Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Terraria

Game » consists of 24 releases. Released May 16, 2011

The first major 2D entry into the world of "open world" sandbox action-adventure games, Terraria is inspired by 16-bit platformers and allows players to mine for ores, craft new equipment, and fight monstrous bosses in a large procedurally-generated world.

So ya this game is 2.50.

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By The_Laughing_Man

So ya this game is super cheap right now on steam 

Its kinda like minecraft..kinda err..well its super hard to explain. The game came out a bit ago and the dudes making it have gone crazy adding stuff. Constant updates more content non stop. See below for their next patch that well..I do think game out today.   

I have played a nice bit of it and enjoyed it a lot!  From the looks of it the makers have lots of ideas and will keep rolling out the updates. 
    nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#2  Edited By nintendoeats

I picked it up when they accidentally put it on sale for 2.50 a while ago. I proceeded to spend a shit-ton of time playing it.

It was neat, and I was proud of what I build, but the game is as free-form as it first appears. If you want to get any cool stuff then you have to do VERY specific things, many of which are not very much fun.

If you are like me and want to spend a dozen hours developing an elaborate mining system, then there is a good time to be had in here. Just don't expect Bethesda levels of freedom.

Sorry, this doesn't qualify as thread hijacking does it?

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @nintendoeats said:

I picked it up when they accidentally put it on sale for 2.50 a while ago. I proceeded to spend a shit-ton of time playing it.

It was neat, and I was proud of what I build, but the game is as free-form as it first appears. If you want to get any cool stuff then you have to do VERY specific things, many of which are not very much fun.

If you are like me and want to spend a dozen hours developing an elaborate mining system, then there is a good time to be had in here. Just don't expect Bethesda levels of freedom.

Sorry, this doesn't qualify as thread hijacking does it?

Nope it does not count as thread jacking. Getting stuff can take time. But its fun to slap around bosses with high level gear later on. 
    Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4  Edited By Dalai

My body is ready... for more Terraria.

For $2.50, it's a goddamn steal! And the update is supposed to be substantial. I can't wait to start mining for craft again.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5  Edited By MrKlorox

I paid 5 and got nearly 70 hours in it a while back. Totally worth it at that price, and mega worth it at this one. I like it a lot more than minecraft and was able to actually get into it. I was thinking about starting a new world when this came out, but I think I'll wait a few weeks in case there's a quick patch to fix things they might have missed or balance tweaks with all this new content.

breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#6  Edited By breadfan

That's a whole lot of awesome, for a whole lot of cheap.

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By nintendoeats

@Dalai: My issue isn't that it takes time to get stuff. What bugs me is that you have to play in a specific way. I spent ages exploring horizontally, but you literally can't do anything until you mine. Then after a little while mining you can't do anything until you go kill things. Then you have to spend a bunch of time in Hell. Then you have to go kill something else. For a game that could be about doing your own thing, it seems awfully linear.

jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

#8  Edited By jacksukeru

Steam says that I've played 28 hours of this game, and I'm pretty sure those hours were just spent on two separate 14 hour occasions...

I'm a little averse to going back, mainly because all of those hours were spent in a world that my friend hosted so I won't be able to check out my/our sweet hilltop house with rooftop greenhouse and adjacent skycastle without dragging him back as well.

Then again that might not be too hard :)

Edit: Ok make that 30 hours played.

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By SSully

I put about 60 hours into this game and I regret nothing. Me and a buddy built some great shit, went on some little adventures and it was a lot of fun. I want to jump back in for the new update, but I dont know if this game can still hold my attention. It gets a bit old after awhile.

PeasantAbuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By PeasantAbuse

That update looks awesome, I need to convince my friends to start playing this again.

Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11  Edited By Dalai

@nintendoeats said:

@Dalai: My issue isn't that it takes time to get stuff. What bugs me is that you have to play in a specific way. I spent ages exploring horizontally, but you literally can't do anything until you mine. Then after a little while mining you can't do anything until you go kill things. Then you have to spend a bunch of time in Hell. Then you have to go kill something else. For a game that could be about doing your own thing, it seems awfully linear.

I think you replied to the wrong duder, but I'll try to respond.

You're right about the game limiting what you can do until you beat the various bosses. There is a level of progression in the game that might be annoying to some who are looking for a pure sandbox, but I think they tried to add progression to make it an actual game. The ultimate reward at the end is the freedom to do what you want afterwards without boundaries.

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By nintendoeats

@Dalai: So I did. Mis-click fail :)

It's a weird mix of sandbox and linearity, and I can see how somebody could really enjoy what the game actually is. It just wasn't quite what I wanted it to be.

Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By Pinworm45

great game, by far worth 2.50.

Trilogy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#14  Edited By Trilogy

Alright terraria... I give. I've never played it yet and its been a while since I've been into minecraft. This seems like as good as time as any to try it out.

NOBODY TRY TO STOP ME! I'M A WILD MAN ABOUT TO DROP 2.50 ...I'M OUT OF CONTROL! NO SUDDEN MOVEMENTS!

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By MrKlorox
    Avatar image for captaintightpants
    CaptainTightPants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I only played it for a few hours when I first got it but the game is absolutely worth it at full price as well.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.