Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Game » consists of 30 releases. Released Nov 11, 2011

The fifth installment in Bethesda's Elder Scrolls franchise is set in the eponymous province of Skyrim, where the ancient threat of dragons, led by the sinister Alduin, is rising again to threaten all mortal races. Only the player, as the prophesied hero the Dovahkiin, can save the world from destruction.

Skyrim Details (not so much rumors anymore)

ahoodedfigure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 64

Edited By ahoodedfigure

Yeah, Game Informer's got an article with a code cover. One huge advertisement for the plot side of things, which is cool if you're into that, but if you were trying to guess what I was interested in from the last thousand posts I've made about the Elder Scrolls games, it's the mechanics.  

NeoGAF, source of many things false, abusive, and sometimes true and cutting edge about games was the source of a few posts with some very specific details about the upcoming Elder Scrolls V.  These were reposted on the much more genial Quarter to Three, and passed on from there to me via a friend of mine.

The highlights: 

I'm happy to say that one of my earlier suggestions about skill-based leveling may be implemented. Rather than major and minor skill foci (focuses? whatever), every skill leveled means you move one step closer toward leveling your character. That level increases base survival stats, and something that may be like Fallout's perk system, which sounds juicy.  Skills, too, have been pared down from Morrowind and Oblivion. I guess it's a slow process figuring out what's less useful. 

For combat it seems that players can now decide how you use weapons, shields, and spellcasting. If you want to have weapons in both hands, one hand with a weapon and one for spellcasting, or whatever else, these change what tools you have available during a fight. I really like this, but my natural desire to break things has me wondering if this means you'll be able to have two shields, or if having both hands open will improve spellcasting. 

Quest beginnings might be more dynamic, where you run into people who were affected in some way by your actions before who act as triggers for new incidents; and it seems like people pop in to replace people who have died, though they have long memories.  The example given in both sources quoted from the source linked at the bottom talk about a shopkeeper inheriting the shop from the previous owner, a man you murder. This person will still give you a quest that the original owner was supposed to give out, although she'll be angry at you...  doesn't sound like much of a consequence for murder to me.

[...]
    Source  

--

Edited Update: Various Sources point to an official forum post stating that Fallout 3's scaling system will be the model for Skyrim, not Oblivion's system.

I'll keep posting new tidbits I find here if anyone's interested, although I'm betting some of the intrepid webcrawlers out there have already learned more than I have. :)

One of the biggest potential improvements, something I've been hoping to see ANYWHERE, is that the dynamic quest system acts as the director might in the Left 4 Dead series. You learn about new places you haven't seen through quests that are sprung on you through the course of play, and it keeps track of your playing style and adjusts what it does to fit you.  Very neat, although potentially this cuts players out if they wind up unknowingly playing too similarly: what if my particular way of playing means I won't see as much content as I would otherwise?  How much would I have to adjust my style to see more of what the game has to offer?

Check my comments for more thorough posts and caps of article snippets, if you haven't run into those posts elsewhere already!

ahoodedfigure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By ahoodedfigure

Yeah, Game Informer's got an article with a code cover. One huge advertisement for the plot side of things, which is cool if you're into that, but if you were trying to guess what I was interested in from the last thousand posts I've made about the Elder Scrolls games, it's the mechanics.  

NeoGAF, source of many things false, abusive, and sometimes true and cutting edge about games was the source of a few posts with some very specific details about the upcoming Elder Scrolls V.  These were reposted on the much more genial Quarter to Three, and passed on from there to me via a friend of mine.

The highlights: 

I'm happy to say that one of my earlier suggestions about skill-based leveling may be implemented. Rather than major and minor skill foci (focuses? whatever), every skill leveled means you move one step closer toward leveling your character. That level increases base survival stats, and something that may be like Fallout's perk system, which sounds juicy.  Skills, too, have been pared down from Morrowind and Oblivion. I guess it's a slow process figuring out what's less useful. 

For combat it seems that players can now decide how you use weapons, shields, and spellcasting. If you want to have weapons in both hands, one hand with a weapon and one for spellcasting, or whatever else, these change what tools you have available during a fight. I really like this, but my natural desire to break things has me wondering if this means you'll be able to have two shields, or if having both hands open will improve spellcasting. 

