Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Game » consists of 30 releases. Released Nov 11, 2011

The fifth installment in Bethesda's Elder Scrolls franchise is set in the eponymous province of Skyrim, where the ancient threat of dragons, led by the sinister Alduin, is rising again to threaten all mortal races. Only the player, as the prophesied hero the Dovahkiin, can save the world from destruction.

The Opposite of Hardcore Mode - Arcade Mode - You Want It?

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Seppli

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Seppli

I love Skyrim, but all the 'immersive' tedium like shopkeepers with limited funds starts to wear me out. I'd love an arcade mode with unlimited inventory and shopkeepers with unlimited funds. Comfort functions like marking NPC's who give out quests would be welcome too.

It is the tedium of selling my trashloot, which has worn out its welcome and made me think about how much I'd love an arcade mode for Skyrim. I guess the economy is a little broken in Skyrim, because my loot levels alongside me, dropping 2k gold items all the time, whilst my vendors still only got like 1k gold at most.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#3  Edited By Marz

no

yoshimitz707

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

#4  Edited By yoshimitz707

So like hit tilde and type tgm into the console?

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Seppli

@yoshimitz707 said:

So like hit tilde and type tgm into the console?

Que?

Edit: Not talking 'easy mode/god mode'. Talking comfort versus immersion.

benjaebe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By benjaebe

No not really. The game is easy enough to break as it is. Besides, there's always mods and console commands if you feel like playing a game with absolutely no difficulty.

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By BraveToaster

I do agree that shopkeepers should have more gold. Instead of an Arcade Mode, they should just fix Skyrim's economy.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Seppli

@benjaebe said:

No not really. The game is easy enough to break as it is. Besides, there's always mods and console commands if you feel like playing a game with absolutely no difficulty.

Not talking difficulty. Hardcore mode in Fallout New Vegas was about immersion. Adding thirst and hunger and sleep into the mix, not upping the gameplay difficulty. I'm talking comfort functions like marking questgivers, unlimited inventory and shopkeeps with unlimited trading funds. Taking immersive tedium out of the game. Not making it easier to 'beat'.

Mr_Skeleton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#9  Edited By Mr_Skeleton

I switched to expert the game is still easy but at least I die sometimes. I would welcome a hardcore mode.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

#10  Edited By alistercat

Mods can be used to build your own custom experience. Unfortunately console players dont get the benefit of changing the game to fit your desires but that is not going to change any time soon. If ever.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Seppli

@Mr_Skeleton said:

I switched to expert the game is still easy but at least I die sometimes.

Did nobody play New Vegas? Hardcore is more immersive. Hence Arcade would trade in immersive tedium for comfort functions. It's unrelated to difficulty.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Seppli

@AlisterCat said:

Mods can be used to build your own custom experience. Unfortunately console players dont get the benefit of changing the game to fit your desires but that is not going to change any time soon. If ever.

Again. It's not about modding the game. Just as much as I regret Skyrim not taking Obsidian's addition of a 'Hardcore Immersive' mode, I regret that there ain't a 'Full of Comfort Arcade Experience'.

JCTango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By JCTango

@Axxol said:

I do agree that shopkeepers should have more gold. Instead of an Arcade Mode, they should just fix Skyrim's economy.

Recession even reaches us in the virtual world =(.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By alistercat

@Seppli said:

@AlisterCat said:

Again. It's not about modding the game. Just as much as I regret Skyrim not taking Obsidian's addition of a 'Hardcore Immersive' mode, I regret that there ain't a 'Full of Comfort Arcade Experience'.

and I'm saying it isn't necessarily on Bethesda's shoulders to provide that experience for you. They make the game they want to make, and you consume it. They have consideration for their audience during that process, but not particular tastes. The difference is they actually allow people to change their game so there is always the option there. I cannot expect every game to provide an array of options for experiencing the product but at least with mod tools it can still be achieved. Bethesda understand that.

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#15  Edited By Turambar
    @Seppli said:

I love Skyrim, but all the 'immersive' tedium like shopkeepers with limited funds starts to wear me out. I'd love an arcade mode with unlimited inventory and shopkeepers with unlimited funds. Comfort functions like marking NPC's who give out quests would be welcome too.

It is the tedium of selling my trashloot, which has worn out its welcome and made me think about how much I'd love an arcade mode for Skyrim. I guess the economy is a little broken in Skyrim, because my loot levels alongside me, dropping 2k gold items all the time, whilst my vendors still only got like 1k gold at most.

