Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released May 22, 2013

An action role-playing video game developed by NeocoreGames.

Just spotted this on steam.

cloudnineboya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Has anyone played this if so is it any good, it looks interesting been looking for a new rpg now that dark souls has destroyed my soul.

Cleric22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@cloudnineboya: Just found it a minute ago and thought I would check GB for info. Have you gotten into it yet? Looks in the vein of Torchlight, Diablo and Titan Quest

Dangerloves

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

If you're not adverse to free to play or always online, I recommend Grim Dawn. The F2P isn't even offensive.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

It looks nice. Hopefully we'll get a quick look.

Enigmatical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#5  Edited By Enigmatical

For a $13 ARPG, this game apes Diablo 3 and Torchlight 2 very nicely. I've been playing it for about 4 hours (just past ACT 1), and I'm finding it quite enjoyable. The voice acting is surprisingly well done, the graphics are nice (and grim), and the story is interesting (if not a little humorous here and there). Definitely scratching that ARPG itch with all the loot and the various stats and skills you can customize.

Came back to mention the game also enjoys throwing large amounts of enemies your way and is not shy to pour very powerful loot as well. The action gets to be quite enjoyable when you are ripping through 20+ guys with your sword or guns (along with your mouthy ghost companion).

I'm getting "Titan's Quest" vibes from the game... it's doing it's best to compete with Diablo's and Torchlight's and, again, for the price, it's doing a remarkable job.

Cleric22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@enigmatical: Glad to hear! Is anyone looking into the Multiplayer?

GuyIncognito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Try Path of Exile also.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

For a $13 ARPG, this game apes Diablo 3 and Torchlight 2 very nicely. I've been playing it for about 4 hours (just past ACT 1), and I'm finding it quite enjoyable. The voice acting is surprisingly well done, the graphics are nice (and grim), and the story is interesting (if not a little humorous here and there). Definitely scratching that ARPG itch with all the loot and the various stats and skills you can customize.

Came back to mention the game also enjoys throwing large amounts of enemies your way and is not shy to pour very powerful loot as well. The action gets to be quite enjoyable when you are ripping through 20+ guys with your sword or guns (along with your mouthy ghost companion).

I want to second all of the above, pretty much spot on on everything.

Was definitely surprised how well done it is for that price point. I was expecting something trashier. On the plus side I love Van Helsing. Even the movie. Something about that wide brimmed had and a cape strokes my fancy.

@cleric22 said:

@enigmatical: Glad to hear! Is anyone looking into the Multiplayer?

Judging by the responses on Steam forums the multiplayer seems to be quite buggy and problematic for a lot of people. Haven't tried it myself.

Cleric22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@guyincognito: Tried a good bit of it, and honestly I've got ARPG's coming out my ears between Titan Quest, Torchlight 2 and so on...but the whole Van Helsing lore is my wheelhouse. I'm a sucker for the faux history monster hunter type genre.

Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#11  Edited By Winternet

This is probably going to be the 2013 GOTY.

Enigmatical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cleric22: Yeah, the Van Helsing lore is really starting to show up in the second Act. That and I happen to be a sucker for steampunk and there appears to be plenty of that, as well.

cloudnineboya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ok then this is good news, i am happy to hear the story side seems to be well done i like me some helsing and that the gameplay is decent , for the price i'd be mad not to right. cheers for the replys .

Bandit_Fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By Bandit_Fox

So it's worth it? I just saw it on steam too and am curious...

Enigmatical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bandit_fox: I would say if you're a fan of Diablo 3 or Torchlight 2, at the current sale price, definitely. I played both of those games to death and this game is definitely scratching that itch. And, inside Act 2, I think I was underestimating the experience I was expecting, but this next part I found really exciting:

At the beginning of Act 2, you get a Secret Lair, which acts as your base of operations. That Secret Lair has upgradeable components with items that you find doing various optional quests and exploring. One of the upgrade paths lets you rework the Weapon/Armor Crafting to produce an item of a specific type (gun, sword, armor, etc) with specific enchantments (melee-focused, ranged-focused, ect). Something that was sorely missed in Diablo 3 when RNG showed its ugly face.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

@enigmatical: I just got to that part myself, is there any point to the traps?

