Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Game » consists of 30 releases. Released Nov 11, 2011

The fifth installment in Bethesda's Elder Scrolls franchise is set in the eponymous province of Skyrim, where the ancient threat of dragons, led by the sinister Alduin, is rising again to threaten all mortal races. Only the player, as the prophesied hero the Dovahkiin, can save the world from destruction.

"You can speak with the dragons"...

Fruitcocoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Edited By Fruitcocoa
    "I'm so big, and strong and dangerous. But hit me with your hands and I'll die..."

I hate dragon, I really do. Why? Because they are huge creatures that should kill you by there breathing. The fact that you are standing there, hitting it with your hands and all the sudden it ends up dead is making my OCD go to space. It would be awesome if you saw a dragon, and then in about 3 seconds you'd be dead. Right? Because that's how they role--they kill. The fact that dragons seems to be the big focus in The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim freaks me out. Don't get me wrong now, but you can speak with them... You can speak with the dragons? Come on... please.

Anyhow, convince me that this game will be awesome. I haven't seen much from the game but people are speaking of the dragons way too much!

Fruitcocoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Fruitcocoa
    "I'm so big, and strong and dangerous. But hit me with your hands and I'll die..."

I hate dragon, I really do. Why? Because they are huge creatures that should kill you by there breathing. The fact that you are standing there, hitting it with your hands and all the sudden it ends up dead is making my OCD go to space. It would be awesome if you saw a dragon, and then in about 3 seconds you'd be dead. Right? Because that's how they role--they kill. The fact that dragons seems to be the big focus in The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim freaks me out. Don't get me wrong now, but you can speak with them... You can speak with the dragons? Come on... please.

Anyhow, convince me that this game will be awesome. I haven't seen much from the game but people are speaking of the dragons way too much!

MikeGosot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By MikeGosot

Dragons are awesome because they kill by breathing. Skyrim will make you able to withstand these mighty creatures AND KILL THEM! YEAH! People get excited when they notice they can kill monster that are apparently invencible. Besides, many people that will buy Skyrim are not doing it because of the dragons.

Fruitcocoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Fruitcocoa

@MikeGosot said:

Dragons are awesome because they kill by breathing. Skyrim will make you able to withstand these mighty creatures AND KILL THEM! YEAH! People get excited when they notice they can kill monster that are apparently invencible. Besides, many people that will buy Skyrim are not doing it because of the dragons.

But there are crazy people (like me) who won't be buying it because of them. Again, crazy people.

MikeGosot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By MikeGosot
    @CarlSmith: Correct me if i'm wrong but (And i think am i.), but... I don't think you NEED to face dragons.
    Avatar image for deactivated-6204297b0c601
    deactivated-6204297b0c601

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 6

Why is speaking with dragons ridiculous? Haven't you heard of Smaug? Or Sean Connery?

DrHawking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By DrHawking

Sounds like that Dark Souls is up your alley.

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By BraveToaster

The only way to know if it's awesome or not is if you play the game. Trying to convince you is waste of time.

david3cm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By david3cm

So you have a problem with the fiction creature being able to talk, and they don't kill you instantly? Dragons aren't real, so the developers don't really have to stick to any real rules about them. You.... you do realize dragons aren't real don't you?

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#9  Edited By Hailinel

@MikeGosot said:

@CarlSmith: Correct me if i'm wrong but (And i think am i.), but... I don't think you NEED to face dragons.

There are points in the main quest where confronting dragons is a necessity, so I understand.

KommanderCevin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By KommanderCevin

Yeah, if you want to be killed in three seconds by a dragon just breathing fire at you, try the first 2 hours of Dark Souls.

yoshimitz707

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#11  Edited By yoshimitz707

What's wrong with Dragons as something more than just a beast? Anyways, most dragons in Skyrim will only be able to speak the dragon language so it's only going to be a few story related dragons that can speak english.

Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#12  Edited By Video_Game_King
    @Gooddoggy said:

Why is speaking with dragons ridiculous? Haven't you heard of Smaug? Or Sean Connery?

He's a dragon racist. He probably thinks that all dragons look alike and are taking all the good jobs away from hard working humans.
    beckley205

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By beckley205

When you kill a dragon you take its soul so I guess you talk to others through the soul trapped in your body. And they give you powers.

McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By McGhee

Are you kidding? Fucking Smaug man. SMAUG.

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By SeriouslyNow

"Dragon, which towns are nearby which I can rape and pillage?"

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @CarlSmith said:

@MikeGosot said:

But there are crazy people (like me) who won't be buying it because of them. Again, crazy people.

You are able to withstand their attacks because of what you are. thats the answer.  