Quest beginnings might be more dynamic, where you run into people who were affected in some way by your actions before who act as triggers for new incidents; and it seems like people pop in to replace people who have died, though they have long memories.  The example given in both sources quoted from the source linked at the bottom talk about a shopkeeper inheriting the shop from the previous owner, a man you murder. This person will still give you a quest that the original owner was supposed to give out, although she'll be angry at you...  doesn't sound like much of a consequence for murder to me.

[...]
    Source  

--

Edited Update: Various Sources point to an official forum post stating that Fallout 3's scaling system will be the model for Skyrim, not Oblivion's system.

I'll keep posting new tidbits I find here if anyone's interested, although I'm betting some of the intrepid webcrawlers out there have already learned more than I have. :)

One of the biggest potential improvements, something I've been hoping to see ANYWHERE, is that the dynamic quest system acts as the director might in the Left 4 Dead series. You learn about new places you haven't seen through quests that are sprung on you through the course of play, and it keeps track of your playing style and adjusts what it does to fit you.  Very neat, although potentially this cuts players out if they wind up unknowingly playing too similarly: what if my particular way of playing means I won't see as much content as I would otherwise?  How much would I have to adjust my style to see more of what the game has to offer?

Check my comments for more thorough posts and caps of article snippets, if you haven't run into those posts elsewhere already!

Mars_Cleric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Mars_Cleric

i'm super excited
    ahoodedfigure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By ahoodedfigure
    @Mars_Cleric:  A few of the things they've said so far make me a bit more interested. Someone even said they were getting rid of attributes. I guess what that means is player ability's going to matter a bit more, if the rumor is even true.
    xMP44x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By xMP44x

I am extremely pleased if this information is true. Killing people and knowing it had a permanent consequence in Oblivion always made me avoid killing anyone, and it felt like a shackle really. Obviously, if you kill someone in real life it is inevitable that they won't be replaced, but considering this is a game I want them to be replaced. Fable II replaced people, and while they always felt expendable for that reason, I still prefer that system to "Oh, you killed him - you'll never get his quest or loot now!". So yes, I'm incredibly excited for Skyrim now. I think Sledgehammer are going to have difficulty selling me on their Call of Duty title at this stage, and Bethesda should definitely milk the date they have taken for all it's worth.

shiftymagician

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5  Edited By shiftymagician

If they use Fallout 3's scaling, it would at least be more tolerable and still leave that game entertaining.  I personally found the hardest difficulty in Fallout 3 to be very engaging and less of a grind to kill off each foe like in Oblivion, which got very tedious.  That didn't mean such a problem never existed in Fallout 3, but it was less common as I saw it.

Also hell yea dual spell-casting!  They better make the destruction school a bit more fun allowing you to cast powerful spells with less of the mana hit, yet of course keep it balanced.  It may have just been me, but every time I was a mage I always relied on the other schools like Illusion and Alteration to mess with my foes before beating them to death with a weapon, as you kind of had to be good with a weapon regardless of class in that game.  I hope I can feasibly be a weaponless magician of true shiftiness this time around.

ahoodedfigure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By ahoodedfigure
    @xMP44x:  It sucks to have a game where you feel like the system is a bit busted because of one's misspent youth, even if the game isn't permanently ruined. There was one place in Morrowind, in the capital city expansion thing, where I'd pissed off this little jerk in heavy armor, and for the rest of the game he would chase after me REALLY fast and poke me in the backpiece with his sword. Horrible that there was no way for this omniscient little monster to just go away after a time.  Okay, game, I've learned my lesson, knock it off.

I think there still should be consequences for murder, but for people who like a little random killing it's nice to know that they're lookin' out for them, as well.  I still hope there's some sort of consequences for murder, though, since it seems a bit comical to me that you can continue to off people and they just get replaced.
    Aronman789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Aronman789
    ahoodedfigure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By ahoodedfigure
    @ShiftyMagician: 

As far as the debate on level scaling, look at some of my previous posts. Plenty of opinions from a ton of players there.

