Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Nov 18, 2011

Link descends from his floating continent home to explore the dark and dangerous world below with the help of a magical sword, in this Wii installment of the Legend of Zelda series.

Skyward Sword should have been built ground up for Wii U

mac_n_nina

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By mac_n_nina

Skyward Sword should have been built ground up for Wii U as a launch title. What better way to launch than with a new epic Zelda adventure? Don't get me wrong, I think Skyward Sword is fantastic, but I feel pretty irritated by how limited it is. The combat is fantastic, the best in the series there is no doubt about that, but everything else feels scaled down. The areas aren't nearly as big and Nintendo compensated by allowing you to backtrack to the same areas and uncover new things which is nice, but not really what I wanted. Also some of the areas such as Skyloft feel a bit empty. Then there is also the art style. The art style is nice and looks pretty even on an HD display, however I can't help but to feel that the only reason why Nintendo went with the cartoony graphics again is because Wii can't handle anything better. It just sucks knowing that Wii U is about a year or even less away and there won't be a new console Zelda game for about 5 years. Imagine what hyrule field could have looked like and how big it could have been if the game were on Wii U. When I think of Zelda I think of epic. I mean come on, no one could argue that there is a more epic adventure than the one Link sets out on however technically the latest installment is not that epic especially when it doesn't really one up the previous. Remember I'm not talking about the story. Those are just my 2 cents feel free to post yours.

TheGanjaKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By TheGanjaKing

I think having an opinion is a splendid thing to have, but too often people forget to look at what is there and instead choose to focus on hypotheticals, which seems a bit misplaced to me. Obviously the game would look and maybe even handle better in the coming generation, there's no point in doubting that, but you said it yourself, the game is fantastic. As with everything in life, learn to appreciate what you are given and not what could have been. Otherwise you're going to be continuously disappointed by what comes next. Again though, just an opinion.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By Animasta

twilight princess anyone?

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#4  Edited By Marz

no i believe they set out what the wanted to accomplish with this game, make full use of the capabilities of the wii.   This game was supposed to come out like 2 years ago... if they delayed it another year people would be waiting outside nintendo offices with pitchforks.

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#5  Edited By TaliciaDragonsong

Game is quite great, again a fresh wind through the industry because even after 25 years and the constant namecalling (ITS ALWAYS THE SAME, oh look Call of Battlefield: Modern Fragfest 4!) it still manages to deliver  great experience and makes a Zelda fan weep with joy once again.

That said, I cannot really agree with most of what you said, I think Skyloft has a perfect sense of space compared to some of the other towns in the Zelda games, the art style reminds me a lot of Wind Waker (never a bad thing) and really mixes it perfectly with TP and OoT imo, it looks magical yet smooth.  Look at Monster Hunter Tri, great graphics and no doubt Zelda would look good in such a style, but I think that there's also an certain aspect to the style they used in Skyward Sword, it makes the game look way better because of it and people won't cry foul over their delicate eyes being cut by sharp pixels poking out.

I much rather see them perfect yet another Zelda for the Wii-U, if they must, then make me wait any longer then they have with SS.
    And I can't bloody wait until they drop the motion controls, its fun and it works, but I would switch to gamepad if possible, motion is just...just not doing it for me.

mac_n_nina

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By mac_n_nina

@Animasta said:

twilight princess anyone?

TP was a GCube port. It wasn't built ground up for Wii. If it was the motion controls wouldn't have been tacked on.

@TaliciaDragonsong: I actually prefer this control style over the traditional controller.

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#7  Edited By TaliciaDragonsong
    @mac_n_nina
    I understand, it's not at all bad, just at times it feels...tacked on, like you said with TP.
    Might also be my age, I'm noting a declining interest in all things Nintendo, but that also might be because they're not doing much interesting stuff with all the franchises they have, instead bank it all on silly 'innovations' while expecting a few known titles to carry them.
    Which is working sadly enough, but I cannot get the same enthusiasm for it as I used to.

I almost let Zelda fly over my head this time, not expecting it to be any good...but then I slapped myself and got it, it's totally worth it.
    Jack268

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Jack268

They started working on SS before the original Wii was even released. Even if I would also like to see what 7 years in development looks like I don't even think the technology they have in the Wii U existed back then.

mac_n_nina

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By mac_n_nina

@Jack268 said:

They started working on SS before the original Wii was even released. Even if I would also like to see what 7 years in development looks like I don't even think the technology they have in the Wii U existed back then.

XBOX 360 came out 7 years ago.

@TaliciaDragonsong: I know how you feel. The game would have been just as good if it used the standard GCube controller, but I disagree with you saying that they feel tacked on. The game was made for the WiiMote+ and it controls beautifully. TP had tacked on motion controls because they were unresponsive and were not any better or precise than the controller.

Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10  Edited By Dalai

I prefer having Skyward Sword come out now rather than as a launch game since Nintendo is fully aware of what the Wii is capable of doing.

Plus, how can anyone truly develop a game from the ground up on a console that in many ways still isn't a finished product?

OllyOxenFree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#11  Edited By OllyOxenFree

@mac_n_nina said:

@Jack268 said:

@TaliciaDragonsong: I know how you feel. The game would have been just as good if it used the standard GCube controller, but I disagree with you saying that they feel tacked on. The game was made for the WiiMote+ and it controls beautifully. TP had tacked on motion controls because they were unresponsive and were not any better or precise than the controller.

Nope, 6. Unless it's 2012 now which then I will proceed to trip the fuck out.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#12  Edited By JasonR86

@mac_n_nina:

The game was worked on for 5 years for the Wii. If it had been scrapped and re-done for the Wii-U there's no way it wouldn't have had a drop in quality. No game should be in development for that long.

mac_n_nina

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By mac_n_nina

@OllyOxenFree said:

@mac_n_nina said:

@Jack268 said:

Nope, 6. Unless it's 2012 now which then I will proceed to trip the fuck out.

Ok, but the 360 wasn't using the most modern tech out at the time so it's technically older than even 7 years also for people like me who bought it at launch it feels like a lifetime passed since it came out. Next gen needs to arrive now.

Avatar image for thechronodarkness
    thechronodarkness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd say, release a wii U version, using the screen to do your sword swipes, and make an hd version. I mean...the game looks fine. But, rendering the game in 720p would be a huge graphical upgrade. This game isn't too bad, but that stretched widescreen twilight princess looks pretty bad on any decent hdtv.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15  Edited By LiquidPrince

I'd rather have it end cycle perfected Wii game, rather then beginning cycle Wii U game, where they are tested random stuff with the screen and such.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.