Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Game » consists of 30 releases. Released Nov 11, 2011

The fifth installment in Bethesda's Elder Scrolls franchise is set in the eponymous province of Skyrim, where the ancient threat of dragons, led by the sinister Alduin, is rising again to threaten all mortal races. Only the player, as the prophesied hero the Dovahkiin, can save the world from destruction.

Skyrim crash to desktop upon shouting 'ro'

OmegaPirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By OmegaPirate

A bit of a vague question, but having tried disabling, updating and reinstalling mods and scouring the net i am unable to find a solution or anyone with a similar problem.

Been playing a new playthrough of skyrim on the pc and had no issues game breaking so far - however having just picked up the quest to go get a witches head and optional to kill the witches - i am now unable to cast the second shout in fus ro dah. Other shouts appear unaffected.

The first word utters fine however the second the next part begins uttering, the game instantly CTD's with no messages or errors.

One suggestion was to change the audio output format quality or device (a method i had used to solve a weird audio issue that made anything in front of my FOV sound really distant, meaning i had to stand side facing someone to hear dialogue) however this has yielded no results.

Just curious if anyone here has had the same issue or heard of some kind of solution?

Cheers!

monetarydread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By monetarydread

Two questions. Do you have the mod "sounds of skyrim" installed, and "what is the size of your save file?"

I mention those two things because my save file was fucked up because of the "sounds of skyrim," mod and I had to start over again. What was happening is the modder used some weird command to trigger all the new sound effects, and the result of this is save game bloat which ends up in a corrupt save file that you don't know is fucked until after twenty or so hours of gameplay.

Even if you don't have "sounds of skyrim," installed there are other mods that have unfortunately used the same command.

Your save file should be around 6-10mb in size. When I found that my save was corrupt it was sitting at 30mb.

Kryssaira

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Kryssaira

I'm having the exact same issue and it only started with the new update. I do NOT have sounds of Skyrim or any other Mod that alters the sound... I haven't actually tried any shouts aside from Fus Ro Dah, but as soon as I get to "Ro" instant CTD.

OmegaPirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By OmegaPirate

@MonetaryDread said:

Two questions. Do you have the mod "sounds of skyrim" installed, and "what is the size of your save file?"

I mention those two things because my save file was fucked up because of the "sounds of skyrim," mod and I had to start over again. What was happening is the modder used some weird command to trigger all the new sound effects, and the result of this is save game bloat which ends up in a corrupt save file that you don't know is fucked until after twenty or so hours of gameplay.

Even if you don't have "sounds of skyrim," installed there are other mods that have unfortunately used the same command.

Your save file should be around 6-10mb in size. When I found that my save was corrupt it was sitting at 30mb.

AH! i DO have sounds of skyrim installed, though i tried running it without mods enabled, i shall remove this and give it a try! and good shout on the save file tip!

@Kryssaira said:

I'm having the exact same issue and it only started with the new update. I do NOT have sounds of Skyrim or any other Mod that alters the sound... I haven't actually tried any shouts aside from Fus Ro Dah, but as soon as I get to "Ro" instant CTD.

Hmm, i'm not sure then mate, im hoping the sounds mod is the source of the problem, i'll check now and if it is then happy days but that doesnt really clear up your problem, have you had a look at the save file size as MoentaryDread suggested?

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Ravenlight

If the previous suggestions didn't work, try this:

• Right click on the offending game in your Steam library and click Properties.
    • Shuffle on over to the Local files and click Verify integrity of game cache
    • Wait while Steam checks out your game files. This can take seconds or up to ten minutes depending how how big the game is (Team Fortress 2 is the only one I know that will take ten minutes).
    • If any files were missing or corrupt, Steam will redownload them and you should be good to go!

This is the first thing I do if a Steam game isn't playing nice and it works maybe 80% of the time.

Kryssaira

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Kryssaira

, I'm trying what you said. I have NO idea where my save files even are. (yes I know I SHOULD, but I don't. lol)

Thanks

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Ravenlight

@Kryssaira said:

I have NO idea where my save files even are. (yes I know I SHOULD, but I don't. lol)

Don't feel bad about that. It seems like every game puts the saves in a different location. This site is handy for tracking down save locations, though I'm mostly sure Skyrim uses cloud saves, too.

