Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Game » consists of 30 releases. Released Nov 11, 2011

The fifth installment in Bethesda's Elder Scrolls franchise is set in the eponymous province of Skyrim, where the ancient threat of dragons, led by the sinister Alduin, is rising again to threaten all mortal races. Only the player, as the prophesied hero the Dovahkiin, can save the world from destruction.

Undeniable proof that Bethesda Softworks are sell-out hacks.

• 82 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Getz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By Getz

So Bethesda's tradition of holding a fan-run interview for their Elder Scrolls games has come 'round again, and while there's already a forum topic devoted to it here, I would like to draw your attention to question 3:

"3) Is armor handled like in Oblivion (with each body part being welded together) or in Morrowind (with each body part separate)? Will you be able to wear both clothes and armor at the same time?

Matt: The armor system is very similar to Oblivion’s. The main difference is that the upper and lower body armors, the cuirass and greaves, have been combined into one piece. This helps create armor styles that have the look we needed for Skyrim. In most of the Nordic designs we created, the upper armor would completely cover the lower armor, making it unnecessary. We get much better visual results combining those pieces, and it renders a lot faster too, so we can put more people on screen, so that was an easy tradeoff for us. We can also make a lot more armors now, so the number and variation types are more than we’ve ever had."

FIRST THEY TAKE OUT CHARACTER STATS AND NOW THEY'RE TAKING AWAY A WHOLE PIECE OF ARMOR YOU GUYS. THIS IS AN OUTRAGE AND WE SHOULD ALL BOYCOTT THIS TERRIBLE GAME. I'm with that last guy; I will not buy this game! I'm gonna go play Daggerfall and masturbate now.

Edit: I can't tell if all the people asking me if this is serious or not is a comment on their intelligence, or a comment on the quality of discourse we've gotten used to on forums. So I'll alleviate the suspense; yes, this was a joke. I was specifically making fun of the guy on these forums who said he wasn't going buy Skyrim because they took out some of the stats (which were redundant anyway). I'm tired of nerds making something out of nothing just because they don't want to leave their comfort zone. And for the record, I'm a huge Elder Scrolls fanboy so if I can deal then so can they.

PeasantAbuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By PeasantAbuse

Fuck greaves, bring back robes.
    Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#3  Edited By Yummylee

For some reason, I came in here expecting a witty comic or something.

kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By kingzetta

Someone is doing something

RAAAAAAGE!!

Make_Me_Mad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#5  Edited By Make_Me_Mad

Damnit!  Bring back Pauldrons, you dicks!

GuyIncognito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By GuyIncognito
    @Getz said:

So Bethesda's tradition of holding a fan-run interview for their Elder Scrolls games has come 'round again, and while there's already a forum topic devoted to it here, I would like to draw your attention to question 3:

"3) Is armor handled like in Oblivion (with each body part being welded together) or in Morrowind (with each body part separate)? Will you be able to wear both clothes and armor at the same time?

Matt: The armor system is very similar to Oblivion’s. The main difference is that the upper and lower body armors, the cuirass and greaves, have been combined into one piece. This helps create armor styles that have the look we needed for Skyrim. In most of the Nordic designs we created, the upper armor would completely cover the lower armor, making it unnecessary. We get much better visual results combining those pieces, and it renders a lot faster too, so we can put more people on screen, so that was an easy tradeoff for us. We can also make a lot more armors now, so the number and variation types are more than we’ve ever had."

FIRST THEY TAKE OUT CHARACTER STATS AND NOW THEY'RE TAKING AWAY A WHOLE PIECE OF ARMOR YOU GUYS. THIS IS AN OUTRAGE AND WE SHOULD ALL BOYCOTT THIS TERRIBLE GAME. I'm with that last guy; I will not buy this game! I'm gonna go play Daggerfall and masturbate now.

I'm with you dude.   Fuck this shit.  I'm picky when choosing a cuirass, damn it.
    Getz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Getz

@Abyssfull said:

As a general rule: never expect wit if you see my name.

Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#8  Edited By Red

What is the point of posting a news story sarcastically and raged? Just makes me want to punch you in the face, then watch you try and hit me, only to be deflected by my greaves-cuirass combo.

Getz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Getz

@Red said:

What is the point of posting a news story sarcastically and raged? Just makes me want to punch you in the face, then watch you try and hit me, only to be deflected by my greaves-cuirass combo.

