Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion

Game » consists of 31 releases. Released Mar 20, 2006

Travel the continent of Tamriel, defend the land against Oblivion's Daedra hordes, and help fill the empty throne of Cyrodiil in the fourth installment of the Elder Scrolls series.

What class should I try for my Repaly of this game?

ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By ravensword

Ok, so back in the day I probaly played this game like 5 times and loved it. I played the Assassin class mostly, but im looking for something different. I tried Mage/magic classes, but I could never figure out how to get great spells without spending money I didnt have and I kept dying and even leveling them up or using them right was confusing. So, maybe Combat is the best way to go unless I can figure that magic stuff out. I was thinking about Barbarian. What do you think? which of these do you think would make a better barbarian, Nord or Orc? Playing as a Orc makes me feel like im palying as Shrek, so I dont know how much id like that. Is there any classes that you would recommend to me other then Assassin and can you give me help on playing it and what race to play it as? I wanna do something different, adn experince the game in a  new way. If I wanna do a custom class, waht would it maybe be and what race/birthsign? Like I said, I already did Assassin, so I might wanna try something new. ALso, Idont want anything ahrd to learn or I need to plan liek 5 steps ahead or anything like that. I did like stealth, but Im tired of assassin class. Also, I never really did a melee combat class before really.
    ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#2  Edited By ArbitraryWater

Wait, you use the pre-fabricated classes? Never, never, never do that. You can make a better class yourself.  That's why I recommend a High Elf mage with the Apprentice Birthsign and hand to hand. Sure, you die in one hit if a fireball even grazes you and you do roughly 2 damage when punching people, but think of all the mana! Plus, at points when any other type of character would steamroll through the game, you will always have a challenge at your hands!

Pazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Pazy

I always custom build my class and tailer them exclusively to doing massive damage using basic attacks, I killed everything and everyone with light attack! True I had to buy as many healing potions as I could find but thats because of my tendency to run towards the most dangerous thing I can see, its more fun that way.

bubahula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4  Edited By bubahula

like they said :P always custom build for how you want to play

ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By ravensword
    @Bubahula:

Well, I dotn really know how I wanna play, I just want something new, exciting, and fun. I also wanna be able to kill stuff also and be able to learn it.
    davidwitten22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By davidwitten22

You see, your class in Oblivion is like a bus. You don't get to choose where it goes, unless you make your own class. In that case, you can choose exactly where it goes. Where do you want the bus to go? 

I'm a RoboDemon (haven't played in forever though), who is great with swords, shields, healing magic, running and jumping, and shit like that.

ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By ravensword
    @davidwitten22:

You love that bus analogy, dotn you?
    Make_Me_Mad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#8  Edited By Make_Me_Mad

Don't let anyone fool you- unarmed combat is the way to go.  Nothing more awesome than sending all those abominations from Oblivion back where they came from by just punching them until they stop moving.

ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By ravensword

I had a idea for being some kind of badass Assassin, if I wanted to go with Assassin. Any ideas on a build/race/birthsign for something like that? What about a class that uses Combat,armor, and magic? Or how about one thats mainly magic? Im not great at making characters like this.
    MistaSparkle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#10  Edited By MistaSparkle

I'm always spellsword. Its just easier that way.

Mmmslash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Mmmslash
    @Raven_Sword:  I also go Algonian for Assassin characters. Get into the Dark Brotherhood as soon as possible, get the gear they give you for free, and start being a BAMF.
    MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#12  Edited By MrKlorox

Build your class so the skills you use the least are your major skills that make you level up. Put your less commonly used skills as minor skills, and the ones you use all the time as the rest. That way your character will have higher skills at lower levels and you will actually get to (have to) develop and learn skills you normally would avoid. There's a bit of a grind to level up sometimes, depending on what you pick. But your character will be worth it.

It also helps keep you from leveling up when you don't want to yet cause you haven't made enough progress in strength or whatever to get the three extra attribute points you were going for.

ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By ravensword
    @Mmmslash:

gah, I hate the Argonian.
    Avatar image for deactivated-57aaaa9329732
    deactivated-57aaaa9329732

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

try to model your character off of characters from other fantasy media. 
    for example; on one playthrough of oblivion I made commander vimes. on another i made jon snow.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fb7c57ae2335
    deactivated-5fb7c57ae2335

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Raven_Sword: I always use an Imperial, matter of personal choice.   I played as a high Elf before, though, and that seemed actually more useful gameplay-wise.

I do a cross between a Sneak, Mage, and Combat Character, with Magic as primary specialization.  From there, my major skills are Illusion (this is important, read on), Blade, Destruction, Sneak, Lockpicking, and  I can't remeber the rest, those are the important ones.  Go ahead and choose if you want combat skills, or another type of magic specialiazation.  Use the Mage as your magic sign.  

Once you get access to the Dark Brotherhood, buy Deathly Visage spell from that one Khajiit merchant.  Invisibility is *incredibly* useful in Oblivion, allows you to avoid some of the (what can become) dull combat. 

Eventually, once you go through the whole mage's guild quest, and get access to the spellmaking altars, you can make a 100% Chameleon spell, which is rather uber and will make you invisible, all the time.
    davidwitten22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By davidwitten22
    @Raven_Sword said:
    " @davidwitten22: You love that bus analogy, dotn you? "
    I just remembered you were somehow involved. I hadn't used it in months. 

But seriously, be a RoboDemon.
    ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By ravensword
    @InfamousBIG:

See, I always really liked the Sneak type classes, and i would love to get invisibility spells and all that. I was thinking of making it like this. imperial, Im not sure what two major traits would be, I was thinking of doing Blade, Sneak, Alteration, illusion, and im not sure about destruction, and mybe Athletics and light armor. and birthsign maybe the theif or something im not sure. I like Alteration because im pretty sure you get a Unlocking spell with it, and maybe that could be better then Lockpicking. But hte thing is, f im going to be using all this magic stuff, I need to be able to maintain and get back my mana well, wouldnt I?  Also, for the assassin maybe i would like Marksmen in addition to balde. But I should have Lightarmor as a major shouldnt I?
    ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By ravensword

Also, I kinda cheated when playing this game to level up my Armor abilitys. Basicaly, I dumbed down the game to rediculous easy, then I just had them hit me for like 10 minutes to level mor armor. Im not sure if this is a great way of going about it. Also, what difficulty should I be on? Since its a slider, its kinda hard to tell.
    BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By BraveToaster

I think you should make a bunch of classes and experiment a bit until you find something you like.

ZombieHunterOG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#20  Edited By ZombieHunterOG
    @Raven_Sword said:
    " Also, I kinda cheated when playing this game to level up my Armor abilitys. Basicaly, I dumbed down the game to rediculous easy, then I just had them hit me for like 10 minutes to level mor armor. Im not sure if this is a great way of going about it. Also, what difficulty should I be on? Since its a slider, its kinda hard to tell. "
    i wouldn't really say thats cheating :P  

also in the middle of the slider is "normal" difficulty 
    ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By ravensword
    @ZombieHunter:

Well, the thing is that the enemies scale. And if I level my Light armor alot, then that means my other stuff is going to be weak while the enemies are all scaled high because of my level increase by upping the armor so much.
    ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By ravensword

One thing I really wanted to try was a Magic class. like a mage. but the thing is, last time I did it I got killed all the time and I couldnt get it down right. I wanna be this destructive badass Mage or Wizard, but I also wanna have fun with it and have it be easy for me to learn. im not sure what Race, birth sign, and stats this would have.
    Avatar image for deactivated-633355e1dd700
    deactivated-633355e1dd700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I almost always play Assassin/Thief type characters. The Assassin can use Light Armor, you can make healing potions (as well as poison and other shit) easy with Alchemy, use Blades, plus your sneaky as hell. 

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Oblivion:Classes    <----That may help.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.