Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Game » consists of 30 releases. Released Nov 11, 2011

The fifth installment in Bethesda's Elder Scrolls franchise is set in the eponymous province of Skyrim, where the ancient threat of dragons, led by the sinister Alduin, is rising again to threaten all mortal races. Only the player, as the prophesied hero the Dovahkiin, can save the world from destruction.

When do you think we'll see the first DLC/Expansion for Skyrim?

ztiworoh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By ztiworoh

I feel like we should probably hear about this stuff soon right? I know they said they wanted to make bigger expansions, as opposed to shorter DLC, but we're coming up on 6 months or so of Skyrim being out. What do you think the expansions will be?

Avatar image for deactivated-63f899c29358e
    deactivated-63f899c29358e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

It will most likely be on new land-masses, personally I would love to see them go crazy with it and create a weird Shivering Isles-like expansion.

dtat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#3  Edited By dtat

It's only been 4 months, but I hope we do hear about it soon. I would guess that it probably will be entirely new areas eg: forays into Morrowind. That would be pretty awesome.

Rohok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By Rohok

I'm so glad there was no day one DLC. I think Bethesda is the first non-PC exclusive developer in years that hasn't released a day one DLC.

Avatar image for james_giant_peach
    James_Giant_Peach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By James_Giant_Peach

I heard they were doing a thing where you go back to Vice City.

Wait, wrong thing...

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#6  Edited By Brendan

It'll be a year out if it's a new land mass that you go to. I'm guessing it'll come out around November, December.

FordFairlane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#7  Edited By FordFairlane

Well, we won't be seeing another Elder Scrolls installment for another 4-5 years based on prior games, so I don't think there's a big hurry.

Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By Scooper

I dunno but I'd love to explore places like Elsweyr (sp?), Black Marsh or Hammerfell using the structure and engine from Skyrim. That could be really interesting.

Avatar image for thephantomstranger
    ThePhantomStranger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There was a video not to long ago about how Bethesda had some of there devs do whatever they want with the creation kit and they built a metric ton of crazy insane mechanics and such...

They said something about some of it getting in as an expansion. Man do I hope that's true...

Master_Funk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Master_Funk

We will probably see it at E3 for a fall release. Bethesda is gonna get me to play their game through the christmas break for the second year in row.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By WinterSnowblind

They did say they wanted to take their time and it would likely be quite a while before we see any. They want to do huge expansions, not trivial pieces of content.. Which is an attitude I wish more developers would adopt.

Cubidog1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Cubidog1

I have only finished the Companions sidequest, so I still have a lot more Skyrim ahead of me. I don't mind waiting until November for the expansion, though I really hope it allows me to use the same character. I would hate having to build up all my stats again. Also visiting a new land would be cool, and if it had a horror area that would be cool(I know that is probably asking for too much).

DrDarkStryfe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By DrDarkStryfe

I am a bit shocked nothing has come out yet. With their previous titles, we had DLC, or at least an announcement, by now. It seems like they are taking a pretty hefty chance at waiting so long, when more and more people have put this game on the shelf.

EODTech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By EODTech

There are built but unfinished landmasses out past the Skyrim borders that you can get to by exploiting various glitches. You can google it to see pics and videos. I think Kotaku had pics or one of those sites.. The DLCs will ostensibly be set out there.

And if their stated intent (offer fewer, but more polished and robust, DLCs a la Shivering Isles) still holds, then the DLC releases will be fewer and farther between.

You people that are so amazed no DLC is out yet need to chill out. The true indicator of maturity is the ability to delay gratification.

yoshimitz707

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#15  Edited By yoshimitz707

@ThePhantomStranger: Man, those look awesome!

emprpngn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By emprpngn

@Scooper said:

I dunno but I'd love to explore places like Elsweyr (sp?), Black Marsh or Hammerfell using the structure and engine from Skyrim. That could be really interesting.

Yeah, I hope it's something like that. Shivering Isles was awesome, but I'd really like a fully-realized province to go explore that we haven't seen yet. At least with non-randomly generated terrain, that is.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f0017840c01a
    deactivated-5f0017840c01a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ThePhantomStranger: Thanks for posting the video. Looks pretty cool especially if they decide to actually add any of those ideas in the DLC.

muktor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By muktor

I wonder what it will have

yeah we have the creation kit

but would rather see the professional official DLC

EODTech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By EODTech

I just watched that video (horrible arab internet connection makes videos load very slowly...you guys don't take your highspeed connection for granted). Holy crap. What an awesome bunch of tweaks. I particularly like the idea of completely dark dungeons. I'm amazed nobody though of it sooner. Of COURSE some dungeons (MOST dungeons, when you think about it) would be pitch black inside and you'd have to take your own torch or use magelight.

I know "bigger, better" DLCs is Bethesda's plan, but I would like to see some of these small changes in a DLC now that I've seen the video.

darkedhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By darkedhunter

I would definitely like some mechanical expansions, like the ones shown in the video. Content is all fine and dandy, but there is a big chunk of stuff I haven't done yet in vanilla Skyrim. Maybe some cool new features would suck me back in. =/

SSValis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By SSValis

If it's small stuff like "Mehrunes Razor" or "knights of the Nine" then it will probably be within the next few months. If it's something bigger like Shivering Isle then it will probably be out sometime in the fall. No longer than a year though. Anything longer and a lot of people will have moved on.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Instinctively I want to say, "It's only been four months, and it's a game that has remained in our present consciousness nearly the entire time."  

But, yeah, I'd imagine we'll hear about the first expansion soon-ish. I'd give it until the end of April. 

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@ThePhantomStranger said:

There was a video not to long ago about how Bethesda had some of there devs do whatever they want with the creation kit and they built a metric ton of crazy insane mechanics and such...

They said something about some of it getting in as an expansion. Man do I hope that's true...

Holy fuck. I'd take everything in this video. Even if I wouldn't use half of it. 
    ComradeKhan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#24  Edited By ComradeKhan

MORROWIND... It would be cool if the expansion was set in morrowind (It would be funny too since Morrowind's expansion took place in the Shivering Isles which bare a striking resemblance to Skyrim). They could do something with the story that deals with all of the Dunmer migration out of Morrowind into Skyrim due to the Red Mountain eruption.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.