That's what the speech tree perks and thieves guild fences are for.  An npc with 4k gold that will buy anything even before the perks.
    slax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#16  Edited By slax

I see what you are saying, but if I wanted all vendors to have more money I could get my speech up and one of the perks in that tree gives more money to all vendors. So I wouldn't want a mode that made parts of the progression useless. I do however agree with you that at some point late in my play through, turning on some sort of quest giver icon would be great.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Seppli

@Turambar said:

@Seppli said:

That's what the speech tree perks and thieves guild fences are for. An npc with 4k gold that will buy anything even before the perks.

My fence only has like 1k, but I'm not yet all through their storyline. I know about the speechtree. Not going to specc into it though just for the convenience of not traveling all across Skyrim to sell my loot or abuse the pause function.

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#18  Edited By Hizang

I don't know if this is true, but I think at the end of the Thieves guild you should get a vendor that has unlimited money.

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Turambar
    @Seppli: The game gives you options.  If you are unwilling to make use of such options, that's your own problem, not the game's.
    Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Seppli

@Turambar said:

@Seppli: The game gives you options. If you are unwilling to make use of such options, that's your own problem, not the game's.

Dude - if you want to specc into speech, good for you. I'd rather specc into gameplay relevant stuff, rather than unlock comfort options. I play the god damn game and I love it. Just saying 60+ hours in, I'm growing tired of the immersive tedium and would much prefer quite the opposite approach. Every minute I spend managing my sales and inventory, I could be bashing heads in. By level 45 or what I'm at now... the tedium starts to get out of hand. What's so hard to understand about that?

pjacobson21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#21  Edited By pjacobson21

Occupy Skyrim. The 1% is limiting the shopkeeper's gold.

Jack268

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Jack268

Can't say no to more content

wolf_blitzer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By wolf_blitzer85

Nope, I enjoy immersive tedium. Besides whatever I can't sell just goes into my chest in my house, otherwise the fences down in the thieves guild have my back.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#24  Edited By Dagbiker

@Seppli said:

Limited Inventory is built out of a technical mechanic, there is not enough memory to hold an unlimited amount of items. so they built a weight mechanic to limit your inventory. I have only played about 12 hours of skyrim and so I haven't run into the limited loot problem. I doubt there is anything they can do now that the game has shipped. And personally i would rather no see a "arcade" mode in epic RPGs such as skyrim, because that would just mean more bugs, and more QA testing.

SMTDante89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

#25  Edited By SMTDante89

If it was an optional setting, I couldn't see why not. But I wouldn't use it during my first playthrough and it would make most of the Speech Tree useless.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#26  Edited By Bollard

@Hizang said:

I don't know if this is true, but I think at the end of the Thieves guild you should get a vendor that has unlimited money.

I have not encountered such a vendor...

JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#27  Edited By JoeyRavn

I can see how Hardcore Mode may have some appeal for some people. "Arcade Mode", on the other hand... It's not so different from what the game is right now on Easiest.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

#28  Edited By JasonR86

No.

I think they can do different things within the world that would address these issues without 'arcade mode' (which translates to 'dumb mode' to me).

Potter9156

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Potter9156

@Seppli said:

Sounds gross.

Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Ghostiet
    @Seppli said:

@Turambar said:

@Seppli: The game gives you options. If you are unwilling to make use of such options, that's your own problem, not the game's.

Dude - if you want to specc into speech, good for you. I'd rather specc into gameplay relevant stuff, rather than unlock comfort options. I play the god damn game and I love it. Just saying 60+ hours in, I'm growing tired of the immersive tedium and would much prefer quite the opposite approach. Every minute I spend managing my sales and inventory, I could be bashing heads in. By level 45 or what I'm at now... the tedium starts to get out of hand. What's so hard to understand about that?

Dude, just look for a mod. And if you're playing on consoles, it's your own fault. Not to mention the fact that the game already pinpoints quest objectives to the T and every inventory problem can be rectified by Strength Potions, Sign blessings and selling off potions you won't use. I had the same problem of having not enough place in my inventory until I began to sell bullshit potions like Blacksmith's Draught I would keep for a better time and never use in the end.
    DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By DystopiaX

No not really, the game is already easy enough on default settings as it is and you could make it even easier.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By MrKlorox

They should design the games from the ground up as hardcore-ass pc games, and include an 'arcade' mode or whatever that 'streamlines' things for those who don't want it all hard and stuff. Maybe have a fuck ton of checkboxes in the options to allow you to tweak it to how you want. I'm just sick of them taking out features and gameplay elements across the board because some users might not want that hardcore of an experience. I realize it would be impossible to balance varying degrees of difficulty to perfection, which is why they shouldn't try (just add a disclaimer that says the game was not optimized to be played such a way, but they'll let you anyway).

