Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Order: 1886

Game » consists of 4 releases. Released Feb 20, 2015

A third-person shooter set in a steampunk-themed alternate timeline, with a dash of the supernatural. Developed by Ready at Dawn Studios for the PlayStation 4.

New screens and gif from the upcoming trailer (tomorrow)

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Looks like we got a new leak from the upcoming new gameplay trailer which will be released tomorrow^^

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

and here are some gifs:

As I said before trailer and gameplay vid will be released tomorrow or in like 16 hours from now on but at least we got some leaks^^

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By ArtisanBreads

It looks good but that's sure some covershooting. At least he is facing the cover it looks like.

Hopefully the cover is a bit more subtle like Max Payne 3, where you could definitely manage to never use it.

RazielCuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By RazielCuts

Hmmm....third person cover shooter.....HMMMM...We shall see The Order, we shall see. I love everything about the setting, time period and art direction though.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Darji

@artisanbreads: According to the info we have so far: Destruction plays a very big role in this game. We already saw screen with a huge hole in some wall so I expect you can do this everywhere. Not to a Battlefield level but very close to it. Also according to some people at neogaf the melee fight scene is not a cut scene but gameplay.

Visually it looks really stunning.

Destruction shot:

No Caption Provided

Steadying

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

That second to last screenshot doesn't look fantastic, but everything else kinda does. Weird. Really curious to see what the hell this game is.

Avatar image for awesomeusername
    awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Oh man. I'm pumped for that trailer and it looks like it'll show gameplay. Color me excited.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well, my brain managed to mix up "The Order 1866" with "Cyberpunk 2077." Now I'm disappointed. This looks cool too, though.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Really hope they don't waste such an interesting setting on yet another cover-based third person shooter.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 10

Nothing but bits.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Darji

Apparently realtime or better gameplay since they wanted to have no difference at all in cutscenes and gameplay. Next gen is here^^

I really love the atmosphere of this one.

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By SSully

Looks pretty good visually so far. I look forward to an actual video

mosdl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

I could handle an average cover based shooter if the setting is interesting enough.

Strife777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Strife777

I don't mind it being a cover based shooter at all. The artistic look of the game is fantastic in my opinion. Those mustaches.

As far as technical visuals go, this seems like possibly one of the best-looking games to ever come out (edit: Well, it's not out, but you know what I mean). The lighting is incredible.

Of course, those are compressed screens and short gifs, so it's better to just hold judgement, positive or negative, until more proper footage is shown.

Deathstriker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The graphics look crazy, but I've heard it's more or less a Gears clone. That plus no MP sounds kinda iffy, but it does look very, very good.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

man..... still not sure about that combat..... like maybe I've been playing too much Dishonored and thinking about Theif as the type of this genre..... what happen to the werewolves?

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They've made some awesome games, with Chains of Olympus being one of my favorite God of War games. Looking forward to seeing what they could do on this scale.

Bobbyr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Bobbyr

I'm a fan of a good mustache or two and those are some dapper staches

Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

A cover-based 3rd person shooter with really brown environments; we've come so far since 2006.

Let's hope there's actually more to it than that. The setting looks interesting but the gameplay has to support it.

ez123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#19  Edited By ez123

A cover-based 3rd person shooter with really brown environments; we've come so far since 2006.

I'm down with all of that, no matter what year it is. QTEs, not so much. It won't be the Gears-ness of this game that might make me skip it.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#20  Edited By Yummylee

This game simply has to have some sort of tactics gameplay to it right?... A cover-based TPS, starring what looks to be a group of four, and yet it doesn't have any sort of cooperative gameplay. Which in itself is a bit of an oxymoron these days, and for good reason. But if it at least has some form of tactics ala Binary Domain/Mass Effect/The Bureau, then it'll be much easier to swallow.