My own characters tend to be a blend of all three archetypes. I like spellcasting as an aid to what I'm doing but not an exclusive tool, I like sneaking around and picking locks but not robbing living people necessarily, and I prefer a character that can hold his or her own in combat (preferably with a warhammer).  It's interesting that some level of weapon mastery is required; makes me wonder if they could devote enough time to actually having at least three major completion paths to the game, sort of like what other RPGs have been doing lately, but I fear sometimes that if they tailor it too much it winds up feeling a bit generic.

I don't think I've ever felt comfortable being a straight spellcaster in any Elder Scrolls game I've played, but maybe I secretly like bashing people over the head a bit too much.

Here's hoping that all your future magicians are allowed to be truly shifty :)
    ahoodedfigure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By ahoodedfigure
    @Aronman789:  Holy crap!  They sure look real, and they look damned pretty.  Excellent find!
    Shinri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#10  Edited By Shinri

All I hope is that the environments will be more varied this time around. Oblivion was great when it came out, but the gameworld was one big forest and when it came to dungeons there were like 3 templates that seemed to get reused... I daresay Two Worlds was superior in that aspect!

ahoodedfigure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By ahoodedfigure
    @Shinri:  Not familiar with Two Worlds, but I'm wondering how varied it'll be. There's going to be a lot of snowy mountains in this one just because of the base setting, but I hope those at least have a decent mood to them.  I hear what you're saying about varied environments, though.

Weirdly enough, I think one of the better games for varied environments was old Arena, just because they didn't need to devote much processing power to making a different climate zone. You'd get a few sprites of different species of trees, a different background, different weather, but that was pretty much all you needed.  It had tropical zones and snowy areas, deserts, temperate.  Of course it was about as low res as you might imagine, but it was refreshing to go from a rainy thunderstorm to fog to a tropical swamp just by traveling far enough.
    shiftymagician

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By shiftymagician
    @ahoodedfigure said:
    " @Aronman789:  Holy crap!  They sure look real, and they look damned pretty.  Excellent find! "
    It sure is.  Loving that armour there in the first pic.  Goddam it they better release a video and show it at E3 as well in one long playthrough video.

Also, replying about your thoughts of mages with weapons, I love having a melee/magic mixup for dynamic action, however I always test the waters of an RPG by trying to play purely magical first.  It is surprising how the elder scrolls have yet to make a magic system that allows you to make a purely magical character without having to result to a weapon or employ a lot of trickery instead of using powerful offensive spells.  In the harder difficulties of Morrowind and Oblivion, you needed ridiculous amounts of mana to pull off spells that didn't really do the damage I felt needed to be done.  Weapons ended up being my goto method of dealing damage with illusion and alteration spells to hinder the enemies instead of any destruction spells. 
    ahoodedfigure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By ahoodedfigure
    @ShiftyMagician:  There's always a struggle to make sure that sort of thing doesn't become the automatic choice. Like, if you can snap your fingers and kill everyone in front of you, that's pretty much the ideal choice. So there needs to be a trade-off.  Traditionally, like if you're looking at pen and paper games, the mage needed other people to watch his or her back while they cast the spell, their amount of spells was limited, their skills in combat were generally poor, and they were usually forced not to wear armor.  

Since there are less such restrictions in the class-blending that goes on in Elder Scrolls, I'm wondering what you feel would be a decent tradeoff.  Percent chance for a spell to fail or backfire, even at high levels?  Chance to nuke loot if you go too powerful? Hidden target immunities (forcing a wide selection of spells)? 

Arena was actually very unfair to spellcasters I think, since the enemies tended to be quick and tough, and the spell aiming system required moving the mouse to the target in realtime. I never did a strong spellcaster in Daggerfall, so I'm not sure how brutal that was.  I usually only used offensive spells in Morrowind when I had the time to cast it, since I usually was in a position to get cut apart if I tried anything other than my favorite spell of all: bash them good, on the head.

Will be curious of your cool magic experiment actually works out this time, but I guess we have a long while to wait until this game comes out.
    Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#14  Edited By Bollard
    @ahoodedfigure: Have you seen the thread on GB with all the scans yet? Here? 

