Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Terminator Salvation

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released May 19, 2009

Terminator Salvation is a cover-based third-person shooter that focuses on events leading up to the film by the same name.

Terminator Salvation is awesome, maybe a little too XTREME

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

Edited By mike

This post is full of major spoilers, read at your own risk.

So I just got back from seeing this flick, and I have to admit - it was a lot better than I thought it was going to be. It was impressive in many ways, and I thought it really tied everything together well while also providing a bit of fan service to followers of the series like myself. The casting was brilliant, including the likes of Michael Ironside as the resistance commander, and of course the gruff, nearly unintelligible voice of Batman makes an appearance as Christian Bale assumes the role of resistance leader John Connor. I feel like nearly all of the parts were well cast, the only real disappointment in this area was that Common didn't have more screen time.

The action was fast and furious...pardon the pun, but this is one aspect of the film that kind of bugged me. Don't get me wrong, the special effects were downright incredible, but at times I felt like the director was playing to the adolescent male XTREEEEMMME crowd with over the top stunts and ridiculous chase scenes. Some of the terminator motorcycle stuff could have been cut out completely and I think the film would have been better for it, but oh well. For the most part the action scenes were very well done.

As a fan of the Terminator series since the first film in the early 1980's, I think that Salvation did the series justice and most importantly sets the stage for even more Terminator movies in the hopefully near future. Since I'm tired of writing sentences, here are some bullet points of things I liked and disliked about the movie:

Things that were the shit:

• Special Effects - possibly some of the best I've seen in film to date
    • Sound - perfect in every way, guns and explosions sound real and are ear-piercingly loud
    • Costumes - someone spent a lot of time creating costumes for the characters in this film, and it shows. Excellent.
    • Casting - as I said above, utterly brilliant.
    • Story - Fantastic. Lots of tie-ins to the previous two Terminator movies, including gems like showing how John Connor got his scar and the origins of the first cybernetic Terminator.
    • The appearance of quasi-Arnold in his nude T800 glory.
    • I think the Guns n Roses song from T2: Judgment Day made a reappearance in Salvation, although I haven't seen T2 in awhile so I can't be sure.

Things that were bullshit:

• "Xtreme" stunts that seemed more suited to the next The Fast and The Furious sequel than a Terminator flick.
    • Forced lines from past movies "Come with me if you want to live" and such that just made me roll my eyes and really ruined the immersion factor.
    • Some parts of the story seemed awfully obvious...like the fact that Marcus Wright turns out to be a Terminator. They really buried the lead with this one.
    • The PG-13 rating. This movie should have been R through and through...I wanted to see Terminators ripping bodies apart and smashing heads, not just tossing dudes around into random walls and what not.

That's about it. 5/5 Stars, I will be seeing this in theaters again soon, probably later today.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By mike

This post is full of major spoilers, read at your own risk.

So I just got back from seeing this flick, and I have to admit - it was a lot better than I thought it was going to be. It was impressive in many ways, and I thought it really tied everything together well while also providing a bit of fan service to followers of the series like myself. The casting was brilliant, including the likes of Michael Ironside as the resistance commander, and of course the gruff, nearly unintelligible voice of Batman makes an appearance as Christian Bale assumes the role of resistance leader John Connor. I feel like nearly all of the parts were well cast, the only real disappointment in this area was that Common didn't have more screen time.

The action was fast and furious...pardon the pun, but this is one aspect of the film that kind of bugged me. Don't get me wrong, the special effects were downright incredible, but at times I felt like the director was playing to the adolescent male XTREEEEMMME crowd with over the top stunts and ridiculous chase scenes. Some of the terminator motorcycle stuff could have been cut out completely and I think the film would have been better for it, but oh well. For the most part the action scenes were very well done.

As a fan of the Terminator series since the first film in the early 1980's, I think that Salvation did the series justice and most importantly sets the stage for even more Terminator movies in the hopefully near future. Since I'm tired of writing sentences, here are some bullet points of things I liked and disliked about the movie:

Things that were the shit:

• Special Effects - possibly some of the best I've seen in film to date
    • Sound - perfect in every way, guns and explosions sound real and are ear-piercingly loud
    • Costumes - someone spent a lot of time creating costumes for the characters in this film, and it shows. Excellent.
    • Casting - as I said above, utterly brilliant.
    • Story - Fantastic. Lots of tie-ins to the previous two Terminator movies, including gems like showing how John Connor got his scar and the origins of the first cybernetic Terminator.
    • The appearance of quasi-Arnold in his nude T800 glory.
    • I think the Guns n Roses song from T2: Judgment Day made a reappearance in Salvation, although I haven't seen T2 in awhile so I can't be sure.