And why write off dragons as super dumb creatures who can not talk? 
    bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By bybeach

Dragons are pretty hardcore, and they should not be easy to kill. But there is a folklore of some being able to talk. I do not think it was just Tolkien who also attributed a lust of gold and being master decievors, but I'm speaking off of some past reading memories, not sure knowlege.

This guy may have spells and a special shield for example, to protect himself from the fiery breathe..something like that. As long as it's him not just waving his sword with his privates hanging out, and getting away it it...penny arcade had a crude cartoon about that, trying to remember it.

Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Subjugation

Because fiction.

vaiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#19  Edited By vaiz

The Elder Scrolls V: Dragons Souls

Moonshadow101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Moonshadow101

Your incredulity over talking dragons is really wierding me out. What tiny, tiny subset of dragon-related media have you been exposed to in your life that makes this a strange thing?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bybeach said:

Dragons are pretty hardcore, and they should not be easy to kill. But there is a folklore of some being able to talk. I do not think it was just Tolkien who also attributed a lust of gold and being master decievors, but I'm speaking off of some past reading memories, not sure knowlege.

Dragon gold-lust goes all the way back to Beowulf, at least. Which Tolkein happened to write an essay on...

Devoid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#22  Edited By Devoid

What about this dragon?

No Caption Provided
    Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Ravenlight

The shouts you can use to pwn things are just words of power in dragon language. So technically, you're "talking" to dragons when you summon lightning storms to zap them out of the sky.

Fruitcocoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Fruitcocoa

My problem is that yo can take hit after hit from a dragon. If you would die in one hit, then I'll be fine with it, honestly!

MindOST

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By MindOST

It's fantasy. You just have to accept the fact that in this universe certain heroic individuals are capable of feats far greater than us normal humans.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#26  Edited By toowalrus

Aren't dragons always intelligent and articulate? Like, in just about ever fantasy thing every.

Giefcookie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Giefcookie

The only reason dragons would want to speak with you is to get your gold.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By MikkaQ

@Moonshadow101 said:

Your incredulity over talking dragons is really wierding me out. What tiny, tiny subset of dragon-related media have you been exposed to in your life that makes this a strange thing?

Oh I wonder...

Vodun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Vodun

@Devoid said:

What about this dragon?

No Caption Provided

Pff, he got taken out by a swamp dragon. He ain't all that!

Avatar image for do_the_manta_ray
    Do_The_Manta_Ray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Do_The_Manta_Ray
    Talk to dragons? Use my speech-craft skill? My dream is just one mod away...
    Talk to dragons? Use my speech-craft skill? My dream is just one mod away...

Alright, now that's out of the way. I agree with the OP in a way or two, dragons are wholly overused in contemporary fantasy. Not since Baldur's Gate 2 (And Demon's Souls....) have I actually felt threatened or fascinated by a dragon. They are to be these great, mystical creatures possessing powers beyond our understanding, the epitome of death's servants. Noble, yet terrifyingly lethal. I recall the encounter in the first Neverwinter Night where you fought a white dragon that had turned two tribes immortal and pitted them against each other in endless battle. Both of them were hostile towards you, yet you couldn't help but feel a sense of sympathy for these people once you did get to know them better. The dragon then, seemed like evil manifested, and you knew that in order to stop this madness, you must first defeat him in MORTAL KOMBAT! So you walk in and start chopping the thing, and then he falls over and doesn't get up again, and that's that. And I remember feeling such a sore sense of disappointment. They'd built up towards an epic climax, yet the entire thing sort of just simpered to an end.

Naturally, how else would you defeat a boss in a RPG but chopping at it, possibly throwing your magic missiles? Tying the dragon's neck in a knot and watch it roast it's own ass? Finish it with a single arrow that finds it's weak point?

Point I'm gradually limbing towards here is that I get the same feeling from Skyrim as I did from the Neverwinter Nights encounter. Worse yet, dragons scale in level as you do, making it possible to kill them just about any point in the game. Before long, I reckon they'll feel like "Oh, dragon-soul ahead, let's just bury my axe in that thing's head and I can upgrade my sprint ability!"

I don't particulary much mind being able to talk to dragons, see picture above, as long as they make them interesting characters in their own right. Oh, hang on, Bethesda game.. "I shall roast thy buttocks, grand warrior who have decimated legions of my undead servants! Prepare to feel the rage of a thousand dying suns hovering over a sunday-stand run by a serbic fellow!"

