Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Walking Dead

Game » consists of 41 releases. Released Nov 21, 2012

Presenting an original story in the same franchise as the comic book series of the same name, The Walking Dead is a five-part adventure game from Telltale that follows the story of a convicted murderer, his guardianship over a young girl, and his co-operation with a roaming group of survivors in a zombie apocalypse.

The ending felt abrupt? (spoilers)

Deathstriker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Deathstriker

I liked this game a lot... I definitely understand all the acclaim. I got the game through the recent Steam sale and beat it today in about a week. All the episodes end in a somewhat cliffhanger but still satisfying way besides the last one, which is obviously the most important since it's basically the season finale. Lee watches her go through the door, dies, and it ends... wow, that was satisfying! I know there's a scene after credits, but I still would've liked a little more since I'm guessing we have to wait until late summer/the fall at the earliest for season 2. Lee's final moments were perfect, but it felt like there should've been something after that. Anyone else feel that way?

This felt more like a TV show than video game and I can't picture a good TV show ending in such a way. Also, I was kinda hoping everyone's story would finish this season and season two would be about a completely new group in a new setting. Odds are the two people at the end are Christa and Omid or they'll at least be in season two, since they were the only characters in the game with no way for them to die. I'd also like real choices in the next season, but I doubt that's happening.

sgtsphynx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 32

#2  Edited By sgtsphynx  Moderator

Should have had Clem shoot Lee, might have been more what you were looking for.

Cold_Wolven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Cold_Wolven

It did end rather suddenly and I'm hoping Season 2 if it's made will continue with the character Clementine as she is left to fend for herself.

poser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#4  Edited By poser

Good game writing is a lot like TV, because you have to write in segments.

The ending was fine because they are doing another season -- hopefully with a better engine.

EVO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By EVO
    @Deathstriker said:

Odds are the two people at the end are Christa and Omid or they'll at least be in season two

Or bandits. It'd be cool if the second season picks up years from the first, from the point of view of Clem, now a teenage bandit. Somewhere throughout the season she encounters Omid and Christa and has to decide their fate, or better yet, deliver Christa's baby. Christa dies giving birth and Omid is killed by the bandits. Clem becomes a mother.
    granderojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By granderojo

Actually if you think about it the game ended during episode 4. You knew Lee was going to eat it in episode 5 eventually, so the fact they took an entire episode just to end his story was actually rather slow progression.

Deathstriker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Deathstriker

@SgtSphynx said:

I tried to play it as if "I was Lee" and making her kill him seemed like the selfish decision. I've seen the other ending and it still ends abruptly to me.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By Milkman

@Deathstriker said:

@SgtSphynx said:

I tried to play it as if "I was Lee" and making her kill him seemed like the selfish decision. I've seen the other ending and it still ends abruptly to me.

What exactly were you expecting? An epilogue?

kedi2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By kedi2

I felt the ending was a bit abrupt and flat as well. I still really enjoyed the game, but episode 5 was a bit iffy for me between the ending and the absurdity of the car guy.

Mrsignerman44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Mrsignerman44

The only thing wrong with the ending was the post credits scene, flawless ending in my opinion although the episode itself was a bit short.

Deathstriker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Deathstriker

@Milkman said:

@Deathstriker said:

@SgtSphynx said:

No, I was expecting an actual ending... not credits 3 seconds after he dies lol. Maybe a few scenes with Clem trying to find Omid/Christa, her seeing Kenny as a zombie, her escaping from Savannah, or a million other things besides a quick after credits scene in an area that looks more like the midwest than south.

Genkkaku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#12  Edited By Genkkaku

That whole episode felt like is was building up to the moment.. And as soon as the enter that room you realize that you're never leaving and this is the end.. The episode was a little short but it never felt abrupt..

swoxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By swoxx

@Genkkaku said:

That whole episode felt like is was building up to the moment.. And as soon as the enter that room you realize that you're never leaving and this is the end.. The episode was a little short but it never felt abrupt..

This.

I thought the ending was amazing. Also, Lee's story ending the way it began was a really nice touch. (Him being in handcuffs in the first scene and the last scene)

yoshimitz707

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#14  Edited By yoshimitz707
    @Deathstriker What are you talking about? That was an actual ending. The 3 seconds with Clementine at the end were even too much. You played Lee's story through the whole thing and his story ended.
    probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By probablytuna

@Deathstriker said:

@Milkman said:

@Deathstriker said:

@SgtSphynx said:

No, I was expecting an actual ending... not credits 3 seconds after he dies lol. Maybe a few scenes with Clem trying to find Omid/Christa, her seeing Kenny as a zombie, her escaping from Savannah, or a million other things besides a quick after credits scene in an area that looks more like the midwest than south.