Levelling for all skills is confirmed, and the higher level a particular skill is, the more it advances your overall level. 

Also in reply to ShiftyMagician, apparently with the dual wielding thing you can now have magic in both hands, and combine them for a more powerful spell, or carry a shield to deflect blows and then cast with the other hand, so that seems to hint towards magic being more potent.
    ahoodedfigure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By ahoodedfigure
    @Chavtheworld: Thanks for that link. The more links I click on those links, the more I find. It's sort of like a Daggerfall dungeon, only I enjoy information as loot more than gold :)
    ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#16  Edited By ArbitraryWater

All the things you list as rumors are probably true, given that I saw them in the leaked scans. I'm excited, but I need to see gameplay footage, even gameplay footage that is clearly under the control of the developers, to have a more concrete idea of what is actually going on. I hope that their changes are honest to goodness "streamlining" as opposed to what is unarguably watering down on Oblivion's part (though, in its favor, I can actually play Oblivion, whereas I can only listen to people talk about how Morrowind is so much better than Oblivion and only stupid little peasants like Oblivion, etc etc.)

ahoodedfigure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By ahoodedfigure
    @ArbitraryWater:  If the change to the skill system stays solid for release, where you get to customize on the fly rather than be stuck with the choices you made at character creation, I'm going to be very happy. 

There's always a bit of defensiveness that's behind a lot of ranting about the superiority of older products, but I think that's partly because older products tend not to be defended as well by the designers, who often have moved on since then and maybe don't know how well they did.  Morrowind's modding community has been pretty exceptional in coming up with all kinds of crazy expansions to the PC version (which I never played, but anyway). 

From what I HAVE experienced, I'd say each game has its strengths.  Arena is probably the best dungeon hack of them all, since the dungeons are manageable but still big, and it has passwall (there's also a good variation in dungeon tiles, and there's very little that gets in the way of hopping from dungeon to dungeon, except when you're trying to do the equipment management thing in town); Daggerfall is for feeling very small, and being amused by random generation; Morrowind does the feeling of alien and new better than any of the others (I'm pretty sure Oblivion was more standard medieval fare in pretty much every corner of the map) as well as keeping conversations on that level between simplistic and robotic; other than the obvious graphical advantages, Oblivion also made decent stabs at giving the NPCs some autonomy, as well as being relatively stable (depending on who you ask, I guess)).  

In one of those preview snippets it said that the aim was for a more Conan aesthetic than ren-faire, as they put it. Epic and harsh terrain?  I'm all for that.  But as Shinri pointed out earlier, I wonder if people are going to go a bit snowblind should the terrain not be varied enough.
    haggis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#18  Edited By haggis
    @ahoodedfigure said:
    Update: Various Sources point to an official forum post stating that Fallout 3's scaling system will be the model for Skyrim, not Oblivion's system.
    Well, I suppose that's something. Fallout 3's system wasn't perfect, but it was definitely a step up from Oblivion. That said, the Fallout 3 system could use some tweaks. Let's hope that the key word here is "model," ie., that they're taking Fallout 3's system as the baseline and tweaking it substantially. I can't help but think this is good news, though. I'd love a perk system in Skyrim. I've enjoyed how it works in both Fallout 3 and New Vegas. Let's just hope they don't follow it too closely.
    ahoodedfigure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By ahoodedfigure
    @haggis: It feels a bit ooky that they act like the perk system was something they thought up, but I'm all for perks.  Just the very idea caused sparks in my brain (figuratively), since that just allows for more on-the-fly building of the character beyond the running-in-place skill training and attribute bonuses of old.  

I think I know what you mean about it following too closely. My hope is that it's going to help define you along the thief/mage/warrior axis, and that it will add flavor, not just be boring stat increases.  If they really seized upon the potential by adding a lot of very specific, interesting choices to this it would be epic.  My hope is that it won't just be "you're better with bladed weapons" kind of stuff, though, or it won't feel like much of an addition.
    xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#20  Edited By xyzygy
    Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#21  Edited By WinterSnowblind

This seems to be a good example of how you can streamline a game, without simply dumbing it down Oblivion style.  Seems like the new leveling up system gives you a lot more flexibility with how you want to play the game and lets you focus on skills you like using, instead of thrusting you into a specific class with skills you may end up not using.  I am aware that you've always been able to create custom classes, but it's impossible to know what skills will you'll like, right at the beginning of the game.. let alone which ones will be useful.  For example, how many people picked lockpicking as a skill in Oblivion.. only for it to be made completely redundant by an ingame item? 