Enigmatical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Enigmatical

@tennmuerti: honestly, no idea. It seems like there would be. Looking forward to investing more time this weekend.

LikeaMetaphor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've gotten at least halfway through act 2, and am enjoying it greatly. I love Diablo-esque games, but after never getting into Torchlight 2 or Path of Exile, this is fitting that niche nicely. The whole powerup system, where you spend rage to give your abilities a unique effect, breathes some life into the fairly limited tech trees.

At this point, I maxed out a shotgun skill. I more or less one shot everything. If that isn't fun, I don't know what is! :D

rebgav

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

At the beginning of Act 2, you get a Secret Lair, which acts as your base of operations. That Secret Lair has upgradeable components with items that you find doing various optional quests and exploring. One of the upgrade paths lets you rework the Weapon/Armor Crafting to produce an item of a specific type (gun, sword, armor, etc) with specific enchantments (melee-focused, ranged-focused, ect). Something that was sorely missed in Diablo 3 when RNG showed its ugly face.

That sounds pretty awesome.

Nardak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#20  Edited By Nardak

This game deserves a quicklook. Kinda wish that more people would be aware of this game.

The dialogue is actually quite funny and the story isnt bad either.

For a game that costs 14 euros this game has pretty high production values.

MikeLemmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 2

#21  Edited By MikeLemmer

I just got to that part myself, is there any point to the traps?

Yep:

They're used for a Tower Defense minigame: an army of minions attacks your secret base in 3 waves, and you have to kill them before they reach your base. Basically, it turns into Diablo meets Orcs Must Die! for a half-hour.

It's creative, and it works well with the game mechanics. I just wish the second half of the Second Act had more horror/monster and less mad steampunk; it's beginning to drag. Why am I being sent to Docks and Science Fairs when the background map has locations like the Shrine of Cain and Chambers of Sleeping Beauty marked?

poveren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Picked it up spontaneously as well. Played the hell out of Torchlight 1/2 so for $13 should be a steal.

poveren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Picked it up spontaneously as well. Played the hell out of Torchlight 1/2 so for $13 should be a steal.

poveren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

fox01313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

Agreed with it being rather fun & surprising little gem on steam. Someone needs to definitely point this game to Vinny as it has enough of Diablo/Torchlight as well as the Witcher in it that he'd probably enjoy. Does 100% need a quick look to it.

pweidman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#26  Edited By pweidman

Co-optimus recommended this game. Their review was pretty glowing. And now for $11.24, I gotta go ahead and add another loot driven arpg to my collection. :]

eag67

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fox01313 said:

Agreed with it being rather fun & surprising little gem on steam. Someone needs to definitely point this game to Vinny as it has enough of Diablo/Torchlight as well as the Witcher in it that he'd probably enjoy. Does 100% need a quick look to it.

Brad mentioned it on the bombcast 2 weeks ago saying he was watching Vinny play it and was on board with it. Id love to see a QL of it that might get me to purchase it.

Tyrrael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nobody is probably going to read this, but I need to vent. The developers of this game are flat out morons. I was respecing and, due to a glitch, permanently lost 4 skill points. I'm not a computer illiterate by any means, and I actually know a little about programming. That having been said, respecing is basic addition and subtraction. I have, let's say, 53 skill points. I use ten of them. Then, I decide I want them back, because I want to try something else. This is done without ever leaving the respect screen. That's 53-10+10=53. HOW DO YOU FUCK THIS UP! I'm just going to finish the game at a deficit, and then uninstall and never play it again. I know games are going to have glitches, but this developer can't get the most basic addition and subtraction right. I can only imagine what a clusterfuck their next game is going to be. Lesson learned. NeocoreGames, don't make anymore games until you go back and take elementary school math again. Rant over.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.