to mount a LED you should be able to mount a plasma. You're going to need to find a stud to mount it anyway and Plasmas aren't that heavy that you'll have problems. Unless you already have the wall mount installed and it's not rated high enough.

If you're set on an LED don't just look at Panasonics. They're really no better than anything else. Samsungs are probably the best value wise.

It is true, I am trying to stay away from plasmas just a bit. I don't really want to replace it again for a good long while from now. So that's my bit with plasma. I just found out that my cousin replaced her old plasma because it was too expensive to fix the gas. I'm not even sure what display tech she got on her new set, but I spose. I'm sure the black-levels are good for movies, but that's okay.

I am looking at all the prices, really. Like Samsung is $300 more expensive, but two inches bigger. (cool) Although, its only .1 inches wider, dimension-wise. @bigjeffrey If anything I'm looking at Vizio a bit more now since its $200 cheaper than that Panasonic, and two inches bigger as well. Although it is 3.9 inches wider.. Boring stuff, I'm sure.

oldenglishc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hunkulese said:

It is true, I am trying to stay away from plasmas just a bit. I don't really want to replace it again for a good long while from now. So that's my bit with plasma. I just found out that my cousin replaced her old plasma because it was too expensive to fix the gas. I'm not even sure what display tech she got on her new set, but I spose. I'm sure the black-levels are good for movies, but that's okay.

I am looking at all the prices, really. Like Samsung is $300 more expensive, but two inches bigger. (cool) Although, its only .1 inches wider, dimension-wise. @bigjeffrey If anything I'm looking at Vizio a bit more now since its $200 cheaper than that Panasonic, and two inches bigger as well. Although it is 3.9 inches wider.. Boring stuff, I'm sure.

"fixing the gas" on a plasma TV is an urban legend. Plasma TVs retain their full brightness just as long as LCDs.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#18  Edited By Sooty

Panasonic make the best TVs now that Pioneer called it quits, although I believe Pioneer are responsible for why Panasonic plasmas are so damn good, as Panasonic bought a lot of their patents. The best plasma for a while was the Pioneer Kuro, but their insane price led to them being short-lived, despite being universally praised.

Samsung are not even in the same league. Their plasmas are ass, same with LG, I bought a high-ish end LG plasma (demoted to kitchen TV) and the black levels are absolutely terrible, my Panasonic on the other hand looks almost like it's turned off when the screen is showing dark imagery, which makes horror games, movies and anything with space in it, to actually be nice to look at instead of a grey mush. The LG also had terrible reflection issues which made dark scenes even worse as I could see myself and objects, my Panasonic however shows zero reflections which surprised me.

Never underestimate how important good black levels are. I'd rather have a 720P TV with excellent black levels than one that is 1080P and just looks grey and mushy in comparison. It drives me insane. (note: good black levels are easy to see when your TV is displaying mostly dark imagery, e.g. a space scene, or dark night time scene, if it just looks grey and mushy then I feel your pain)

Ravelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I both have a Sony Bravia and a LG television and both are great.

JouselDelka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Does an LCD Samsung monitor count?

HerbieBug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have had best experiences with Sony and Samsung. Interesting the poll results are consistent with my own positive tv history.

jimmyfenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My house hold have only had Sony and Samsung TV`s. There pretty nifty

plasticstars

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've been rocking a 20-something inch Samsung LCD for the past three years or so. I like everything about it except for the terribly inconsistent backlight. A dark room in a game means that I can barely see anything going on in the top third of the screen, which is pretty annoying. Apart from that it actually has excellent picture quality, but I've gotten to the point where it bothers me enough to find a replacement.

Vanick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have a 42 inch Panasonic plasma that I got when the 360 launched and it still works perfectly. I had a 50 inch Samsung 3D plasma that I really liked but after only about a year of owning it it starting getting really bad lines of pixels all across the screen. When it finally died last year I got a 50 inch Panasonic 3D plasma and so far it's working pretty great. If I ever have to buy a new tv I would probably go with a Panasonic just from personal experience.

RobotHamster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#25  Edited By RobotHamster

Vizio!!

sins_of_mosin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

Got a Sony in 2005. A LG in 2012. I did a lot of research and the LG was a steal at under $500 thanks to price matching. I would rank brands as Samsung first, LG second and thats all you need.

LED, 120hz, and 1080p.. rock on.

Deadlydog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

JVC is the shit but my Samsung monitor is also the shit.

Metric_Outlaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 8

The Wirecutter did a pretty good article about this a few weeks ago. They decided on this Vizio TV. I have a similar VIzio television but after 3 years it stopped responding to TV remotes. They aren't the greatest brand but they're good if you live on a budget.

angouri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have an Acer 1080p TV I picked up on Amazon. Couldn't be happier. 3 HDMI + component = just enough. Sad to think I'll need to reconfigure inputs for next gen...

Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Samsung

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.