The Secret Of Monkey Island - Special Edition Coming to XBLA?

#1 Posted by JackiJinx (3089 posts) -

According to GamerBytes, the German rating board went and leaked a special edition to the Secret of Monkey Island.

Trying to verify from the USK site if this is actually true, but the site's search engine does not seem to be working at this time.

I don't know about anyone else, but if this is actually true, then my giddiness will be raised to enthralled.

#2 Posted by LAMP (160 posts) -

KILL YOUR IDOLS

#3 Edited by L33tfella_H (901 posts) -

Ron Gilbert may or may not be impressed.
#4 Posted by NogginBot (26 posts) -

SOld! Monkey island games are amazing!

#5 Posted by JacobBrodersen (316 posts) -

If there is anything different about it, story wise, and Ron Gilbert has nothing to do with it, it's just crap. Cause you don't want to play an old-school point and click with a game pad.

#6 Posted by WilliamRLBaker (4777 posts) -
JacobBrodersen said:
If there is anything different about it, story wise, and Ron Gilbert has nothing to do with it, it's just ... [more]
Monkey island or classic point and clicks were never know for their needful of speed so having an analog click onscreen wont be bad even if it is slow, as for accuracy maybe but i don't remember the monkey island games having too many things that you had to have great accuracy to click..
#7 Posted by BloodRedReaper (107 posts) -

I scoured the site and see no mention. Maybe it was retracted?

#8 Posted by lord_canti (1504 posts) -

monkey island games are awsome i would buy if i had a xbox......i defiantely will if it comes out on ps3

#9 Edited by JackiJinx (3089 posts) -
JacobBrodersen said:
If there is anything different about it, story wise, and Ron Gilbert has nothing to do with it, it's just ... [more]
After Escape from Monkey Island, I can see how they'd do it with a game pad. Analog stick is character movement while various buttons act as inspect, grab, talk, inventory, etc.
#10 Posted by JacobBrodersen (316 posts) -

No, it's no the accuracy thats the problem, well it kinda is. If you have it as fast as a mouse, it would be annoying to target different spots, also, moving the controller from point A to one of the options (Talk to, pick up, push etc etc) back to point A would be insanely frustrating with an inaccurate fast moving controller, and tedious and boring if the controller was slow and precise.
They could ofcause remake the whole item and options system, by changing it to radial menus ala Grim Fandango.

But the whole point is that even if they added a few story elements to it, and if Ron Gilbert isn't on the writing team, it's not canon, and therefore meaningless.

And if they don't add to the story, then whats the point? Better graphics?

#11 Posted by WilliamRLBaker (4777 posts) -
JacobBrodersen said:
No, it's no the accuracy thats the problem, well it kinda is. If you have it as fast as a ... [more]
I doubt they will change any thing cause its not mentioned in the source of it being changed, as for that whats the point? reviving one of the most beloved and amazing games EVER giving millions a chance to play something they've never seen before.  I play fallout 3 and you can pick stuff up and move it around and in a 3d enviorment its pretty easy with the 360 controller.
but yeah the major point and only true point is giving a whole new generation of gamers a glimpse at greatness. THIS better fucking come to america or ill go to redmond and kick billgates ass and make him sign the import papers for this marvel.
#12 Posted by JackiJinx (3089 posts) -
JacobBrodersen said:
No, it's no the accuracy thats the problem, well it kinda is. If you have it as fast as a ... [more]
What's the point? I see this as one of two things. One, they're testing the market to see how well the MI series still stands up. Or Two, they're just doing the retro trend and bringing back an older game for a new audience.

I can't say that I was very happy with the style of control in Escape of Monkey Island, but I was just happy to get a sequel with the same sort of antics that I love. That being said, I've never played the first or second in the series and would be damned if anyone try to interfere with the possibility of it becoming much more accessible to the current generation market.
#13 Posted by JacobBrodersen (316 posts) -
WilliamRLBaker said:
JacobBrodersen said: No, it's no the accuracy thats the problem, well it kinda is. If you have it as fast ... [more]
Well thats true, the game isn't easy to find legally anymore.

But i was thinking, what would you guys think of a fully remade, HD remake, with voice acting? So that's New Sprites, new backgrounds, voice acting and revised music. Same story, same writing.
#14 Posted by Linkyshinks (9880 posts) -

Awesome news! :D

#15 Edited by Meowayne (6084 posts) -
The USK site is back up.

IT'S NOT THERE.

Either they removed it (I don't know if that's ever happened or if publishers can request that) or it was never there in the first place.

Boris Schneider-Johne, product manager of Microsoft Germany (and a former LucaArts employee) said that he has "no knowledge" of such a title.

Sorry guys. Just a rumor for now.
#16 Posted by Stephen_Von_Cloud (1530 posts) -

Already have a copy that works on my PC but that's cool if they bring it to a new audience.  Really great game.

#17 Posted by Linkyshinks (9880 posts) -

I would love to see all my favourite point an clicks on Wii, ideally.

#18 Posted by Meowayne (6084 posts) -
Linkyshinks said:
I would love to see all my favourite point an clicks on Wii, ideally.
It's easy.

#19 Posted by Linkyshinks (9880 posts) -

I don't use Homebrew on my Wii's.

#20 Posted by Meowayne (6084 posts) -

You should. It makes them approx. 4.78 times more awesome.

#21 Posted by JackiJinx (3089 posts) -
Meowayne said:
The USK site is back up.IT'S NOT THERE.Either they removed it (I don't know if that's ever happened or if ... [more]
Yep. Not there. Supposedly, it was pulled. I'm going to go with that theory for now. Kotaku just reported on it dishing out a few extra details including a supposed secret E3 reveal.

More spoiled surprised? Makes me a sad panda.
#22 Posted by Al3xand3r (7574 posts) -

It's hardly a megaton type game nowadays to try and keep it so secret... I guess it depends on how "special" this edition is but still...

#23 Posted by lord_canti (1504 posts) -

what if its monkey island but is given the bionic commando rearmmed or street fighter HD remix treatment  and then that will be announced at E3 :P

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.