Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings

Game » consists of 16 releases. Released May 17, 2011

The sequel to 2007's critically acclaimed role-playing game, The Witcher. Players again take control of Geralt of Rivia in this story-focused adventure.

dark mode

lusence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By lusence

n1 manage to beat the game in the mode?i tried it till i took an arrow in the knee took 75% of my health..... ouch!

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Ravenlight

@lusence:

Threads starting off with a post that was obviously not proofread and looks like it came from a chat room are generally poorly received. You might have better luck in the future if you take a sec to re-read what you've typed before hitting Post :)

To answer your question though, no I haven't messed around with Dark Mode yet. I beat the game on PC on Insane before they added Dark Mode to the game and that experience soured me on wanting to pick it back up again. I can't imagine anyone beating the one-on-one boss fights without cheesing their way through it.

lusence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By lusence

the chat log sucks here in myh def. takes like a few secs for my actual text to appear imagine the frustration, so f-it, if a little bad grammer and a dumb joke cause such hostility its just obviously my fault...

Gravier251

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Gravier251

I'm playing through on dark mode now that the enhanced edition is out. Just beat the Kayren and finished crafting the full blasphemers set for act 1. Feels rather potent, drains health from enemies on every slash with the weapons in that set and the chestpiece has in excess of 20 armour, etc.

Takes a while to click but past that Dark mode seems to be becoming pretty straightforward, especially now that I have the first extremely powerful dark mode only outfit fully assembled.

lusence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By lusence

actually a true story though, first fight and one bolt wastes me. would take some serious replays to get that mode down.

lusence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By lusence

wow good job on kayren must of been flawless!

kyrieee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By kyrieee

The Dark Mode weapons are so annoying to use. I modded out the effect on PC because I couldn't play the game with it. Apparently they didn't address it for the console version.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#8  Edited By Tennmuerti
    @lusence
    Of course people have played through and beat Dark Mode, it's been out on PC for a long time now.
    It's also pretty much just Insane difficulty but with saves and some extra gear.
    Only the start (and a couple of encounters) is actualy hard when playing on Dark Mode and knowing what you are doing, as soon as you get some decent gear, Dark mode is not that bad. By midgame i was having less difficulty then my first playthrough on normal.
    Arrow to the knee joke was lame.

@kyrieee said:

The Dark Mode weapons are so annoying to use. I modded out the effect on PC because I couldn't play the game with it. Apparently they didn't address it for the console version.

That effect was negated if you wore a full dark armor set specific to those weapons.
    NegativeCero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By NegativeCero

I have yet to pick this up. Going through the first game right now. I may fall into the hole Vinny did and read the books though. We'll see. And I thought the Skyrim meme was done.

emergency

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By emergency

I actually found it to be very easy. I know that that might sound a little arrogant or whatever, but it really wasn't enough of a challenge. I ensured I was smart about what I picked up and what traits I got as I went along, included skilling my character appropriately. I also made sure to craft the dark-specific armour and that made combat a little trivial. The only fight that was a little challenging was the dragon and even it died after a few tries. Was a little dissapointed I expected to die a lot more than I did.

theguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By theguy

We don't take kindly to your type around heeyah!

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Tennmuerti
    @emergency said:

I actually found it to be very easy. I know that that might sound a little arrogant or whatever, but it really wasn't enough of a challenge. I ensured I was smart about what I picked up and what traits I got as I went along, included skilling my character appropriately. I also made sure to craft the dark-specific armour and that made combat a little trivial. The only fight that was a little challenging was the dragon and even it died after a few tries. Was a little dissapointed I expected to die a lot more than I did.

You should have tried to do the Operator special boss in Dark mode, Dragon is a pussy compared to him imo.
    kyrieee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By kyrieee

@Tennmuerti said:

@kyrieee said:

That effect was negated if you wore a full dark armor set specific to those weapons.

I mean the visual effect, not the life drain

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Tennmuerti
    @kyrieee said:

@Tennmuerti said:

@kyrieee said:

I mean the visual effect, not the life drain

Oh yeah.
    I didn't find it too anoying myself as (if i remember correctly) it was only present when you took the weapon out.
    And I also pretty much just used dark armor sets but normal weapons since those were usually supperior to dark ones anyway.
    But i can def see people not liking that effect.
    Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#15  Edited By Justin258

@lusence said:

the chat log sucks here in myh def. takes like a few secs for my actual text to appear imagine the frustration, so f-it, if a little bad grammer and a dumb joke cause such hostility its just obviously my fault...

I don't want to be hostile or offensive, I really don't, but your grammar thus far isn't just a "little" bad, it's really bad. The kind of bad that would post something unintelligible. Is it really that hard to clean it up a little bit? It doesn't have to be perfect, just use some punctuation and capitalization.

As for The Witcher 2? I haven't played it.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#16  Edited By Animasta

I'm past the Kayran, I'm in Vergen, got the Blasphemer's set (after installing the mod that lowers the requirements for that shit), it's fuckin HARD. those wraiths in the ruined hospital would kill me in two hits D:

lusence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By lusence

yep that was my point. after that first arrow taking 75% of my life i bagged it. but wow what a game if you can pull off a dark mode vic.

emergency

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By emergency

@Tennmuerti said:

@emergency said:

You should have tried to do the Operator special boss in Dark mode, Dragon is a pussy compared to him imo.

Ahh bollocks. Now I feel like I want to go back and try him, though I'm sort of done and dusted with the Witcher 2.

DBHErazor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By DBHErazor

Im playing it on Dark atm, just got to Act 2. Its kinda challenging but not too hard. First time I played it i completed it on Hard, but this 2nd playthorugh Dark seems easier than Hard, but thats prolly cause ive played it before

lusence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By lusence

so like what sort of build do your use for dark? as far as skills and strat. go? im curious, i just dont think i have the paience or will power to keep a dark game going

Lake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#21  Edited By Lake

I finished my Dark Mode game a couple days ago. Went with a Sign heavy build except for a few skills in the Swordsmanship tree like increased roll distance and less damage from backstabs. My main potions were Swallow, Petri's Filter and Tawny Oil with the liberal use of Grapshot and Dancing Star bombs when I had depleted my Vigor.

Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Scooper

@kyrieee said:

Hey, could you explain to me how to mod out that effect on the PC version? It's really annoying to me, to the point where I am using worse swords so I don't have to see it. Thanks.

Lake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#23  Edited By Lake

@Scooper said:

@kyrieee said:

Hey, could you explain to me how to mod out that effect on the PC version? It's really annoying to me, to the point where I am using worse swords so I don't have to see it. Thanks.

http://witcher.nexusmods.com/mods/221

Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Scooper

@Lake: Thanks, pal.

jozzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By jozzy

Finished the game on normal yesterday, and immediately restarted for the dark mode. I went for a swordmanship guy with upgraded Quen my first playthrough. Is it viable to go for a more magic heavy build in dark mode?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.