Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Game » consists of 30 releases. Released Nov 11, 2011

The fifth installment in Bethesda's Elder Scrolls franchise is set in the eponymous province of Skyrim, where the ancient threat of dragons, led by the sinister Alduin, is rising again to threaten all mortal races. Only the player, as the prophesied hero the Dovahkiin, can save the world from destruction.

I think that I am addicted...

Avatar image for deactivated-6157afb2b3c07
    deactivated-6157afb2b3c07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

So during my holiday break, I played literally dozens of hours of Skyrim on the 360. I normally play through the story on games and then put it down, but I kept going on that game. I loved every second and am still playing it. I was getting a little tired of playing it, as I was wanting to play through some other games, but I was just having so much fun. I even bought the PC copy on Steam over the Steam holiday sale and started playing it and now I am spending tons of hours on the PC version. I honestly can't remember the last time I have been this addicted to a game. Even Oblivion I was never that entranced by, but Skyrim is just so different. I was getting a little annoyed and wanted to move on to other games, as far as my game playing goes. But it was just tonight, while playing the game for another couple of hours before I hit the sack, that I realized that I just need to give in (lol). Anyone else enjoying this game as much as I?

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By CL60

You should download SkyUI on the PC version.

Avatar image for equitasinvictus
    EquitasInvictus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By EquitasInvictus

@PainGod89: That's my typical experience with a Bethesda game! I'm averaged somewhere between 150-200 hours total from every Bethesda game between Oblivion and Skyrim. I've enjoyed 170ish hours on Fallout: New Vegas, too!

Bethesda makes my favorite kind of open world game in how they incorporate great RPG elements. Not only that, but getting Bethesda games on the PC multiplies my enjoyment time of these games by two in how there are a bunch of amazing mods that add content equivalent to that of their best DLC.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#4  Edited By Claude

I played Mass Effect 2 on the Xbox 360 and turned around and bought it for the PC. I loved them both.

Rebel_Scum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By Rebel_Scum

Its a story I've heard before, told by the few who survived

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By penguindust

Yeah, I have Oblivion, Fallout 3, and Mass Effect (1 & 2) on the PC as well as the console. I bought the console versions of these games first but then picked up the preferred PC versions when I upgraded my computer. I play a little bit of Skyrim practically everyday now, but last weekend, I did spend too much time in one sitting. I don't like to do that any more since it recalls my days in World of Warcraft. That's not healthy. But, Skyrim is a lot of fun and I love rolling around killing bandits and bears with Lydia. Make sure you check out the Skyrim Nexus for all the mods (including SkyUI). One I love right now is the "Cooking Recipe Pack" which adds a ton of new useful foods to create. I never bothered with cooking in the game before, but I do now since it's fun and offers an alternative to potions.

CptChiken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By CptChiken

Skyrim is pretty damn addictive that is for sure. The only reason im not playing in now is because i have finals to revise for.

Christoffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By Christoffer

I was fairly addicted to Skyrim aswell. I tried to start over with a new character after finnishing all quest lines (and a bunch of other stuff too) and decided it was time to stop. I've put 120 hours into it so I'm quite pleased with the value I got out of it. But still, there's no incentives to roll a new character. The outcomes are all basically the same.

So until new content comes out, I'm clean.

Vexxan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Vexxan

One does not simply turn off Skyrim.

EODTech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#10  Edited By EODTech

@Christoffer said:

I was fairly addicted to Skyrim aswell. I tried to start over with a new character after finnishing all quest lines (and a bunch of other stuff too) and decided it was time to stop. I've put 120 hours into it so I'm quite pleased with the value I got out of it. But still, there's no incentives to roll a new character. The outcomes are all basically the same.

Is the game really exactly the same with radically different characters? One of the things I loved with Oblivion was that the game was so incredibly different depending on your character. A thiefy imperial assassin vs. a little old lady mage vs. a hulking brutish Orc tank vs. a Bosmer archer...they all brought out a lot of different elements, and it was very rewarding to play through quests with each and explore options to complete objectives using the wildly varying strengths of each character. Are you saying that in Skyrim, all these characters would experience the main questline and major side questlines exactly the same?

Christoffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By Christoffer

@EODTech said:

@Christoffer said:

Is the game really exactly the same with radically different characters? One of the things I loved with Oblivion was that the game was so incredibly different depending on your character. A thiefy imperial assassin vs. a little old lady mage vs. a hulking brutish Orc tank vs. a Bosmer archer...they all brought out a lot of different elements, and it was very rewarding to play through quests with each and explore options to complete objectives using the wildly varying strengths of each character. Are you saying that in Skyrim, all these characters would experience the main questline and major side questlines exactly the same?

There's a few choices in some quest lines, but the end result feels very similar in all cases. And it's often a matter of hard choices, and not a result of how you played during the whole game. I think your race is only reflected in some glancing comments from NPC's, nothing more than that.

But obviously the combat is a bit different. But whether I throw fireballs or shoot arrows on enemies isn't a hook for me.

Those are only my opinions, others might disagree.

zyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#12  Edited By zyn

Definitely. I put 110 hours over 2 weeks. I had to stop and play some other games.

fetchfox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By fetchfox

I feel your "pain". I've taken a three week break from it, but as soon as I get my new PC I'm going back into Skyrim. Well that and Bioshock (thanks to the glorious Steam holiday sale).

Koobasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Koobasta

The first 50 hours certainly felt that way to me. After the 100 hour mark, kind of ran out of interesting things to do. I've done about 150 hours and haven't played it since. No withdrawal symptoms, so I wouldn't say that I was addicted.

Avatar image for deactivated-6157afb2b3c07
    deactivated-6157afb2b3c07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I am basically starting the game over and playing through it again on PC. I don't care. I am having a great time. That and having a new character to spec differently feels almost like a new game in and of itself.

Avatar image for deactivated-63f899c29358e
    deactivated-63f899c29358e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm kinda on the other end, I have it installed on my PC and ready to go. I really want to play it, but at the same time I am sitting here doing nothing and being kinda bored, but I still haven't played that much of the game for some reason...

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

#17  Edited By JasonR86

Have you had withdrawal effects?

peacebrother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#18  Edited By peacebrother

@PainGod89 said:

I am basically starting the game over and playing through it again on PC. I don't care. I am having a great time. That and having a new character to spec differently feels almost like a new game in and of itself.

If you were on xbox, you can bring your save over to the PC.

Mandaray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Mandaray

Yeah, that's pretty much how Bethesda games are. I've put in 225 hours on Fallout: New Vegas so far and as for Skyrim, I'm already at 90+. The funny thing about that is I feel like I've barely scratched the surface of all the things I can do, and I'm already making plans for my third character for that world. You're not alone in your addiction. :)

Storms

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Storms

I'm at about 500 hours in Skyrim. Not including a couple of characters that I deleted so I can't see their play-times. 

I can definitely say that it's a very different experience to play my sneaky old cowardly orc (who disagrees strongly with dying before becoming useless) and master the thieves guild quest lines, as opposed to playing my Heavy-Armor/Two-Handed Wood Elf who hates the Nords, loves the Empire and loves being paid to kill people in the Dark Brotherhood (with his wicked Daedric Battleaxe) -- of course, I ROLEPLAY in my ROLEPLAYING video games. That really gives the game a ridiculous amount of replayability. 

Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
    TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#21  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming
    @Vexxan said:

One does not simply turn off Skyrim.

Or rather, one does not simply walk into a room to turn off Skyrim.
    On topic, you will get bored with Skyrim eventually. After playing it every chance i got, for 2 weeks, during which i didn't get much sleep, i find i have to force myself to play it, despite not having explored the game completely. With that said, I'm off to play Skyrim.
    BC_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By BC_

I find that I'm not enjoying it as much as I did a month ago but I still can't stop playing it. Maybe I just need another game...

INV2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#23  Edited By INV2

I absolutely love Bethesda's games. I played through Fallout 3 like a total of 4 times, think I logged about 450-ish hours in that game. S-Ranked Fallout 3, New Vegas, and Oblivion. Skyrim is no exception, even with the flaws, it's incredible and definitely addictive. With Skyrim, I kind of hit a wall for a few days with some character development dillemas. And then got busy with work and real life junk...but I want to keep playing, will probably dump some substantial hours in this weekend. I'm at about 130 hours, and trying to clear all the achievements, I have 4 left I think. When that is done, I will start a new game with a totally different perspective....specifically, I'm not going to min/max the new character with ridiculous gear. And I will probably only focus on one of the guilds and take it slower, just enjoy the game and it's wonderful details.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.