Terraria coming to XBLA and PSN with new content

#1 Posted by bibamatt (1089 posts) -

Holy shit! Terraria is coming to consoles with "brand new content". They haven't announced any other details but still... I didn't expect this. It's just such a PC-ass PC game. I can't image playing it with a controller (does the PC version even support controllers?). I mean, jumping around and hitting stuff would be fine (actually, great!) with a controller, but the building stuff seems very mouse-centric.

It's amazing news that this might become something bigger, though. Despite Terraria being playable on pretty much any PC, it's never been available on Mac (meaning a few of my friends have been unable to play it - and they really want to!) and XBLA and PSN releases normally receive a bit of a PR boost when released. Fantastic stuff, I say.

#2 Posted by OtakuGamer (1244 posts) -

I was wondering the same when they announced Minecraft for the 360 but that turned out ok. I can only hope the same applies with this one. Can't wait!

#3 Posted by Phatmac (5726 posts) -

Cool for console folks. I've had my fun with Terreria already.

#4 Posted by Make_Me_Mad (3103 posts) -

Well, here's hoping the modding community adds the new content into the PC version of the game pretty quickly, then.

#5 Posted by Aishan (1017 posts) -

I really don't see how the building aspect will work well with a controller, the perspective makes it manageable in Minecraft, but on a 2D side-scroller? I don't know.

#6 Posted by bibamatt (1089 posts) -

@Make_Me_Mad: I'm sure the PC version will be updated to match the console version. They've been pretty good with updates so far. Unless, by new content, they mean 'stuff that will make the game work/be more fun with a controller'.

#7 Posted by Make_Me_Mad (3103 posts) -
@bibamatt
Have they gone back to updating it, then?  Last word I recall from the developers was basically that they were done after the 1.1 patch.
#8 Posted by bibamatt (1089 posts) -

@Make_Me_Mad: Oh, I dunno. I must've missed that!

#9 Posted by Make_Me_Mad (3103 posts) -
@bibamatt: Yeah, post 1.1 they made a forum update stating that they'd decided it was time to move on and that the game had seen its last major update.  To my knowledge that was the last thing any of them deigned to say about the game, so I imagine that it'll be up to whatever community is left to do the job if they want whatever the console version includes.
#10 Posted by SomeDeliCook (2341 posts) -

How would this even work? It never works when a joystick tries to simulate a mouse cursor's movement, its way too small and precise.

#11 Posted by NaDannMaGoGo (338 posts) -

@SomeDeliCook said:

How would this even work? It never works when a joystick tries to simulate a mouse cursor's movement, its way too small and precise.

Well I dunno how they'll do it but I cannot imagine them coming up with a control scheme that is even remotely as effective as keyboard/mouse controls.

Kinda surprised by this, especially considering the already mentioned "supposed" development stop.

#12 Posted by eroticfishcake (7786 posts) -

That's cool I guess? Bit of an odd decision since control wise I don't see it working as well with a M+KB though I reckon they would probably have to change the entire UI if that's the case. Furthermore, I thought they stopped development for it? As for the new content I hope PC users can get it as well since that'll be nice. Whatever the case I had fun with Terraria but I don't particularly feel the need to come back.

#13 Posted by cmblasko (1253 posts) -

As long as that new content makes its way towards the PC version at some point, I'm all for it. Love Terraria.

#14 Edited by JoeyRavn (4977 posts) -

Meh. They didn't add Steamworks to the PC version like they said they would. I only hope that this announcement means that the game on PC will start getting new updates. I doubt it, though.

#15 Posted by RE_Player1 (7561 posts) -

If it's $10 or less I'll buy it again on PSN.

#16 Posted by CptBedlam (4453 posts) -

Ha! Jeff was wrong, Brad was right.

And I don't care at all about the game. ;)

#17 Posted by laserbolts (5324 posts) -

I'll buy Terraria for XBLA. I never got a chance to play it yet and I really enjoy minecraft so this is pretty awesome.

#18 Edited by Death_Burnout (3797 posts) -

ZzzzZ...Starbound....Zzzz huh!? wha?

Yeah I've had enough of Terraria...I literally never wan't to touch that game again. I just simply can't wait for Starbound though.

#19 Posted by Daiphyer (1338 posts) -

I am really excited about this as someone who couldn't play Terreria.

#20 Edited by ervonymous (1297 posts) -

@Death_Burnout: They haven't shown much yet but all of it has been.. more of the same. But bigger. And I can't wait either.

Running over 1 block steps.

#21 Posted by Cincaid (2956 posts) -

As long as the controls aren't wonky, this is a day one purchase for me.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.