Inverted controls?!

#1 Edited by jasonefmonk (350 posts) -

Sorry if I missed the memo. I was avoiding this game until it was closer to completion because subscription games and online passes make me wary.

So I downloaded episode one on my PS3 and was immediately disappointed. No options for inverted thumb stick controls. I can't find any information that suggests Telltale will fix this with a patch or on the disc release. Anyone heard any positive news?

I think it is pretty lame and lazy when I have over 30 PS3 games and while they might not all have camera controls, the ones that do always give you the right options. Journey has inverted options, it's inexcusable to me that this doesn't.

I started a refund process with Sony, hopefully that goes well. In the event they never fix the console version of the game, what would be my next best system? I have a 13" laptop that could run it, and an iPhone 4. It will be selling the game short missing out on surround sound and a big(er) screen, but I never wanted to miss this experience.

Edit to show my post further down:

said:

Just wanted to come back and say that after playing through episode one, I ended up purchasing the rest of the season and finished it last night. For the most part the reticle isn't attached to your character in any meaningful way. It really does move around like a cursor as said.

That was a fun and powerful experience. There were a few instances where frame hitches caused me to miss actionable moments and I had to re-load. That sucked but I still loved the experience. I don't know that this has as much player agency as Heavy Rain but it's story is better told and without loose ends.

And thanks for convincing me to play, for those that did.

#2 Posted by HistoryInRust (6274 posts) -

You don't think filing for a refund because it doesn't have inverted controls is a bit of an overreaction? You could just try to tough it out. I play inverted and got used to the controls within the first episode. Plus, the game barely requires you have sharp, shooter-like reflexes.

#3 Edited by jasonefmonk (350 posts) -

@HistoryInRust said:

You don't think filing for a refund because it doesn't have inverted controls is a bit of an overreaction? You could just try to tough it out. I play inverted and got used to the controls within the first episode. Plus, the game barely requires you have sharp, shooter-like reflexes.

That's good to hear, however I don't think I overreacted by requesting a refund. I would not have bought it if I had known before hand; I think that's pretty telling. I want a similar experience that I got from playing Heavy Rain. I want to be immersed and not be worried about the accuracy of what I'm doing. When I have to make quick decisions I want the response to be natural and intuitive. I don't want to be loading a save because I didn't do what I intended at a crucial moment. Not playing inverted y-axis is tough for me, it's how I've always played.

To me it qualifies as broken, and maybe that is my overstep. But I see it as a necessary accommodation like left handed control options and subtitles.

#4 Posted by Quid_Pro_Bono (239 posts) -

@jasonefmonk: For what it's worth, I basically can NOT play a game without inverted y-axis on a gamepad and I, like HistoryInRust, was fine after like 5 minutes in the first episode. Just treat it like a mouse cursor. You generally just need to get the cursor near the target and mash the A button to get what you need done.

#5 Posted by laserbolts (5311 posts) -

So they made the game for superior beings. I pity you.

#6 Posted by Morningstar (2142 posts) -

@Quid_Pro_Bono said:

@jasonefmonk: For what it's worth, I basically can NOT play a game without inverted y-axis on a gamepad and I, like HistoryInRust, was fine after like 5 minutes in the first episode. Just treat it like a mouse cursor. You generally just need to get the cursor near the target and mash the A button to get what you need done.

Same here, I was bummed out and considered stopping but kept on and was rewarded with a great game. Controls don't matter much here.

#7 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7051 posts) -
@laserbolts
So they made the game for superior beings. I pity you.
Down with Inverts!
#8 Posted by myketuna (1653 posts) -

I played the PS3 version of the first episode at a friend's house and found this out. But I was gonna get on PC anyway, so I don't have this problem. I got used to the non-inversion fairly quickly though.

#9 Posted by jasonefmonk (350 posts) -

@HistoryInRust said:

... I play inverted and got used to the controls within the first episode. Plus, the game barely requires you have sharp, shooter-like reflexes.

@Quid_Pro_Bono said:

... For what it's worth, I basically can NOT play a game without inverted y-axis on a gamepad and I, like HistoryInRust, was fine after like 5 minutes in the first episode. Just treat it like a mouse cursor. You generally just need to get the cursor near the target and mash the A button to get what you need done.