Given that the developers have been routinely citing Uncharted 2 as a pretty big inspiration, however, that also leads me to believe that this could instead primarily function as a graphical showpiece with some TPS gameplay wrapped around it. Which would be really disappointing if that's to be the case. Hell, the lack of any cooperative gameplay options has already soured my perception of this game a little.

Maybe it'll at least have a really great story or something...

VeggiesBro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By VeggiesBro

Not really sure what to make of it yet. It looks great visually, but I guess time will tell if I truly am interested in trying it out.

KillEm_Dafoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

I'm liking the way this looks, though I hope cover-based shooting isn't all there is to do. I also really want to see what combat against the monsters is like. This game has such great potential, I just hope it can deliver.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Darji

I guess at least some footage was no leaked XD

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By GunstarRed

After watching the video I don't know how to feel. I love me some cover based third person shooters, and this looks absolutely gorgeous. But I am pretty bummed out about the lack of co-op. Maybe the whole team won't be with you for the entire game, but if they are it will seem like a strange omission.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

If that's all to be seen thus far, with every other video game site planning to post the same footage, then they're not doing much to deter what I imagine this game is going to be -- a graphical showpiece that exists for graphics sake and nothing more. The PS4's own Heavenly Sword you could say.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Darji

@yummylee said:

If that's all to be seen thus far, with every other video game site planning to post the same footage, then they're not doing much to deter what I imagine this game is going to be -- a graphical showpiece that exists for graphics sake and nothing more. The PS4's own Heavenly Sword you could say.

that is why I was so mad about not showing the actual demo to the public but let the press handle that through stupid articles.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

After watching the video I don't know how to feel. I love me some cover based third person shooters, and this looks absolutely gorgeous. But I am pretty bummed out about the lack of co-op. Maybe the whole team won't be with you for the entire game, but if they are it will seem like a strange omission.

Agreed. This is looking like Sony's answer to Gears of War, which makes a lack of co-op all the more disappointing.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Darji

previews are up and that is all footage we will get from a 40 minute presentation.

Loading Video...

Also official trailer which really shows nothing. #4the players Sony? No If you care about players show us the demo as well. The press should not be entitled to this alone while the people who are buying games only get like 2 minutes of footage. F that,,,,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQzm9lwc2Tk

ChrisHarris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@strife777 said:

Those mustaches.

This is clearly a game made for me.

sub_o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Let's hope there's actually more to it than that. The setting looks interesting but the gameplay has to support it.

Sometimes I really wonder, if it's really most action games take place in brown environment, or the western (and in some cases, eastern) and urban architectures are just generally not that colourful. Now I want to live in colourful city where all buildings have pastel colours

Marcsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Still a day one purchase for me.

Castiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#32  Edited By Castiel

I'm a little tired of studios not showing more to the public. Now I know that they don't have to show us anything, so I take what little I can get I guess, but this small amount of footage really doesn't change my anticapation one way or the other.

I just wish they would at least release 4-5 minutes of unedited footage from the 40 minute presentation.

Deathstriker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Deathstriker

@darji said:

previews are up and that is all footage we will get from a 40 minute presentation.

Loading Video...

Also official trailer which really shows nothing. #4the players Sony? No If you care about players show us the demo as well. The press should not be entitled to this alone while the people who are buying games only get like 2 minutes of footage. F that,,,,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQzm9lwc2Tk

Sadly, I can't say that did anything for me. It's silly they'd release this footage when it makes their game look like a generic shooter. They should've shown off monsters, the more interesting guns, if the heroes will have powers, etc. Seeing dudes with old guns shooting at each other in a brown alley is not exciting. Hopefully Sony has another big game this year besides this and Infamous, since they both look iffy. The graphics are great, but gameplay and innovation matter more.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Next gen conveniently placed chest high walls and QTEs here I come!

