Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Elder Scrolls

Franchise »

The Elder Scrolls is a long-running franchise of role-playing games made by Bethesda Softworks. The series is known for offering much freedom to the player and many choices of how to play.

Elder Scrolls V hopes and dreams.

BaneFireLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

Edited By BaneFireLord

By now I expect this news story has become common knowledge. Provided it isn't an MMO, I'm totally  stoked. I've put about a solid week's worth of hours into Oblivion and roughly the same into Morrowind. In my eyes, Oblivion was a damned masterpiece. But there are a TON of things to improve upon.

Things that need improvement:

1. Good Story
    Oblivion's story was objectively terrible. Everyone accepts that. It was the usual, cut-and-dry, every cliche in the book fantasy tale. If Bethesda was smart about this, they would bring over the writers from Obsidian to write a decent goddam story for once.

2. New engine, or seriously overhaul the current one
    Gamebryo is buggy, and is getting buggier. Look at New Vegas. But even back with Oblivion, there were a myriad of problems and glitches (floating paintbrushes, anyone?). While some of those bugs were hell of fun, it's probably time to either switch to a fancy new engine or overhaul the shit out of Gamebryo. It's 2010, Bethesda!

3. Mounted Combat
    This was a big pain in the ass in Oblivion: you're riding through the forest, and suddenly a bear jumps you. In order to fight the bear, you have to get off your horse. Whilst you're fighting the bear, god knows where your stupid animal decided to run off to. What's the point of being able to use bows and shoot fireballs from your fingers when you can't do it from a horse? Aren't you supposed to be some sort of badass savior of the realm? I can one-hit demons, but I can't shoot an arrow when I'm sitting on a horse. Something needs to be done.

4. Gimme dat old Morrowind flava...
    There were a lot of improvements over Morrowind in Oblivion, but there were also some not-so-great changes, too. Because Cyrodiil is landlocked, there is no flight. There are no werewolves outside of mods. There is barely any difference in terrain across the entire province. There is no interplay between the various factions. The list goes on and on.

5. Balance, balance, balance
    Yes, Oblivion is a single-player game. And yes, it is unbalanced as fuck. Invisibility alone completely breaks the concept of stealth. What's the point in having a security skill when there is an easily obtainable item (Skeleton Key) that renders it completely worthless? Why are the guards psychic? Come on... 

6. NO Oblivion Gates/Equivalents
    This was a TERRIBLE idea, and the main reason I've never completely finished the main quest. It's fun the first two to three times, but then...urg. For a game with so much variety elsewhere, having your main story be a bunch of stupid dungeon runs is really, really bad for business. Don't do it again. I don't want to pop in Elder Scrolls V and be told that I have to go into 50 identical dungeons to find 50 identical pieces of gemstone to save the universe. I'd rather let the universe die.

7. More Varieties of Dungeon
    The dungeons of Oblivion are fairly fun. There's cool loot, creatures to fight and chests to open. Unfortunately, about 80% of their layouts and interior design are identical. Take all the time you need, Bethesda, but just give me some different textures than Int. Gloomy Dungeon and Int. Gloomy Mine.

8. Nicer Looking People
    I don't want Guild Wars-style "Everyone's a fucking supermodel!"   but I don't want World's Ugliest Humans either, which is what Oblivion gave us. Find a nice middle ground, if you please. 

*NOTE*: I am aware that there are mods for Oblivion that fix a number of these issues, but that's not the same as having the developer be smart about it to begin with.
    BaneFireLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By BaneFireLord

By now I expect this news story has become common knowledge. Provided it isn't an MMO, I'm totally  stoked. I've put about a solid week's worth of hours into Oblivion and roughly the same into Morrowind. In my eyes, Oblivion was a damned masterpiece. But there are a TON of things to improve upon.

Things that need improvement:

1. Good Story
    Oblivion's story was objectively terrible. Everyone accepts that. It was the usual, cut-and-dry, every cliche in the book fantasy tale. If Bethesda was smart about this, they would bring over the writers from Obsidian to write a decent goddam story for once.

2. New engine, or seriously overhaul the current one
    Gamebryo is buggy, and is getting buggier. Look at New Vegas. But even back with Oblivion, there were a myriad of problems and glitches (floating paintbrushes, anyone?). While some of those bugs were hell of fun, it's probably time to either switch to a fancy new engine or overhaul the shit out of Gamebryo. It's 2010, Bethesda!

3. Mounted Combat
    This was a big pain in the ass in Oblivion: you're riding through the forest, and suddenly a bear jumps you. In order to fight the bear, you have to get off your horse. Whilst you're fighting the bear, god knows where your stupid animal decided to run off to. What's the point of being able to use bows and shoot fireballs from your fingers when you can't do it from a horse? Aren't you supposed to be some sort of badass savior of the realm? I can one-hit demons, but I can't shoot an arrow when I'm sitting on a horse. Something needs to be done.

4. Gimme dat old Morrowind flava...
    There were a lot of improvements over Morrowind in Oblivion, but there were also some not-so-great changes, too. Because Cyrodiil is landlocked, there is no flight. There are no werewolves outside of mods. There is barely any difference in terrain across the entire province. There is no interplay between the various factions. The list goes on and on.