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#33  Edited By Tennmuerti

@Seppli:

Already did this for myself on the PC. I can carry 3k in weight and all shopkeepers have 10000k. (i do a similar thing in every beth. rpg)

The base limitations are simply a waste of time at some point. My choice to mod the game a bit has nothing to do with immersion or balance, but simply to to with the fact that i don't have the time to waste on unimportant bullshit.

krazy_kyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By krazy_kyle

@Marz said:

no

What he said ^

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Tennmuerti

@Dagbiker said:

@Seppli said:

Limited Inventory is built out of a technical mechanic, there is not enough memory to hold an unlimited amount of items. so they built a weight mechanic to limit your inventory. I have only played about 12 hours of skyrim and so I haven't run into the limited loot problem. I doubt there is anything they can do now that the game has shipped. And personally i would rather no see a "arcade" mode in epic RPGs such as skyrim, because that would just mean more bugs, and more QA testing.

Unlimited inventory is not needed. But the base inventory limit in the game has nothing to do with memory limitations. You can set your inventory limit to huuuuge numbers. And it works just fine. Nothing to do with a technical limitation.

@JoeyRavn: @DystopiaX: This has nothing to do with how easy/hard the game is. What OP is asking for is simply utilitarian in nature.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Ravenlight

This is a pretty cool concept. I like the idea of making Skyrim a pure dungeon crawl.

It'd be cool to get rid of the inventory all together and maybe have a meta-inventory that was tallied at the end of every dungeon and gave you a score for the dungeon.

IE: You took X damage, killed Y monsters, and pick up Z amount of loot.

Syndro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Syndro

@AlisterCat said:

sorry to burst your bubble friend, but you're wrong on that one.

AusGamers: You always support the mod community as well and I know that this is going to have mod tools out of the box.

Todd: For download, not in the box.

AusGamers: Right okay, yeah.

Todd: In case people look in their box and they’re like “what?”.

AusGamers: Obviously the PC community really enjoys that a lot, but have you thought about giving that level of access to the consoles?

Todd: I have yeah. I think our PC mod community is one of the things that is great about our games. We’ve always supported it and we want to continue to do it. But a lot of our audience is on the consoles so they’re not experiencing that. So we have talked to Microsoft and Sony; “how do we do this?”.

The good news is that those things have started to happen with games like Forza 3 and sharing all your car stuff or Rock Band’s a really good example, where you can make your own tracks where you’re authoring them somewhere else then you’re uploading them to the 360.

There are still a lot of issues to solve with... because these aren’t instances like a song or a car you know, you could download a mod that destroys your game and we can’t have that. So we’re still... we have not solved -- even on paper yet -- how to handle security; how do we handle not messing up your saved games and things like that.

So it’s not going to be solved for the game’s release, but it’s something that we’re going to continue to look at because we think that it’s an awesome part of the game that the majority of our audience isn’t seeing.

AusGamers: Is there any opportunity going forward to actually take some of the PC mod stuff and port that to console for console players?

Todd: It actually works. If you have a devkit console you can take the PC mod files, put them on your Xbox and they work. They actually worked in Oblivion, Morrowind and Fallout 3. For all of those games, I can take the PC mods and put them on my Xbox. We have one system so we just need to figure out the logistics of: How do we get it there? How do we secure it? How do we make it safe? It’s something that we would really like to do.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Tennmuerti

@Syndro:

I would NOT take anything Todd Howard said to heart. He lies at a pretty consistent rate while marketing any current Bethesda game.

But yes the possibility exists. Whether or not Skyrim mods will be seen on the 360 is still debatable. Another hurdle here is not just Bethesda or the technical limitation but also Microsoft policy.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By alistercat

@Syndro: Not saying it isn't possible, what I meant was I doubt Microsoft are going to allow it. He said he's talked to them, but if they wouldn't do it for epic why for Bethesda.

Stahlbrand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#40  Edited By Stahlbrand

Trash loot isn't the problem, trash looting is. Pick up less garbage. After two dozen hours you'll be throwing money away, even if you never pick up anything under a 10:1 cash:weight ratio, excepting gear you actually want to use.

I think the vanilla game is a great compromise. When hardcore "OOO" style mods come out I will certainly try them - I ended up really enjoying HC FO:NV - but I think the default experience offers just enough resistance to keep the game from being dangerously effortless w/o self-imposed behaviour (like avoiding min/maxing, not over-using fast travel, sending companions home if you can hack it solo - just IMO).

Vexxan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Vexxan

I want a Horde mode.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.