I would say that ending is about as perfect as it can be. Do we really need to see Clem escaping from Savannah? What does it accomplish for the story?

I think they made the right move by not tying all the loose ends. Not seeing Kenny as a zombie gives them some wiggle room if they ever find a way to bring him back in. Also I think the last scene where the two silhouettes are hinted at being Omid and Christa is good enough of a tease to set up future potential episodes. Of course I kinda don't want to see anyone return other than Clementine so she can be the only connection for what's to come.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#16  Edited By Animasta

@EVO said:

@Deathstriker said:

Odds are the two people at the end are Christa and Omid or they'll at least be in season two

Or bandits. It'd be cool if the second season picks up years from the first, from the point of view of Clem, now a teenage bandit. Somewhere throughout the season she encounters Omid and Christa and has to decide their fate, or better yet, deliver Christa's baby. Christa dies giving birth and Omid is killed by the bandits. Clem becomes a mother.

>years

it doesn't take years to gestate a baby you know

Genkkaku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Genkkaku

@Swoxx: Oh damn I didn't really notice that, I was probably to caught up in the moment.. But I like how that lends to him starting/ ending with no hope but in the meantime he has used what life he had to save and prepare Clem for whatever comes, damn such a great game..

@Deathstriker said:

@Milkman said:

@Deathstriker said:

@SgtSphynx said:

It was always about Lee and Lee's story that's outside of that, and to be told another time but Lee's story lived and died with him..

Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Ghostiet
    @Deathstriker said:

@Milkman said:

@Deathstriker said:

@SgtSphynx said:

But why? Why ruin the pacing and show pointless detail that does nothing to enhance the story? It's like complaining that Episode 2 starts after a time skip.

I understand what you're getting at, but what you are talking about serves absolutely no purpose to the larger story. Had they cut off to the credits immediately after Lee passes out in the street and then that little stinger happened, I would agree, but that doesn't happen. Lee dies and Clementine leaves. If it were like in Mass Effect 3, were they failed to provide crucial information about the larger arc and universe without properly explaining why that information isn't given, I could also agree, but that doesn't happen either. It was Lee's story and Lee's story ended with the end of his life.

@Swoxx: Exactly. There's another subtle callback to the first episode - Lee supports himself over a car/counter  after being injured and slowly slides forward. And the fact that he faces another cop zombie.

KingLouis51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#19  Edited By KingLouis51

Maybe it's just me but the ending was abrupt for a very good reason: You ARE Lee. So when Lee dies, you die. In both endings the game cuts to black at the moment of Lee's death. That's no coincidence. Death is abrupt.

I do have a big problem with the post-credits scene, though. Since I died in that room, there's no way the game should have shown me anything that Lee could not see. I can't remember a single moment throughout the game that was not from Lee's perspective, so why the ending?

And you (the OP) say you can't imagine a TV show ending so abruptly, then look up the ending to The Sopranos.

artelinarose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By artelinarose

@Animasta said:

@EVO said:

@Deathstriker said:

>years

Thank you, this was really bothering me.

Jertje

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Jertje

Eh... I also felt the ending was abrupt and perhaps even a bit of a let-down. However, I see no way to improve upon it considering the direction in which they took the story when Lee got bit. There's no real way to continue the story after Lee's death and, similarly, there is no way to make his death any more sad or less sudden. Well actually, all I can think of is that the player manages to get Clem to safety before their final moment together. The transition of Lee's physical state from "Clem I'm here to save you" to "Clem I can't walk anymore and I'm dying" was perhaps a bit sudden, although of course he did black out at some point and - in my case - was one arm short. The point is, when I was playing (besides the final room) I never felt that Lee was close to death. At least not close enough to get ready for an ending. Having the player lead Clem to safety as Lee's last act of care would offer more closure for the character, and if done correctly would have no real negative effect on the 'moment' and all the emotion that comes with it. I guess it all depends on the direction in which they want to take the series as a whole. The short last scene has to be related to that.

MetalGearSunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By MetalGearSunny

@SgtSphynx said:

What? Everyone gets the epilogue regardless of what they choose.

MetalGearSunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By MetalGearSunny

At the very least, I think Lilly has the best chance of returning in season 2.

Avatar image for thesoutherndandy
    TheSouthernDandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By TheSouthernDandy

I kinda agree in so far as when it ended I was sorta freaking out about what happened to Clem. Like unreasonably worried about this person who doesn't actually exist but at the same time I think it makes for an effective ending. Nothing's wrapped up, you don't even get a temporary conclusion where Clem is safe for a little while. It piled worry on top of the already incredibly sad (at least for me) finale. I hated them for ending it like that and I also loved them for it. PROVIDED that they continue her story or at least tell you what happens to her in season 2. If they don't ever go back to Clem I will burn their offices to the ground.

I swear to god Telltale, you're on notice.

EVO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By EVO
    @Artemesia said:

@Animasta said:

@EVO said:

@Deathstriker said:

>years

Thank you, this was really bothering me.

When I said "or better yet", I kinda meant that as a different scenario altogether.
    StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#26  Edited By StarvingGamer

No

Avatar image for live2brighteous
    Live2bRighteous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Live2bRighteous

I liked the ending. It made me cry a lot.

Deathstriker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Deathstriker

@KingLouis51 said:

Maybe it's just me but the ending was abrupt for a very good reason: You ARE Lee. So when Lee dies, you die. In both endings the game cuts to black at the moment of Lee's death. That's no coincidence. Death is abrupt.

I do have a big problem with the post-credits scene, though. Since I died in that room, there's no way the game should have shown me anything that Lee could not see. I can't remember a single moment throughout the game that was not from Lee's perspective, so why the ending?

And you (the OP) say you can't imagine a TV show ending so abruptly, then look up the ending to The Sopranos.

I was actually going to bring up The Sopranos after just reading someone's comment. I don't think TWD ending is anywhere near that level of being bad, unsatisfying, or controversial, but the situations are slightly similar. From what I've seen/heard, most people hate or at the very least are indifferent to that lame ending for a really good TV show.. I really liked the ending with Lee, but going to the credits so quickly wasn't a good point to leave us hanging for at least another year. That would be like if Game of Thrones season one ended a few seconds after a certain beheading.

RIDEBIRD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By RIDEBIRD

@Deathstriker: I thought the Sopranos ending was goddamn excellent. Loved the one in TWD as well, the abruptness just fit the whole game. Hell, people died in literally seconds out of nowhere all the time. You never knew when it was coming. With Lee you knew you were dying the whole episode, and I was just waiting for it to end. All I cared about was saving Clem and making sure she was at least okay, and then I was fine with dying. I think the game portrayed that well.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#30  Edited By ArtisanBreads

Yeah not sure what you were looking for. I found it to be awesome, and the after credit scene left the perfect amount of uncertainty to me.

It really wrapped up Lee and that's all you can ask for. I'm glad they left themselves a lot of freedom to take Season 2 in all sorts of directions.

Ducksworth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Ducksworth

I don't like the idea of controlling Clem. She already has her personality established and giving you the option to play as "Scumbag Clem" would go against almost everything we know about her from the first season. It needs to be a new character.

Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Cloudenvy

I thought the ending was one of the few good things in the last 3 episodes of that game. Of course I think it also shat all over it by having a totally unneeded post-credits sequence.

Eidderf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Eidderf

I hope they don't continue with Clementine at all in the next season, the uncertainty of her situation at the end perfectly reflects the world, she is never really going to be safe no matter where she ends up, there's no riding off into the sunset in this scenario so I don't really understand what people want to happen with her. Trying to reassure the player in any further way about her fate would feel like a cop out to me.

I don't mind characters like Molly, Lily or the cancer survivors returning but I hope Krista, Omid (since their appearance would kind of spoil the after credits scene even if I agree it was unnecessary anyway) and Clem are left alone as far as the next season is concerned

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#34  Edited By ArtisanBreads

@Eidderf said:

I hope they don't continue with Clementine at all in the next season, the uncertainty of her situation at the end perfectly reflects the world, she is never really going to be safe no matter where she ends up, there's no riding off into the sunset in this scenario so I don't really understand what people want to happen with her. Trying to reassure the player in any further way about her fate would feel like a cop out to me.