Kryssaira

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Kryssaira

TY, It did find one "failed" file, but that didn't fix the issue. I'm gonna check the save files now. I don't use the cloud saves since I don't play on any computer except my laptop. Hopefuly this issue gets fixed soon, I've been searching the forums and it seems to have popped up in the last update for some reason.

All my save files are under 10mb, most are at 7 or 8, so it really must be a "Bugthesda" issue. oh well. at least finally got the underwater issue fixed. :D

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Ravenlight

@Kryssaira:

Did you have the CTD issue before installing any mods? If so, at this point, I'd suggest a complete reinstall of Skyrim. Back-up your save files and nuke your install (from orbit). Make sure you clear out everything in your \Steam\steamapps\common\Skyrim folder just to be sure (it's the only way).

Of course, if you had the same issue before adding any mods, this step is completely redundant and probably a waste of time.

Gryph13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Gryph13

I had this exact same problem. Disabling the "Realistic Thunder Sounds" mod corrected it. Hopefully it works for you too.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#11  Edited By Bollard

@Gryph13 said:

I had this exact same problem. Disabling the "Realistic Thunder Sounds" mod corrected it. Hopefully it works for you too.

Ah yes I've heard about this! As far as I remember there's a conflict with the Realistic Thunder Sounds and one of the words of FusRoDah, I saw comments saying that after installing that mod one of the words was really quiet or broken because of the new thunder noise overwriting it but not taking its place (fus ro dah uses the default Skyrim thunder noise I believe), so it could be breaking it.

OmegaPirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By OmegaPirate

@Chavtheworld said:

@Gryph13 said:

Ah yes I've heard about this! As far as I remember there's a conflict with the Realistic Thunder Sounds and one of the words of FusRoDah, I saw comments saying that after installing that mod one of the words was really quiet or broken because of the new thunder noise overwriting it but not taking its place (fus ro dah uses the default Skyrim thunder noise I believe), so it could be breaking it.

This solved my problem!! removing it (not just disabling it) has allowed me to carry on Fus ro dahing rabbits into lakes!!

Thanks everyone for your suggestions and tips, very much appreciated.

Hows your problem coming along krys?

Kryssaira

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Kryssaira

@OmegaPirate: I've had the Realistic Thunder Mod for over a month without any issues... I really like it but if that solves the problem I'll do it. I just found out I get a CTD with Marked for Death as well. :(

Kryssaira

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Kryssaira

And unfortunately that was the issue. :( Oh well, at least I can now send the spiders ass over teakettle again. lmao. :D

linkster7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#15  Edited By linkster7

Thanks, this solved my problem to. Weird that it was working fine and then suddenly not so much.

OmegaPirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By OmegaPirate

@Kryssaira said:

And unfortunately that was the issue. :( Oh well, at least I can now send the spiders ass over teakettle again. lmao. :D

Thats a shame! at least you're sorted now though ^_^ glad we all got back to the thing we love to do!

@Linkster7 said:

Thanks, this solved my problem to. Weird that it was working fine and then suddenly not so much.

I know right? like it was an overnight 'NOPE GAMES FUCKED NOW BRAH!' situation and i couldnt figure what had changed,! times like this i remember why forums and the internet in general is so awesome :3

Example1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Example1013

Sounds like your Voice is too powerful, and the game had to CTD to keep it contained.

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 16

#18  Edited By AndrewB

@Example1013 said:

Sounds like your Voice is too powerful, and the game had to CTD to keep it contained.

Windows 8 will include "Ro" support, but you'll have to wait until SP1 for "Dah."

pojorobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just wanted to pop in and contribute because i was having a similar problem. When i got to the Bleak Falls Sanctum quest on a new file and the moment i had to fight the Draugr Overlord and he shouted my game crashed. I had realistic thunder sounds enabled and deleted the file and it fixed my game :) thanks for the help!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.