Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion

Game » consists of 31 releases. Released Mar 20, 2006

Travel the continent of Tamriel, defend the land against Oblivion's Daedra hordes, and help fill the empty throne of Cyrodiil in the fourth installment of the Elder Scrolls series.

Thieves' Guild/Dark Brotherhood Question

danielkempster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By danielkempster

Right, I'll try and keep this short. I've picked Oblivion up again. In the past I've played a melee character, but this time I'm opting to go down the stealth route. My plan is to work my way through both the Thieves' Guild and the Dark Brotherhood quest lines. I just want seasoned Oblivion vets to clear up a concern I have. 

My question is, would embarking on the Dark Brotherhood quest line have a negative impact on my relationship with the Thieves' Guild? If so, how? The doyen's assertion that they're "not the Brotherhood" has made me kind of apprehensive about attempting both quest lines in tandem. Any and all spoiler-free advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance, guys.

jkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By jkz

It's been a while, but I can say with a good degree of certainty that I finished the Dark Brotherhood, and then went on to do the Thieve's guild directly afterwards. I don't see any reason why, in your experience, it should be any different. 

In fact, I'm pretty sure that, at one point, I was at different points in all of the guild quest-lines at the same time.

ReyGitano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 10

#3  Edited By ReyGitano

My memories of Oblivion are that nothing effects your ability to do anything else, unlike the Fallout games.

Andheez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 8

#4  Edited By Andheez

Pretty sure I ran through them all

butano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#5  Edited By butano

I haven't played Oblivion for a while, but I do know that I finished almost every guild quest possible on my first run (Fighter's Guild mission glitched on me, and I was never able to finish it). I think I did Thieves Guild first, and then Dark Brotherhood afterwards. I don't think any of them affect the outcome of any others, unlike Morrowind or Fallout.

Avatar image for theseductivemoose
    TheSeductiveMoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By TheSeductiveMoose

The factions aren't especially complex in Oblivion, so no.

Demyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By Demyx
    @SlashseveN303 said:
    " My memories of Oblivion are that nothing effects your ability to do anything else, unlike the Fallout games. "
    Not entirely true. In one guild quest, you have to kill a mages guild member, so anyone in the mages guild is gonna get kicked out. I think it is the thieves guild.
    Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By Hamz

You should be fine. None of the guild quests for the Thieves or Dark Brotherhood have any serious impact on your standing with either guild.

Lukeweizer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Lukeweizer
    @SlashseveN303 said:
    " My memories of Oblivion are that nothing effects your ability to do anything else, unlike the Fallout games. "
    Agreed. From what I could remember, no guild activity impacted another guild.
    august

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#10  Edited By august
    @Demyx said:
    " @SlashseveN303 said:
    Not entirely true. In one guild quest, you have to kill a mages guild member, so anyone in the mages guild is gonna get kicked out. I think it is the thieves guild. "
    Uh, are you sure about that? Assassination doesn't sound like Thieves' Guild's style.
    NinjaInfoCards

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By NinjaInfoCards

All of the guilds are mutually compatible - you can finish any of their quests and quest lines in any order without little to no negative effect on your standing. However, Dark Brotherhood and Thieves' Guild quests to give you infamy, which can affect NPCs dispositions, among other things.

ReyGitano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#12  Edited By ReyGitano
    @august said:
    " @Demyx said:
    " @SlashseveN303 said:
    Not entirely true. In one guild quest, you have to kill a mages guild member, so anyone in the mages guild is gonna get kicked out. I think it is the thieves guild. "
    Uh, are you sure about that? Assassination doesn't sound like Thieves' Guild's style. "
    Yeah. I did everything in that game there was to be done, and don't remember anything like that.
    natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#13  Edited By natetodamax

I'm pretty sure you'll be fine. I'm almost certain that for one of my characters I completed both of those guilds with no problem.

vaiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

#14  Edited By vaiz

To clear up the 'last I checked' and 'pretty sure's, the definitive answer is yes, you can do them in tandem. Almost nothing you can do in that game, quest wise, effects anything else you can do in that game, quest wise. Period.

Tonic7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Tonic7

I finished every major factions' questline and was the leader of them all before it was said and done. No problemo.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By AlexW00d

I completed all 4 in one save, so yes, definitely. you'll be fine.

Tsoglani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Tsoglani

I'm playing this again at the moment, and currently I am doing the Fighters Guild, Thieves, Mages, Dark Brotherhood, plus I am Arena Grand Champion, among other things. So all good.

One thing I have noticed is the load times have decided to get marginally longer...

BaneFireLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#18  Edited By BaneFireLord

Being in one of the guilds doesn't have any impact on your standing in another.

Demyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Demyx
    @SlashseveN303 said:
    " @august said:
    " @Demyx said:
    " @SlashseveN303 said:
    Uh, are you sure about that? Assassination doesn't sound like Thieves' Guild's style. "
    Yeah. I did everything in that game there was to be done, and don't remember anything like that. "
    my fault, you weren't supposed to kill him.
    danielkempster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By danielkempster

Thanks for the responses, everyone. Glad to have that cleared up. I'm looking forward to experiencing both quest lines even more now :D

ShadowVirus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 17

#21  Edited By ShadowVirus
    @Demyx said:
    " @SlashseveN303 said:
    " @august said:
    " @Demyx said:
    " @SlashseveN303 said:
    Yeah. I did everything in that game there was to be done, and don't remember anything like that. "
    my fault, you weren't supposed to kill him. "
    I remember that quest, I think killing the mage was optional. Although I did by accident and never ended up finishing the mage guild.
    pureguava

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By pureguava

I thought the the Thieves Guild and the Fighter/Mages guild had a strict "do not murder" policy. I always had assumed that if I started killing NPCs they would kick me out of those guilds? Is this not true? 

Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
    TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming
    @dankempster: Nope,it just effects your infamy,which is a bi*** since you can't use the temple altars to heal diseases if your infamy exceeds your fame.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.