I don't mind characters like Molly, Lily or the cancer survivors returning but I hope Krista, Omid (since their appearance would kind of spoil the after credits scene even if I agree it was unnecessary anyway) and Clem are left alone as far as the next season is concerned

I know what you mean but I would like if Clem showed up and how you "raised" her in the game reflected who she had become. As in more passionate vs tough as nails. I don't want her to be the player character though.

defe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By defe

I thought it was a bit peculiar that Lee was so eager to get himself and Clementine out of the hotel. At least with the dialogue choices I made, I told Christa and Omid to meet us at the hotel, and I asked them to take care of Clem. Lee knew he wasn't going to make it, so why move away from where he told them to meet him? The hotel seemed safe enough. The villain was dead and there were a lot less walkers in there than on the street. At least give it an hour or two.

But yeah, I liked how everything reflected the beginning of the story. I didn't pick up on the part about shuffling along on the counter or the cop zombie, but I got the handcuffs, the injured arm instead of the leg, and Lee giving Clementine a weapon to bash a zombie's head in rather than the other way around. I was a bit surprised that she didn't keep bashing it after it was dead like I did with the walker in her house. Good ending overall. Even if the logic of leaving the hotel didn't sit too well with me, it's definitely more dramatic if she doesn't find Christa and Omid.

kadayi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By kadayi

The sole purpose of the epilogue cut scene is to provide you the player with some validation that Clementine survives, and that your decisions as Lee meant something. If they'd left it hanging then people would be wondering whether Clem made it out of the City alive.

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By laserbolts

@Deathstriker said:

@KingLouis51 said:

I was actually going to bring up The Sopranos after just reading someone's comment. I don't think TWD ending is anywhere near that level of being bad, unsatisfying, or controversial, but the situations are slightly similar. From what I've seen/heard, most people hate or at the very least are indifferent to that lame ending for a really good TV show.. I really liked the ending with Lee, but going to the credits so quickly wasn't a good point to leave us hanging for at least another year. That would be like if Game of Thrones season one ended a few seconds after a certain beheading.

I thought the ending to the sopranos was fantastic. That last scene was genius.

KingLouis51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#38  Edited By KingLouis51

@laserbolts:

Everything about The Sopranos was genius, not just the ending, as I'm sure you'll agree. I honestly think it's TV's greatest achievement. I said it ended abruptly, not poorly.

Terramagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Terramagi

Sometimes you don't get a send-off. Sometimes people just fucking die.

Your perspective was trained on Lee the entire series. It never once left. The only time it does is the stinger scene.

Deathstriker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Deathstriker

@KingLouis51 said:

@laserbolts:

Everything about The Sopranos was genius, not just the ending, as I'm sure you'll agree. I honestly think it's TV's greatest achievement. I said it ended abruptly, not poorly.

I'd definitely disagree with that. I like and respect the show, but it's not even the best on its channel. The Wire is HBO's biggest achievement IMO and I'd put Deadwood, Game of Thrones, Rome, and Six Feet Under on the same level, actually some of those a little bit better, than The Sopranos. That's even with me excluding its lame cop-out of an ending.

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By laserbolts

@Deathstriker: how was the ending a cop out? We know what happens to Tony.

Deathstriker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Deathstriker

@laserbolts said:

@Deathstriker: how was the ending a cop out? We know what happens to Tony.

No one knows what happens to Tony. Whether he goes to jail, dies, or keeps on going is just fan speculation. Not creating an ending and letting each fan decide for themselves is lazy/easy writing, not that TWD did that.

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By laserbolts

@Deathstriker:

Just pay attention to the last scene and its easy to piece together. It cuts to silent black because it switches to Tony's POV the second he gets shot. Also the food in the trunk guy at the end of TWD is a prime example of lazy writing if you ask me.

Deathstriker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Deathstriker

@laserbolts said:

@Deathstriker:

Just pay attention to the last scene and its easy to piece together. It cuts to silent black because it switches to Tony's POV the second he gets shot. Also the food in the trunk guy at the end of TWD is a prime example of lazy writing if you ask me.

I was fine with the villain, since it gave a game about choice a sense of karma. The only problem there is that the game doesn't really have choice, since the same stuff happens no matter what, which I hope they change in season 2. What you think happens to Tony is just speculation, it's up to each person to decide (yawn!!!). You saying you know what happens to him is like someone saying they know what's in the briefcase in Pulp Fiction... no one really knows; that's the point.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.