Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings

Game » consists of 16 releases. Released May 17, 2011

The sequel to 2007's critically acclaimed role-playing game, The Witcher. Players again take control of Geralt of Rivia in this story-focused adventure.

1 free game with GOG pre-order.

Avatar image for deactivated-57beb9d651361
    deactivated-57beb9d651361

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

Due to licensing and legal reasons, EU users have to pay ~$16 more for the game. In return, GOG are offering a choice of 5 games on release day (not to mention a sick little pre-order bonus, which you can get right away).

The choices are:

Gothic 2 Gold
    Arkania 1 + 2
    Realms of Arkania 3
    Divine Divinity
    Beyond Divinity

I have absolutely no idea what any of these games are. Any ideas on which one I should go for?

Who else is pre-ordering through GOG? Their 'no-DRM' policy is pretty appealing. 
    Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By Enigma777

Weird the first Witcher is not on that list...

Contro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Contro

Meh, dull choice. I've already pre-ordered the collectors edition anyway.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By WinterSnowblind

GoG is hands down the best choice for buying the game (other than maybe physically) I don't know why anybody would go for Steam over it.  It's great that they're giving European users a fair deal here too.  For the old games, I'd recommend Divine Divinity or Gothic 2 but they're all pretty old school RPG's, you should look into them a bit before choosing.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Enigma777 said:
    " Weird the first Witcher is not on that list... "
    No shit. Considering I've lost my EE disc, too, it would've been the better choice.

@Contro said:

" Meh, dull choice. I've already pre-ordered the collectors edition anyway. "

Is the only difference between the Digital Premium Edition (Making of, Soundtrack, World Map, Game Guide, Manual, Pamphlet, Papercrafts) and the Collectors Edition the fact that it comes in a swanky box (and that those bonuses are physical, obviously)?

@WinterSnowblind said:
    " GoG is hands down the best choice for buying the game (other than maybe physically) I don't know why anybody would go for Steam over it.  It's great that they're giving European users a fair deal here too.  For the old games, I'd recommend Divine Divinity or Gothic 2 but they're all pretty old school RPG's, you should look into them a bit before choosing. "
    The only reason I would consider going with Steam over GOG, is that I have a decent games library on that platform and it's be nice to integrate The Witcher 2 into it. Alas...

Thanks for the heads up. I'll look up some reviews and/or videos.
    Contro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Contro
    @GetEveryone said:
    "
    @Enigma777 said:
    No shit. Considering I've lost my EE disc, too, it would've been the better choice.

@Contro said:

" Meh, dull choice. I've already pre-ordered the collectors edition anyway. "

Is the only difference between the Digital Premium Edition (Making of, Soundtrack, World Map, Game Guide, Manual, Pamphlet, Papercrafts) and the Collectors Edition the fact that it comes in a swanky box (and that those bonuses are physical, obviously)?

@WinterSnowblind said:
    " GoG is hands down the best choice for buying the game (other than maybe physically) I don't know why anybody would go for Steam over it.  It's great that they're giving European users a fair deal here too.  For the old games, I'd recommend Divine Divinity or Gothic 2 but they're all pretty old school RPG's, you should look into them a bit before choosing. "
    The only reason I would consider going with Steam over GOG, is that I have a decent games library on that platform and it's be nice to integrate The Witcher 2 into it. Alas...

Thanks for the heads up. I'll look up some reviews and/or videos.
    "
    No, there's a touch more including a Geralt bust.

No Caption Provided

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Contro: Hmm, that looks awesome. If I had more money, or would actually ever use any of that, I might consider it. 

The box itself is probably the main reason to dive in.
    Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By WinterSnowblind
    @Contro: No Witcher medallion though.  Very disappointing, considering how demanded they were after the original game.  It would have been much more appealing if it included one, or a wooden box for playing poker dice.
    Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#9  Edited By Marz

I might choose Divine Divinity, it's the game before Divinity II: Ego Draconis  (which i might buy someday when Dragon Knight Saga goes on sale again).

Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#10  Edited By Rhaknar

got my steam pre-order in place, im too OCD to have non steam games anyway

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By SeriouslyNow
    @GetEveryone said:
    "
    @Enigma777 said:
    No shit. Considering I've lost my EE disc, too, it would've been the better choice."

I'm pretty sure that CDProjekt don't own the exclusive publishing rights to The Witcher.  Yep, just checked and they only own the rights to publish it in Poland - Atari/Infogrames holds the rights to publish it in the rest of the world.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@SeriouslyNow: Hm, that would make sense. With regard to The Witcher 2, it looks like CDProjekt are publishing it in Central Europe by themselves, but how does that account for them releasing it through GOG drm-free? Surely, there must be problems with it being available for download through the service in NA and Western Europe?

Licensing rights are trippy business.
    Contro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Contro
    @GetEveryone said:
    " @Contro: Hmm, that looks awesome. If I had more money, or would actually ever use any of that, I might consider it. 

The box itself is probably the main reason to dive in.
    "

Well I'm a big fan of The Witcher so it's worth the expense to me. It's a great Collectors Edition though, rarely do PC gamers get something so sweet. I intend to hand paint the bust myself, I used to work for Spitting Image in the 80's doing something similar. 

I've got the original Collector's Edition.

No Caption Provided

Highly Detailed 200-Page Artbook

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By SeriouslyNow
    @GetEveryone said:
    " @SeriouslyNow: Hm, that would make sense. With regard to The Witcher 2, it looks like CDProjekt are publishing it in Central Europe by themselves, but how does that account for them releasing it through GOG drm-free? Surely, there must be problems with it being available for download through the service in NA and Western Europe? Licensing rights are trippy business. "
    GoG is hosted in Poland. ;)

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@SeriouslyNow: Ah, thanks, dude. That makes a lot more sense.
    SlasherMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By SlasherMan
    @WinterSnowblind said:
    " @Contro: No Witcher medallion though.  Very disappointing, considering how demanded they were after the original game.  It would have been much more appealing if it included one, or a wooden box for playing poker dice. "
    This. A million times this.
    I would have definitely picked up the CE if they included a medallion. Wasted opportunity on their part.
    Contro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Contro

I think I may carve one in wax and cast it in iron, all I need are some images for reference.

Glowcew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Glowcew

Since GOG is in Poland, you can actually get play the game on the 16th around 6 o'clock pm US EST. If you predownloaded, you just have to download the installer. 

katanalauncher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By katanalauncher
    @Enigma777 said:
    You know Witcher 1 is $5 on GoG right now right?
    Dingofighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#20  Edited By Dingofighter

Wasn't the free game in addition to a $16 credit on GOG?

gike987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By gike987

I think everyone gets a free game. Europeans gets a free game and $16 to spend on games from GOG.

ectoplasma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#22  Edited By ectoplasma

Arkania and Gothic II are both German Fantasy games. Arkania is VERY oldschool. They are good games, I played them alot when I was a kid. It's based on an in depth RPG system with a plethora of skills and u can easily spend a more than an hour creating your party. It features turn based combat, a world map you can travel around and cities to explore. But I wouldn't really look into it unless you still have fun playing ancient games. Gothic is a first person RPG and Gothic II is actually pretty good interation of the series. It's old, but not that old ;). The both divine games I don't really know and can't help you with but from what I see I would recommend Gothic II.

Xealot42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#23  Edited By Xealot42
    @gike987: Yeah I got a free game in the US but no credit so I think you are correct. I picked Divine Divinity since I bought Divinity II TDKS in a steam sale.

Also, it seems like GOG now lets you set your location rather than scanning your IP so Australians won't have to worry about not being able to play the game.
    Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#24  Edited By Animasta

I've heard divine divinity is the least old school game you can choose....

SLowrAM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 16

#25  Edited By SLowrAM

Divine Divinity was great I liked it better than Beyond Divinity (didn't care for that much) and even Divinity II and Gothic games.  I loved the summon spells (and I think freeze) and improving my lockpick skill, felt like a true RPG where you notice the difference in your level ups. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.