5. Balance, balance, balance
    Yes, Oblivion is a single-player game. And yes, it is unbalanced as fuck. Invisibility alone completely breaks the concept of stealth. What's the point in having a security skill when there is an easily obtainable item (Skeleton Key) that renders it completely worthless? Why are the guards psychic? Come on... 

6. NO Oblivion Gates/Equivalents
    This was a TERRIBLE idea, and the main reason I've never completely finished the main quest. It's fun the first two to three times, but then...urg. For a game with so much variety elsewhere, having your main story be a bunch of stupid dungeon runs is really, really bad for business. Don't do it again. I don't want to pop in Elder Scrolls V and be told that I have to go into 50 identical dungeons to find 50 identical pieces of gemstone to save the universe. I'd rather let the universe die.

7. More Varieties of Dungeon
    The dungeons of Oblivion are fairly fun. There's cool loot, creatures to fight and chests to open. Unfortunately, about 80% of their layouts and interior design are identical. Take all the time you need, Bethesda, but just give me some different textures than Int. Gloomy Dungeon and Int. Gloomy Mine.

8. Nicer Looking People
    I don't want Guild Wars-style "Everyone's a fucking supermodel!"   but I don't want World's Ugliest Humans either, which is what Oblivion gave us. Find a nice middle ground, if you please. 

*NOTE*: I am aware that there are mods for Oblivion that fix a number of these issues, but that's not the same as having the developer be smart about it to begin with.
    The_Tolman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By The_Tolman

I hope it just comes out within my lifetime.

Lucifer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Lucifer

I would like a improved leveling system. I was one of the few people who had nothing against the way monster leveled up with you in oblivion, but the system was definitely flawed.

ShaneDev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By ShaneDev

Thats a reasonable list. I dislike it when people list out how the game should be exactly like Morrowind in every way and although I never played that game it becomes oh so annoying to listen to.

I would like the improved engine but I am not as against it as some are and the repetitive dungeons needs to be addressed or just scale back on the number of them.    

gamefreak9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By gamefreak9

Well not exactly the leveling system but, i mean please make other races more viable, i mean High elf had the most mana, at the end of the game could hit as hard as every other race and if ur an archmage, make spells that are better than the racials, i think like orcs should be able to get their strength to like 140.

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#6  Edited By FancySoapsMan

I agree with #4. I hope they're as creative with whatever world they use for V as they were with Morrowind.

ShadowofIntent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By ShadowofIntent

As long as its not an mmo i think i'll be happy
    Then again i might be happy if it is aswell

FreakAche

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#8  Edited By FreakAche

All of my hopes and dreams for the game can be summed up into one request: "Make it more like Morrowind".

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#9  Edited By ArbitraryWater  Online

A reasonable list and basically everything I would also want in an Elder Scrolls V.

MisterMollusk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By MisterMollusk

Yeah, I'd really like more diverse environments. I got really tired of walking through the forest really fast. I don't care too much about the main story line, since there's usually so much other shite to do that you can play the game till you're tired and not touch the main story line. But yeah, those Obsidian dudes sure can write some good stuff. I wish both Bioware and Bethesda would just outsource story and quest duties to Obsidian. 

Entus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Entus

If they're going for a non-traditional leveling system, then make it actually natural and not so easy to min-max abuse.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By mordukai

I actually liked the Oblivion gates.  

Also, let me add another one. 

9. No "come over" from Fallout 3.  
    I know people love this game but I for one think it's a boring Oblivion rip off. I don't want to see anything coming over from Fallout 3, especially the VATS system which I fucking hate. 

haggis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#13  Edited By haggis

From what I've heard, they're going with a "heavily modified" version of the Oblivion engine. :/ 

As for the rest ... yeah, more diverse environments would be key. Mostly, though, I want a better story, better combat and more diverse voice acting. Even the best story can be killed by all the characters sounding exactly the same.

@Mordukai:  I completely disagree with you about Fallout 3 being a ripoff of Oblivion, and I absolutely love VATS. On the other hand, you're absolutely right: as much as I love VATS, it has no place in Elder Scrolls. Still, something needs to be done to the combat to make it more modern and less clunky.

snaptroll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By snaptroll

I just hope Bethesda hired a new lead character artist and animator for TES V because they are god aweful. Also what you said OP. Morrowind 1 upped Oblivion in almost every aspect besides combat and graphics.

BaneFireLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By BaneFireLord
    @snaptroll said:
    " I just hope Bethesda hired a new lead character artist and animator for TES V because they are god aweful. Also what you said OP. Morrowind 1 upped Oblivion in almost every aspect besides combat and graphics. "
    I also am SUPER fond of Oblivion's quest arrow.  There aren't even any Morrowind mods for one.
    keyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#16  Edited By keyhunter

There probably won't even be "mounts" in Skyrim. I'm straight up assuming they're going to go the route everyone else does with fantasy norse and have them either because of climate or culture not be able to ride horses.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.