What is the point of your face? THAT'S WHAT I THOUGHT.

kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By kingzetta
    shiftymagician

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By shiftymagician

This really doesn't affect the game in a negative way dude.

Getz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Getz

In all seriousness you guys, I really do miss being able to put a giant iron pauldron on one shoulder, a glove on the opposite hand, a silk shirt and no pants.

Getz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Getz

@kingzetta said:

@Abyssfull said:
    This is the comic your looking for
    http://www.nerfnow.com/comic/535

awesome.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#14  Edited By Hailinel

@Getz said:

In all seriousness you guys, I really do miss being able to put a giant iron pauldron on one shoulder, a glove on the opposite hand, a silk shirt and no pants.

Well, if I want to dress my character up like a total asshat, I'll just have to continue waiting for Saints Row 3. On the other hand, some of the things I've heard about Skyrim are making me interested in it, despite my utter hatred for Oblivion.

ninjalegend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By ninjalegend

It does not bother me as much as it seems to have got to you, but still causes me concerns. This does raise a few questions in my head. I understand they are making these compromises to fit it on consoles. It does make me wonder how much armor is in the game. Did they take this trimming into their game play systems? Or was this a logical step to free up power for a better feeling combat system, or improved draw distance. Will I still be hunting for loot 50+ hours in, or will I have all 6 armor sets 30 minutes in? Thanks for the heads up.

Getz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Getz

a couple people seemed to have missed the joke. That's OK; I suppose I made it a little too close to how people sound when they're actually whining about inconsequential things.

shiftymagician

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By shiftymagician
    @ninjalegend said:
    It does not bother me as much as it seems to have got to you, but still causes me concerns. This does raise a few questions in my head. I understand they are making these compromises to fit it on consoles. It does make me wonder how much armor is in the game. Did they take this trimming into their game play systems? Or was this a logical step to free up power for a better feeling combat system, or improved draw distance. Will I still be hunting for loot 50+ hours in, or will I have all 6 armor sets 30 minutes in? Thanks for the heads up.
    From the sounds of it, there will be more unique armours than just the usual 6.  There could be distinct variations of the 6 main armour types.  Think of the different daedric helmets you could get in Morrowind, except apply to all armour pieces and types.  I'm going to bet that is what they are doing, which I'm perfectly fine with.
    salad10203

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ninjalegend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By ninjalegend

I just clicked on the link you gave for the fan-run interview and I feel like a total dick. Obviously you were just kidding. Guess that will teach me for only reading the post, and not clicking on the links. Definitely even more stoked for this game.  

martellus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#20  Edited By martellus
    @Getz:  i really know that this sounds incredibly rude, and I am really really sorry, but I have to ask; Is this sarcastic? 

ok yea. just making sure.  but still, would it really be that bad if the armor was combined?
    NeVeRMoRe666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By NeVeRMoRe666

NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRD!

:D

HadesTimes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 8

#22  Edited By HadesTimes

So Getz, your kidding right? If not, perhaps you have bigger problems than anything that Bethesda can do to you.

coryrx8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By coryrx8
    @Getz said:

a couple people seemed to have missed the joke. That's OK; I suppose I made it a little too close to how people sound when they're actually whining about inconsequential things.

Yeah, I think you ran up against your own little variant of Poe's Law there.
    toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By toowalrus

WHY DO THEY KEEP TAKING OUT USELESS THINGS CHRIST!?

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By SeriouslyNow

@kingzetta said:

@Abyssfull said:
    This is the comic your looking for
    http://www.nerfnow.com/comic/535

Burgers and Video Games can't be compared, unless you're talking about shovelware and iOS games. RPGs are not fast food in any context.

Avatar image for deactivated-5de441812a230
    deactivated-5de441812a230

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Wait. I can't tell if you're all being serious or not.
    JP_Russell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By JP_Russell
    @Getz said:

If it makes you feel any better, I thought you were being extremely obvious and shook my head as I scrolled down and read the responses that totally missed it.
    ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#28  Edited By ajamafalous

@Red said:

As I started reading your post, I was all "Yeah, I totally agree, that's what I was gonna say!" then got fucking blindsided by that great bit at the end.

+1

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By SpaceInsomniac
    @Getz said:

I can't tell if all the people asking me if this is serious or not is a comment on their intelligence, or a comment on the quality of discourse we've gotten used to on forums. 