The environments also look a lot more unique and less of the randomly generated, generic medieval forests.  Now I'm just hoping they've ditched the compass, fast travel and have brought back open cities.

EvilTwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By EvilTwin
    @WinterSnowblind said:

" Now I'm just hoping they've ditched the compass, fast travel and have brought back open cities. "

I don't know about the compass, but fast travel is definitely still in and I'm almost positive the cities are open now.

I'm excited that the character models have been really improved.

Finally we get some hot tavern wenches.
    fripplebubby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By fripplebubby

I must admit, i'm very disappointed that you didn't mention what is probably the most revolutionary change announced so far: 

BEARDS!

Also, any word on races yet? Will they still be the same from Oblivion, or will new ones have evolved (or something) in the 200 years between IV and V? 
    ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By ryanwho

No real consequences and further streamlining. Right out of the Bioware playbook.

ClaritySam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By ClaritySam
    @ryanwho: Give it up dude, Mass Effect 2 was better than the original :-)
    ShaneDev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By ShaneDev

I am tired but if I am reading this right I dont see how allowing you to kill anyone only to have them be replaced by some one who does the exact same things as them will be any good. If I decide I want to kill someone then I have made the choice to kill a person and thus shouldn't be able to come back a week later to find that their replacement wants to give the same quest to me, its stupid if I kill them I live with the result which is that I may lose out on a quest or good loot.

ahoodedfigure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By ahoodedfigure
    @WinterSnowblind:  Yeah, it looks like fast travel is still there for any place you've visited, but I guess one can train one's self to resist the temptation and walk. You'd probably run into more interesting hidden stuff that way, anyway, assuming it was a convenient mode of travel.

In Arena, as I wrote about earlier, you CANNOT make custom classes.  So they started out giving you a set path and some basic skills and abilities, so you didn't have to guess at what you were going to be good at later. In some ways this was good, because in the later ones picking major and minor skills have been, as you say, a source of headaches if you don't know how useful a skill is relative to what your'e going to find or need to do.  But, it also forced you a bit too much to take a certain role. I didn't realize until after character creation in Arena that some classes are simply incapable of casting spells-- I was so used to the Daggerfall and onward flexibility I'd come to rely upon.

But those major and minor skill restrictions for leveling turned it into a guessing game, which was interesting because I noticed that no matter which skills I picked, my tactics would often change based on how I reacted to the world, and I usually wound up not using a major or minor skill, slowing down my progression.

I'm not familiar with the compass in Oblivion but they say you can switch off the HUD, which sounds like a bonus to me.

@EvilTwin:  I'll be happy if the people are varied. It'd be really weird if all the pretty Nord ladies looked like Kim Basinger.
    ahoodedfigure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By ahoodedfigure
    @Fripplebubby:  Beards?  Hmmm.  Maybe they'll give you extra storage space.

I imagine they're holding off on races until later.  This is only the beginning of the tease-season.

@ryanwho: It'll depend on how this consequences thing is done before I start waving my cane at the youngans, but I really don't like the idea of murder being ignored. I like, however, the idea that a game isn't broken because of stupid choices you made, since I've seen game architectures collapse from that. Shopkeeper's daughter being angry at you for killing daddy but still giving you a quest seems really weird to me. During a walk yesterday I imagined an alternative, that the game spirited the quest away to some other person so you could still do the quest, but not get the hidden benefits of the shopkeeper anymore (advice, further quest bonuses, new shipments to the shop, not getting your ass attacked by the guards, not getting a criminal record).  Another idea was that any lost quests wound up getting pooled in a mercenary guild that takes a huge cut of the proceeds. Many of  the quests you miss can still be done no matter how they were lost, but the mercs take the glory and a chunk of the loot in the form of membership and finder's fees.