@Morningstar said:

... Same here, I was bummed out and considered stopping but kept on and was rewarded with a great game. Controls don't matter much here.

@myketuna said:

... I got used to the non-inversion fairly quickly though.

Seems like everyone agrees, I'll have to give it a shot. The better audio/video will probably be worth it. Thanks for the friendly nudge.

As a side note, it doesn't seem like any of the bombcrew are inverted players. I seem to remember them talking about it once, but can't remember their preference.

#10 Posted by myketuna (1653 posts) -

@jasonefmonk said:

As a side note, it doesn't seem like any of the bombcrew are inverted players. I seem to remember them talking about it once, but can't remember their preference.

I believe Vinny is inverted and maybe Brad? Besides that, the rest are "normies". And they fucking "hate" us (the inverted folk).

#11 Posted by GunstarRed (5032 posts) -

I'd heard about the non-invertedness of the game and it was something that has been putting me off getting it. I'd have liked to play it on the 360, but I guess I'm just gonna have to get it in the Steam sale now. I find it almost impossible to play games without an inverted option, It's not something I'm able to just adapt to.

#12 Edited by wemibelec90 (1553 posts) -

@GunstarRed said:

I'd heard about the non-invertedness of the game and it was something that has been putting me off getting it. I'd have liked to play it on the 360, but I guess I'm just gonna have to get it in the Steam sale now. I find it almost impossible to play games without an inverted option, It's not something I'm able to just adapt to.

This is odd to me. Do you invert your mouse cursor too? Most of the time in the Walking Dead, that's all the cursor really is.

@myketuna said:

@jasonefmonk said:

As a side note, it doesn't seem like any of the bombcrew are inverted players. I seem to remember them talking about it once, but can't remember their preference.

I believe Vinny is inverted and maybe Brad? Besides that, the rest are "normies". And they fucking "hate" us (the inverted folk).

Vinny and Drew both play with inverted, pretty sure the rest are normies.

#13 Posted by yoshimitz707 (2450 posts) -
@myketuna Vinny is but don't insult Brad like that! He would never stoop so low!
#14 Posted by MikkaQ (10268 posts) -

@myketuna said:

@jasonefmonk said:

As a side note, it doesn't seem like any of the bombcrew are inverted players. I seem to remember them talking about it once, but can't remember their preference.

I believe Vinny is inverted and maybe Brad? Besides that, the rest are "normies". And they fucking "hate" us (the inverted folk).

As they should. You guys have your own special circle of hell. Every time you try to look to the right, you look to the left.

#15 Posted by lclay (383 posts) -

I think inverted controls are stupid. Push the stick in the direction you want the cursor to move, why would you you want it to do the opposite?

#16 Posted by myketuna (1653 posts) -

@yoshimitz707 said:

@myketuna Vinny is but don't insult Brad like that! He would never stoop so low!

@MikkaQ said:

@myketuna said:

@jasonefmonk said:

As a side note, it doesn't seem like any of the bombcrew are inverted players. I seem to remember them talking about it once, but can't remember their preference.

I believe Vinny is inverted and maybe Brad? Besides that, the rest are "normies". And they fucking "hate" us (the inverted folk).

As they should. You guys have your own special circle of hell. Every time you try to look to the right, you look to the left.

The SUPERIOR method will eventually win out. Every few hundred millennia, evolution leaps forward. We already are the better men. *more X-Men movie quotes*

#17 Edited by mekon (273 posts) -

I can play with non-inverted controls, but I really prefer having inverted controls. It makes sense to me, my game head tilts forward so I'm looking down (maybe a flight sim or an ID shooter habit). Playing with non-inverted comtrols is like using an Etch-A-Sketch to me, which is fine for that but I like the feeling that I push forward to look down. I've no problem with linear shooting gallery games because the camera angle doesn't change that much, and there's few 3D issues with targets at different elevations. I've tried using non-inverted controls with some FPSs, but it always felt awkward and distracted me from the game somehow with FPS games.

#18 Posted by HistoryInRust (6274 posts) -

@lclay said:

I think inverted controls are stupid. Push the stick in the direction you want the cursor to move, why would you you want it to do the opposite?