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By ArtisanBreads

From "basically always does glowing previews" IGN:

The brief 10-minute hands-off demo I witnessed confirmed some of my fears. The portion of the adventure I saw ran relatively poorly, with sudden, sharp transitions between scenes, audio issues, and a lagging framerate. Ready at Dawn’s CEO and Founder Ru Weerasuriya was quick to point out that this sliver of the game wasn’t QA tested and optimized at all, and that there might be problems. But I was left wondering how this could be the best 10 minutes of the game the studio had to show, especially when he reiterated that The Order would indeed launch in 2014.

But the game quickly turned into something a bit more typical the further we got into the demo. Technical issues aside, seamless transitions between cutscenes and gameplay are well-executed, but The Order: 1886 seems to be a fairly ordinary third-person shooter at its core. The camera angle and cover-based gameplay are more reminiscent of Gears of War than Uncharted, and while seeing it was exciting – and while the game no doubt looks fun – some of its mystique was siphoned away. We weren’t shown anything in this brief 10-minute glimpse not done in other third-person shooters. There are even quick-time events.

There are positives in here too, to be clear. Sounds like the setting and atmosphere is pretty interesting (even if it gets pretty whacky with stuff like Walkie Talkies) and the faces look great. And hell, a cover shooter can still be fun now. I just hope it's gonna be more or have some tricks up its sleeve or I'm not rushing out to play it, I'll probably just wait for a sale.

------

The Polygon preview was more positive about the graphics but even harsher I'd say on the gameplay. But I found this part funny:

"We're building weapons that were not only cool and technologically advanced but believable at the time," Weerasuriya said. "These weapons did not exist, but every piece of it, the research [pulled] from things that existed at the time." The discrete parts — the metals, the capacitors, the wooden stocks — are pieced together, then meshed with the spirit of modern-day weapons to create something fantastical, but grounded by some tie to reality.

"We don't use the word sci-fi, we make weapons that feel authentic to the time."

I sort of get what he's saying but "believable at the time" is hilarious. No dude, not believable at the time, remotely.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@artisanbreads: That is why they should have shown the Demo to the public and not the press.

mosdl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Its too early for footage I think, gotta keep something for e3

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mosdl said:

They showed the press a 12 minute Demo so no it is not too early. If you are afraid of spoilers do not watch it but right now no one really knows what to think of this footage. Yes it looks fantastic but no one knows how it plays at all except for some badly written previews of some so called game critics.

mosdl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darji said:
    @mosdl said:

They showed the press a 12 minute Demo so no it is not too early. If you are afraid of spoilers do not watch it but right now no one really knows what to think of this footage. Yes it looks fantastic but no one knows how it plays at all except for some badly written previews of some so called game critics.

Pretty traditional: show press some footage to get some coverage, release the footage at E3 and then start releasing more and more closer to launch.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Darji

@mosdl said:

@darji said:
    @mosdl said:

Pretty traditional: show press some footage to get some coverage, release the footage at E3 and then start releasing more and more closer to launch.

Yeah and we need to get away from this. Remember Sony's slogan? 4theplayers and not 4thepress.

How does it make sense to get a preview of something the press has already seen and then show it off 4-5 month later to the crowd? Yeah that will help the press also getting hyped and talk about the stuff that happened... Look at the reactions now. Everyone is disappointing because it was hyped up by the press and that is all we got to see?

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

still don't know man

it's beautiful, excellent detail, realistic character models. But man cover based shooting that's it? no magic? no open world? no silly mustache power ups? Okay, lets say this game went to a Hammer Horror style, then show off cool monsters, more character personality, Gore and of course women because that's what they were known for. Even Infamous when it was early on were talking about it's cover based mechanics but then it had the big open world and doing goofy things like taking photos and judging posters.

I don't know, this isn't really getting anything out of me. I love period piece/ horror genre and even I feel dead to this game.

Zirilius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@crithon said:

still don't know man

it's beautiful, excellent detail, realistic character models. But man cover based shooting that's it? no magic? no open world? no silly mustache power ups? Okay, lets say this game went to a Hammer Horror style, then show off cool monsters, more character personality, Gore and of course women because that's what they were known for. Even Infamous when it was early on were talking about it's cover based mechanics but then it had the big open world and doing goofy things like taking photos and judging posters.