@ShaneDev: If taken to the logical extreme, I really wonder what would hold a pragmatic player back from killing the shopkeeper, looting said shop, THEN getting the quest when the person was replaced. I hope that example they gave in the article isn't something that can be done everywhere, since it sounds a bit too surreal.
    gike987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By gike987
    @xyzygy said:
    " @Aronman789 said:
    "  Found some pics:  http://www.gamekyo.com/groupnews_article16624.html  I really hope these are real. "
    omg. Look at that skill screen. beautiful "
    I don't like that skill screen at all. I rather have more skills on screen at the same time than huge icons. It would rather see three columns of six skills, that way they would have been able to fit all the skills on one screen.
    Skald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#30  Edited By Skald

I hope the consequences are a bit direr than that. Totally going for double shields, if such a thing exists, just to see what that would be like. 

My affinity for being weird takes me all over the place- in Oblivion, I was a vampiric Argonian God-King with stunted magicka and strong ties to the Dark Brotherhood. Mostly I just Wabbajacked stuff.

Agent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Agent47
    @WinterSnowblind: Yeah I like how they aren't tonening things down, but making them more flexible and accessible to the player.
    RichardLOlson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

#32  Edited By RichardLOlson

OMG this game is gonna be super tits.  I can't wait to play this game.  I'm so pumped up for this game it is unreal.

keyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By keyhunter

Less broken magic to screw around with, no more murdering everyone in the game, sprinting probably rather than athletics, randomly generated generic quests assasins creed style probably. Fuck this game! Still gonna play it though. And then hate on it for still not being as good as morrowind, or even oblivion.

ahoodedfigure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By ahoodedfigure
    @extremeradical:  Ha! That's great. My character's pretty much always some version of the same, but as long as it lets me change my mind later that's not as big of an issue. I'm far enough in Arena right now that I really wish I had a different character class, but I can't even up my skills with armor or weapons. I'm pretty much stuck with what I have, so I really like the idea of not only boosting skills, but just being rewarded for effort.

One tactic, though, which was pretty much common in the older games was not worrying about leveling some of the time and just doing mundane stuff.  Depending on the skills it may be a bit harder to avoid leveling just by defending yourself.  Here's hoping that upping a particular skill doesn't necessarily tell the game you would rather be one thing or another without your having some say in how your character builds up.

@xyzygy: The screen is pretty, totally. I just worry a bit like @gike987: 's point. It may be nice to look at but we'll be cycling through that screen trying to pick skills.  May be a chore after a while, unless this is just a character creation screen or something.
    Avatar image for relentlessknight
    RelentlessKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 32

#35  Edited By RelentlessKnight

I just hope that this game could live up with its expectations because Oblivion really didn't.

Sin4profit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#36  Edited By Sin4profit

I wonder how the combat skills work in this one. For what Elder Scrolls' combat is, i'd rather they got rid of the per-weapon skills system and just tied them into other attributes, bows, daggers and throwing weapons could be determined by agility, and swords, hammers could be determined by strength. Then just add perks towards the individual weapons and i think that would be a better system.

themangalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By themangalist

10 races, just not specified. Im pretty sure it's the same 10 as always.

Also, I bet the game ends with the player character becoming the next emperor in the lore side of things.

ahoodedfigure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By ahoodedfigure
    @themangalist:  You're probably right.  I should have taken a look at the race list, but yeah:

Orcs, wood elves, high elves, dark elves, lizards, cats, redguard, imperials, bretons, nords.

@Sin4profit: With 18 skills there's a distinct possibility of some trimming with all the specific weapon skills. Maybe the skills will be fighting styles? That seems like too radical a departure to be possible, but it might help emphasize the new direction they're going. 
    dtat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#39  Edited By dtat
    @Aronman789 said:
    "  Found some pics:  http://www.gamekyo.com/groupnews_article16624.html  I really hope these are real. "
    yeah those are scans from the Gameinformer issue. I don't know why everyone is getting excited from the pictures though. I mean any game can look good in stills. Even Oblivion looks good in a still shot. The real question is going to be how well they actually deliver on their game mechanics this time around.
    shiftymagician

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By shiftymagician
    @ahoodedfigure said:
    " @themangalist:  You're probably right.  I should have taken a look at the race list, but yeah:

Orcs, wood elves, high elves, dark elves, lizards, cats, redguard, imperials, bretons, nords.