For me, it's because I played a lot of flight sims growing up. Joysticks configurations always defaulted to inverted. Luckily, I can acclimate after a while to standard controls, but I'm much more comfortable being upside-down.

#19 Posted by Quid_Pro_Bono (239 posts) -

@mekon said:

...It makes sense to me, my game head tilts forward so I'm looking down (maybe a flight sim or an ID shooter habit)...

This is totally what it is for me. The first time I touched a controller without inverted controls was the first time I played Halo on my friend's xbox. I asked "Why would you do this. It's insane." It just feels so unnatural.

To be clear, however, I don't invert X-axis. That shit is subhuman.

#20 Posted by GorillaMoPena (1935 posts) -

People are not planes.

#21 Posted by fodigga (123 posts) -

You guys are crazy

#22 Posted by Kerned (1169 posts) -

@HistoryInRust said:

@lclay said:

I think inverted controls are stupid. Push the stick in the direction you want the cursor to move, why would you you want it to do the opposite?

For me, it's because I played a lot of flight sims growing up. Joysticks configurations always defaulted to inverted. Luckily, I can acclimate after a while to standard controls, but I'm much more comfortable being upside-down.

Precisely this. I tend to want to "pull down" to look up, as one would in a flight sim. It's just the way I've always done it. I don't invert the x-axis or anything crazy like that (seriously, who is that for?). Back on topic though, I generally can't play games without inverting the y-axis, and I got used to it in this game very quickly. As someone else pointed out, it's basically just a cursor. I don't invert my mouse or trackpad, so it was easy to adapt.

#23 Posted by SethPhotopoulos (5117 posts) -

It's really a non-issue in this game.

#24 Posted by LikeaSsur (1495 posts) -

@lclay said:

I think inverted controls are stupid. Push the stick in the direction you want the cursor to move, why would you you want it to do the opposite?

That's why. Also, wow on getting a refund because of no invert options.

#25 Posted by SethPhotopoulos (5117 posts) -

@LikeaSsur said:

@lclay said:

I think inverted controls are stupid. Push the stick in the direction you want the cursor to move, why would you you want it to do the opposite?

That's why. Also, wow on getting a refund because of no invert options.

Well in non-inverted it feels like you are the character instead of controlling one.

#26 Posted by Kerned (1169 posts) -

@LikeaSsur said:

@lclay said:

I think inverted controls are stupid. Push the stick in the direction you want the cursor to move, why would you you want it to do the opposite?

That's why. Also, wow on getting a refund because of no invert options.

Oh this is terrific! I'm going to stop trying to explain to people why I invert and just show them this.

#27 Posted by gike987 (1750 posts) -

@Kerned said:

@LikeaSsur said:

@lclay said:

I think inverted controls are stupid. Push the stick in the direction you want the cursor to move, why would you you want it to do the opposite?

That's why. Also, wow on getting a refund because of no invert options.

Oh this is terrific! I'm going to stop trying to explain to people why I invert and just show them this.

If that's the case you should invert the X-axis too. If you move the back of the characters head left he will look right. Only inverting Y-axis ,like most people do, makes no sense.

#28 Posted by Kerned (1169 posts) -

@gike987: It really comes back to airplanes for me. Pull back to go up. Push left to turn left.

I don't understand why non-inverters get so bent out of shape about people inverting. Can't the inverters and non-inverters just live together in peace and harmony? 'Tis the season blah blah blah.

#29 Posted by haggis (1677 posts) -

@Kerned said:

@gike987: It really comes back to airplanes for me. Pull back to go up. Push left to turn left.

I don't understand why non-inverters get so bent out of shape about people inverting....

It's the internet, that's why. The attitude is completely irrational.

Inversion makes more sense to me, for all the reasons shown above. It's a long-held habit, and virtually no effort at all for a developer to support. There's no excuse to leave it out, and so when it is left out (pretty rare, actually) it bugs the hell out of me. I got used to it for this game, but when things became tense I sometimes screwed up because instinct had me moving the stick in the wrong direction. I'm hoping for Season 2, Telltale fixes this and adds inversion as an option.