Things that were bullshit:

• "Xtreme" stunts that seemed more suited to the next The Fast and The Furious sequel than a Terminator flick.
    • Forced lines from past movies "Come with me if you want to live" and such that just made me roll my eyes and really ruined the immersion factor.
    • Some parts of the story seemed awfully obvious...like the fact that Marcus Wright turns out to be a Terminator. They really buried the lead with this one.
    • The PG-13 rating. This movie should have been R through and through...I wanted to see Terminators ripping bodies apart and smashing heads, not just tossing dudes around into random walls and what not.

That's about it. 5/5 Stars, I will be seeing this in theaters again soon, probably later today.

turbomonkey138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By turbomonkey138

Yay

Alexander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By Alexander

Big Terminator fan myself, really looking forward to seeing this one.

strangeling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 50

#5  Edited By strangeling

I agree, good movie overall.

I had forgotten who the director was until I saw his name in the opening credits, and immediately thought "oh no."  It's "Mc G." You know, the guy who did the Charlie's Angels movies.  He did good with it though.

The only really lousy thing that stood out to me was the product placement.
    It's 2018 and everything has been blown to hell, but I am John Connor, and I will hack your door with my pristine Sony VAIO branded handheld computer.
    - - - - - - - -
    I'd also like to add, that while it was "obvious" Marcus was a terminator (anyone who saw a trailer for the movie would have a pretty good idea), I found his character to be very compelling.  I thought his part was done incredibly well.
    Mootalstrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By Mootalstrike

Yeah, I also thought it turned out better than i expected.

LiveOrDie1212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By LiveOrDie1212

got bored half-way through. kept asking myself when will this movie ever gonna end and thought the ending was too cheesy for a Terminator movie. I also thought the Special Effect wasn't that amazing. overall, if i had to grade this movie, i'd give it a C-

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By TheGreatGuero

Personally, I didn't like it. Clearly it was an expensive, big-budget movie, with quite a big cast too, however I still think overall that neither were of these things were put to very good use. Let me come right out and get this out of the way: I thought this new Terminator with a human heart was a really stupid idea. The entire movie basically ends up focusing around this guy and I think it does far more damage than good. People have been praising his performance, but I don't think it's anything I'd make a fuss about. Yeah, maybe it's a difficult role to play a man that's torn between being a man and a machine, but what can ya do? It's a stupid idea for a Terminator to begin with. It's a cheesy concept, and it makes for one heck of a cheesy ending. I think the worst part of it is that you can totally see it coming. As soon as you see Bale go down after fighting Arnold, it's totally apparent what's going to happen shortly later and for me that was almost unbearable to watch. Oh, what have you done to the Terminator series?!

I also like how you said Christian Bale "makes an appearance" because well... he really didn't get nearly as much screen-time in the movie as you'd expect. I'm not so sure that his lack of presence mattered all that much, though it did cause the movie to put much more focus on this new dumb Terminator. While I have nothing against Bale, I really felt he overacted quite a bit throughout the movie. Perhaps his performance would have been more appreciated if the rest of the film backed up this extreme level of motion he was trying to portray.

Additionally, I felt the director's work was pretty amateurish at times. I found it really lame how each time a Terminator dies in the movie, we get a close-up of its face and get to watch it's red eyes turn to black. That just comes off as a rookie move to me. Once or twice? Fine. Dude does it like 5 times. Also... with the one that attacks Bale after the first helicopter crash (which I thought was a pretty cool shot, I'll admit), you see Bale kill it with that gun turret. It's gotta be dead. He walks up to it, it's still alive and he puts a couple bullets in its head to end it, then we see the eyes turn off. It was unnecessary that first time, even more unnecessary the next several times. The director could throw together some pretty decent action scenes with a lot of heavy special effects, but I didn't find most of the scenes to be that impressive or memorable. I also agree that the movie probably could have done without most of the motorcycle scenes. Oh, and I think Star was the little girl's name, right? I thought it was amusingly bad when Reese explained that "she doesn't talk". Ultimately, I felt that was a really lazy move by the writers. Let's include a minor character and since she doesn't really have any importance to the story, let's just make her not talk so we don't even have to worry about it.

