Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Last Story

Game » consists of 7 releases. Released Jan 27, 2011

A Wii-exclusive RPG from Final Fantasy creator Hironobu Sakaguchi's studio Mistwalker. It tells the tale of a young mercenary that dreams to become a knight, but finds himself immersed in adventure and political intrigue after a mysterious power is bestowed upon him.

I say....this looks like a Map! Take THAT Final Fantasy 13!

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Willy105

The Gooch continues to show stuff from his next RPG epic The Last Story, even though considering it's in the final phases of development and all he can show is concept art, I am guessing Nintendo wants this game a secret until E3 2010.

But anyway, he was not one to follow orders, so here is some more concept art for the game:

Concept art of a town.
    Concept art of a town.

Concept art of an alleyway
    Concept art of an alleyway

Map
    Map

Also, that thing about FF13 is just to get people to see this. I really couldn't care less about the hate for FF13. I think it has great music.
    rallier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By rallier

If there will be towns to explore a foot I will be very very happy.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By Jimbo

This could be the game that sells me a Wii :(

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 12

#4  Edited By Meowayne

If this is announced to use pre-rendered backgrounds I will personally travel to Japan and kiss Sakaguchi's feet. Maybe more than just his feet. 

(It won't. But look at those artworks and think: Like Final Fantasy IX, but with 2010 technology. Oh dear god.)

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Meowayne

Or... pre-drawn backgrounds. Like those artworks above. With hand-drawn and animated characters a la Muramasa. 

Nerdgasm.

Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Rhaknar
    @Meowayne said:
    " If this is announced to use pre-rendered backgrounds I will personally travel to Japan and kiss Sakaguchi's feet. Maybe more than just his feet.     (It won't. But look at those artworks and think: Like Final Fantasy IX, but with 2010 technology. Oh dear god.) "
    2010 technology? its on the Wii.

I kid, I kid, it was just too easy :( sorry >_<
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By Al3xand3r
    http://www.giantbomb.com/the-last-story/61-29904/mistwalkers-the-last-story-unveiling-begins-with-new-blog/35-393573/#17
    Dunno why you'd want pre-rendered or hand-drawn backgrounds considering the limitations in movement and views those would enforce. The wii is more than capable of offering beautiful large scale vistas as Tales of Graces as a whole and the recent Xenoblade images show. I think a mix of the two would be perfect in fact, the polish and bright colors of Graces with the more mature tone and pseudorealism of Xenoblade...
    championfetus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By championfetus

looks like Alexandria from FFIX

orionx65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By orionx65
    @Jimbo said:
    " This could be the game that sells me a Wii :( "
    Same here, own all systems this gen except the wii but with this added to it's library there might just be enough interesting games for me to buy one, it's not like they are expensive anymore either.
    Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Meowayne
    @Rhaknar said:
    2010 technology? its on the Wii.
    So? The backgrounds wouldn't be created on the Wii. 

The REmake had brilliantly lighted, animated, detailed and simply awesome environments with lots of real-time elements and lighting. That was 8 years ago. 
    Because its on the Wii, I would so like to see Mistwalker tell this story with camera angles and environments that were rendered, lighted and animated piece-by-piece in a traditional PSX Final Fantasy way. 

Oh man... one can dream.
    Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Meowayne
    @Al3xand3r said:

Dunno why you'd want pre-rendered or hand-drawn backgrounds
    I don't consider any Wii game to be better looking or as atmospheric and immersive than Final Fantasy IX. In fact I consider IX and REmake to be the pinnacles of video game graphics, even though I am not a huge fan of both games.

I know. I am weird that way. I know that the PS3 and 360 can produce world that look much like the environments of VIII and IX, only in real-time. But polygonal environments will always be less immersive and atmospheric for me than those that are drawn and/or rendered.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.