@Sin4profit: With 18 skills there's a distinct possibility of some trimming with all the specific weapon skills. Maybe the skills will be fighting styles? That seems like too radical a departure to be possible, but it might help emphasize the new direction they're going.  "
    Oblivion pretty much only had swords and blunt weapons as skills along with bare hands, so unsure how much more they can simplify that on the melee side.  I sincerely hope they just get rid of the running and acrobatics, as they are the most tedious to level up.  I don't know anyone that enjoyed running around in circles or jumping for hours.  They can easily move bonuses for those two redundant skills as perks, such as a perk for higher jumping or more endurance when running.
    Juvarial

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Juvarial

I sense the need for a new PC.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#42  Edited By jakob187

So not only does that game look pretty in screenshots...during a time when all games typically look pretty in screenshots... 

...but now we also know that HEY, IT'S AN ELDER SCROLLS GAME WITH ELDER SCROLLS GAME-STYLED THINGS IN IT!!! 

MIND BLOWN!!! 

T_T  Again, I'll wait for someone to show off a gameplay demo.  We're learning nothing new or special with all this early shit.  I'm really trying hard to not shit on peoples' parade, but you folks are making it so easy to get set up for disappointment.

unchained

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By unchained
     For me, I'm going into it already liking the game. I've been enjoying the Elder Scrolls games since I received Arena for Christmas in 1994. It's a guaranteed sell and a guaranteed win from my standpoint.  

That said, I really hoping the option the scar your dude the fuck up is in the game. Also, tattoos. 
    ahoodedfigure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By ahoodedfigure
    @ShiftyMagician:  You know what, given what I've been talking about in my next article/blog/post/extremely obsessive waste of time, you may be on to something.  Still, since leveling isn't tied directly to those skills, maybe players will be encouraged to improve them through the course of play, rather than running around in circles.  I remember getting to a point in Daggerfall, after skipping around town like an idiot every time I had the chance, that I actually jumped so high I would INJURE myself upon landing.  *laughs* 

@jakob187: I'm afraid I'm not as excited as I might seem, but I'm still pitching my tent near their window and getting good peeks, since I enjoy the promise of a good game more than what usually winds up coming out. I may never wind up getting the game, but I'm eager to see how close they'll come to satisfactory improvements. I guess I get a bit of a Little Engine that Could feeling watching them trying to make a decent game.  Given that it's basically on the same platform, just optimized, it may even have this weird backlash effect that I felt playing San Andreas: everyone talked about all the improvements that game had over the older ones, but I felt like the engine was overloaded.  Or it might be a ME2 paradigm shift with general improvements across the board, with some grognards like me who wish Arena's formula had gotten more attention, are just going to be rolling our eyes and waiting for stuff to get cheap.

My big question, as it always is with these guys, is about the stability of the damned game engine.

@Unchained: You get much mileage out of Arena? I've been playing it lately and I actually like it quite a bit. Not nearly as deep as the other games, but it has an interesting scope.
    unchained

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By unchained
    @ahoodedfigure said:
    @Unchained: You get much mileage out of Arena? I've been playing it lately and I actually like it quite a bit. Not nearly as deep as the other games, but it has an interesting scope. "
    From about 1994-1996, it was my most played game.  

Super Metroid, Donkey Kong Country, Mortal Kombat II, Warcraft 2. . . these games weren't even on my radar at the time. It was TES: Arena until Daggerfall and Diablo came out in 1996.  When it was released, I was utterly blown away by the scope of the game. 
    MistaSparkle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#46  Edited By MistaSparkle
    @Mars_Cleric said:
    " i'm super excited "
    Same here. GI got me really hyped for it. Too bad we gotta wait 10 more months.
    MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By MikkaQ

Seems like they're making the leveling and difficulty harder to game than in Oblivion. Sounds awesome to me!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.