Okay, so I've ripped the movie quite a bit and now will mention a few things that I really liked about it. First of all, Arnold's appearance was probably the highlight of the film for me. Yeah, it wasn't really him, but they did a totally amazing job recreating him with special effects. Down to the proper facial expressions and reactions and everything. That was cool. I also thought the kid they chose to play Reese looked an awful lot like him. Maybe I could be wrong about that, afterall it's been a while since I've seen the original, but as far as my memory could tell, the resemblance was solid. I liked some of the actors they chose for the movie, such as Helena Bonham Carter and Splinter Cell's own Michael Ironside, but I don't feel that they had big enough roles to really bring much to the movie. The special effects, however, were good throughout.

Here's my biggest issue with the movie. Not only is it completely unnecessary, it does damage to the backstory that James Cameron laid out for us in the first 2 films. Prior to Salvation, we knew that John Connor would become the leader of the resistance against Skynet and the Terminators. We knew he would come in contact with the use of time travel and that he'd use it to send Terminators back in time. We knew he would learn how to reprogram Terminators to use them for good, like in Terminator 2. However, in Terminator Salvation, it's this other Terminator that ends up being the main hero. It diminishes what we knew of John Connor. I feel the details are something that perhaps would have been better left to our own imagination. Now that we know exactly how things went down, we find out that it's less interesting and John Connor doesn't quite end up being as important to the resistance as we would have thought. Afterall, if it wasn't for this lame new Terminator, John would not have succeeded. Maybe I'm being too critical of this aspect. Perhaps it's worth noting how John is able to have this kind of relationship with a Terminator and is able to use them to his aid, afterall, he is only human. Still, I'm not entirely impressed with how the world turned out to be post-Judgment Day. In all honesty, I've really struggled writing this last paragraph. Maybe I've been too critical of the movie and need to give it a second chance. Perhaps I was too quick to condemn this new Terminator. I was also kind of bothered by the fact that there's no reference to time travel at all in the movie, but considering that it probably doesn't happen until 10 years later, why would they include that? Besides, it's Skynet that discovers time travel first, not the humans. Clearly that'll be the focus of the next installment, if they are to continue the series. Well, even if I can learn to forgive the story of Salvation, the execution of it didn't particularly impress me and I don't know if I'll ever be too fond of this human-heart Terminator.

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9  Edited By WilliamRLBaker

I didn't like Terminator Salvation because they tried to add too much story and personal relationships between characters when its not needed, there are a few other things like CGI arnold that looked like total crap but other then that they tried to add too much to what never really had large doses or story to begin with.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By CL60

I hated the fact that instead of actually KILLING they just threw everybody into walls.

ArchScabby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By ArchScabby
    CL60 said:
    I hated the fact that instead of actually KILLING they just threw everybody into walls.
    too bad those walls didn't have a rosebush on them.
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#12  Edited By jakob187

MB...the Terminators never really ripped people apart and such in the past movies.

Blew kneecaps out with bullets?  Yes.
    Cut off their skin to show the metal endoskeleton?  Yes.
    Pierced someone's head without us seeing it, then we see them hanging there?  Yes.

Other than that, all we ever saw were people getting thrown into walls and massive stunt pieces.  Really, there's no reason in my mind why past movies were even rated R besides possibly language.  =  /

However, it's good to know the movie kicks ass.  I'm gonna have to so see it.

Also, WHY would they be killing the people?  They need them alive in order to use their skin on the T-800s.  Has no one even thought about that?  You can't put the dead skin over the T-800s, as it would then be dead skin and it would rot away.  Using the skin from live humans would allow it to be fresher and have a better chance of transfer.

I've had a LOT of years to think about all this shit.
    Lowbrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Lowbrow

****spoilers!*****

I loved the movie, but saw the plot twist a mile away.

The shut down signal was a trap? No shit.

Infiltration Terminator designed to lead John Connor to Skynet to kill him? No shit.

Also, I felt like there  were some  plot holes, but if anyone can explain this to me, maybe I missed it, I would be grateful.

Skynet's Kill list.