Tone and sarcasm do not always convey their intended message over the internet.  You need actual speech for that.  If you're going to question someone's intelligence, question your own for not understanding that concept in the first place. 
    Meowshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Meowshi
    @Getz said:

Edit: I can't tell if all the people asking me if this is serious or not is a comment on their intelligence, or a comment on the quality of discourse we've gotten used to on forums. So I'll alleviate the suspense; yes, this was a joke. I was specifically making fun of the guy on these forums who said he wasn't going buy Skyrim because they took out some of the stats (which were redundant anyway). I'm tired of nerds making something out of nothing just because they don't want to leave their comfort zone. And for the record, I'm a huge Elder Scrolls fanboy so if I can deal then so can they.

Maybe it's a comment on you making awful threads and trying to be cute instead of just saying what you want to say.  
    Ragdrazi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Ragdrazi

Yeah, anyone who wants games with complexity is totally stupid! Simplify everything down! Lets just have every game be a series of quicktime events with achievements for each time you do it right. Hell, let's get achievements for doing it wrong. They could be things like "I believe in you!"  and "You'll get it right next time!"

Taklulas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Taklulas
    @Getz said:

All I can say is.... QQ sir.
    Dustpan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#33  Edited By Dustpan

If this means that all the armor will look amazing and super detailed, I'm all for it.

I'd rather not look like some side show, wearing multiple pieces of armor that don't match whatsoever, only wearing them because they have better stats.

JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By JoeyRavn

@Getz said:

So I'll alleviate the suspense; yes, this was a joke.

Yes, but is the confirmation that this is a joke thread a joke in itself? A joke within a joke, as some would say?

Vodun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Vodun

@Getz: Dude, it's totally plausible this could've been a serious post. Sarcasm don't work over the internet, no matter how conspicuous, since there's always someone nuts enough to have an opinion like that.

Yanngc33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 5

#36  Edited By Yanngc33

HOW DARE THEY COMBINE THE CUIRASSES AND GREAVES!

Elazul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#38  Edited By Elazul
    @Getz said:
    I can't tell if all the people asking me if this is serious or not is a comment on their intelligence, or a comment on the quality of discourse we've gotten used to on forums.
    Actually it's more a comment on how hard it is to do sarcasm in text form, NO MATTER HOW MANY CAPITALS YOU USE. Surely you didn't expect everyone to get it right off the bat, did you?
    buft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#39  Edited By buft
    @Red said:
    lol
    mfpantst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#40  Edited By mfpantst

AT first I was like woah he's serious- then I realized you were not. 

Badhands

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Badhands

Honestly, this kind of pisses me off also. I understand that new gamers are getting more and more stupid and cant handle too many items in their inventory. I didn't mind Mass effect 1-2 shift because the story was so good but one of the best parts of Oblivion, a classic rpg is the gearing up your guy. I will still buy the game and probably love it to death but it does kind of suck to see another RPG developer lessening their RPG experience.

inkerman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#42  Edited By inkerman

As much as there's the usual 'complain about shit', going around, this really does bum me out, I like having choices in my armour...

Mr_Skeleton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#43  Edited By Mr_Skeleton

Sell outs? Do you mean that they are trying to sell their game to more people, because they do. They are a business and making games the size of Skyrim costs a lot of money, money that they need to make back. Seriously im so sick of people complaining about companies trying to make their games appeal to more people and make more money at the same time. They didn't screw you over because the game wasn't developed for you, it was developed for the mass market.

And do you really have so little faith in studios like Bethesda that proved they have the talent and will to make good games that they would make changes without making sure the game is still fun and up to par with their previous game?

weltal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By weltal

@Badhands: Perhaps, too stupid to put on pants, even.

I'm with this guy. Still probably going to be an awesome game, but I'm a freaking loot whore and finding all sorts of pieces of armor makes me super happy so it's a bummer to see that take any kind of hit. Just like from Morrowind to Oblivion.

Getz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Getz

@SpaceInsomniac said:

@Getz said:

Tone and sarcasm do not always convey their intended message over the internet. You need actual speech for that. If you're going to question someone's intelligence, question your own for not understanding that concept in the first place.

Ok, I'm thinking about it and yeah, I'm pretty sure I'm a genius. So it's definitely you guys.

warxsnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By warxsnake

you're gonna buy it regardless of anything so ¯\_㋛_/¯

Ninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Ninja

What! All I wear is greaves, how can I be topless but remain protected in this new video game experience?

ArchScabby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By ArchScabby
    spctre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#49  Edited By spctre
    @Abyssfull said:
    Same here.
    Getz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Getz

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.