If you want dragons, you need to make them imposing, feel mighty and powerful. For example, Martin's Dragons in "A Song of Ice and Fire", there's just three in the world, and there's been so much talk of what the dragons accomplished in ages past. When they finally begin to grow in the later books, it imparts an almost palpable sense of dread at their tempers and their lethal capabilities. But what really makes them unique is the fact that the characters in the books find it hard to accept their existence as a thing of reality, and as seen from their point of view, we begin to appreciate just how singular these beings are. Now, for Skyrim, I say that with a bit of luck, you won't actually be able to fight the dragons until a long way into the game, so that when you finally are able to bring one down, it'll be after having accomplished much already, and truly make you feel you've come to a point where you can be this here saviour that the old scrolls speak of and blah blah blah. Just don't let me kill dragons at level 10, or it'll become just another enemy-type. Smaug's turning in his grave at the thought.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#31  Edited By Dagbiker

If I get a chance at work I will elabroat further, right now im on a phone. I like fiction where dragons are just creatures. Perhaps inteligent, perhaps rare, but just beasts. Also dragons dont have lips

alexl86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#32  Edited By alexl86

Heroes of mythology and legend, which inspired these games to begin with, were able to do battle with huge monsters and win. It doesn't really bother me that you're able to take a hit from a dragon.

@Dagbiker said:

If I get a chance at work I will elabroat further, right now im on a phone. I like fiction where dragons are just creatures. Perhaps inteligent, perhaps rare, but just beasts. Also dragons dont have lips

Dragons aren't supposed to be beasts, they are sentient. They are intelligent and articulate, often skilled magicians. It really bothers me when they are just portrayed as overgrown flying lizards that breathe fire.

SamStrife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By SamStrife

@Devoid said:

No Caption Provided

What about this dragon?

Damn, you beat me to it!

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Dagbiker

@alexl86 said:

Heroes of mythology and legend, which inspired these games to begin with, were able to do battle with huge monsters and win. It doesn't really bother me that you're able to take a hit from a dragon.

@Dagbiker said:

Dragons aren't supposed to be beasts, they are sentient. They are intelligent and articulate, often skilled magicians. It really bothers me when they are just portrayed as overgrown flying lizards that breathe fire.

Dragons are made up creatures they can be anything a designer wants them to be.

alexl86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#35  Edited By alexl86

@Dagbiker: Then maybe they shouldn't be so creatively bankrupt to just make a mindless beast. I think this is something Skyrim and Elder Scrolls(when they have used Dragons) do well. Dragons are intelligent, they have a language, and apparently you can communicate with them as well. I agree it's up to each designer, but it's an unimaginative decision, in a genre that thrives on imagination.

CaLe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By CaLe

You can be shot hundreds of times in games and just have your health come back. If that's OK then why isn't this? 

Fruitcocoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Fruitcocoa

@Do_The_Manta_Ray: Totally agree. If they let you fight a dragon at the end of the game and that fights is hard as hell, then it'll be all fine.

Have to say, responses in this blog totally sold me on Skyrim more!

Avatar image for james_ex_machina
    James_ex_machina

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#38  Edited By James_ex_machina

I used to read Forgotten Realms, Dragonlance, and a few others I can't recall. I'm certain there were many books that included talking dragons(their own language).
    I've always thought of dragons as large dinosaur like magical creatures with human intelligence. Even though they are strong, smart, and magical the always seemed like they should be sluggish creatures with one weak spot underneath where the scales were few and don't cover their belly.
    It's all fantasy just like any comic book.

project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By project343

@MikeGosot said:

I'm sure there will be a few dragon encounters in the main quest. Even if there aren't, they will pester you as you're adventuring.

beforet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#40  Edited By beforet

Beowulf killed a fucking dragon...

bioblood22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#41  Edited By bioblood22

If I am not mistaken dragons are not in the game from the start. It takes some main story progression to get them into the gaming world of Skyrim.

konig_kei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By konig_kei

Speaking to dragons and surviving their breathing is like sooooo unrealistic which will make skyrim crap. Who would make a game that is unrealistic like that??? I mean it's almost as stupid as getting shot in a game and then having health regen! Pfft

clstirens

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By clstirens

@Beforet said:

In the great poem, didn't the dragon fucking kill beowulf? Like, wasn't that how the younger warrior took the torch of "kick ass warrior" by then slaying the dragon the killed Beowulf?

Grixxel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Grixxel
    No Caption Provided

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@clstirens said:

@Beforet said:

In the great poem, didn't the dragon fucking kill beowulf? Like, wasn't that how the younger warrior took the torch of "kick ass warrior" by then slaying the dragon the killed Beowulf?

Nah, the dragon fatally wounds Beowulf, who then kills the dragon. Although the other warrior is fighting with him.

phrosnite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#46  Edited By phrosnite

D&D much?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.