Number one on their list was Kyle Reese. Now, did Skynet put him at the top because it already knew he will become John's father, and if so, how? It seems like Skynet knows a fuck load about John Connor, almost as if it knew that he would eventually become the leader of the resistance... but no terminator had  yet even been sent back in time, how the fuck did they know?

Or is it the kind of thing where they put him at the top of the list so that the resistance would try to find him to find out who he was and why a civilian was the first on the list... I didnt get that part.

Also, Skynet central was defended as fuck. I know that Marcus shut down the defenses, but after Connor got into Skynet central why the hell didnt Skynet just turn them all back on to prevent the cavalry coming in for the rescue....

If someone could explain these things to me, I would be grateful.

EDIT: Oh yea and btw, wasn't Arnold's Model a T101?

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#14  Edited By jakob187
    @Lowbrow: Trying to make heads or tails of the Terminator canon this late in the game can be very difficult.  Here's what I can try to help you with, even though I haven't seen the movie:
    1. The Kill List is an issue that cannot properly be examined or explained because you are dealing with time warps and the laws that can or cannot apply to them.  The same kind of questions can come up in a franchise like Back to the Future.  However, if I had to guess why Kyle and John were on the top of the list, it would probably be because (from what I'm to understand) John Connor never shuts the fuck up about how he's supposed to be the leader of the Resistance, and how Kyle is his father, and this and that and blah blah blah and yadda yadda yadda.  Maybe I'm incorrect on that, I'm not sure.  Nonetheless, with no Terminators having gone back in the past as far as we know of, there's no real explanation for it which I can clearly see.
    2. Arnold's model of Terminator is a commonly misassumed ordeal.  In Terminator 1 and 2, he is a T-800 model 101.  In Terminator 3, he is a T-850 model 101.  However, when he refers to himself, he'll say he is a T-101.  That simply means his model number.  He is still a T-800 or T-850.
    3. I haven't seen the movie yet, so I can't try to make any judgments about the Skynet Central defense system off the top of my head without knowing how they are shut down.

Also, something I want to point out for all the people that have been complaining about the PG-13 rating.  From the Wikipedia page, it says that only two cuts were made to achieve a PG-13 rating.  One of the cuts was a scene where Marcus stabs a thug to death with a screwdriver, and another was Moon Bloodgood topless.  Other than that, everything was exactly how it was meant to be.  Honestly, those cuts aren't a huge deal.

Although I wouldn't mind seeing Moon Bloodgood topless...
    LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#15  Edited By LiquidPrince

When fake Arnold appeared I was like DUDE WHAT!?!

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, the Marcus Wright = Terminator twist was badly telegraphed by the trailers. They should have left the plot somewhat ambiguous in the trailers and kept that as a concealed subplot for the film.

Also, I definitely think it's worth seeing. I don't know if it's good enough to completely redeem the franchise after T3 (which I hated), but it certainly takes the series into a better direction.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By mike
    Staff said:
    Has been deleted..
    Exactly...this is why the movie should have been rated R. If a Terminator grabbed a human, why wouldn't it just start crushing things instead of throwing the guy around into random walls?
    PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#18  Edited By PureRok

I agree with the Spoony One, and I haven't even seen the movie.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By mike
    Lowbrow said:
    ****spoilers!*****I loved the movie, but saw the plot twist a mile away.The shut down signal was a trap? No shit. ... [more]
    Since at some point Skynet gains the ability to time travel at least into the past, and possibly into the future as well, I'm guessing that Skynet would have sent information back in time to itself about Kyle Reese and John Connor.

The whole time travel aspect of these films is a very convenient way to explain away plotholes, too. You know, I just watched Terminator and T2: Judgment Day today. Regarding the battle scenes set in the future...both sides were fighting with laser weapons and not traditional firearms like are seen in Salvation. Now, don't get me wrong, I definitely prefer the gritty realism of black power based weapons, but at what point does Skynet invent  both time travel and laser guns? It's crazy. It seems like it didn't take them very long to develop these technologies.
    Lowbrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Lowbrow
    @MB:

I think that the movie is set some years before the invention of the Plasma technology used.

Hopefully for the next movies the resistance pilfers some of those weapons... must make killing the metal fuckers a bit easier.
    VWGTI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#22  Edited By VWGTI
    @MB:

It's good to hear a Terminator fan say good things about this movie. It seems that everything I've been reading elsewhere has been way too harsh. I'm checking out this movie tonight after work and after reading this I'm excited again.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.