I don't know, this isn't really getting anything out of me. I love period piece/ horror genre and even I feel dead to this game.

Maybe they're holding stuff back till E3. Seems like this is a late summer/holiday release so I'd imagine they are holding something back. Why do an Arthurian tale if there isn't going to be something mystical about it?

Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Looks like a boring third person shooter set in a potentially interesting place and time but rather than really trying to make the setting feel unique they just went "err yeah we made it like near future for back then so we can give you an assault rifle have fun"

Looks pretty though

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zirilius: hmmmmmmm your right..... so right now my reaction is more like wolfenstien? So far it feels like an impressive tech demo of a head, showing off fidelity then actual well anything. Man I'd love to just get excited about a character with graphics this good.

Castiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#45  Edited By Castiel

Well I was gonna link to the IGN preview but someone else already did, but that apparently explains why don't get to see more footage of the game.

Apparently it didn't run too well, which isn't that surprising; if there is one thing I have learned it's that every game is basically broken up to the very last moments of development.

So I guess we get our first real glimpse of the game at E3 if we don't see anything before.

Also we won't see the really innovative games until a a year or two into the PS4's lifetime.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"not steampunk, but then Nikolas Tesla if he was further in a victorian era." "It's not magic but we live in the real world and there is belief of mysticism." and "we know each other as a team and we feel we know what is next gen."

this is an odd interview. Normally you get interviews like early on with Gears of War Cliff B going out saying "it's new you haven't tried anything like this before, trust me it's like chocolate and peanut butter." Or even Criterion's Black "we don't have PC port and we don't have multiplayer, we are focusing on console." But man this goes on for a while.

LoveSpuds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By LoveSpuds

I personally think this game looks absolutely epic. For the naysayers out there, there is a reason that 3rd/1st person shooters, racers and sports games get made - its because huge portions of the gaming community still enjoy them.

I am finding it increasingly frustrating that unless a game has some weird angle or mechanic it is considered to be somehow boring or uninspiring. The fact is that the content on every medium out there is an iteration on what has gone before. At the very worst this game could be a 3rd person cover based game but set in an utterly incredible universe with what appear to be unparalleled production values - is that really such an awful thing? Alternatively, it could be full of new ideas and mechanics that iterate on the Gears gameplay mechanics but bring a much better story in a much more interesting universe with those same unparalleled production values. Surely its a win win situation right?

I guess I am always excited for the next game, and unless something looks truly awful I will always be excited to see how any given game pans out, especially one that looks this good while still being 8 months or more from release.

kishinfoulux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Eh...another Sony third person shooter I probably won't care for. Setting does nothing for more. Then again not sure what people were expecting from this.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lovespuds: I guess I'm in that camp of "it's a third person shooter," complaint department. I'm into the whole alternative history pulp fiction stories, and I love the graphics. But I think the issue is, there isn't much going for it. I think a great comparison would be 2008 when Infamous was first being shown because early on they introduced "hey you could play this like Gears of war, stick up next to cover, blind fire and then go in for more precision shots." And that's something never took away from it's core game in fact it was a lot of fun, but personally I button mashed my shots and didn't worry about actual skills in infamous. Or even Dark Void also showed off third person cover mechanics and they tried to spin it as "VERTICAL COVER!" Again these are previews to games you don't expect to be mediocre and it's not that I'm numb to this, I see it a lot and at times it can become comfortable..... but again what else is there? Right now they are showing off humans who aren't really that special, rebel types, in fact I don't think they shot back, and the branching quick time events that go into different types of items maybe plays like Yakuza with it's environments and grapple attacks? But even Yakuza has a fun over the top sense with it's animation.

Right now I'm hoping it's more like League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, since they announced it's based on King Arthur tale, but even then there's not much interaction going on with these characters.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.