#30 Posted by eccentrix (1505 posts) -

@jasonefmonk said:

I want a similar experience that I got from playing Heavy Rain. I want to be immersed and not be worried about the accuracy of what I'm doing. When I have to make quick decisions I want the response to be natural and intuitive.

I don't invert my controls and the action parts never felt natural or intuitive to me in this game. I was always fully aware of the buttons I was pressing.

#31 Posted by jasonefmonk (350 posts) -

Just wanted to come back and say that after playing through episode one, I ended up purchasing the rest of the season and finished it last night. For the most part the reticle isn't attached to your character in any meaningful way. It really does move around like a cursor as said.

That was a fun and powerful experience. There were a few instances where frame hitches caused me to miss actionable moments and I had to re-load. That sucked but I still loved the experience. I don't know that this has as much player agency as Heavy Rain but it's story is better told and without loose ends.

#32 Posted by 49th (2691 posts) -

Turn the controller upside down.

#33 Posted by Bell_End (1208 posts) -

@LikeaSsur said:

@lclay said:

I think inverted controls are stupid. Push the stick in the direction you want the cursor to move, why would you you want it to do the opposite?

That's why. Also, wow on getting a refund because of no invert options.

do left and right gt inverted too.

#34 Posted by kre8havoc (173 posts) -

@jasonefmonk said:

@HistoryInRust said:

You don't think filing for a refund because it doesn't have inverted controls is a bit of an overreaction? You could just try to tough it out. I play inverted and got used to the controls within the first episode. Plus, the game barely requires you have sharp, shooter-like reflexes.

That's good to hear, however I don't think I overreacted by requesting a refund. I would not have bought it if I had known before hand; I think that's pretty telling. I want a similar experience that I got from playing Heavy Rain. I want to be immersed and not be worried about the accuracy of what I'm doing. When I have to make quick decisions I want the response to be natural and intuitive. I don't want to be loading a save because I didn't do what I intended at a crucial moment. Not playing inverted y-axis is tough for me, it's how I've always played.

To me it qualifies as broken, and maybe that is my overstep. But I see it as a necessary accommodation like left handed control options and subtitles.

What you are worried about is not really too frequent in the game. All the crucial moments where I died loaded me right back at the moment where it killed me. Controls are actually a very small part of the game. The crucial stuff is the snap decisions you have to make and those are mostly done on the d-pad. If you have a pc that can run it, perhaps try it on there, it's on sale right now on steam, and if you prefer the controller you can always plug in an xbox controller if you have one.

#35 Posted by jasonefmonk (350 posts) -

@kre8havoc: Thanks for the reply, but already went ahead and found out for myself. I finished the game on PS3. I posted somewhere above you.

@jasonefmonk said:

Just wanted to come back and say that after playing through episode one, I ended up purchasing the rest of the season and finished it last night. For the most part the reticle isn't attached to your character in any meaningful way. It really does move around like a cursor as said.

That was a fun and powerful experience. There were a few instances where frame hitches caused me to miss actionable moments and I had to re-load. That sucked but I still loved the experience. I don't know that this has as much player agency as Heavy Rain but it's story is better told and without loose ends.

#36 Posted by clush (410 posts) -

Controlling the action in this game sucks regardless of inversion settings. That said, non inverted master race!

#37 Posted by Bourbon_Warrior (4523 posts) -

Why would you need inverted controls, it may as well be a mouse cursor. Do you turn you mouse back to front when you are on a computer?

#38 Posted by Napalm (9020 posts) -

I don't understand non-inversion. The analog stick isn't a mouse. You don't rest your hand on it and move a cursor free-flow. You're controlling a head, basically. Pull down to look up, pull up to look down. A mouse is a mouse, and a cursor is a cursor. Nothing needs to be inverted in that scenario, and The Walking Dead isn't an issue without it, luckily.

#39 Posted by MildMolasses (3213 posts) -

@Napalm said:

I don't understand non-inversion. The analog stick isn't a mouse. You don't rest your hand on it and move a cursor free-flow. You're controlling a head, basically. Pull down to look up, pull up to look down. A mouse is a mouse, and a cursor is a cursor. Nothing needs to be inverted in that scenario, and The Walking Dead isn't an issue without it, luckily.

That is true. However there was a shooting sequence in ep.3 where that did become an issue, and boy was it frustrating

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.